The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 October 2021, 04:53 AM   #1
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

5172g chrono

I tried this watch on today. It was preowned but never worn. It was an AD that doesn’t carry Patek but has a very high end preowned section.

Anyway, I thought it was really amazing. I loved how how versatile abs understated the watch was. I could see the watch being great in almost any setting. I loved the color, size, everything. It was priced slightly below MSRP.

Here are my questions. The watch is very expensive: mid 70s retail. Low 70s preowned.

1. What features of this watch make it command such a high price?
2. Is it difficult to get at retail? I do have a very good relationship w the local Patek AD. I’ve been offered 5712s and such.

Thank you for the help?
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 05:26 AM   #2
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

If price difference is only a few thousand $$ on a $70k+ watch, I would get it from a Patek AD if you already have a relationship with one.

The previous 5170 retailed higher than the 5172. But Patek lowered the MSRP on the 5172 because they realized they priced the 5170 too high.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 11:13 AM   #3
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
If price difference is only a few thousand $$ on a $70k+ watch, I would get it from a Patek AD if you already have a relationship with one.

The previous 5170 retailed higher than the 5172. But Patek lowered the MSRP on the 5172 because they realized they priced the 5170 too high.
Thank you. I’m still hoping someone can help me understand why this watch is 70k+
I know it’s white gold but not much.
I know it’s a manual wind chrono
I’m not trying to talk bad about the watch. I was really drawn to it. I am just trying to understand the really high cost.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 10:18 PM   #4
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
Thank you. I’m still hoping someone can help me understand why this watch is 70k+
I’m not trying to talk bad about the watch. I was really drawn to it. I am just trying to understand the really high cost.
In a way, you may have answered your own question. The pre owned and new price difference is small as you can see so it’s “valued” properly. After all, this is a Veblen good, price is exactly what someone is willing to pay.

A comparable model would be a 1815 chronograph at $60000. So after you add in the PP premium, the $78000 price tag seems to be inline.

Maybe you should get the 5712 from the AD and flip it then get the 5172 with extra cash in the pocket. If you think 5172 price is high, the 5712 must feel insane.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 01:01 AM   #5
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
In a way, you may have answered your own question. The pre owned and new price difference is small as you can see so it’s “valued” properly. After all, this is a Veblen good, price is exactly what someone is willing to pay.

A comparable model would be a 1815 chronograph at $60000. So after you add in the PP premium, the $78000 price tag seems to be inline.

Maybe you should get the 5712 from the AD and flip it then get the 5172 with extra cash in the pocket. If you think 5172 price is high, the 5712 must feel insane.
Even if you don't feel you answered your own question llngoc has, with an additional helpful hint about how to defray the cost of a 5172.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 03:20 AM   #6
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
https://watchesbysjx.com/2012/05/und...e-century.html

The above article highlights the history of Patek chrono watches. A pocket chrono has been produced for over 150 year history and their manual wind chrono is at almost a 100 year history. If you look at auction prices, some of these older Patek chronos go for very high dollar amounts.

The real question becomes, why buy a Patek watch in the first place? You can easily buy a Daytona for a fraction of a Patek chrono and many people will go that route. You will see plenty of people value Rolex as a brand much higher than Patek at a more "affordable" price. That is true. Patek watches and collectors are a different breed once you start looking deeper into it though.

I would definitely consider your options and see what alternatives are out there before diving into your first Patek or a Patek chrono. Don't get caught up in the hype is what I mean. The 5172 will be around if you decide not to buy it right now.
Old 8 October 2021, 04:19 AM   #7
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
https://watchesbysjx.com/2012/05/und...e-century.html

The above article highlights the history of Patek chrono watches. A pocket chrono has been produced for over 150 year history and their manual wind chrono is at almost a 100 year history. If you look at auction prices, some of these older Patek chronos go for very high dollar amounts.

The real question becomes, why buy a Patek watch in the first place? You can easily buy a Daytona for a fraction of a Patek chrono and many people will go that route. You will see plenty of people value Rolex as a brand much higher than Patek at a more "affordable" price. That is true. Patek watches and collectors are a different breed once you start looking deeper into it though.

I would definitely consider your options and see what alternatives are out there before diving into your first Patek or a Patek chrono. Don't get caught up in the hype is what I mean. The 5172 will be around if you decide not to buy it right now.
It does not seem like this will be OP’s first Patek as he has been offered 5712 multiple times already.
Old 8 October 2021, 04:31 AM   #8
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It does not seem like this will be OP’s first Patek as he has been offered 5712 multiple times already.
I suppose some/many people purchase Patek watches without an understanding of the history of the brand and longevity of the Patek manual wind chrono. Maybe someone who is caught up in the "hype"?

But then you have plenty of people here asking why would anyone buy a manual wind Patek... Patek only started making automatic chronos his millennium IIRC.
Old 8 October 2021, 04:45 AM   #9
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I suppose some/many people purchase Patek watches without an understanding of the history of the brand and longevity of the Patek manual wind chrono. Maybe someone who is caught up in the "hype"?

But then you have plenty of people here asking why would anyone buy a manual wind Patek... Patek only started making automatic chronos his millennium IIRC.
I would never pay $$$ for an automatic chronograph. It would be blasphemy.
Old 8 October 2021, 04:49 AM   #10
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
The price of a good often is not correlated with cost of production.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 07:01 AM   #11
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I would never pay $$$ for an automatic chronograph. It would be blasphemy.

Hey! I love my 5960 and 5968! And also my 5172.
vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 07:45 AM   #12
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyologist View Post
Hey! I love my 5960 and 5968! And also my 5172.

5960 is AC and Aquanaut is Aquanaut. You don’t buy an Aquanuat to “admire” the movement. But definitely for 5172.

BTW, I am desperately trying to get on the 5968a list too. Was told 2023 delivery back in June and now is being discouraged as the SS ones are becoming really rare at the AD level. My AD said he is getting less than one per year. The 5968G may be much better but I want the orange hands.
Old 8 October 2021, 07:49 AM   #13
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
5960 is AC and Aquanaut is Aquanaut. You don’t buy an Aquanuat to “admire” the movement. But definitely for 5172.

BTW, I am desperately trying to get on the 5968a list too. Was told 2023 delivery back in June and now is being discouraged as the SS ones are becoming really rare at the AD level. My AD said he is getting less than one per year. The 5968G may be much better but I want the orange hands.

I was similarly told that the g would be easier than steel. I don’t regret it!

vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 10:33 AM   #14
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyologist View Post
I was similarly told that the g would be easier than steel. I don’t regret it!

Amazing photo of an amazing watch!
HMHM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 05:29 AM   #15
Partekular
"TRF" Member

I bought a 5172G because it pairs with the 5320G and it’s manually wound. It has the classic PP styling so they are both sort of retro yet modern takes on PP. I dislike their steel watches and many over fussy PPs where one cannot easily read the time at a glance.

The seemingly simple movements of both watches are the attraction and of course the PP heritage seduces in part by the marketing. The Veblen thing is I suppose part of it which provides an unshowy and very private pleasure. Madness of course.

If you need a stop watch use an iPhone. If you marvel at the clock work mechanisms then you are sunk - like me. Paying that much for a wristwatch is delightfully insane. Do not buy a watch as an investment!

You can’t take it with you and the taxman will filch 40% so enjoy it while you can if that’s your thing.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 06:00 AM   #16
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
I bought a 5172G because it pairs with the 5320G and it’s manually wound. It has the classic PP styling so they are both sort of retro yet modern takes on PP. I dislike their steel watches and many over fussy PPs where one cannot easily read the time at a glance.

The seemingly simple movements of both watches are the attraction and of course the PP heritage seduces in part by the marketing. The Veblen thing is I suppose part of it which provides an unshowy and very private pleasure. Madness of course.

If you need a stop watch use an iPhone. If you marvel at the clock work mechanisms then you are sunk - like me. Paying that much for a wristwatch is delightfully insane. Do not buy a watch as an investment!

You can’t take it with you and the taxman will filch 40% so enjoy it while you can if that’s your thing.
5172G is my goal for 2022 to match with the 5320G.
Old 10 October 2021, 01:38 AM   #17
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
5172G is my goal for 2022 to match with the 5320G.
Good to discover a fellow horologist with the same taste as me. I wear the pair of them day on day off. I like the manual winding Chrono as I can leave the Perp in the beautifully made leather drum winder when away to avoid resetting the calendar. No regrets at the insane extravagance!

The great thing about these two is that no one gives them a second glance - unlike my old theft magnet Rolex.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 02:13 AM   #18
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
Good to discover a fellow horologist with the same taste as me. I wear the pair of them day on day off. I like the manual winding Chrono as I can leave the Perp in the beautifully made leather drum winder when away to avoid resetting the calendar. No regrets at the insane extravagance!

The great thing about these two is that no one gives them a second glance - unlike my old theft magnet Rolex.

I have been trying to decide between the ALS Datograph and the 5172 as I want a manual chronograph for 2022. But since I got the 5320 and am really liking it, I would like to get its brother before it gets discontinued by Patek. My logic is that the Datograph will always be in ALS lineup and hopefully it may get downsized back to the original size which is the one I really loved since it came out 25 years ago.

And of course, the 5320 is just lovely. And it seems like it got more attention on this forum lately which is well deserved.