The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 6 January 2021, 05:26 AM   #61
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
New upgraded co-axial movement.
Whoop.

Nothing wrong with the old.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 05:34 AM   #62
jumpmaster 175
"TRF" Member

Clasp looks dressier (-1)
More text on the caseback (-1)
Still high polish on the center links (-1)
No new ceramic bezel choice, though this was a done deal for the sapphire version (-1)
Upgraded movement (+1) but I really don't care..the old movement keeps just fine time for me
Still love my Speedy, but underwhelmed with the "upgrades"...zero desire to buy
jumpmaster 175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 05:34 AM   #63
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Whoop.

Nothing wrong with the old.
Nothing wrong with the prior Rolex Sub movement or the AP RO movement either but those still got upgraded along with a price rise. Companies are going to make improvements and raise prices.

Also, the new Speedy's have a thinner case profile.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 05:41 AM   #64
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Well that's unfortunate. No excuse for a modern watch in that price range to not includ some sort of on-the-fly adjustability in the clasp
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 05:45 AM   #65
jumpmaster 175
"TRF" Member

double post - apologies
jumpmaster 175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 05:45 AM   #66
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Wow 18% hike

Ouch!
But look at the improvements. IMO, the 3861 movement alone is worth it. The bracelet is an improvement as well along with the dial. Then there's the dot over the ninety on the bezel (great for the traditionalists).
Old 6 January 2021, 05:58 AM   #67
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpmaster 175 View Post
Clasp looks dressier (-1)
More text on the caseback (-1)
Still high polish on the center links (-1)
No new ceramic bezel choice, though this was a done deal for the sapphire version (-1)
Upgraded movement (+1) but I really don't care..the old movement keeps just fine time for me
Still love my Speedy, but underwhelmed with the "upgrades"...zero desire to buy
Agree and no adjustable clasp and no clasp that resembles this new one with any kind of adjustment so at least we could order one separately (-1000).

I know I sound like a broken record but it means a lot to me and as much as I like some updates I won't even consider this one.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 06:19 AM   #68
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Fratello Watches review said the sides of the bracelet on the hesalite are polished. On the sapphire there's small polished in-between links. Not sure why that's a deal breaker for some.
Old 6 January 2021, 06:27 AM   #69
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I like the look of the new bracelet but also disappointed that it doesn’t seem to have any improvements in adjustability. The gold ones are gorgeous but $$$!
I hope to see one in person soon but no compelling reason to replace my current one.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 06:28 AM   #70
presario
"TRF" Member

As someone with small wrists, I disliked the bracelet on the outgoing Speedmaster because the end links protrude out so far with very little downward bend to hug the wrists. It bothered me so much that I sourced a 1479 bracelet from the early 90's and modified the end links to fit the case of my 311.30.42.30.01.005. The shorter end links, which do not protrude past the lugs, allow smaller wristed Speedmaster Professional fans to enjoy the watch on the bracelet. It will be the same with the new bracelet.

Looks like they went back to the 1479 design and I love it! Here are pics of the 90's 1479 bracelet from omega-addict.com.

And here is a pic of my watch on a modified 1479 that looks very similar to the new model.
Old 6 January 2021, 06:53 AM   #71
alonsowwss
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41
Definitely getting one of this for my first Omega watch.

Time to start saving some cash now :)

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Old 6 January 2021, 07:16 AM   #72
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaggi View Post
But look at the improvements. IMO, the 3861 movement alone is worth it. The bracelet is an improvement as well along with the dial. Then there's the dot over the ninety on the bezel (great for the traditionalists).
Fair points. Whether that warrants nearly a $1,000 increase is debatable but you are correct that the price hike does come with some improvements and modernizing.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 07:20 AM   #73
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
the only improvement that you can really tell without analyzing it too long is the bracelet.
Other than that meeeh

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 07:32 AM   #74
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
When Rolex makes subtle changes, TRF call it "timeless" and "true to its roots" and :that's why Rolex always hold value"
  • New submariner has thinnger lugs. TRF: WOW SUPERAWESOME
  • New submariner has bigger clasp. TRF: I DON"T CARE IT SOMEHOW FITS BETTER
  • New submariner is bigger. TRF: IT REALLY DOESN"T LOOK THAT WAY, IN FACT IT WEARS SMALLER

Omega makes subtle changes, TRF call it "price grab" and "not worth the upgrade"
  • New moontwatch is thinner. TRF: I AM FINE WITH THE OLD ONE
  • New moonwatch has a tapered bracelet. TRF: I FIND 1861 TO BE NICER AND MORE MASCULINE
  • New moonwatch has a better movement. TRF: BUT ITS NOT NASA CERTIFIED

C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 07:39 AM   #75
presario
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0d View Post
When Rolex makes subtle changes, TRF call it "timeless" and "true to its roots" and :that's why Rolex always hold value"
  • New submariner is bigger. TRF: IT REALLY DOESN"T LOOK THAT WAY, IN FACT IT WEARS SMALLER

Omega makes subtle changes, TRF call it "price grab" and "not worth the upgrade"
  • New moonwatch has a tapered bracelet. TRF: I FIND 1861 TO BE NICER AND MORE MASCULINE

Old 6 January 2021, 07:40 AM   #76
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Its.....beautiful.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 07:41 AM   #77
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

LOL
Rolex fan boys
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 08:07 AM   #78
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
Quote:

bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 08:12 AM   #79
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I’m sorry, I don’t get the excitement. Reading Fratello (which must be heavily subsidized by Omega), you’d think the new Speedy were a game changer.

