The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 18 October 2021, 12:33 AM   #1
cglondon
"TRF" Member

My ceramic Seamaster bezel insert fell off!

Good afternoon guys.

Just so you understand firstly, I have a good relationship with my Omega boutique. They are as embarrassed about the situation as I am.

I have just arrived back home from a beach holiday to Spain. I decided to take my black Seamaster as my only watch. I figured as my main diver that can also be worn with a nice shirt or t shirt. It ll be more than enough.

While out in the water, my ceramic bezel insert came apart from the bezel. The remaining sealant is still visible on parts on the bezel. I was gutted, as you can imagine. Only watch, dive watch, not being able to use the watch for its sole purpose.

I decided not to take my Explorer as I thought the SMP was more durable. The polished bezel on the Rolex is a nightmare trying to avoid scratches. I don’t baby my watches so didn’t fancy a polished bezel around sand, rocks etc.

I have since got in touch with my boutique and I am taking the watch in tomorrow to be repaired. I am still within manufactures warranty and also have WOS insurance.

Genuinely I’m annoyed that I will be without it now for the next 6 to 8 weeks. The issue has really made me question any future purchases with the brand. I won’t expect that to happen to my SKX, let alone my Seamaster.

So this is a warning for fellow owners. Just be careful taking your Seamaster into open water and if you see any lifting of the bezel insert. Get it fixed before you might have a costly bill replacing a ceramic insert.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cglondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 01:31 AM   #2
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Photos?
Sorry for this unpleasant situation, hope you get it fixed asap
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 01:51 AM   #3
cglondon
"TRF" Member

Hopefully this picture uploads.

Genuinely gutted this has to be sorted.

Old 18 October 2021, 02:11 AM   #4
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

$hit happens

whattimeyougot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 03:57 AM   #5
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Its happens across all luxury brands. It's what they do to remedy the situation, that should be the decisive factor with regards to future purchases.
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 05:12 AM   #6
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001jesper View Post
Its happens across all luxury brands. It's what they do to remedy the situation, that should be the decisive factor with regards to future purchases.
The engineer in me (I am an Engineer) tells me that no matter how rigorously high quality standards are maintained in a manufacturing process, there is always the possibility of spurious component/system failure - or, as Jasper says, these things do (rarely) happen. And it really does all hinge around the manner and effectiveness with which the matter is resolved. I hope cglondon gets a good, prompt, outcome and that their loyalty to the Omega brand is restored.

Stan.
StanGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 05:47 AM   #7
ducatiti
Banned

I don't think there is any glue, most probably grime is what you see. From what I know, it takes a lot of force to remove the bezel itself. I've seen home remedies/tools that can remove the bezel. Again, it takes a lot of grip and force to pry it off.
ducatiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 06:45 AM   #8
cglondon
"TRF" Member

Yes I agree Jesper.

We ll see what Omega say this week.

Luckily I’m still within warranty. Right now, purchasing a Speedmaster is the last thing that’s happening.

Old 18 October 2021, 06:51 AM   #9
cglondon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiti View Post
I don't think there is any glue, most probably grime is what you see. From what I know, it takes a lot of force to remove the bezel itself. I've seen home remedies/tools that can remove the bezel. Again, it takes a lot of grip and force to pry it off.

Hi Ducatiti. It is glue mate. I could peel the remaining bits off. I know what it is cause I put a new bezel insert on my SKX. I know the consistency.

Old 18 October 2021, 06:54 AM   #10
cglondon
"TRF" Member

Just to confirm. It’s the bezel insert that’s come off. Not the unidirectional bezel. That of course will need a fair bit of force to come off. Again, similar to my SKX. You really have to put some force behind it to pop it off.

Old 18 October 2021, 08:30 AM   #11
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglondon View Post
Good afternoon guys.

Just so you understand firstly, I have a good relationship with my Omega boutique. They are as embarrassed about the situation as I am.

I have just arrived back home from a beach holiday to Spain. I decided to take my black Seamaster as my only watch. I figured as my main diver that can also be worn with a nice shirt or t shirt. It ll be more than enough.

While out in the water, my ceramic bezel insert came apart from the bezel. The remaining sealant is still visible on parts on the bezel. I was gutted, as you can imagine. Only watch, dive watch, not being able to use the watch for its sole purpose.

I decided not to take my Explorer as I thought the SMP was more durable. The polished bezel on the Rolex is a nightmare trying to avoid scratches. I don’t baby my watches so didn’t fancy a polished bezel around sand, rocks etc.

I have since got in touch with my boutique and I am taking the watch in tomorrow to be repaired. I am still within manufactures warranty and also have WOS insurance.

Genuinely I’m annoyed that I will be without it now for the next 6 to 8 weeks. The issue has really made me question any future purchases with the brand. I won’t expect that to happen to my SKX, let alone my Seamaster.

So this is a warning for fellow owners. Just be careful taking your Seamaster into open water and if you see any lifting of the bezel insert. Get it fixed before you might have a costly bill replacing a ceramic insert.

Cheers

Shite happens. If you're having second thoughts on the brand over this, you should get off the forums. Similar stuff happens occasionally to all brands, including your Rolex. Suck it up and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 08:40 AM   #12
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

That had to be a very, very rare exception!
Sorry to hear that, hope it didn’t ruin your vacation completely!

I own 3 seamasters for years now and went swimming with them to rivers, lakes and oceans, one at the time of course and have never had any issues.

I know Omega will take care of it because they stands behind their products!
Keep us updated!
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 08:56 PM   #13
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Sorry that it happened. As others have said it is a rare situation but it did occur. Omega will make it right and you will have your watch back. You need to adjust your expectations and understand that while it is no fun to be the one that has an issue, they do occur. Omega is a great brand with good watches and quality control. But things do happen. Let us know what Omega says.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 11:00 PM   #14
Mac-427
"TRF" Member

Plenty examples of problems with all brands including Rolex. Search Rolex problems and you'll see.
Mac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 01:09 AM   #15
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LV
Yep classic example of what people say “Shit happens”. I have had my older SMP with aluminum bezel in the water probably a 1000 times and never encountered this. Like poster above mentioned search for problems for the Crown and you will see.

Old 19 October 2021, 03:48 AM   #16
stockae92
"TRF" Member

The bezel insert falling off is not the worst thing that could happen, but what I would focus on is how Omega would take care of that.

Keep us posted.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 05:02 AM   #17
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I'm sorry you had this happen. In your shoes I would also be hesitant to purchase another piece from the brand. However, as many have pointed out - it does happen to other brands as well.

My fingers are crossed they swiftly rectify this so you can. Get back to enjoying that great watch.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 04:11 AM   #18
cglondon
"TRF" Member

Hi guys.

Yes, I must say firstly. Most of this post was a rant as it was my mistake to only take one watch away with me. My Seamaster has just come back from a Service and some work on the Insurance. New Sapphire glass cause of the micro scratches in the AR coating etc.

So being without a watch I love for another 6 weeks just pee’d me off.

I know QC Issues are happening across ALL brands including Rolex. GMT hands, Daytona pushers breaking off etc.

Omega will sort it when I see them this week. I always receive fantastic customer service from my boutique. I have a white and a black high quality pen from them that I got on my last two visits.

I ll be sure to report back when I visit the boutique.

Cheers.

Old 20 October 2021, 08:44 PM   #19
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Keep us posted.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 06:39 AM   #20
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglondon View Post
it was my mistake to only take one watch away with me.
Don't think you made a mistake. You should be able to bring that watch with you on vacation "worry-free"
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 11:12 AM   #21
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

I know for some warranty issues my Omega AD which I've sent a watch in for service through confirmed those get done as a priority. Whether this is true or not is to be determined, but it makes sense, especially for something as simple as replacing a bezel assembly.

Even easier if all they do is use more adhesive to join the new ceramic insert with the bezel already on there.

For my 2225.80 last year Omega sold me an entire bezel assembly because for those ones they no longer sell the insert by itself. Almost certainly irrelevant to this but my fingers are crossed that they resolve this for you in much less than 6 weeks, somehow.
Old 21 October 2021, 10:09 PM   #22
djtheot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIC
Sorry to see and hear, same thing happened to wifes Chanel J12. She wore it in a hot tub and apparently that caused the glue to melt and insert to fall out. Not sure if you encountered a hot tub or sauna whilst on holiday but it made me think twice about wearing my watches in those environments.
djtheot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 10:47 PM   #23
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtheot View Post
Sorry to see and hear, same thing happened to wifes Chanel J12. She wore it in a hot tub and apparently that caused the glue to melt and insert to fall out. Not sure if you encountered a hot tub or sauna whilst on holiday but it made me think twice about wearing my watches in those environments.
Your AD might have pulled a fast one on you. A hot tub should have no such impact unless you boiled your wife at some point Watch can become more hot on a warm sunny day.
Old 22 October 2021, 05:34 AM   #24
djtheot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
Your AD might have pulled a fast one on you. A hot tub should have no such impact unless you boiled your wife at some point Watch can become more hot on a warm sunny day.

Actually was repaired under warranty and I did not tell the dealer that it had been in the hot tub. It’s just what happened to her watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
djtheot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2021, 02:07 AM   #25
cglondon
"TRF" Member

Hi guys.

Cheers for all the advice on here. I haven’t replied cause I (still am) had a break from social media. I think it’s good to do that every so often. You start to really appreciate the watches you have and not always lusting after something new.

So Omega phoned today. My Seamaster is back in for collection now. Apparently it’s had a “partial” service, new crown and of course a new bezel insert.

Looking forward to picking it up and getting it back on the wrist.

Cheers

Old 16 November 2021, 06:07 AM   #26
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Great news! I'm sure it'll be good this time around. Post some pictures when you can once it's back in your possession.
Old 16 November 2021, 07:07 AM   #27
aayates
"TRF" Member

I had a 2 line sub I bought in 1994/5; after a week of ownership I hit a cube wall gently and the entire bezel came off. I took it back to the AD, and while they exclaimed it never has happened before they replaced the bezel under warranty. I think it was either leverage (it was not a big bump) or a manufacturing defect. However, to their credit it was replaced/repaired free of charge.
aayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 06:24 AM   #28
cglondon
"TRF" Member

Hi guys!

Picked up the Seamaster this week. I had a strange feeling walking to the Boutique though. Like I wasn’t overly excited to be picking it up. I have had this watch for over three years now. It’s the first time I’ve considered maybe my tastes are changing. So I have some hard thinking to do regarding this watch in the near future.

All in all, the guys in the boutique were nice enough. I didn’t have to show any ID as they know I’m a massive watch geek so remember me from previous visits.

The bezel has been replaced as well it seems. Which is nice. The bezel action is much nicer than before. I’m going to wear it religiously for a month now!

Cheers

Old 21 November 2021, 08:16 AM   #29
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

So glad to hear you have the watch back! Hopefully the next month of regular use can replenish your appreciation for the piece. I'm sure the bezel will be fine now.