The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 November 2021, 05:27 AM   #1
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

For those here well plugged into Le Brassus and AP, would appreciate thoughts on the following:

1) Did 15202 production across all metals, including ST, officially end? I read that the Only Watch 15202 with Swiss only dial and original typeface might’ve been the last 15202 made, but nothing definitive.

2) For 50th anniversary and beyond, will we no longer get the cal 2121? Again, read that this was done, but not sure.

3) Annual production of the 15202 was supposedly ~500 per annum out or 40,000 total watches made by AP. Do we know if this was consistent in the pandemic years?

4) Any reliable hint at what the 50th model will look like? I assume similar in aesthetic to the Only Watch in rare metal and new movement

5) When would AP unveil the 50th anniversary Jumbo? W+W?

Just an uninformed admirer here. Thanks.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 05:47 AM   #2
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
For those here well plugged into Le Brassus and AP, would appreciate thoughts on the following:

1) Did 15202 production across all metals, including ST, officially end? I read that the Only Watch 15202 with Swiss only dial and original typeface might’ve been the last 15202 made, but nothing definitive.

2) For 50th anniversary and beyond, will we no longer get the cal 2121? Again, read that this was done, but not sure.
"but first of all, an important thing: this watch is the last unique 15202 Jumbo that Audemars Piguet will ever produce, since the reference and its movement will officially retire at the end of 2021, making way for the new generation, a new model that will be launched for the 50th anniversary of the legendary sports watch presented in 1972. "

Seems pretty definitive to me.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 06:28 AM   #3
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post

4) Any reliable hint at what the 50th model will look like? I assume similar in aesthetic to the Only Watch in rare metal and new movement
Look at the current beast vs. the last beast re-edition. From what I hear from the inside, new movement but no great disturbance in terms of looks.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 06:57 AM   #4
911AP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
Look at the current beast vs. the last beast re-edition. From what I hear from the inside, new movement but no great disturbance in terms of looks.
But for the 15202 that movement is everything for collectors. It's the original royal oak movement. A 15202 with a new movement is basically a 15300.
911AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 07:35 AM   #5
john_peter33
"TRF" Member

I’m interested to know when? W&W?
john_peter33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 08:53 AM   #6
illiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911AP View Post
But for the 15202 that movement is everything for collectors. It's the original royal oak movement. A 15202 with a new movement is basically a 15300.
I share this sentiment. I know FHB is forward-looking and not afraid to take risks (see Code 11.59), but apart from 5402, would seem the 15202 will remain the true heir, golden anniversary or not.
Old 25 November 2021, 11:21 AM   #7
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well it did not harm the Nautilus back in the day. Furthermore, for the brand, it’s damned if they do, damned if they don’t. They have to do something new and something big for the 50th, and simultaneously cannot do anything that would dilute the appeal of the 15202 and harm its value (the last thing you want in anniversary year is a story of how all the „investors“ got burnt). So changing to a new movement is essentially the only thing they can do.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Old 25 November 2021, 11:35 AM   #8
illiguy

Quote:
Well it did not harm the Nautilus back in the day. Furthermore, for the brand, it’s damned if they do, damned if they don’t. They have to do something new and something big for the 50th, and simultaneously cannot do anything that would dilute the appeal of the 15202 and harm its value (the last thing you want in anniversary year is a story of how all the „investors“ got burnt). So changing to a new movement is essentially the only thing they can do.
Well said.
Old 27 November 2021, 12:24 AM   #9
charlie2888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I feel like releasing a more faithful recreation of the 5402 would be an incredibly attractive alternative. Thinner case and bracelet, original fonts, smaller tapisserie pattern on dial, unsigned crown, etc. I think there would be a big market for that among the people who truly care about the 50th anniversary.
charlie2888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 04:49 AM   #10
gregouille
"TRF" Member

The 2022 39mm Skeleton will be nice for sure
gregouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 05:01 AM   #11
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie2888 View Post
I feel like releasing a more faithful recreation of the 5402 would be an incredibly attractive alternative. Thinner case and bracelet, original fonts, smaller tapisserie pattern on dial, unsigned crown, etc. I think there would be a big market for that among the people who truly care about the 50th anniversary.
AP is about being modern, they will never go back
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 05:13 AM   #12
Dave from NYC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post
Dave from NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 05:44 AM   #13
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
One might think so, but then there was the 25th anniversary Beast re-edition, so who knows.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 09:06 AM   #14
911AP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That wasn't kept for 20 years or whatever. If anything it was done to distance themselves from AP and give the nautilus it's own identify as a Patek. That's why it's different. But AP is the original and that movement is and was designed for the royal oak.

I'm sure they will just put a new movement and call it a day. I would welcome that. Hell I'd sell my 15202 for that. I don't care too much for the historical movement. I just like how thin it is and it's 39mm. I'd love to have a 15202 with a new movement. The non screw down crown and adjusting the date is annoying. Half the time I don't even change the date to the right day when I set my watch. I only do it if it's within 2-3 days. More than that I say hell with it.
911AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 12:30 PM   #15
Qimchi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Everything
I am guessing on....new movement for sure!
Qimchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 03:56 PM   #16
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wouldn't say that is entirely the case...

Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 05:31 PM   #17
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
Wouldn't say that is entirely the case...

I was just going to say this - look at the remaster.
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 06:57 PM   #18
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That wasn't kept for 20 years or whatever. If anything it was done to distance themselves from AP and give the nautilus it's own identify as a Patek. That's why it's different. But AP is the original and that movement is and was designed for the royal oak.

I'm sure they will just put a new movement and call it a day. I would welcome that. Hell I'd sell my 15202 for that. I don't care too much for the historical movement. I just like how thin it is and it's 39mm. I'd love to have a 15202 with a new movement. The non screw down crown and adjusting the date is annoying. Half the time I don't even change the date to the right day when I set my watch. I only do it if it's within 2-3 days. More than that I say hell with it.

A “25202” with gold three dimensional Audermars Piguet, logo a-la Code1159, new improved movement while still being historically correct, and easily removed bracelet to place it on leather like the new Offshores might be what the new RO needs. Everything else almost the same especially in size - well…. maybe 40mm case increase like the new Sub experienced that 1mm size. But, who knows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 08:39 PM   #19
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
that movement is and was designed for the royal oak.

Oh, is that so? The folks at JLC must have had a really powerful crystal ball then, they developed that movement in the mid sixties and presented it a full four years before Genta first drew up a Royal Oak leading up to the Basel fair in 1971 (still called the Safari back then, as it only got its final name later on).

Old 27 November 2021, 09:17 PM   #20
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrock View Post
A “25202” with gold three dimensional Audermars Piguet, logo a-la Code1159, new improved movement while still being historically correct, and easily removed bracelet to place it on leather like the new Offshores might be what the new RO needs. Everything else almost the same especially in size - well…. maybe 40mm case increase like the new Sub experienced that 1mm size. But, who knows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I had thought the 15202 is a watch for people who know what they want and who do not need to jump between bracelet, leather, rubber etc. LOL

More seriously, I totally get why people put a Submariner on Nato and wear an IWC Pilot on leather and bracelet, but I don't think the poster children of integrated-bracelet sports watches look good on a strap.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 09:28 AM   #21
illiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I had thought the 15202 is a watch for people who know what they want and who do not need to jump between bracelet, leather, rubber etc. LOL

More seriously, I totally get why people put a Submariner on Nato and wear an IWC Pilot on leather and bracelet, but I don't think the poster children of integrated-bracelet sports watches look good on a strap.
Could not have said it better myself. A lot of the charm of the 15202 is the amazing bracelet.