The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 February 2012, 11:22 AM   #1
LBK-PRINCE
"TRF" Member

Cellini Prince

i would like some information about the yellow gold cellini prince from some research i have done i have seen that they do not hold there value really well at all and are not to popular. I am able to buy a new yellow gold prince for $6,000
would like to know if this would be a good buy and why they do not hold there value.

Thank you.
LBK-PRINCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2012, 11:29 AM   #2
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Welcome to TRF.

Cellini just don't tend to be the most popular of watches within the Rolex brand and this would account as to why it wouldn't fair so well on the secondary market. But if it is future value that is your primary concern then attempt to buy a pre-owned and you may do a bit better.

In the long run as long as you like the watch and plan on keeping it then future value will be much higher as it will always mean more to you.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
It seems that gold watches do not hold their value well in the secondary market and the Cellini line of watches are not the most popular Rolexes!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2012, 11:32 AM   #4
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
If you want to wear it, $6000 is a good price.

If you think might sell it to send your kids to college, forget about it.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2012, 11:58 AM   #5
LBK-PRINCE
"TRF" Member

well i dont plan on ever selling any watch i buy i guess it comes down to is 6k a good deal for a new one also i am new to rolex dont know a ton about the brand i have been wearing breitlings for a few years now but i am now kind of obsessed with the yellow gold DD but looking for a nice first rolex just unsure what to get.
Old 5 February 2012, 12:14 PM   #6
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBK-PRINCE View Post
well i dont plan on ever selling any watch i buy i guess it comes down to is 6k a good deal for a new one also i am new to rolex dont know a ton about the brand i have been wearing breitlings for a few years now but i am now kind of obsessed with the yellow gold DD but looking for a nice first rolex just unsure what to get.
If your unsure then just take your time. There are a number of good choices. I'm sure with a bit of research you'll find one you'll be happy with. Have you checked out the Rolex website, and gone to your nearest AD to take a look and try some on?

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 5 February 2012, 12:38 PM   #7
LBK-PRINCE
"TRF" Member

have not tryed any on in a while.. i keep going back to the yellow gold DD i would not be buying it new just wish i had a little better understanding as far as what i should be paying for a preowned
Old 5 February 2012, 12:45 PM   #8
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBK-PRINCE View Post
have not tryed any on in a while.. i keep going back to the yellow gold DD i would not be buying it new just wish i had a little better understanding as far as what i should be paying for a preowned
A great deal depends on how new it is, and what condition it is in. Mostly this also has to do with the condition of the bracelet as older models tend to have bracelets which have been so badly worn they are no longer any good. It cost a large sum of money to replace a bracelet.

You can pay as little as $5,000 for the head alone of an older model to as much as $20,000 or more for a more recent pre-owned model.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 5 February 2012, 01:33 PM   #9
dddrees
"TRF" Member

By the way you can do some research in the for Sale section here, there are always a couple examples of a DD or two for sale.

Make sure however that wherever you buy it, buy it from someone you can trust.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 6 February 2012, 06:36 AM   #10
liptonnr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-c LV, GMT's
T
Hey don't hold value well because they are not your traditional Rolex design! 6k is a little in price and can be had for much less!
liptonnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2012, 07:09 AM   #11
hsfrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: President
Well if you are talking about a NEW authentic Cellini Prince that retails for over $14,000, I can hardly see where you can go wrong for $6000. But that sounds too good to be true. I happen to love the Cellini line as dress watches. They are stylish and stunning. I know I am in the minority but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So if you love the style go for it.

Time and Tide wait for no man

Rolex Cellini 4133
Tudor North Flag

HERS:
Rolex TTDJ
hsfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2012, 09:36 AM   #12
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
My thoughts, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsfrank View Post
Well if you are talking about a NEW authentic Cellini Prince that retails for over $14,000, I can hardly see where you can go wrong for $6000. But that sounds too good to be true. I happen to love the Cellini line as dress watches. They are stylish and stunning. I know I am in the minority but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So if you love the style go for it.
I don't know much about Cellini's except I saw a Prince in a store and was impressed. $6,000 sounds cheap, to me.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2012, 05:18 PM   #13
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
I'm with hsfrank. I like Cellinis in general and the Prince in particular because it is so quirky and distinctive. You would always feel special wearing such an individual watch.
It's all supply & demand. Clearly most people will prefer something more conservative - it's the same with any consumer product. $6K sounds very good if it is in nice condition. Hope it works out for you.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote