The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 8 October 2021, 05:21 AM   #1
ECLS18
"TRF" Member

5196r & 5227j?

Hello,

Could someone who owns both 5196 and 5227 share their thoughts on both the pieces? I presently own a 5196R and love it. Its a special piece.
I recently got a call from my dealer if I want the 5227J. My first thought was I don't want another Calatrava but I'm now thinking of adding the 5227J as it has a more casual look to it and can be a daily wearer. 5227 was originally on my list but I ended up buying the 5196 first. While I am a little torn, the price of the 5227 (due to the hunter case back) is a little deterrent as with another 5-10k more you are looking at complications. Hence, looking for some recommendations to avoid buyer's remorse. Thanks a lot.
ECLS18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 06:49 AM   #2
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

I have the 5196G and the 5227R. I think they are very different watches, with the 5227 being far more substantial, plus the hinged back adding much more interest and distinctiveness (although admittedly in a very stealthy way that only you will know). As a daily, I think the 5227 would be more appropriate and versatile than the 5196.

The 5196 is timeless and classic Patek DNA rooted in the 96 line, updated for more modern times with the 37mm case (that wears larger than it seems). It has its time and place, but probably not as a daily.

I agree that the 5227 price is bordering on (if not well into) the absurd for what it is. But, it's certainly a very nice watch. The size, weight, curves on the case, sloped and scalloped lugs, the hinged back – it exudes understated elegance with a modern touch. It's not a watch that showboats. But, when you look closely, you see there's quite a bit going on, which is what makes it a cool watch. And, it works well casual, dressed up, daily or special occasions.

My advice would be, get what you like now, but also what you think you'll still like long term. These are not fashion or flashy pieces, nor investment grade. They are meant to impress you, not everybody around you.

So, buy what you like and enjoy the hell out of it. Cheers.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 08:28 AM   #3
ECLS18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpaniard View Post
I have the 5196G and the 5227R. I think they are very different watches, with the 5227 being far more substantial, plus the hinged back adding much more interest and distinctiveness (although admittedly in a very stealthy way that only you will know). As a daily, I think the 5227 would be more appropriate and versatile than the 5196.

The 5196 is timeless and classic Patek DNA rooted in the 96 line, updated for more modern times with the 37mm case (that wears larger than it seems). It has its time and place, but probably not as a daily.

I agree that the 5227 price is bordering on (if not well into) the absurd for what it is. But, it's certainly a very nice watch. The size, weight, curves on the case, sloped and scalloped lugs, the hinged back – it exudes understated elegance with a modern touch. It's not a watch that showboats. But, when you look closely, you see there's quite a bit going on, which is what makes it a cool watch. And, it works well casual, dressed up, daily or special occasions.

My advice would be, get what you like now, but also what you think you'll still like long term. These are not fashion or flashy pieces, nor investment grade. They are meant to impress you, not everybody around you.

So, buy what you like and enjoy the hell out of it. Cheers.
Thank you for your response. Much appreciated. I agree with everything you have said. Were there any other pieces you considered before buying the 5227? Again, thank you for your time.
Old 8 October 2021, 09:52 AM   #4
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

I looked at the 5296 but could not get into it. I dislike the sector dial version, and the more traditional version was too flat for my taste, had a pancake vibe about it that didn’t sit well with me, unlike the curves and scallops of the 5227.

I also looked at the Vacheron 38mm traditionel which is a very nice piece and tempting. But generally I prefer Patek when thinking long term.

Have you considered the new 6119? It’s also fairly flat, but very good looking, I think. It may be hard to find these days but I imagine that may subside a little after it’s newness wears off a little.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 11:57 AM   #5
thanyasr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
These are not fashion or flashy pieces, nor investment grade. They are meant to impress you, not everybody around you
Great summary and I could not agree with you more. I have 5196r which I really love wearing. Thinking on adding 5227g
thanyasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 10:34 PM   #6
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

It is definitely possible to have both the 5196 and the 5227 in one's collection. When Patek introduced the 5227 back in 2013, they priced it a lot higher than the 5196. So I can see how the price can be a deterrent for some.

The 5196 is an excellent watch, but is a manual wind. It also has the seconds hand in the 6 o'clock position. Even though the 5196 is listed at 37mm, as you may know the case sits fairly flat on the wrist, so it doesn't seem very small at all.

The 5227 has a more modern case and the hunter case back makes it different from many other watches. Of course it is an automatic so you don't have to wind it regularly.

If you like the 5227, I would say go for it. I own both and like them for different reasons.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 04:56 PM   #7
ECLS18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpaniard View Post
I looked at the 5296 but could not get into it. I dislike the sector dial version, and the more traditional version was too flat for my taste, had a pancake vibe about it that didn’t sit well with me, unlike the curves and scallops of the 5227.

I also looked at the Vacheron 38mm traditionel which is a very nice piece and tempting. But generally I prefer Patek when thinking long term.

Have you considered the new 6119? It’s also fairly flat, but very good looking, I think. It may be hard to find these days but I imagine that may subside a little after it’s newness wears off a little.
Thank you again. I did wait for Patek to refresh the Calatrava before getting the 5196r. Although I haven't handled the 6119 but the larger size and hobnail bezel didn’t impress me. I understand the intent but those upgrades didn't make sense to me. Seemed a little bit of a hoch poch. I went to try the 5227j today and really liked it. It did exactly what I was expecting it to do which was be more substantial with just the right heft to it. Classy but still understated. Most probably I’ll get it.
Old 9 October 2021, 04:58 PM   #8
ECLS18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
It is definitely possible to have both the 5196 and the 5227 in one's collection. When Patek introduced the 5227 back in 2013, they priced it a lot higher than the 5196. So I can see how the price can be a deterrent for some.

The 5196 is an excellent watch, but is a manual wind. It also has the seconds hand in the 6 o'clock position. Even though the 5196 is listed at 37mm, as you may know the case sits fairly flat on the wrist, so it doesn't seem very small at all.

The 5227 has a more modern case and the hunter case back makes it different from many other watches. Of course it is an automatic so you don't have to wind it regularly.

If you like the 5227, I would say go for it. I own both and like them for different reasons.
Thank you. Yes i saw the 5227 today and seriously thinking of adding it to my collection.

Tags
5227j