The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 9 November 2021, 12:01 AM   #1
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Why it's hard for me to trust Seiko & Grand Seiko - Seiko SPB197J1

Special edition. Region exclusive. Limited edition. What do they all really mean?

thesingularity7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 05:44 AM   #2
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
What does it mean? Variety, that's what. It does not bother me, as I see choice as better and having more options in dial color, special editions, better than less. Seiko has always put out a bunch of watches and while most dont get the attention outside of the prospex line, they have many lines and have always added/tweaked things frequently. That said, if one is interested in the say turtle, Williard, 62 MAS, etc. one can get those versions that most closely represent the original and other versions that are far from the original (i.e. the SRP 777 vs the SRPH55).
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 06:23 AM   #3
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
What does it mean? Variety, that's what. It does not bother me, as I see choice as better and having more options in dial color, special editions, better than less. Seiko has always put out a bunch of watches and while most dont get the attention outside of the prospex line, they have many lines and have always added/tweaked things frequently. That said, if one is interested in the say turtle, Williard, 62 MAS, etc. one can get those versions that most closely represent the original and other versions that are far from the original (i.e. the SRP 777 vs the SRPH55).
I think you missed the point of the video. This is more about what those words actually mean to Seiko and Grand Seiko - which in reality is that they mean very little, given how easily this brand will take a "Limited Edition" or a "Region Exclusive" or a "Special Edition" and turn it into a regular production watch if it shows signs of making money.
Old 10 November 2021, 08:20 AM   #4
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesingularity7 View Post
I think you missed the point of the video. This is more about what those words actually mean to Seiko and Grand Seiko - which in reality is that they mean very little, given how easily this brand will take a "Limited Edition" or a "Region Exclusive" or a "Special Edition" and turn it into a regular production watch if it shows signs of making money.

I mean I hear that, but to some degree for me personally, if i like a watch I like a watch. I don’t buy for the limited edition or region exclusive aspect. No matter who does it feels a bit gimmicky to me like a commemorative coin or something. I can appreciate how it irks others however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 03:51 PM   #5
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
A nice watch is a nice watch, regardless of the underlying distribution strategy.
If the ability of someone, someplace else to get one the same as yours lessens your enjoyment, well, "shrug"
If I bought a watch that happened to be an LE of 100 pieces only for release in N America and Seiko later released it all over the world, in the thousands, I really couldn't care less.

I would rather have access to all the available options in any given model.
Old 10 November 2021, 05:55 PM   #6
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
A nice watch is a nice watch, regardless of the underlying distribution strategy.
If the ability of someone, someplace else to get one the same as yours lessens your enjoyment, well, "shrug"
If I bought a watch that happened to be an LE of 100 pieces only for release in N America and Seiko later released it all over the world, in the thousands, I really couldn't care less.

x2!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 07:13 PM   #7
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Clever

Quote:

Well executed.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 07:16 PM   #8
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
As soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesingularity7 View Post
The words expressed are limited you know it ain’t limited, think of Panerai they cannibalised themselves with it. When production ceases it starts to become limited.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2021, 12:15 AM   #9
TheoBeidler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
a nice watch is a nice watch, regardless of the underlying distribution strategy.
if i bought a watch that happened to be an le of 100 pieces only for release in n america and seiko later released it all over the world, in the thousands, i really couldn't care less.

x2!
TheoBeidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2021, 12:31 AM   #10
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I don't disagree with your sentiment and I'm glad the rest of the world will enjoy the Four Seasons collection, but I also would like for us to hold brands to slightly higher standards.

If we all didn't value exclusivity to some extent, this forum would probably be operating at 25% capacity!
Old 11 November 2021, 12:34 AM   #11
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:

I agree but what if you paid $2,000 for the limited edition and then they turned around and sold the same watch as a non-limited edition for $1,000? That would sort of piss me off. Not because I was trying to make money off my watch, but more because I paid double the actual value for the same watch and my watch has now immediately depreciated by 50%+
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2021, 07:27 AM   #12
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

If exclusivity of the GS / Seiko watch (and subsequent resale value) is of any concern or its LE designation contributes to any deciding factor in your purchase decision, DON'T BUY IT.

Seiko will not stop making more and more references and variations of those references. They are opening more and more distribution channels for GS (including an direct online boutique). These watches, for the most part, will be readily available. There are a few exceptions at the moment, but in time that will resolve.

They will not stick to regional limited editions being for that region only.

They will reissue a "limited" edition reference with a different dial color or some other slight changes...

If you simply want a well made and beautifully hand finished watch and that's all you care about, then by all means....buy at will and ENJOY.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exclusive , four seasons , grand seiko , seiko , spb197j1