The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 January 2020, 12:15 PM   #31
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

Ridiculous policy. Sometimes you want to take pictures to ask others for opinions.
blown5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 12:22 PM   #32
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
I was at the Fourtaines in Carmel one time and some guy popped in off the street and started to take a picture (Like the whole store) and the security guard said, "No pictures". But on that same day I asked if I could take a few pictures of watches and the SA said "Please do". So I am guessing it could be a security issue.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 12:31 PM   #33
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick800 View Post
That’s different than taking pics of empty cases. Or don’t you get that?
I do get that, but disagree that documenting a completely empty case at an AD is moronic. It’s pretty unprecedented in Rolex history and imo worthy of a photo.
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 01:25 PM   #34
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
@OP: Was told off by a security guard before, until the SA intervened and said I was a good customer. He then backed off.

It has something to do with the issue of knowing what's on display. You could always write it down if you're a thief, but each store has its own policy about it.

//Off-topic: Rolex decides everything down to the design of your store and the placement of their logo/display. The cost is reflected entirely upon the AD. Rolex decides this cost and it doesn't come cheap. Rolex can also decide that you need to update the display in 2-3 years; either to control your profit OR to chase you out of their line of business.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 01:33 PM   #35
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I have taken exactly one picture in my AD, my just sized Daytona on my wrist, nothing else visible to show where it was taken. But I would agree that it may be a security issue to the store.
PS: the security at my AD is either a Houston Police officer or Harris County constable.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 01:55 PM   #36
Danny83
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Tell em you were taking pics of “The Airking”
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 02:04 PM   #37
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
This whole conversation is exhausting.
Sunny Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 03:07 PM   #38
jitdc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
I was at my AD on Friday looking at replacement wedding rings and they allowed pictures of each ring I tried I on... same with each watch. The whole their store their prerogative is complete BS as far as internet responses go. That is not a response nor an adequate addition to the discussion. It is frustrating that someone offers up for money some assortment of goods and then has the audacity to say no pics. Sure, private property and all the normal blah blah blah comes into play. But as the base, absolute distilled level we are all saying "empty watch cases are not fun or exciting or good for the market/individual sales/consumers interest" Something is wrong with the production/distribution or allocation smells funny should be allowed on a conversational level. We are all nameless/faceless bots spewing our opinions on an internet forum. Whether you agree or disagree it doesn't change a thing... unless we can all find some common path forward.
jitdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 03:40 PM   #39
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
When Lee Michaels opened here in Albuquerque, I wanted to take a picture of their mostly empty showcase, but they wouldn't allow it, although they were very gracious about it.

My old AD, Beuachamp Jewelers, had no problem with my taking photos and I took very many, especially at their end of summer gala events and I'd post them here.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 03:41 PM   #40
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Wait what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 04:22 PM   #41
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Never had an issue. They were embarrassed. And they should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How so? They had (30) customers in the store.

I would think they would be more busy taking orders and processing transactions than being "embarrassed"...

What would be embarrassing would be an Omega boutique full to the brim with watches in stock and ready to buy, but nary a customer in the store....while the Rolex boutique next door is brimming with customers lined up to get a chance to obtain a Rolex...any Rolex they can get...with a very limited selection in the case. See that every time I am in the Miami Design District...

Like it or not, Rolex is doing just fine...the market is responding to their brand in record fashion...the less available, the more wanted.

Other brands have plenty of watches for sale guys....and hardly anybody wants them...why is that?
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 04:31 PM   #42
mattmonay
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
That's ridiculous; did they think you were casing the place? Your story reminds me of the Sistine Chapel- every 3 seconds, "No Photo!"
mattmonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 04:42 PM   #43
Nadi090
Banned

Watch: OysterPerpetual 39
It's funny though, they don't have anything to sell yet rude.
You should as well take the picture already..
Nadi090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 04:43 PM   #44
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
I never take pictures indside an AD .

Maybe you were the 20th person wanting a picture of an empty display ,just like the 20th person asking " I want Pepsi ,you have ?" followed by "Any Sportsmodels ,I want ,you have ? "
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 05:37 PM   #45
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I’ll happily snap a photo of an outside window display.

If I plan to take any photos inside an AD, I always ask if a photo would be ok? Even a piece I’m trying on.
Just courtesy IMO
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 08:39 PM   #46
bezler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToWatch View Post
Agreed, but what if I was taking a picture of a watch I was considering buying? Would you buy from a guy barking orders at you? If you really don't want me taking pictures, introduce yourself and ask if you can help and then mention that as an aside. Otherwise, they risk scaring off a customer willing to spend $$$$.
Whenever I want to take a picture of the inside of a store or its inventory, I politely ask first. It's bit rude to just take the picture without asking.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Old 19 January 2020, 08:50 PM   #47
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Their store, their prerogative.
x2!
Old 19 January 2020, 10:38 PM   #48
travisb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes..
Never happened to me at an AD.
I took a picture of an impressive window display in NYC's diamond district and the owner nearly lost his mind.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 10:43 PM   #49
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I agree. When in a private business one should abide by their policies.
Exactly, besides this is hardly picture worthy. Everyone knows there is no stock to display.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 10:53 PM   #50
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Was at the mall today and popped into the local AD. They had an entire case completely empty of watches. Laughing at the irony of a store with around 30 customers in it and a completely empty case, I went to take a photo.

A sales rep who'd been watching me like a hawk quickly pounced and barked "no photos". I retorted, "not much to photograph here", making reference to the empty case and he just sort of nodded.

