The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 December 2020, 03:54 PM   #91
WalterVandervort
"TRF" Member

Redwings do come up a little larger in sizing so it’s worth going half or a full size down rim your usual boot size. These are proper tuff leather so a bit of breaking in pain can be expected but worth it in the end as these boots last for years
WalterVandervort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 11:36 PM   #92
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterVandervort View Post
Redwings do come up a little larger in sizing so it’s worth going half or a full size down rim your usual boot size. These are proper tuff leather so a bit of breaking in pain can be expected but worth it in the end as these boots last for years
Having quite a good number of other leather shoes and boots my Redwings are the only leather footwear where I have experienced such great pain while breaking them in. In fact I've not experienced any pain whatsoever when breaking in any other footwear I currently own. Not sure what you mean by tough but I can tell you they are not by any means the only pair of well built footwear I own either. Yes, for the price range they are good boots or shoes but far from the best that I own. In fact if I had purchased them later after owning others first there's a better than average chance I would not have purchased mine given there is no need for such a panful break-in period when it comes to a good pair of footwear of any kind. Especially since I know what I know now and the fact there are so many other better options available in that price range or very close that I am now aware of that I was not at that point in time. Because as I said there is no valid excuse I can think of for such a gainful break-in period when none of my other footwear has been anywhere close to the pain I had to go through for my two pairs of Redwing Boots.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2020, 01:12 PM   #93
-lenny-
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 👑
Granted, mine are a bit more utilitarian than the others posted, but I have recently joined the Red Wing Boot club. I've got to say, initial impression is they are very comfortable and well crafted.

-lenny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2021, 09:35 PM   #94
Samantha111
Banned

Both Wolverine and Red Wing work boots are constructed to protect our feet for hours and hours at hazardous workplaces. They come with the necessary safety features, ensuring great support to prevent hurt and fatigue while offering comfort.
Samantha111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 11:00 AM   #95
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
Only wear US made steel toe for work or Keen US made steel toe .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 11:40 AM   #96
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
You"ll have to let us know what you think. I came close to getting a pair of Whites myself, but I didn't only because I had so many boots already.
Well I guess I completely forgot to update this thread. I’ve had the White’s (Baker’s) Bounty Hunters for over a year now. I went with the brown horsehide. Just an exceptional boot. Extremely comfortable, well made and feel indestructible. Being in the Northeast I get about 8-9 months a year of everyday use. Very happy with the custom fit, especially considering I was told I had one of the most odd foot shapes they’ve ever seen.
Off course, as with all my boots, they immediately were fitted with
Pisgah Range LTD Boot laces.
350090E5-ABF5-4E17-BF5B-8B2B29E78503.jpeg

E38E8356-5B53-4F11-8FBA-8A7C75421324.jpeg
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 12:30 PM   #97
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Red Wing Boots

Quote:
Having quite a good number of other leather shoes and boots my Redwings are the only leather footwear where I have experienced such great pain while breaking them in. In fact I've not experienced any pain whatsoever when breaking in any other footwear I currently own. Not sure what you mean by tough but I can tell you they are not by any means the only pair of well built footwear I own either. Yes, for the price range they are good boots or shoes but far from the best that I own. In fact if I had purchased them later after owning others first there's a better than average chance I would not have purchased mine given there is no need for such a panful break-in period when it comes to a good pair of footwear of any kind. Especially since I know what I know now and the fact there are so many other better options available in that price range or very close that I am now aware of that I was not at that point in time. Because as I said there is no valid excuse I can think of for such a gainful break-in period when none of my other footwear has been anywhere close to the pain I had to go through for my two pairs of Redwing Boots.

I know this is going to sound crazy but the day you get them, wet them down and wear them. With any boot this is my way of breaking them in quick. Just don’t do it in winter.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 12:59 PM   #98
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
the heritage line is made in the US. the professional workboots are made in China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrustypig View Post
I’ve had RWs for years and get them from all over. I have never heard any of them are made in China. RW are proud if their heritage and provenance. I highly doubt there are genuine China-made versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
You should look at the tags on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
If I am not mistaken some Redwings are made in China now also.

Mine are the 4470’s and they’re made in USA. I go through a pair a year and am on my 10th or 11th pair. They have always been great, till the sole wears out or the upper gets cut through. The steel toes actually have saved my piggies once or twice over the years. I wouldn’t go with any other boot for the price and quality. Great customer service from the Red Wing store we have an account with as well.

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 10:54 PM   #99
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-710 View Post
Well I guess I completely forgot to update this thread. I’ve had the White’s (Baker’s) Bounty Hunters for over a year now. I went with the brown horsehide. Just an exceptional boot. Extremely comfortable, well made and feel indestructible. Being in the Northeast I get about 8-9 months a year of everyday use. Very happy with the custom fit, especially considering I was told I had one of the most odd foot shapes they’ve ever seen.
Off course, as with all my boots, they immediately were fitted with
Pisgah Range LTD Boot laces.
Attachment 1257341

Attachment 1257342
I'm really glad to hear this worked so well for you. The fact that Baker's works with you on your measurements has to be such a blessing. Although it might be easier to do this in person for most people you just aren't going to be able to find the same quality of shoes or boots locally.

Whites have always been one of those boots I think about getting but never have but they certainly are at the top of my list. I just recently looked into these but it was between Whites, Nicks, and Viberg. Nicks will send you a trial pair in the same Last you looking to buy by the way. When you get the trial pair they have you speak with a someone on the phone to discuss the fit.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 27 November 2021, 11:00 PM   #100
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
I know this is going to sound crazy but the day you get them, wet them down and wear them. With any boot this is my way of breaking them in quick. Just don’t do it in winter.

To me it does sound a bit crazy to do this with leather but then again for the most part it just hasn't been necessary as since most of my footwear requires little or no break-in and I have quite a few from a number of different shoemakers.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 27 November 2021, 11:14 PM   #101
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
I'm really glad to hear this worked so well for you. The fact that Baker's works with you on your measurements has to be such a blessing. Although it might be easier to do this in person for most people you just aren't going to be able to find the same quality of shoes or boots locally.

Whites have always been one of those boots I think about getting but never have but they certainly are at the top of my list. I just recently looked into these but it was between Whites, Nicks, and Viberg. Nicks will send you a trial pair in the same Last you looking to buy by the way. When you get the trial pair they have you speak with a someone on the phone to discuss the fit.

You can’t beat that. Just being able to see something in person first let alone try it on is a huge bonus. If I had that opportunity I would most likely have done everything the same with the exception of changing my order from double stitch to single. Only something I truly understood after I saw it.

I’ve actually been considering a pair of Nick’s Falcons for my next pair.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 11:38 PM   #102
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-710 View Post
You can’t beat that. Just being able to see something in person first let alone try it on is a huge bonus. If I had that opportunity I would most likely have done everything the same with the exception of changing my order from double stitch to single. Only something I truly understood after I saw it.

I’ve actually been considering a pair of Nick’s Falcons for my next pair.
I think I like the aesthetics of their urban logger the most, but I just don't need or foresee the lug sole being the most comfortable thing to wear. That and I really do like the Viberg Service Boot on the 2030 Last in regards not only how they look but the fit I am able to get at least in the D width anyway. Ah well, it's not that I really need another pair of boots so I'm not in a real big hurry to make up my mind.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons