The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 28 November 2021, 01:10 AM   #1
Subspecies
"TRF" Member

Laser welding vintage watches. The future?

8Going to start out and say that I'm not a fan especially on vintage. But it does and will happen, so my point is..

How in 'x' amount of time will a watch that has extra material added and then worn become an 'original' unpolished watch with almost no wear for the seller?
Looks like an unprovable cycle and possibly the end of vintage. Not really but a concern nonetheless
Subspecies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 01:58 AM   #2
1665fan
"TRF" Member

It’s happening everyday………soon the re cut pieces will be worn and some sold as unpolished original
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 01:59 AM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I'm not sure how this represents "the end of vintage". In fact, I suspect that most people are happy that their cases can be restored, since they get more joy from the refinished cases.

Looking forward, I suspect that people who care about the distinction between unpolished and refinished will increasingly learn how to distinguish the exact shape of original cases, just as they now study fine details of dials and bezels. Obviously, some people can already do this.
Old 28 November 2021, 02:14 AM   #4
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I'm not sure how this represents "the end of vintage". In fact, I suspect that most people are happy that their cases can be restored, since they get more joy from the refinished cases.

Looking forward, I suspect that people who care about the distinction between unpolished and refinished will increasingly learn how to distinguish the exact shape of original cases, just as they now study fine details of dials and bezels. Obviously, some people can already do this.
Totally agree. Not sure how a recut/refinished/lasered case is any different than an immaculately refinished dial. When it comes to restoration of any part of a vintage Rolex, there are ways to tell what's been done. As restorers get better and better, so does the scrutiny by experts who can dissect a watch down to the tiniest of details. Check out some of the analyses by Perezcope, for example.

So, the OP comes here says he's not a fan of vintage and that improvements in vintage case restoration will be the end of the hobby? Interesting.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 02:54 AM   #5
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Yea, calling it the end is harsh.... Although I prefer thick cases showing age and some scratches, Some of these refinished/ recut cases look great.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 02:59 AM   #6
1675-David
"TRF" Member

I have absolutely seen an uptick of "unpolished" 4 digit sports models with just the right amount of case wear, small scratches and nicks to place them in that vintage sweet spot of beautifully used. I'm assuming some of these watches, when they come back from Rolliworks or wherever are carefully aged to achieve the look.
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 09:14 AM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Of course it's not the end. Enjoy those vintage watches everyone, whether original or refinished. I heard they aren't making them anymore.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 10:26 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subspecies View Post
. . .
How in 'x' amount of time will a watch that has extra material added and then worn become an 'original' unpolished watch with almost no wear for the seller?
Looks like an unprovable cycle and possibly the end of vintage. Not really but a concern nonetheless
A vintage is always a vintage, so laser welding and other machining processes could bring back trashed examples that nobody would be interested in any more.

The level of restoration varies, but it would be very likely that there would be tells, and not perfect surfaces, after welding and re-grinding.

There will likely be a market for rebuilt vintage watches. It is very unlikely that there will suddenly be a run on trashed watches so that laser welders can melt the midnight oil on them.

Laser welding is not magic and it would still take a good craftsman to be able to weld up and restore a perfect, undetectable, surface.
Old 28 November 2021, 08:42 PM   #9
oligeo
"TRF" Member

Hi all,

A couple of month ago I saw on the French forum a thread where a guy found a way to tel if a watch was laser repaired or not. Article is not online anymore, but I'll dig a bit to see if I can find it.
Basically, method was based on a very light etching (which wouldn't leave any traces) which reveal the metallurgic structure of the steel.

Oli
oligeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 08:49 PM   #10
oligeo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oligeo View Post
Hi all,

A couple of month ago I saw on the French forum a thread where a guy found a way to tel if a watch was laser repaired or not. Article is not online anymore, but I'll dig a bit to see if I can find it.
Basically, method was based on a very light etching (which wouldn't leave any traces) which reveal the metallurgic structure of the steel.

Oli
Found (in French only, sorry)

https://www.lesrhabilleurs.com/2020/...k/#optin-modal

Oli
oligeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 11:14 PM   #11
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
For those of us that like "a nice watch to wear", laser welding is great. My old 5513 hasn't looked better since it rolled off the production line fifty-odd years ago!

The issue with LW is collectors nowadays demanding original everything in NOS condition...but lacking the expertise and experience to source and inspect the pieces (and the money to pay for serious examples, often). Frankly I think those collectors would be better off buying a nice watch to wear most of the time, and leaving the pristine examples to deep-pocketed experten. There are lots of nice old honest watches out there, after all.
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 01:28 PM   #12
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by oligeo View Post

Very interesting! Merci!
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 01:28 PM   #13
Initial_J
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Soup King View Post
For those of us that like "a nice watch to wear", laser welding is great. My old 5513 hasn't looked better since it rolled off the production line fifty-odd years ago!

The issue with LW is collectors nowadays demanding original everything in NOS condition...but lacking the expertise and experience to source and inspect the pieces (and the money to pay for serious examples, often). Frankly I think those collectors would be better off buying a nice watch to wear most of the time, and leaving the pristine examples to deep-pocketed experten. There are lots of nice old honest watches out there, after all.
I’d love to see photos of the end result, if you’re willing to share it here. In fact a before and after would be even better
Rolex GMT Master 1675 “Pepsi” | Rolex GMT Master II 116710BLNR “Batman” | Rolex Daytona 116520 (black dial) | Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph LE 49150-000A-9017 | Cartier Santos de Cartier Large Black ADLC WSSA0039 | Panerai PAM00673
Initial_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 02:41 PM   #14
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initial_J View Post
I’d love to see photos of the end result, if you’re willing to share it here. In fact a before and after would be even better
I posted some before-and-after photos last year of a 5513 case I decided to have restored. I was fortunate that the crown guards were still good.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=777764
Old 30 November 2021, 12:18 AM   #15
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I posted some before-and-after photos last year of a 5513 case I decided to have restored. I was fortunate that the crown guards were still good.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=777764
Thanks Dan, I need a bit of practice before my pics are up to snuff for this site
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 04:49 AM   #16
pc109
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I think I’d prefer documented Rolliworks polished pieces since they do a great job of restoring chamfers. Even better if the document shows no laser welding. I’d be too stressed worrying and guessing if it’s “unpolished”.
pc109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 06:07 AM   #17
TimeLord2
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
This article came up in October of 2019, Thought you all might find this interesting as the person who did the paper for his graduate studies actually posted a response on TRF (#19) https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ighlight=laser. His only post on TRF by the way. It is very interesting!
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 06:35 AM   #18
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
This article came up in October of 2019, Thought you all might find this interesting as the person who did the paper for his graduate studies actually posted a response on TRF (#19) https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ighlight=laser. His only post on TRF by the way. It is very interesting!
Some of the comments in that thread are pretty funny. Just shows how things have changed in two years.
Old 30 November 2021, 07:15 AM   #19
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Laser welding vintage watches. The future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post

His post is quite interesting, I also find it interesting only 1 person felt it relevant enough to read and quote at the time. It’s also odd he has never been back on.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2021, 11:07 AM   #20
Chris75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Totally agree. Not sure how a recut/refinished/lasered case is any different than an immaculately refinished dial. When it comes to restoration of any part of a vintage Rolex, there are ways to tell what's been done. As restorers get better and better, so does the scrutiny by experts who can dissect a watch down to the tiniest of details. Check out some of the analyses by Perezcope, for example.

So, the OP comes here says he's not a fan of vintage and that improvements in vintage case restoration will be the end of the hobby? Interesting.
Exactly, if you collect, love and study vintage watches you are, and hopefully always will be, able to distinguish an untouched case from a recut (also at the moment it's not that hard).
Furthermore if you collect, love and study vintage watches you are able to choose dealers who declares if a watch is or is not refinished.
Chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote