The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 October 2021, 02:44 PM   #1
big5safari
"TRF" Member

To RSC or not yet?

I have a Submariner that's about 7 years old. It still keeps time accurately...maybe gains a second a day. What I have noticed in recent months are:

1. If I don't wear the watch over a weekend then it stops within about 30 hours or so. I recall it lasting at least a couple days in the past.

2. When I shake my left hand with my watch on, sometimes I can feel, and may be even hear, something that's similar to release of a wound spring.

I would think if one of the springs gave up its ghost then it shouldn't be able to keep time so accurately.

I called my local AD a coupe days ago and I was informed that it will cost ~$1100 to service my Submariner at RSC. What are your thoughts? Should I send it in to RSC or not yet?

Regards,
big5safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 07:49 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by big5safari View Post
I have a Submariner that's about 7 years old. It still keeps time accurately...maybe gains a second a day. What I have noticed in recent months are:

1. If I don't wear the watch over a weekend then it stops within about 30 hours or so. I recall it lasting at least a couple days in the past.

2. When I shake my left hand with my watch on, sometimes I can feel, and may be even hear, something that's similar to release of a wound spring.

I would think if one of the springs gave up its ghost then it shouldn't be able to keep time so accurately.

I called my local AD a coupe days ago and I was informed that it will cost ~$1100 to service my Submariner at RSC. What are your thoughts? Should I send it in to RSC or not yet?

Regards,
First your watch accuracy is fine no problems there, and just wearing the watch dont wind the watch its wrist activity what winds the watch. Even when worn will do no harm whatsoever to give a full manual wind say once a week or so just to keep mainspring at peak power-reserve. As for service that should cost no more than $800- $900,when you shake the watch expect you can hear the rotor spinning on its axil. Although Rolex do not state a exact period for service, what they have said depending on use the average time is 10 years. If you can hear the rotor noise when you shake and its quite loud then perhaps and a big perhaps you may have a problem.

The main Achilles heel in most all of the Rolex 31 series movements like the cal 3035,Cal 3130,cal 3135 Cal 3155, cal 3185/6 is the rotor shaft bearings, and IMHO its the 31 series movements weakest link the rotor winding sleeve bearings. Now these need proper lubrication and its very critical its done right, if it dries out especially in warm climates you will get severe wear in the bearing jewels, especially if sat on one of these machine winder things 24/7.Looks like to me Rolex has sacrificed a bit in the engineering department for better winding efficiency, IMHO the small diameter winding post don't offer enough support to the rotor weight, but again some go on for decades without service, but many fail for the lack of. Now if your rotor does need replacing and many do, then you can be 100% sure the movement needs a full service as well.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 11:21 PM   #3
big5safari
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much for the info. It is very helpful Peter.

IF the rotor is defective then would the watch keep time accurately?

Regards,
Old 14 October 2021, 11:52 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by big5safari View Post
Thank you so much for the info. It is very helpful Peter.

IF the rotor is defective then would the watch keep time accurately?

Regards,
If watch is keeping good time then I would think the rotor is winding your watch to keep sufficient power in the mainspring. If the rotor axel shaft is worn or the bearing, they can be quite noisy and rotor might rub on the case back.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 02:31 PM   #5
big5safari
"TRF" Member

Thanks again padi56!!