The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 11 November 2021, 09:32 AM   #1
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO;PP5230G
Grand Seiko 60th Anniversay SBGH 281

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to get people's thoughts on the Grand Seiko 60th Anniversary SBGH 281. I was thinking of the watch as potentially a birth year watch for my son, he was born in September and giving it to him on his 18th birthday. I saw the watch in person and it is absolutely stunning. Wanted to gauge people's thoughts in terms of holding value and or appreciation as well. I am debating between this and a Speedmaster. Any thoughts would be welcomed.
Rexplorer214270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2021, 09:53 AM   #2
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Since you mentioned holding value and appreciation as a factor in you decision, I would advise passing on both watches mentioned in your post and go directly for Rolex.

If you’re interested in the watch for horological reasons, then either are fine.

As for a heirloom I would lean more to the Speedy as it is more timeless design . The GS is much more contemporary and may be dated.
Fleetlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2021, 12:02 PM   #3
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Thanks, was definitely thinking Rolex but being able to get one in the calendar year might be tough. I have a small purchase history (Sub and Explorer), I did inquire with the AD but they couldn't make any guarantees.
Old 11 November 2021, 12:45 PM   #4
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
The case design is based on the renowned 44GS designed by Taro Tanaka in the 1960s, so the look is timeless enough to be future-proof in that regard, IMO. If your son was born in September this year, then a current (Grand) Seiko with a serial starting with '19' will have been produced the same month. I expect that all the SBGH281 models were made in 2019 or 2020 though.
Old 11 November 2021, 12:46 PM   #5
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Congrats on the new addition to your family, I'm sure you haven't slept much in the past couple months!

In terms of the GS SBGH281, its a beautiful reference with enough character to stand on its own. In terms of holding value or appreciation, it's difficult to say but I always felt it was the connection to the giver/receiver that makes it priceless.

The Speedy has always been steady in terms of long term value but it is ubiquitous comparatively to the GS. The Speedy was my wedding watch so I hold a natural bias towards it, but I were in the market between the two, I might lean to the GS.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2021, 02:22 PM   #6
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexplorer214270 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to get people's thoughts on the Grand Seiko 60th Anniversary SBGH 281. I was thinking of the watch as potentially a birth year watch for my son, he was born in September and giving it to him on his 18th birthday. I saw the watch in person and it is absolutely stunning. Wanted to gauge people's thoughts in terms of holding value and or appreciation as well. I am debating between this and a Speedmaster. Any thoughts would be welcomed.

no input on the watch but congrats! my son was also born in september— it’s an auspicious month for future watch lovers it seems
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2021, 02:49 PM   #7
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

It's a very classic reference in my opinion. 60th anniversary is very special and they kept the designs timeless. It's for watch guys that know... The finishing details, historical cases, timeless dials, and clean designs. I'm a big fan but if you care about value retention... Other guys telling you to buy a Rolex is a smarter bet.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2021, 11:29 PM   #8
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
no input on the watch but congrats! my son was also born in september— it’s an auspicious month for future watch lovers it seems
Congrats on the new addition to your family. Are you thinking birth year watch also?
Old 11 November 2021, 11:30 PM   #9
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
It's a very classic reference in my opinion. 60th anniversary is very special and they kept the designs timeless. It's for watch guys that know... The finishing details, historical cases, timeless dials, and clean designs. I'm a big fan but if you care about value retention... Other guys telling you to buy a Rolex is a smarter bet.
Agreed about Rolex, easier said then done ☺️
Old 12 November 2021, 01:23 AM   #10
mbalmz

Grand Seiko 60th Anniversay SBGH 281

Quote:
Congrats on the new addition to your family. Are you thinking birth year watch also?

Yep—I went with a 36mm explorer I.

I actually have a pretty decent AD relationship but it wasn’t working out so said screw it and went grey.

Edit: I actually see you’re from Boston—I grew up there before moving to nyc and still miss it! Don’t get back as often as I should.
___

Old 12 November 2021, 03:33 AM   #11
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
SBGH281 photo: It's the occasion that makes a watch special. I don't think resale value is even a factor. It would be a fine watch for sentimental reasons and there for not for sale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19886553-9vhcv1z2p6xheor3dgbhm7tq-Large.jpg (43.6 KB, 392 views)
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 09:44 AM   #12
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
My honest thoughts, sorry if they appear blunt:
Quote:
I wanted to get people's thoughts on the Grand Seiko 60th Anniversary SBGH 281. I was thinking of the watch as potentially a birth year watch for my son, he was born in September and giving it to him on his 18th birthday.
Ok, it's a nice watch, I like it. But it's not a 2021 watch, the purpose of the 60th anniversary editions is literally to celebrate the year 2020, being the 60th anniversary of the company's launch.

They released a number of celebratory watches in 2020 (I have the blue dial high accuracy quartz, which I like a lot). This model you're considering was released in February 2020 - and is only still available to buy new now because there wasn't enough demand to sell all 1500 of them in 2020. It will have been manufactured in 2019 or 2020 at the latest.

It's not a celebration of September 2021. In 2039 when he receives the watch, he will look up the history and when you tell him 'this is from the year of your birth', he says,

"'Thanks, I understand GS was founded in December 1960 and so this watch commemorates the 60th anniversary of that date, which is December 2020, which is when you and mom f***ed and eventually made me 9 months later. That's a bit creepy, dad..."

Quote:
Wanted to gauge people's thoughts in terms of holding value and or appreciation as well.
It won't hold value. GS is great but is not an investment or famous for keeping its value in real terms, let alone becoming more valuable. Every other model they produce these days is some kind of special edition, but remember this is a watch that only needed to sell 1500 units to sell out, and 21 months later they still haven't achieved it. It's not a rare watch that flew off the shelves.

And by 2039 when he's 18, they will already be announcing the 80th anniversary editions for 2040, with the 75th anniversary editions in recent memory.

Imagine if you took the price of the watch now and invested it in the stock market with compounded investment growth for 18 years. That would get you something excellent, or at least your pick of the very finest 2021 vintage watches.

Personally, I think it is a shame to buy what is a very attractive watch now and have it sit around 18 years in a safe or lockbox just to be able to give it away to him in pristine condition. So, hopefully that is not your plan, and instead you would be wearing it?

In that way, it will get 18 years of knocks and scuffs, but you can hand it down to him as a coming-of-age present: "Dad's watch" with many years of personality and memories built into it. For such a gift, the fact that it is 2020 vintage and he was born in 2021, is neither here nor there.

But once you stop focusing on birth year (as 2020 is not his birth year anyway), it will open up a huge number of competitor watches over the coming years.

Quote:
I am debating between this and a Speedmaster. Any thoughts would be welcomed.
Speedmaster is a popular model, classic design that stood the test of time, not coming from an era when it was trendy for every company to do a shiny blue dial or a green dial or whatever the next thing will be.

But everyone in watch collecting has one if they want one, they are somewhat ubiquitous, which does not make them so special. In 2039 they will probably will still be making them, with yet another special edition. From 2039's perspective there will be nothing particularly special about a speedmaster sold in 2021. Unless his Dad has been wearing it for 18 years.

And if the fact of his dad wearing it for 18 years is what makes it special, then his dad should be buying something that his dad really loves. Not what someone on an internet forum is speculating will 'hold its value'.

Hope that helps add some perspective to your questions.
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 11:03 AM   #13
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yep—I went with a 36mm explorer I.

I actually have a pretty decent AD relationship but it wasn’t working out so said screw it and went grey.

Edit: I actually see you’re from Boston—I grew up there before moving to nyc and still miss it! Don’t get back as often as I should.
Small world! Yea, I checked in with my SA that I bought 2 watches from and it didn’t look promising. If you didn’t go gray would you have gone with a different brand?
Old 12 November 2021, 11:36 AM   #14
mbalmz

Quote:
Small world! Yea, I checked in with my SA that I bought 2 watches from and it didn’t look promising. If you didn’t go gray would you have gone with a different brand?

hard to say… part of it for me was I really wanted the 36mm explorer already so I kind of cheated (and based on my own childhood I highly doubt my little dude will be mature enough for a rolex at 18 so we may be looking a bit later )

I love other brands too (and GS in particular) but my hesitation is I get tired of a lot of watches after a while if it’s not one I’m obsessed with and really really want—and I obv didn’t want risk it being something I want to sell down the road.

I figure it should also be something I’ll love myself if he just isn’t into watches at all and it ends up being much later that I pass it on to him. I guess it’s really more of a watch for me to celebrate his birth than for him LOL
___

Old 12 November 2021, 01:36 PM   #15
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountank2000 View Post
My honest thoughts, sorry if they appear blunt:
Ok, it's a nice watch, I like it. But it's not a 2021 watch, the purpose of the 60th anniversary editions is literally to celebrate the year 2020, being the 60th anniversary of the company's launch.

They released a number of celebratory watches in 2020 (I have the blue dial high accuracy quartz, which I like a lot). This model you're considering was released in February 2020 - and is only still available to buy new now because there wasn't enough demand to sell all 1500 of them in 2020. It will have been manufactured in 2019 or 2020 at the latest.

It's not a celebration of September 2021. In 2039 when he receives the watch, he will look up the history and when you tell him 'this is from the year of your birth', he says,

"'Thanks, I understand GS was founded in December 1960 and so this watch commemorates the 60th anniversary of that date, which is December 2020, which is when you and mom f***ed and eventually made me 9 months later. That's a bit creepy, dad..."

It won't hold value. GS is great but is not an investment or famous for keeping its value in real terms, let alone becoming more valuable. Every other model they produce these days is some kind of special edition, but remember this is a watch that only needed to sell 1500 units to sell out, and 21 months later they still haven't achieved it. It's not a rare watch that flew off the shelves.

And by 2039 when he's 18, they will already be announcing the 80th anniversary editions for 2040, with the 75th anniversary editions in recent memory.

Imagine if you took the price of the watch now and invested it in the stock market with compounded investment growth for 18 years. That would get you something excellent, or at least your pick of the very finest 2021 vintage watches.

Personally, I think it is a shame to buy what is a very attractive watch now and have it sit around 18 years in a safe or lockbox just to be able to give it away to him in pristine condition. So, hopefully that is not your plan, and instead you would be wearing it?

In that way, it will get 18 years of knocks and scuffs, but you can hand it down to him as a coming-of-age present: "Dad's watch" with many years of personality and memories built into it. For such a gift, the fact that it is 2020 vintage and he was born in 2021, is neither here nor there.

But once you stop focusing on birth year (as 2020 is not his birth year anyway), it will open up a huge number of competitor watches over the coming years.

Speedmaster is a popular model, classic design that stood the test of time, not coming from an era when it was trendy for every company to do a shiny blue dial or a green dial or whatever the next thing will be.

But everyone in watch collecting has one if they want one, they are somewhat ubiquitous, which does not make them so special. In 2039 they will probably will still be making them, with yet another special edition. From 2039's perspective there will be nothing particularly special about a speedmaster sold in 2021. Unless his Dad has been wearing it for 18 years.

And if the fact of his dad wearing it for 18 years is what makes it special, then his dad should be buying something that his dad really loves. Not what someone on an internet forum is speculating will 'hold its value'.

Hope that helps add some perspective to your questions.
This definitely helps. You gave me a lot to think about. I was planning on wearing the watch. Thank you.
Old 12 November 2021, 01:37 PM   #16
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Quote:
hard to say… part of it for me was I really wanted the 36mm explorer already so I kind of cheated (and based on my own childhood I highly doubt my little dude will be mature enough for a rolex at 18 so we may be looking a bit later )

I love other brands too (and GS in particular) but my hesitation is I get tired of a lot of watches after a while if it’s not one I’m obsessed with and really really want—and I obv didn’t want risk it being something I want to sell down the road.

I figure it should also be something I’ll love myself if he just isn’t into watches at all and it ends up being much later that I pass it on to him. I guess it’s really more of a watch for me to celebrate his birth than for him LOL
Haha, I am in the exact same boat
Old 14 November 2021, 02:03 PM   #17
Paul G.
"TRF" Member

I received the 381 for my birthday in 2020.

I love the watch and i think it is beautiful. Extremely comfortable.

Ironically, and uncharacterisitically, the watch started running about 8 seconds a day slow - way more than it should. It is in service right now. To their credit, the watch is out of warranty but Seiko is honoring it anyway (Seiko recently increased their warranty period dramatically).

I love the watch and can't wait to get it back. Everyone has an opinion on value retention and no one knows. Watches are like art work. They are worth what someone else is willing to pay for them.

Like many on this forum probably agree, for the money right now GS is a terrific value. No idea if it appreciates. On the one hand, as noted in a post above the watch is not particularly hard to get and can probably be acquired under retail. On the other hand, I also have the SBGA387 and, it is being offered at about 100% over MSRP on some sites.

I really like both of my GS's - so decide whether you like it enough to buy it.
Paul G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2021, 12:20 AM   #18
Stranger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Moser Streamliner
The GS is beautiful and its design is quite timeless. I don't think it will look dated.

I also don't think it will hold its value. To be frank, I don't think *any* watch will hold its value over the next 18 years, unless you happen to find the next Nautilus. Even a stainless Rolex would not hold its value over 18 years.

If I were you, I'd look around for a watch *you* will want to wear for the next 18 years, then buy it - maybe on your son's 1st birthday if you really want to find a meaningful date. Then wear it as he grow up around you. He will see it. He will associate the watch with you. Keep the box carefully wrapped up somewhere. Keep the papers. Keep the service papers. Then gift it to him at the appropriate time. By then it will have a family heirloom quality that will make its monetary value meaningless.

(As to what watch you should get, it's up to you but I'd recommend something from an established brand, and something that can work in the office and in nightclubs. A GS would be fine, or a Seamaster, maybe an Aqua Terra. I wouldn't get a Speedmaster because I have found that I get tired of staring at a chrono dial.)
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2021, 02:09 PM   #19
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDelage View Post
The GS is beautiful and its design is quite timeless. I don't think it will look dated.

I also don't think it will hold its value. To be frank, I don't think *any* watch will hold its value over the next 18 years, unless you happen to find the next Nautilus. Even a stainless Rolex would not hold its value over 18 years.

If I were you, I'd look around for a watch *you* will want to wear for the next 18 years, then buy it - maybe on your son's 1st birthday if you really want to find a meaningful date. Then wear it as he grow up around you. He will see it. He will associate the watch with you. Keep the box carefully wrapped up somewhere. Keep the papers. Keep the service papers. Then gift it to him at the appropriate time. By then it will have a family heirloom quality that will make its monetary value meaningless.

(As to what watch you should get, it's up to you but I'd recommend something from an established brand, and something that can work in the office and in nightclubs. A GS would be fine, or a Seamaster, maybe an Aqua Terra. I wouldn't get a Speedmaster because I have found that I get tired of staring at a chrono dial.)
Very well put
Old 17 November 2021, 01:33 AM   #20
Mr_Pacman
"TRF" Member

I own the SBGH281 and think it's a great watch. One of my favorites. The way the suburst starts at the GS logo vs the center of the dial is unique and the dial seems to change colors depending on the different lighting conditions.

Having said that, I think there is a premium attached to this model that may not be deserved. The non limited model GS high beat models with the 44GS case (like the SBGH205 with the black mt Iwate dial) are less expensive and just as nice. If you can snag one for the same price as one of the "standard" models, I think it would be a fantastic gift.
Mr_Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 02:24 AM   #21
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
I could never understand the whole birth year watch thing. I buy a watch for myself, one that I like now, will wear now and for many years, when the time come my sons will get them and hopefully enjoy them, or they can get what they want when they want it.
Holding a watch for 17, 18, 20 years makes no sense to me.