The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 16 October 2021, 02:45 AM   #61
xrole
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys to all the well-wishers and those giving sage advice of the tangible chances that this is bogus. I hope it is clear by now from my posts that I am aware of the risks here, but am consciously taking a chance on it being legit due to the payment protections due diligence I did, and due to the seller not being some fresh fish on Ebay. If I need to go through the rigmarole of getting my money back with Ebay and/or my credit card company then I will do that. I am a determined and persistent guy.

He also replied to a mail within 3 hours to tell me he will send it by tracked and insured delivery for the full purchase price, so at least it's not a communications blackout.

Watch this space for if it goes well, or of course if it goes south to hell and back.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 02:50 AM   #62
yorkzilla
"TRF" Member

The OP posted a screen shot of his purchase. I noticed the avatar of the seller, exquisite jewels, is the logo of Collectors Coin and Jewels (collectors1946.com). The eBay posting appears to be linked to their Massapequa store. They have six stores, I think, in Long Island. I have purchased and sold Rolexes with the Huntington store and had good experience with them. They even provided appraisals of the Rolexes I bought from them. I paid by bank wire transfer. My latest purchase from them was a blue dial Sky Dweller, box, papers, manuals for $20K++. I would be interested to see the OP’s screen shot of the item with the posted price.
Old 16 October 2021, 02:52 AM   #63
edisonstar23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkzilla View Post
The OP posted a screen shot of his purchase. I noticed the avatar of the seller, exquisite jewels, is the logo of Collectors Coin and Jewels (collectors1946.com). The eBay posting appears to be linked to their Massapequa store. They have six stores, I think, in Long Island. I have purchased and sold Rolexes with the Huntington store and had good experience with them. They even provided appraisals of the Rolexes I bought from them. I paid by bank wire transfer. My latest purchase from them was a blue dial Sky Dweller, box, papers, manuals for $20K++. I would be interested to see the OP’s screen shot of the item with the posted price.

The OP did not post the listing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edisonstar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 03:03 AM   #64
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Curious as to why, despite plenty other Rolex, there's no Skydweller listed in their completed sales listings ?

https://www.ebay.com/str/collectors1...&LH_Complete=1

Perhaps OP can post a link ?

As far as eBay buying, it's safer than buying from a private buyer on this or just about any other forum.
Purchased watch goes for authentication, ( and eBay is apparently investing quite a lot in this, for high value, commonly faked items besides watches.), before being shipped to the buyer. Plus CC protection and Pay protection, you're pretty well insulated against non delivery, or delivery of a fake.

As to fake Skydwellers, there are a few that mimic the external appearance very well, but none that have the correctly functioning calendar, so it should be easy enough to tell.
Old 16 October 2021, 03:07 AM   #65
yorkzilla
"TRF" Member

I purchased my Sky Dweller directly from their Huntington store. It won’t show up in completed eBay sales.
Old 16 October 2021, 03:11 AM   #66
yorkzilla
"TRF" Member

If the listed price is indeed $14k, it was a typo. On the other hand, I had an experience with a dealer who listed a price too good to be true, after realizing his error, said that they “just sold it”. Two hours later, they posted the same item with a price within the range of market prices at the time.
Old 16 October 2021, 03:41 AM   #67
ROLEXster
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on BS wait list
Good luck OP.
Awesome deal if legit.
ROLEXster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 03:55 AM   #68
HankScorpio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
After looking at all the facts to me this looks like a pricing error, the ‘1’ was supposed to be a ‘2’… they’re a legit business and legit eBay seller. My hunch is this was a mistake on their part and will cancel the transaction.
Agreed. They have another skydweller posted at $24k. Seem like a listing error.
HankScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 03:56 AM   #69
xrole
"TRF" Member

Well, I just realised there were further photos on the Ebay auction that I hadn't seen yet, they were at the end of the gallery and I didn't scroll far enough to get to them. They are of the Rolex box, with the watch in it, and the warranty card with the date of purchase visible serial number blanked out. All corresponds to the listing information.

If this watch is a fake, then it's a very high effort fake with full box and accessories, that even an AD could easily sniff out, and the seller seems to have given me all of the evidence I would need to claim money back.

I am not daring to get my hopes too high, but...

PS: I just realised I can directly link the photos without linking the auction page and seller, so I will do that:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisonstar23 View Post
The OP did not post the listing

You are right, and I wish more people would read threads properly.
Old 16 October 2021, 04:50 AM   #70
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
OP, no one here wants you to get screwed. I will be the first to be sincerely jealous if this works out for you. I guess after 50 years of collecting watches, I've seen too much go wrong and I'm unfortunately pessimistic about this deal. Sounds like you've gotten good advice in case this goes south so all I can say is good luck to you!!!

Btw, if you can have some photos of the outside of the green box, the inside where Rolex is printed on the inside of the lid or the underside of the pillow, Ill be able to tell you if those are legit...
Old 16 October 2021, 04:53 AM   #71
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
OP, no one here wants you to get screwed. I will be the first to be sincerely jealous if this works out for you. I guess after 50 years of collecting watches, I've seen too much go wrong and I'm unfortunately pessimistic about this deal. Sounds like you've gotten good advice in case this goes south so all I can say is good luck to you!!!
No worries thanks gary don't worry I don't take anything personally on forums, I have been using them too long and my skin is very thick. I am also a realist, I generally expect the worst and am pleasantly surprised when things work out. I went into this with my eyes open, fully aware of the risks and consequences, so lets see how it turns out.

When or if I receive the box and watch I will post all the photos you can hope for.
Old 16 October 2021, 05:19 AM   #72
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrole View Post

When or if I receive the box and watch I will post all the photos you can hope for.
You won't be receiving any watch. This is a common scam (hacked eBay/PayPal account).
Assuming you followed eBay's payment protocol for their buyer protection, you will get your money back (and have recourse via your CC company failing that).

Here's the actual seller, from whom the eBay listing photos were stolen:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=766792
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 05:26 AM   #73
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
You won't be receiving any watch. This is a common scam (hacked eBay/PayPal account).
Assuming you followed eBay's payment protocol for their buyer protection, you will get your money back (and have recourse via your CC company failing that).

Oh wow thanks man that is really much appreciated! I did google image searches and saw nothing! Looks like it will be claimsville.
Old 16 October 2021, 05:32 AM   #74
edisonstar23
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Wow that was fast!!! Stolen pictures found under a different thread …. I guess we were not pessimistic after all- in life it all comes down to experience and my grandma and my grandmas grandma all went by “if it’s too good to be truth… it isn’t”…. Get your money back my friend!!!

edisonstar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 05:34 AM   #75
flyboyyy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh wow thanks man that is really much appreciated! I did google image searches and saw nothing! Looks like it will be claimsville.
On top of that, are you absolutely SURE you paid through and were working through the actual ebay website itself and not a mirror (which is an extremely common scam) - or the actual seller you thought you were buying from?!?

That would clearly explain the lack of "sold" listings for that watch in general, and the lack of it on the sellers "real" profile under their sold listings.

As others have mentioned many, many, many times - "if it's too good to be true"...
flyboyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 05:41 AM   #76
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyyy View Post
On top of that, are you absolutely SURE you paid through and were working through the actual ebay website itself and not a mirror (which is an extremely common scam) - or the actual seller you thought you were buying from?!?

That would clearly explain the lack of "sold" listings for that watch in general, and the lack of it on the sellers "real" profile under their sold listings.

As others have mentioned many, many, many times - "if it's too good to be true"...
No-one has seen the real sellers profile because I did not post it at any point within this thread and neither did anyone else, only guesses at who the seller was, and they were wrong. And yes, I am quite sure I used the real Ebay site so it is obvious that either the sellers account has been compromised, or he has gotten desperate and gone to crime town.
Old 16 October 2021, 05:43 AM   #77
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
No prob. And many (most) times, these scammers are too lazy to write their own ad copy, and just cut/paste the description details from the same place they stole pictures from...as was the case here (and that is how I found the original listing).

freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 05:53 AM   #78
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No prob. And many (most) times, these scammers are too lazy to write their own ad copy, and just cut/paste the description details from the same place they stole pictures from...as was the case here (and that is how I found the original listing).

Sigh, I was actually hoping to at least receive something and then have some fun checking it. Seems like this should be far more cut and dry.

So yes, in the end the old adage was right and all suspicions were confirmed.
Old 16 October 2021, 06:27 AM   #79
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
No-one has seen the real sellers profile because I did not post it at any point within this thread and neither did anyone else, only guesses at who the seller was, and they were wrong. And yes, I am quite sure I used the real Ebay site so it is obvious that either the sellers account has been compromised, or he has gotten desperate and gone to crime town.
I don't understand your reluctance to post a link to the original sale. It might have gotten you some better answers

Looking through all Skydweller sales on eBay I don't see anything having sold for what you claim to have payed, nor any auction using those stolen pics.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&LH_Complete=1

What happened to your seller ?
Old 16 October 2021, 07:06 AM   #80
yorkzilla
"TRF" Member

freefly gets ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ in my book
Old 16 October 2021, 08:14 AM   #81
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaZCaL View Post
That price is way too cheap. As they say, “if it’s too good to be true…..”

Good luck!
Yeah OP has more courage than me.
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 08:31 AM   #82
bob.dorris1
"TRF" Member

In the future, consider asking him for references. Since it's taking a long time to arrive, that sounds like it's coming from out of the country, correct?
bob.dorris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 08:40 AM   #83
Keepchasing
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
If you don’t get it from an AD, use one of the trusted sellers here.
You are asking for it.
Sounds too good to be true, BUT, I hope it works out for you.
Keepchasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 12:42 PM   #84
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Sigh, I was actually hoping to at least receive something and then have some fun checking it. Seems like this should be far more cut and dry.

So yes, in the end the old adage was right and all suspicions were confirmed.
Sorry about the way this is going. Cautionary tale for us all. Hope in the end you’re made whole by Ebay!
Old 16 October 2021, 12:49 PM   #85
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Just ordered a used Rolex from Ebay... any risks I am missing?

Mark
rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 01:56 PM   #86
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Sorry about the way this is going. Cautionary tale for us all. Hope in the end you’re made whole by Ebay!
Thanks and it's not unexpected, so I will deal with it.

The seller has now posted a DHL tracking number (I got the Ebay notification at half past midnight) to say it has been shipped, so I guess he is going to send something to a wrong address and then rely on Ebay seeing that he has shipped something that says "delivered" in the system. Basically the same or similar case to this one where an account has been hijacked https://community.ebay.com/t5/My-Acc.../td-p/28344690

Alternatively, I guess I could get a package with a fake watch in it, though this seems less likely as I can then just immediately process a return with the evidence in hand.

Ebay said I need to wait until the last estimated shipping day to raise a case with them but I am wondering if I should wait for that or check if my cc company can reverse the payment because it has not yet actually gone through, it is still "reserved" on my credit card.

The question is, if I cancel the reserved payment I made (which is of course to Ebay, not directly to the seller), will that go against me for not following the due process with Ebay? I don't mind waiting to do it properly as I am confident my credit card company has my back.
Old 16 October 2021, 04:43 PM   #87
Raj24v
"TRF" Member

Damn, what an adventure!
I never trust Ebay. POS place to do any valuable trading
Raj24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 09:31 PM   #88
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks and it's not unexpected, so I will deal with it.

The seller has now posted a DHL tracking number (I got the Ebay notification at half past midnight) to say it has been shipped, so I guess he is going to send something to a wrong address and then rely on Ebay seeing that he has shipped something that says "delivered" in the system. Basically the same or similar case to this one where an account has been hijacked https://community.ebay.com/t5/My-Acc.../td-p/28344690

Alternatively, I guess I could get a package with a fake watch in it, though this seems less likely as I can then just immediately process a return with the evidence in hand.

Ebay said I need to wait until the last estimated shipping day to raise a case with them but I am wondering if I should wait for that or check if my cc company can reverse the payment because it has not yet actually gone through, it is still "reserved" on my credit card.

The question is, if I cancel the reserved payment I made (which is of course to Ebay, not directly to the seller), will that go against me for not following the due process with Ebay? I don't mind waiting to do it properly as I am confident my credit card company has my back.
Not sure with Ebays process but I was scammed a year ago on what turned out to be a scam website. I went to my credit card company first and that eliminated the problem. The scammer also had a tracking number for my item but clearly I was never going to receive anything plus I had to have a new credit card issued.
Old 16 October 2021, 10:16 PM   #89
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Good luck.

Hope your refund is quick and easy.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 10:45 PM   #90
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Just ordered a used Rolex from Ebay... any risks I am missing?

This thread reminds me of one many years ago - in my early days on TRF. A member received pictures of the watch that he thought he bought on eBay.

Mind you, he was very agitated. Also, he wouldn’t initially share the link to the auction. After the pictures arrived in the mail, he grudgingly posted the link.

In plain view within the description the scammer had stated “auction is for these pictures of the watch for sale” instead of “these pictures are of the watch for sale”.

Of course we’ve come a long way since then - including buyers, sellers and eBay. After a drawn out complaint with eBay, a refund came through.

But two things haven’t changed: “deals that appear to be too good”, and buyers who wish to protect some anonymous eBay seller.

Hope OP gets something in the coming days and subscribing…this could be very interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote