The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 20 January 2021, 05:21 AM   #121
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
So the older hacking 9010 will get more collectible :)
Old 20 January 2021, 06:41 AM   #122
martintyler
"TRF" Member

fyi, I just received my PAM1122, and it has hacking seconds. This is either luck, or they have made sure the more expensive/limited models still have it (until they run out?)
martintyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 09:12 AM   #123
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

It’s all about creating a buzz! There haven’t been this many posts on a Panerai movement since the Brooklyn Bridge.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 09:20 AM   #124
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

^^^^ It'd be interesting if it is a 'high-end' movement with some tweak parts to ensure higher accuracy / reliability and less lube needed for longer time before service is needed. I mean, a 70-year warranty means it may be wise to create a movement that needs less lube.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 09:54 AM   #125
roger.bolton
"TRF" Member

Hope everyone has seen this youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozNWUyUxsGY

Its probably the best video (watch) I have ever seen!
roger.bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 11:04 AM   #126
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
^^^^ It'd be interesting if it is a 'high-end' movement with some tweak parts to ensure higher accuracy / reliability and less lube needed for longer time before service is needed. I mean, a 70-year warranty means it may be wise to create a movement that needs less lube.
Well, a 70-year warranty looks more and more feasible when you reach a point where the movement can be thrown away and a new one added.
Old 20 January 2021, 11:57 AM   #127
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonaG View Post
Well, a 70-year warranty looks more and more feasible when you reach a point where the movement can be thrown away and a new one added.
Yup. Rolex is moving into that with the 32 series movement with engineering a mainspring that can’t be serviced so now it’s a disposable barrel and mainspring.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 03:07 PM   #128
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonaG View Post
Have a first-year Bell & Ross BR 03-92 that uses an ETA movement. I heard now they load in a Sellita SW300 and for servicing they just swap out the movement.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 20 January 2021, 06:50 PM   #129
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

It's official
And website is already updated, hacking removed from technical details
Attached Images
File Type: png Panerai answer.PNG (82.5 KB, 317 views)
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 11:06 PM   #130
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Hmmm....

Old 20 January 2021, 11:18 PM   #131
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

This is the updated info from Panerai for the Gen2 P.9010. The video still shows the hacking lever working. Obviously Panerai got pressure from our phone calls and had to change the site in only a day. That shows they were caught and had do the change.
Panerai is not going to rename the movement and won’t disclose the reason for the change so they obvious did something they don’t want to talk about. This is only going to get more heated from their customer base.

Gen 1 P.9010

Old 20 January 2021, 11:46 PM   #132
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

So same jewels, ok. Same qty of parts, now that is interesting. Wonder what parts were added after they removed hacking seconds? Really need to see a video of the swapped movement being disassembled as that would be excellent.

One of the reasons i got the Bvlgari Octo Finissimo S is due to word-of-mouth recommendation PLUS seeing the below web page on the movement. It proved how truly amazing Bvlgari did with their world-record ultra-thin movement, and for only $12,000 with a very impressive bracelet too!

https://www.thenakedwatchmaker.com/d...ulgari-ceramic

Panerai should at least do what the above link does, yet a video would be great. Let's hope Panerai posts something today or tomorrow. If not, am sure someone, somewhere, will be taking their timepiece to a trusted watchmaker to show everyone the details. Imagine the hits count of that video! Especially if you have luxury timepiece journalist friends who will help 'break the news' and send like-minded luxury timepiece readers to your video. Opportunity!

Am sure Panerai would rather do it than finding out someone else did it. At this point, they need to tightly control information release to keep a high-quality narrative alive. Am still hoping for the best. A new movement with higher durability and longevity, plus needing less lubricant / etc, would be an excellent move forward by Panerai. Maybe they were just 'soft launching' a new movement to 'field test' it?

Old 20 January 2021, 11:49 PM   #133
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
This is the updated info from Panerai for the Gen2 P.9010. The video still shows the hacking lever working. Obviously Panerai got pressure from our phone calls and had to change the site in only a day. That shows they were caught and had do the change.
Panerai is not going to rename the movement and won’t disclose the reason for the change so they obvious did something they don’t want to talk about. This is only going to get more heated from their customer base.

Gen 1 P.9010

So remove jumping hours for a 2022 project?
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 12:28 AM   #134
roger.bolton
"TRF" Member

This thread will not die until we found out why!
roger.bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 02:03 AM   #135
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
So same jewels, ok. Same qty of parts, now that is interesting. Wonder what parts were added after they removed hacking seconds? Really need to see a video of the swapped movement being disassembled as that would be excellent.

One of the reasons i got the Bvlgari Octo Finissimo S is due to word-of-mouth recommendation PLUS seeing the below web page on the movement. It proved how truly amazing Bvlgari did with their world-record ultra-thin movement, and for only $12,000 with a very impressive bracelet too!

https://www.thenakedwatchmaker.com/d...ulgari-ceramic

Panerai should at least do what the above link does, yet a video would be great. Let's hope Panerai posts something today or tomorrow. If not, am sure someone, somewhere, will be taking their timepiece to a trusted watchmaker to show everyone the details. Imagine the hits count of that video! Especially if you have luxury timepiece journalist friends who will help 'break the news' and send like-minded luxury timepiece readers to your video. Opportunity!

Am sure Panerai would rather do it than finding out someone else did it. At this point, they need to tightly control information release to keep a high-quality narrative alive. Am still hoping for the best. A new movement with higher durability and longevity, plus needing less lubricant / etc, would be an excellent move forward by Panerai. Maybe they were just 'soft launching' a new movement to 'field test' it?
Ha, You caught that too? I don’t know if Panerai thinks they have a bunch of dumb jewelry buyers on their hands but the WIS/Paneristi’s ain’t gonna over look those pesky details. Movements and design is actually important to us.

Thinking out loud, my mind keeps thinking this new Gen 2 P.9010 is NOT the same in-house movement as the Gen 1 but a Richmond clone. At this point in time with the data we have, that is the most plausible reasoning to all this. As mentioned a few pages back, you don’t just remove a feature from a already well-established, reliable movement years after being introduced to save money as it would cost more to implement the change in manufacturing. Only a new movement designed to not hack would be more economical.

I am seriously thinking on buying a preowned Carbotech Submersible to go with my Pam 661 while I can still get the gen 1 movement.
Old 21 January 2021, 03:24 AM   #136
mbalmz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Ha, You caught that too? I don’t know if Panerai thinks they have a bunch of dumb jewelry buyers on their hands but the WIS/Paneristi’s ain’t gonna over look those pesky details. Movements and design is actually important to us.

Thinking out loud, my mind keeps thinking this new Gen 2 P.9010 is NOT the same in-house movement as the Gen 1 but a Richmond clone. At this point in time with the data we have, that is the most plausible reasoning to all this. As mentioned a few pages back, you don’t just remove a feature from a already well-established, reliable movement years after being introduced to save money as it would cost more to implement the change in manufacturing. Only a new movement designed to not hack would be more economical.

I am seriously thinking on buying a preowned Carbotech Submersible to go with my Pam 661 while I can still get the gen 1 movement.

agree with all of this.

happy to have an old pam682 with the 9010 visible through the caseback.
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 05:29 AM   #137
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

I'm usually a glass half full guy, until I get burned and then.....

So just removing the hack feature is not that big a deal in determining the actual overall quality of a movement. With each passing hour, the seconds ticking away, tic-toc tic-toc, Panerai is losing the opportunity to educate us about this new movement. Speculation is running wild.

We should do a 'bounty' to hire a watchmaker to video the disassembly of the new movement. Considering I'm risking $16k on a 1118 with a 'Mystery Movement' as expecting a call at some point soon to pick it up, I'll donate $20 for this project.

Old 21 January 2021, 08:33 AM   #138
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Hope to have an answer soon as to why.

I will say I don’t believe they’ve switched to a shared, group movement. Panerai didn’t build a manufacture, and fund a huge expansion, to do that. Not for the primary automatic movement at least.

all_in_the_pamily on IG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 01:17 PM   #139
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_TA View Post
It's official
And website is already updated, hacking removed from technical details
Welcome to the party

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 01:21 PM   #140
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
I'm usually a glass half full guy, until I get burned and then.....

So just removing the hack feature is not that big a deal in determining the actual overall quality of a movement. With each passing hour, the seconds ticking away, tic-toc tic-toc, Panerai is losing the opportunity to educate us about this new movement. Speculation is running wild.

We should do a 'bounty' to hire a watchmaker to video the disassembly of the new movement. Considering I'm risking $16k on a 1118 with a 'Mystery Movement' as expecting a call at some point soon to pick it up, I'll donate $20 for this project.
Brotha, I enjoy your posts and your takes... But please stop saying you don't mind the movement not having hacking seconds. That's not why people here are upset.

And if you're going to go pick up your 16k watch, why don't you try hacking the seconds before you throw down your card? Problem solved.
Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 03:09 PM   #141
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Great point, and many thanks.

None of us know with 100% certainty if the Gen 2 9010 is a step forward or back with the new movement. This is why Panerai needs to disclose things asap as speculation is building. I'm getting pretty darn frustrated too. Between my boutique saying July (2020) release, then saying December, now saying this month...........

(My feeble attempt at good humor) Who knows, maybe by delivery time Panerai will already be on their Gen 3 9010 movement

Agree when picking up the 1118 I can check a few things. If this gets too drawn out by Panerai I can easily ask the boutique to remove the case back so I can photo the movement and post pics here. Better still, and Mayors did this at an event with their watchmaker, the Panerai boutique watchmaker can dissassemble the movement and I can video it and post it on Youtube.

Old 22 January 2021, 01:24 AM   #142
mbalmz

Quote:
Great point, and many thanks.

None of us know with 100% certainty if the Gen 2 9010 is a step forward or back with the new movement. This is why Panerai needs to disclose things asap as speculation is building. I'm getting pretty darn frustrated too. Between my boutique saying July (2020) release, then saying December, now saying this month...........

(My feeble attempt at good humor) Who knows, maybe by delivery time Panerai will already be on their Gen 3 9010 movement

Agree when picking up the 1118 I can check a few things. If this gets too drawn out by Panerai I can easily ask the boutique to remove the case back so I can photo the movement and post pics here. Better still, and Mayors did this at an event with their watchmaker, the Panerai boutique watchmaker can dissassemble the movement and I can video it and post it on Youtube.
this would be great...

call me a pessimist but with the sketchy roll-out of this news by the brand I'm very much doubting the movement is stepping forward...

presumably if there were meaningful upgrades being made they'd call it the "9020" or something, and tell everyone about it, have some promos ready, etc....
___

Old 22 January 2021, 01:49 AM   #143
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
this would be great...

call me a pessimist but with the sketchy roll-out of this news by the brand I'm very much doubting the movement is stepping forward...

presumably if there were meaningful upgrades being made they'd call it the "9020" or something, and tell everyone about it, have some promos ready, etc....

You are correct. The way Panerai names and designates their movements is by adding a digit to the 3rd number. We started with the P.9000 then a unpgrade from that movement to the P.9010. If the movement was modified or changed in anyway, Panerai should have shown this by its new P.9020 name.

This is the fly in the ointment and where this Switcheroo stinks on Panerai’s behalf. At the very least, the optics are horrible for Panerai.
Old 22 January 2021, 06:35 AM   #144
56Diver
"TRF" Member

https://www.panerai.com/en/fragments...deo/p9010.html

do they need to update this video?
56Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 07:14 AM   #145
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56Diver View Post

Yup. 42 seconds in, crown is pulled, lever engages seconds to stop. That is what the original gen 1 P.9010 does to "hack" the seconds to synch for precise timing. That is not what the gen 2 P.9010 does anymore.
Old 22 January 2021, 07:25 AM   #146
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
this would be great...

Very much am in agreement, yet my heart hopes for good news. Fully admit have been soooo wanting to hold the 1118, wear it, use it daily as am 'sold' on the style 'hook, line, and sinker'. Just hoping the movement inside continues this joy. So I have a personal problem of the heart hoping... yet my mind keeps whispering....

Look, when the 1118 arrives here we'll know either from Panerai or from me.

Side Note Of My Craziness: And yeah, I'd love to have the PAM wall clock like we see at boutiques.

Old 22 January 2021, 02:01 PM   #147
mbalmz

Quote:
Very much am in agreement, yet my heart hopes for good news. Fully admit have been soooo wanting to hold the 1118, wear it, use it daily as am 'sold' on the style 'hook, line, and sinker'. Just hoping the movement inside continues this joy. So I have a personal problem of the heart hoping... yet my mind keeps whispering....

Look, when the 1118 arrives here we'll know either from Panerai or from me.

Side Note Of My Craziness: And yeah, I'd love to have the PAM wall clock like we see at boutiques.

those wall clocks are snazzy things, you’ll get no argument there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
___

Old 23 January 2021, 05:04 AM   #148
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
I would guess that they are trying to differentiate the more expensive watches having hacking opposed to the less expensive with the same movement.

It wuold be interesting to test a new higher end Panerai with the 9010 and see if it hacks.
I have a 2020 692 and it hacks, but it is unclear when this change was made.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 05:35 AM   #149
kashb
"TRF" Member

Not sure about this. I have a 1118 and 1117, neither hack. So I don’t think there is a price to movement version differentiation.

I wonder if this change makes it cheaper to service, the 70yr Warrenty apparently includes services so maybe simplifying the movement is the driver?
kashb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 05:40 AM   #150
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
I would guess that they are trying to differentiate the more expensive watches having hacking opposed to the less expensive with the same movement.

It wuold be interesting to test a new higher end Panerai with the 9010 and see if it hacks.
I have a 2020 692 and it hacks, but it is unclear when this change was made.
No. The OP has a 1313 that does not hack. That is what started this thread. I have a 1313, purchased 11/20 that does hack. Same exact model.

...and the model 1313 has not been out all that long.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote