The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 November 2021, 10:38 PM   #1
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

Pitting

I was wondering what pitting on a watch case is caused by.

Is pitting caused by air bubbles within the steel during the manufacturing process?

I was also wondering if it can be repaired. If so, is it expensive?

I kind of like the look of pitting on a watch. However, my concern is that pitting on the back of the watch may impact water resistance.
ravenhome777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2021, 11:05 PM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

My understanding is that it is caused by moisture from ambient water (including sea water) and sweat that sits on the steel for long periods of time. You often find pitting in areas where water can be trapped, e.g. between end-links and case, under the case-back flange.

People sometimes claim that pitting can be repaired by laser welding, but when I have asked about such repairs, experts have declined to attempt such repairs, saying that the porosity can result in poor results. Yes, if it is severe enough, porosity on the sealing surfaces can certainly impact water resistance. YMMV.
Old 15 November 2021, 11:10 PM   #3
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Like the look? Whatever causes it, it's one thing that vintage dealers have never found a cool name for, and should be avoided when buying a vintage watch.
Old 16 November 2021, 03:14 AM   #4
yowlie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 pumpkin
Salt water destroys even the best steel. Some stainless knives won't last one trip diving unless rinsed.
yowlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2021, 09:12 AM   #5
zapokee
"TRF" Member

My OysterQuartz doesn't pass a pressure test due to pitting. Solution: I don't wear it the one time I'm in a pool every couple of years. I've had it 10 years and there's never been a moisture problem.

Pitting isn't a big issue for me, unless you're involved in some serious water activities - as long as the watch is priced accordingly.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2021, 02:17 PM   #6
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

I'm a stickler for having things done right, so I'll probably see this through. I suppose the best options for watchmakers to repair pitting is Phillip Ridley or Rolliworks. I have never worked with either company, but I'm interested in giving one of them a try.

It'll need more than lazer welding. I'll need a service and a couple other things.
Old 22 November 2021, 10:21 AM   #7
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
This is one case in point where regular service and even regular inspection
and pressure testing may serve to obviate severe corrosion. My 50-yr old red 1680 Submariner saw regular salt and fresh water dives, but was regularly pressure tested with new O-rings/gaskets. It never developed any pitting, but was cleaned where appropriate.

Keep in mind that the stainless steel Rolex now uses is a better grade than that found on their watches from the 1950s-through 1970s. Tougher as to corrosion resistance.
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 12:37 PM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenhome777 View Post
I'm a stickler for having things done right, so I'll probably see this through. I suppose the best options for watchmakers to repair pitting is Phillip Ridley or Rolliworks. I have never worked with either company, but I'm interested in giving one of them a try.

It'll need more than lazer welding. I'll need a service and a couple other things.
Almost anything can be repaired if you are willing, and you have the right watchmaker.

Severe pitting can be removed with a lathe, and a new disc/ring pressed into place to provide all of the required surfaces

Some think that laser welding will cure everything, but it doesn't.

If you are serious you can't go wrong seeking a consult with the Ridleys.
Old 22 November 2021, 06:45 PM   #9
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
I have read multiple times on forums about this. Based on what it has been said by far more intelligent people than I it is a mixture of factors.

Basically, the metal is affected by oils, fats, salts and acids. Some of these are produced by the skin and some are just around us. (seawater, chemicals from pools, suncreams etc)

Most of the pitting I see is around the area where the gasket sits or underneath the lugs. Rarely on top of the case.
I blame the acidic sweat and seawater for most of it. Also, I think that an old gasket once it gets moist with sweat it creates the perfect environment for pitting.

As a vintage enthusiast, I always slap my head when people say: "I didn't service my watch in 25 years, works perfect, why bother?!!"
Because, the watch gasket does a wonderful job as long as it is changed periodically. After a while, it works against you.
Old 22 November 2021, 08:12 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOG DIVER View Post
This is one case in point where regular service and even regular inspection
and pressure testing may serve to obviate severe corrosion. My 50-yr old red 1680 Submariner saw regular salt and fresh water dives, but was regularly pressure tested with new O-rings/gaskets. It never developed any pitting, but was cleaned where appropriate.

Keep in mind that the stainless steel Rolex now uses is a better grade than that found on their watches from the 1950s-through 1970s. Tougher as to corrosion resistance.
Exactly and most pitting stuff you see on the net is when Rolex watches were used as proper tool watches. And many of these watches were never serviced regular, with todays mainly pampered Rolex watches, pitting should not be a problem no matter the the name of the metal used. All any Rolex needs is regular washing in soap and water and normal RSC service at correct intervals depending on use.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2021, 11:02 AM   #11
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

Aesthetically, I find the pitting kind of appealing. It has some pitting on the top of the lugs which I think looks kind of cool. But, if I have the pitting around the back seal repaired, I might as well have it all done at once, I suppose.