Has anyone else experienced this?? Having bought a few watches from this AD and having had no problem taking photos before, I was taken aback. Guy didn't offer to assist us at all, just barking commands. I left immediately after - poor customer service IMO regardless of their "policy".
Its there store they pay the rent and dictate what customers can and cannot do while in there place of business.Cannot see why you proclaim this a poor customer service,many retail places in this world today you are not allowed to take pictures.You state they had around 30 customers in the store is this a fact of a bit of exaggeration on your part, cannot understand why they would have 30 customers at any one time in most ADs today.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 10:54 PM   #51
Odie-r
"TRF" Member

I usually ask before I take a pic. Just courtesy.
Old 19 January 2020, 11:12 PM   #52
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Guess I am in a minority on this issue. Here's my opinion.

1. The owner of an establishment sets the rules.

2. There is no "right" to take pictures of empty cases. And visitors are not "entitled" to do so.

3. Taking pictures of empty cases has nothing to do with the purpose a patron has been admitted to the premises for, which is looking at stock one is thinking about purchasing.

Old 19 January 2020, 11:15 PM   #53
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Guess I am in a minority on this issue. Here's my opinion.

1. The owner of an establishment sets the rules.

2. There is no "right" to take pictures of empty cases. And visitors are not "entitled" to do so.

3. Taking pictures of empty cases has nothing to do with the purpose a patron has been admitted to the premises for, which is looking at stock one is thinking about purchasing.

Completely agree
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 11:37 PM   #54
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
That's been my experience as well.

Very good point

I guess customer service isn't needed if you don't have any watches to sell
Good point. I guess these days they are just basically order takers. I have a good relationship with a few jewelry stores and yesterday I posted some Rolexes that were at a non Rolex store and the SA invited me to take photos.
Old 19 January 2020, 11:37 PM   #55
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN with BCL
i've never seen that before. In fact, I just about ALWAYS take pictures of watches (if I'm buying or considering). The sales people at Govberg in Philly never gave me a problem. Then again, they actually have inventory...
JDsnewwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 11:37 PM   #56
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I would ask the SA first and abide by their guidance. It's the courteous thing to do.

If I was in my AD and somebody was loosing off a camera I would confront them, insist on looking at the pictures they had taken in my proximity and satisfy myself that any files containing my picture (or my wife's) were deleted. It's bloody rude behaviour. I expect that most of the time I am unaware if people are photographing me without my consent.

Just around the corner from my AD, I was trundling down the road slowly one day last year, when a woman who had just bought an ice cream cone tripped backwards off the kerb, fell over and went under my front bumper while attempting to photograph it with her iPhone.

Luckily my car has good ground clearance. I was able to emergency stop in time to prevent running over her and damaging my car. If I'd been looking down, or sneezing, or day dreaming, the IQ of that town would have gone up a little bit on that day. But the paperwork would have been endless. The photographer? If they broke something maybe they learned something.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 11:38 PM   #57
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Rolex watches at a non Rolex dealer. The SA encouraged me to photograph these...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 19 January 2020, 11:38 PM   #58
TimeToWatch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Its there store they pay the rent and dictate what customers can and cannot do while in there place of business.Cannot see why you proclaim this a poor customer service,many retail places in this world today you are not allowed to take pictures.You state they had around 30 customers in the store is this a fact of a bit of exaggeration on your part, cannot understand why they would have 30 customers at any one time in most ADs today.
I totally get this, however put up a sign if that’s truly your policy so there’s no ambiguity! Also, the way in which they enforce this policy is also up to them. On one hand, they could go with this SA’s strategy and bark commands at potential customers like some rent a cop. The customer will most likely always react poorly and if they were interested in shelling out money on something in the store, that opportunity is blown by the SA. On the other hand, they could politely introduce themselves, ask how they can help, and politely mention no photos. These are two entirely different approaches with two entirely different outcomes. I wouldn’t ever buy a watch from that asshat personally.

And yes, there were literally 30 people in that store. I go there a lot and I’ve never seen more people there at once.
Old 19 January 2020, 11:40 PM   #59
TimeToWatch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I would ask the SA first and abide by their guidance. It's the courteous thing to do.

If I was in my AD and somebody was loosing off a camera I would confront them, insist on looking at the pictures they had taken in my proximity and satisfy myself that any files containing my picture (or my wife's) were deleted. It's bloody rude behaviour. I expect that most of the time I am unaware if people are photographing me without my consent.

Just around the corner from my AD, I was trundling down the road slowly one day last year, when a woman who had just bought an ice cream cone tripped backwards off the kerb, fell over and went under my front bumper while attempting to photograph it with her iPhone.

Luckily my car has good ground clearance. I was able to emergency stop in time to prevent running over her and damaging my car. If I'd been looking down, or sneezing, or day dreaming, the IQ of that town would have gone up a little bit on that day. But the paperwork would have been endless. The photographer? Who cares? If they broke something maybe they learned something.
You do realize in America that in a public space (not an AD), it is one’s constitutional right to photograph you and there’s absolutely nothing you can do about it right? So long as the image is not being used for commercial purposes, there is nothing you can do. You sound like a wanker.
Old 20 January 2020, 12:20 AM   #60
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Not uncommon in Asia if off the beaten tourist paths. Also, they frown on taking pictures of dresses here to even ask the +1, so....take that for what you will. Totally makes sense given the high quality reproductions. But best policy for courtesy is to always ask before snapping the pic IMO.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote