The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 18 January 2021, 11:05 AM   #91
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paneristinewb View Post
Hahaha. Thanks mate. Amazing to see the community pull together on this. Thanks everyone for the support! Honestly, it was my OCS (and FedEx shipping cost) that’s uncovered this. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paneristi’s roll at a higher level. It’s always been that way.

https://youtu.be/yi3SsIZxTEA
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 11:20 AM   #92
Rolex tom
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex,seiko,Omega
How strange? To remove the hack feature.
Rolex tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 11:28 AM   #93
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Is the newer movement only showing up in non-display back timepieces? Usually when a movement is replaced, especially one with different decoration, the manufacturer would make an announcement with pics and technical details.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 12:51 PM   #94
pereztroika
"TRF" Member

Very interesting downgrade. Here's a picture of the P.9000 hacking lever.

When engaged, the lever touches the balance wheel and stops it from oscillating.

Cheers

Jose

Instagram: @perezcope
pereztroika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 06:50 PM   #95
emtee
"TRF" Member

The fact they have removed features and hide it behind a solid caseback makes me think they've re-badged one of those generic Richemont movements and called it the P9010 to save money.

I think we need to see this new movement asap.

Whatever they've done it's clearly a downgrade and the fact they've tried to sneak it in leaves a sour taste in my mouth towards the brand.

Maybe they figured it's only us watch nerds who are about this sort of thing and don't mind upsetting us to save a few bucks as long as the less informed buyer isn't put off.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 04:45 AM   #96
eonflux
"TRF" Member

This sounds really strange

I also suspect it's not just a simple removal of features, that maybe a different movement replaced the P.9010

When I got my 682, only wanted the display back model which took a while to locate at an AD. Nice movement to look at.

eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 05:07 AM   #97
56Diver
"TRF" Member

Icon19

I actually wish my 1389 had that as well. Its a work of art and for the cost, it should be included. Probably easier and cheaper to have solid titanium/steel, which Panerai seems to be doing more and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
This sounds really strange

I also suspect it's not just a simple removal of features, that maybe a different movement replaced the P.9010

When I got my 682, only wanted the display back model which took a while to locate at an AD. Nice movement to look at.

56Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 05:09 AM   #98
56Diver
"TRF" Member

This was an email posted on two other forums today:

Well, I decided to reach out to Panerai USA regarding this and here is their response:

"Thank you for your email and for your interest in Officine Panerai.

Please be advised that the P.9010 movement used to feature a hacking seconds function, so any timepiece produced before approximately June of 2020 will have this. The movement has since been updated and no longer utilizes these features."

I'm quite shocked they removed hacking seconds and would certainly not be buying any future Panerai with the P.9010 movement.
Old 19 January 2021, 05:46 AM   #99
EdmundGTP
Banned

Disappointing. Can't say I was in the market for another PAM right this minute, but this movement revision doesn't sit good with me.

Removal of hacking seconds just doesn't make sense. The only place that feature wouldn't be missed by me is on a watch that doesn't have a seconds hand.

If a watch has a seconds hand, I want to be able to easily sync it.
EdmundGTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 06:12 AM   #100
BMess
"TRF" Member

Not sure if it’s a help but I just picked up a 1389 this morning which I believe has the P9010 movement. Mine does not have a hacking seconds hand.
BMess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 06:35 AM   #101
drjmlee82
"TRF" Member

I may have gotten lucky.
I just acquired a new 1316(basically same as 1313 but in bracelet).
It does have hacking seconds. I think they released the reference late summer 2020.
Maybe I just got an earlier version?

drjmlee82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 07:29 AM   #102
56Diver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonK View Post
Not sure if it’s a help but I just picked up a 1389 this morning which I believe has the P9010 movement. Mine does not have a hacking seconds hand.
Yours must have been made in the second half of 2020 I think. Yes it has the p9010 as I have that watch. Mine was made in 2019 so my second hand stops
Old 19 January 2021, 08:40 AM   #103
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjmlee82 View Post
I may have gotten lucky.
I just acquired a new 1316(basically same as 1313 but in bracelet).
It does have hacking seconds. I think they released the reference late summer 2020.
Maybe I just got an earlier version?

How do you like the watch? I’m thinking about it.
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 09:10 AM   #104
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

Ok just hung up with Panerai service in Dallas. They told me yes, they are changing to non-hacking for 9010. She said they are hearing a lot of negative feedback from customers about the change and that this has been noted. She believes some official statement and explanation for the change is forthcoming.
She also told me mine will remain hacking after service since it was purchased as such.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 09:35 AM   #105
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman1 View Post
Ok just hung up with Panerai service in Dallas. They told me yes, they are changing to non-hacking for 9010. She said they are hearing a lot of negative feedback from customers about the change and that this has been noted. She believes some official statement and explanation for the change is forthcoming.
She also told me mine will remain hacking after service since it was purchased as such.
looking forward to seeing how they explain this... they can call it an "update" all they want, but if the hacking and finishing are gone and there's nothing about the movement's performance that's been made better, it will be clear exactly what this is.

this all has nothing to do with the feature itself btw... lots of great watches don't have hacking movements--pateks of various stripes, speedmasters, etc.... but to take a flagship movement like this and reduce its functionality without so much as updating the website or informing customers is just such a low rent move.

panerai was the first brand I fell in love with a long time ago and it's tough to overstate how much $h*t like this makes me lose respect for the brand.
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 09:42 AM   #106
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
This is important to me with my Pam 661. If I thought they would/could remove the seconds hacking after a routine service, I would go ballistic.
I hope Panerai hears more negative feedback on the change to put pressure on them from their customer base.

I did a lot of reviews on my Carbotech Pam 661. I wonder if I have to go back and add “gen 1 P.9010”? What a pia.
Old 19 January 2021, 09:48 AM   #107
drjmlee82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_TA View Post
How do you like the watch? I’m thinking about it.

I like the watch quite a bit.
The blue is actually a bit subdued but can be quite striking in the sun.
The bracelet is very nice. It is thin and tapers well, not chunky at all and wears quite comfortably.
No regrets.

drjmlee82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 09:53 AM   #108
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
looking forward to seeing how they explain this... they can call it an "update" all they want, but if the hacking and finishing are gone and there's nothing about the movement's performance that's been made better, it will be clear exactly what this is.

this all has nothing to do with the feature itself btw... lots of great watches don't have hacking movements--pateks of various stripes, speedmasters, etc.... but to take a flagship movement like this and reduce its functionality without so much as updating the website or informing customers is just such a low rent move.

panerai was the first brand I fell in love with a long time ago and it's tough to overstate how much $h*t like this makes me lose respect for the brand.
I agree 100%.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 10:30 AM   #109
paneristinewb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

After reading this, I actually just called the Dallas service center myself to follow up on my watch that’s in for service. Firstly, the concierge are extremely polite and knowledgeable. They have been walking me thru this process every step of the way. In fact, he let me know that they are quite frustrated as well that Panerai would make such a change, and while they have been briefed on the actual changes themselves, they have not been given an answer as to why. Admittedly, they also guessed that it was likely due to cost saving measures.

They are keeping a list of clients who have been calling in the express their concern and he said that they have been inundated this month with exactly this question. Apparently it is now officially on Panerai’s radar that we are not happy. This is the strength of the Paneristi. So I would encourage folks to call to lodge their concern over the change in the movement with no information being provided to those of us who purchased these time pieces. The concierge folks are awesome and more than happy to take this feedback up the chain, but if you call please be polite as they themselves have no ability to enforce any changes!!

paneristinewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 10:47 AM   #110
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

^^^ great post and agree.

Will it make me not get the 1118? Oh, I'm getting it. Do I want to know more about the movement change I was not made aware of until TRF brought it to light? Well, and maybe I'm weird, yet it usually is customary to know what movement is within a $16,000 timepiece if I desire it. Am sure Panerai will do a detailed video of the new movement being disassembled to showcase the benefits.

Color me hopeful... hoping....

PS: Am not happy or unhappy, ok perhaps very perplexed, so am more inquisitive as now there's a lack of data that needs to be resolved to then reach a conclusion.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 10:54 AM   #111
BMess
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paneristinewb View Post
After reading this, I actually just called the Dallas service center myself to follow up on my watch that’s in for service. Firstly, the concierge are extremely polite and knowledgeable. They have been walking me thru this process every step of the way. In fact, he let me know that they are quite frustrated as well that Panerai would make such a change, and while they have been briefed on the actual changes themselves, they have not been given an answer as to why. Admittedly, they also guessed that it was likely due to cost saving measures.

They are keeping a list of clients who have been calling in the express their concern and he said that they have been inundated this month with exactly this question. Apparently it is now officially on Panerai’s radar that we are not happy. This is the strength of the Paneristi. So I would encourage folks to call to lodge their concern over the change in the movement with no information being provided to those of us who purchased these time pieces. The concierge folks are awesome and more than happy to take this feedback up the chain, but if you call please be polite as they themselves have no ability to enforce any changes!!

I'm going to call tomorrow also. Hopefully there is strength in numbers. Having just bought an $11,000 watch with a different movement than what is advertised on the website makes me feel like I got scammed even though not having a hacking second hand wouldn't have been a deal-breaker for me by any means. It just feels dishonest.
BMess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 11:12 AM   #112
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

I should add that yes, Panerai concierge/customer service has been very pleasant to work with. I received a letter from them exactly 24 hours after they received my watch expressing apologies and detailing the work they would perform at no cost to make the watch right again. They are extremely patient and friendly.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 11:12 AM   #113
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

This better not play out like finding your "rich Corinthian leather" is neither Corithian or leather but is vinyl imported from Jersey.
Old 19 January 2021, 11:56 AM   #114
mbalmz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
I agree 100%.

great minds think alike
___

Old 19 January 2021, 12:10 PM   #115
paneristinewb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Ha, this thread isnt going anywhere. You wont believe the nuclear crap storm that is going to happen over this. It will be epic. It will consume any and everything Panerai on social media. Buckle in.

Boy, we’re you ever right!! LOL

They may take our lives, but they will never take our Panerai!!!!!!

paneristinewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 05:51 PM   #116
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
Glad the 979 I just got hacks. :)

It should be noted that many Panerai do not hack, mostly the manual p3000 movements. And as was said, back hacking isn’t all that hard to do. And as was also said, many fine watches don’t hack. The Vacheron overseas doesn’t, even though the movement was recently designed for the current generation.
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 06:25 PM   #117
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalobyte View Post
Glad the 979 I just got hacks. :)

It should be noted that many Panerai do not hack, mostly the manual p3000 movements. And as was said, back hacking isn’t all that hard to do. And as was also said, many fine watches don’t hack. The Vacheron overseas doesn’t, even though the movement was recently designed for the current generation.
I don't think the issue is that the new version does not hack (at least for me). It's the fact that it did hack and Panerai have removed this feature, as well as cheapening the finishing without disclosing it. Even worse they left the movement description on their site claiming it has the hacking feature.

This is a clear cost cutting measure and downright insulting considering the price of some of the watches this movement is housed in.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 10:46 PM   #118
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
I don't think the issue is that the new version does not hack (at least for me). It's the fact that it did hack and Panerai have removed this feature, as well as cheapening the finishing without disclosing it. Even worse they left the movement description on their site claiming it has the hacking feature.

This is a clear cost cutting measure and downright insulting considering the price of some of the watches this movement is housed in.
Did they change the finishing on the movement?
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 03:14 AM   #119
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Baffling change and quite a turn-off in how it was handled. Hard to believe that they see think nickel-and-diming customers on a pure luxury purchase as a good long-term strategy.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 04:06 AM   #120
mbalmz

Quote:

this ^

anyone just focusing on whether hacking is an important feature or not is missing the point.

the point is whether panerai is being honest to their consumers or not; and whether their movement "updates" are to make movements (at least arguably) better in some way or just cheaper to produce and less functional.
___