Setting aside the movement, all changes are purely aesthetic. Many happen to be appealing changes (the dial especially), but simple aesthetic changes do not alone justify dramatic price increases. The bracelet is nice looking, but so was the last one (which one is better is a matter of preference).

The insert is still aluminum (even the sapphire version). The clasp still has no micro-adjustment.

The movement is modern and runs to slightly better specs, but the previous was pretty good, too.

What justifies the 20% price increase? I just don’t see it.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 08:13 AM   #80
C0d
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
I’m sorry, I don’t get the excitement. Reading Fratello (which must be heavily subsidized by Omega), you’d think the new Speedy were a game changer.

Setting aside the movement, all changes are purely aesthetic. Many happen to be appealing changes (the dial especially), but they don’t justify a price increase. The bracelet is nice looking, but so was the last one.

The insert is still aluminum (even the sapphire version). The clasp still has no micro-adjustment.

The movement is modern and runs to slightly better specs, but the previous was pretty good, too.

What justifies the 20% price increase? I just don’t see it.
Old 6 January 2021, 08:22 AM   #81
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

But it will sell because :

https://youtu.be/STwVXrnAKy8

The 1861 was imho too cheap for the heritage and historical origin link, 3861 is priced just right and brings also some improvements.

If one prefers old one or the new one is a personal choice, better to have both
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 08:25 AM   #82
C0d
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alllexandru View Post

The 1861 was imho too cheap for the heritage and historical origin link, 3861 is priced just right and brings also some improvements.

If anything now is agood time to score an older variant at an AD. It will only hold its value or go up in the near future.
Old 6 January 2021, 08:38 AM   #83
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If anything now is agood time to score an older variant at an AD. It will only hold its value or go up in the near future.
I agree. Perhaps the price increase is not so much reflecting that the new one is worth 20% more, but rather the old one was underpriced.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 08:39 AM   #84
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I paid $3800 OTD a little more than 3 years Ago for the hesalite .... so glad I did. While nice, agree with a lot of others, other than the movement and slight bracelet improvement (which most people never use I think ), not much has changed. Is new movement worth the $$? Not sure. Regardless for those who don’t own a speedy , i wouldn’t hesalite getting the new one. Will always be classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 08:42 AM   #85
C0d
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
I agree. Perhaps the price increase is not so much reflecting that the new one is worth 20% more, but rather the old one was underpriced.
Yes that can be true as well.

I heard John P mention that several times in his videos. With Rolex being scarce, Omegas at 1/3 of the price are a steal and Omega know it all too well. Be prepared for more price increases. In fact, Omega price increases pre-date Rolex scarcity.

They have made a planned investment in movements, level of fiinish, feature set and have been slowly reviving the brand to somewhat of its former glory. While there is lot of work to be done, I think Swatch are quite thrilled with where they have Omega today.

I think Omegas are going to continue to get more expensive and perhaps still be in demand atleast for as long as Rolex can't fill their cases with desirable models.

The demand in Asia is far too strong so I don't see that happening anytime soon (my code word for a long time ;)).
Old 6 January 2021, 08:52 AM   #86
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by alllexandru View Post

1861 was always available for 30% discount from an AD and upto 40% on grey market. So calling it cheap is totally off the mark when it wasn't even selling at MSRP easily.

Secondly now 3861 will be hard to get especially in the beginning and then buying it at MSRP or near to it with additional 18% price increase will make the watch twice the old model. So, 1861 at $3.5K street price vs $6.3K new watch is huge jump at this point.
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 08:59 AM   #87
C0d
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
1861 was always available for 30% discount from an AD and upto 40% on grey market. So calling it cheap is totally off the mark when it wasn't even selling at MSRP easily.

Secondly now 3861 will be hard to get especially in the beginning and then buying it at MSRP or near to it with additional 18% price increase will make the watch twice the old model. So, 1861 at $3.5K street price vs $6.3K new watch is huge jump at this point.
You can spin this argument whichever way you like. However, all I can say is that part of the world I live in, moonwatch has not been 40% discount. We don't have gray market so the max we could get was 15-20% and even that was scarce last year.

Whether or not its a good strategy time will tell. But I am sure Omega has done their due diligence in determining the course.

Its not new either, they have been doing this consistently over the past 5-10 years. Last year SMP300 got a 13% increase in Canada and they are still like fruit cakes.
Old 6 January 2021, 09:19 AM   #88
mdtddd2007
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, AP, GS
Really like it...gonna add to collection! Love the new bracelet and the 90 dot at Bezel and new movement.
mdtddd2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 09:36 AM   #89
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
Pretty much no difference compared to old bracelet. Just some stripes on the buckle, so no need to get excited!
I thought the new bracelet has half links? If so, that’s a big improvement.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 09:38 AM   #90
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Agree.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote