The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 November 2021, 06:14 AM   #1
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Swapping watches for Ferrari’s?

Not intended to be a value thread at all but while doing my cursory weekly (hourly) cargurus and bring a trailer browsing for Ferrari’s it occurred to me that I could fairly easily turn some of the stupid values of some of my PM watches into something like an F12.

Has anyone recently contemplated doing the same or actually done it? I love my watches a lot and carefully curated my collection but I don’t have enough wrists to wear them all and as much as I enjoy looking at them I’m sure a 730 hp V12 would be alot of fun.

Tldr: take advantage of stupid market to buy stupid car?
AP ROC 26315or; AP RO 15450st; Vacheron Fiftysix; Day Date RG 228235 Olive; Daytona YG 116528; Daytona YG Oysterflex 116518; Cartier Santos de Cartier Rose Gold; Panerai PAM 0048; IWC Portofino Chrono; Girard-Perregaux Richeville
strettyend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 06:25 AM   #2
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
I would do it. 36 Rolexeses is enough for me. 4 Ferraris isn’t.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 06:27 AM   #3
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

If it will make you happy, yes. Life is short, do what makes YOU happy.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 06:44 AM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

It's been done before. Eric Clapton or ???
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 07:01 AM   #5
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I would do it. 36 Rolexeses is enough for me. 4 Ferraris isn’t.

250 GTO for #5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
If it will make you happy, yes. Life is short, do what makes YOU happy.

This is the question…which will make me happier…

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
It's been done before. Eric Clapton or ???

Yes but one of his Patek’s can get you many Ferrari’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AP ROC 26315or; AP RO 15450st; Vacheron Fiftysix; Day Date RG 228235 Olive; Daytona YG 116528; Daytona YG Oysterflex 116518; Cartier Santos de Cartier Rose Gold; Panerai PAM 0048; IWC Portofino Chrono; Girard-Perregaux Richeville
Old 17 November 2021, 07:01 AM   #6
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by strettyend View Post
250 GTO for #5?

This is the question…which will make me happier…

Yes but one of his Patek’s can get you many Ferrari’s!

Excellent choice.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 07:44 AM   #7
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
I can assure you that if you in the slightest a car guy, the swap would be the best thing you have ever done....nothing like a monster V12 Ferrari, it would blow your mind in ways that a watch or multiple watches cannot do....its all about the emotions those cars are designed for.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 08:08 AM   #8
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
I can assure you that if you in the slightest a car guy, the swap would be the best thing you have ever done....nothing like a monster V12 Ferrari, it would blow your mind in ways that a watch or multiple watches cannot do....its all about the emotions those cars are designed for.

If this helps to put it into context - I learned how to read from the car magazines my father would bring back from airports after his business trips. He ended up getting me subscriptions to MT, C&D, R&T and Automobile and at one point I had amassed a collection of over 1,000 magazines. I memorized every 0-60, 1/4 mile, Braking, slalom and MSRP that I could. Cars are my undisputed #1 passion for as long as I can remember anything and the fire has never stopped burning.

I currently have a 991 GT3 in a paint to sample color, and while for a car guy like me a Ferrari is the pinnacle, I can’t bring myself to ever sell this car and adding an F car on top of everything else feels wholly irresponsible.

So that brings me to my random musing today…
Old 17 November 2021, 08:15 AM   #9
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

To have the option would be a dream for me. To make the decision, a nightmare! But, the Ferrari would win.
Old 17 November 2021, 08:41 AM   #10
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
To have the option would be a dream for me. To make the decision, a nightmare! But, the Ferrari would win.
I hear you. It wouldn't be an option if the watch market wasn't out of its mind
Old 17 November 2021, 09:04 AM   #11
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

I like the idea, which watches would you keep?
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 09:22 AM   #12
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanproject View Post
I like the idea, which watches would you keep?

Probably the RG DD40 olive since I got married in that and a YG Daytona.

Would probably sell the rose gold royal oak chrono, one of the other Daytona’s, maybe steel royal oak, and a Vacheron and Cartier to form the bulk of the proceeds and just fund the rest out of pocket. Ugh I hate when my mind wanders…
Old 17 November 2021, 09:30 AM   #13
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
If this helps to put it into context - I learned how to read from the car magazines my father would bring back from airports after his business trips. He ended up getting me subscriptions to MT, C&D, R&T and Automobile and at one point I had amassed a collection of over 1,000 magazines. I memorized every 0-60, 1/4 mile, Braking, slalom and MSRP that I could. Cars are my undisputed #1 passion for as long as I can remember anything and the fire has never stopped burning.

I currently have a 991 GT3 in a paint to sample color, and while for a car guy like me a Ferrari is the pinnacle, I can’t bring myself to ever sell this car and adding an F car on top of everything else feels wholly irresponsible.

So that brings me to my random musing today…

Haha, sounds like we both grew up with the same passion…I too knew all specs of all cars and trucks! I was and still am a true fanatic like yourself.

You are getting yourself an incredible P car…it’s as good as it gets and I can’t wait to see the pics of it…post pics of your build and spec please!

1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 09:36 AM   #14
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Haha, sounds like we both grew up with the same passion…I too knew all specs of all cars and trucks! I was and still am a true fanatic like yourself.

You are getting yourself an incredible P car…it’s as good as it gets and I can’t wait to see the pics of it…post pics of your build and spec please!

Oh I already have the P car and the F12 would be preowned so as to not be at the top of the depreciation curve.
Old 17 November 2021, 09:37 AM   #15
agsstructures
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Probably the RG DD40 olive since I got married in that and a YG Daytona.

Would probably sell the rose gold royal oak chrono, one of the other Daytona’s, maybe steel royal oak, and a Vacheron and Cartier to form the bulk of the proceeds and just fund the rest out of pocket. Ugh I hate when my mind wanders…
I would do it in a heartbeat. Seems like you can keep 2 beautiful pieces, the Porsche and add a Ferrari?? No brainer to me bud.

Either way good luck!
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 09:55 AM   #16
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

QUESTION: For those wanting the Ferrari or whatever car, how many of you have / would increase you driving skills while tracking the car? Increase your skill while taking the car near the limits on a proper road course track.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 09:59 AM   #17
strettyend
"TRF" Member

I have done the BMW M driving school and tracked GT3's multiple times. I am by no means a pro but am somewhere above novice level. Probably would not track an F12
Old 17 November 2021, 10:58 AM   #18
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Of course go for it. Then post pics please!
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 11:00 AM   #19
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
why not? i mean i wouldnt do it but it isnt my style.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 11:10 AM   #20
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I would do it for the right 911 turbo. If Ferrari is your thing, why not! You can always sell it and buy back watches later on if you miss them.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 01:31 PM   #21
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

In classic TRF form, my advice is add both.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 01:48 PM   #22
Ballzzz

Do it yesterday!
Old 17 November 2021, 01:51 PM   #23
JParm

Watch: Yes!
Ask me this a few months back and I'd tell you you're crazy (I was born a watch guy).

Now after owning a Corvette for a couple months, I'd say go for it. The visceral feeling that others have described is now something that I can understand to a degree, so if cars are your passion, then I think it's the right choice for you.

Being a watch guy first, though, I'll say this - I'd have a hard time getting rid of any watches to add a car!

Last edited by JParm; 17 November 2021 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: Spelling
JParm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 02:04 PM   #24
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
I would do it, especially with what you had mentioned you are keeping. If you can have those 2 great watches and a nice Ferrari why not.

I love watches, but really you just need one and you tend to appreciate them more with less of them if that makes any sense.

I had a similar love and interest of cars in childhood I can definitely relate to from your story. I could still probably blurt off random statistics from cars of that era. I’m nowhere near Ferrari status personally, but have my Maserati I love. If I had the means to make it an option though, like you said to hit that pinnacle would be amazing and almost too much, but you only live once get it and appreciate it and the watches you have.
Old 17 November 2021, 02:09 PM   #25
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Definitely something I will have to noodle over. I love every single one of my watches - it’s why I bought them. Never for the hype or the investment, hell every single watch I own was acquired for less than MSRP at a time when no one else really wanted them.

But sometimes if the market is willing to pay you what in my mind are crazy prices, maybe I should listen and try out something new.

I guess the point of this thread was to see if anyone had decided to take advantage of the overheated market to divert funds into another passion?

I’ll try to look at a couple local examples this weekend. Anyone have experience with an F12?
Old 17 November 2021, 02:22 PM   #26
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
It sounds like this is something your heart desires. I would go for it!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 02:48 PM   #27
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Absolutely.

I love watches - but when they start approaching car $$$ then it's engines and wheels all the way.

F12's are wonderful wonderful cars. I have a V12 Ferrari myself and it's truly like nothing else out there. Simply amazing.
Old 17 November 2021, 09:44 PM   #28
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Watches vs cars, that is a tough one. I tend to add rather than replace. The problem with cars for me is finding storage, and the hassle of juggling them around since I don't have a huge driveway. I also found out that swapping cars on and off a lift is also not as easy as I originally thought.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 09:47 PM   #29
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I like to trade to buy. Hate digging into savings.

I have the last Aventador ever, the last lambo V12 ever, en route.

I’ll certainly be selling stuff to offset the cost. For sure watches will be some of that stuff.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 09:54 PM   #30
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyim View Post
Watches vs cars, that is a tough one. I tend to add rather than replace. The problem with cars for me is finding storage, and the hassle of juggling them around since I don't have a huge driveway. I also found out that swapping cars on and off a lift is also not as easy as I originally thought.

All great points to think about. The expenses with a car don’t stop at the point of acquisition - insurance, maintenance, consumables, and high transaction costs all have to be factored into the TCO. And you are right, it’s much easier to park and swap watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I like to trade to buy. Hate digging into savings.

I have the last Aventador ever, the last lambo V12 ever, en route.

I’ll certainly be selling stuff to offset the cost. For sure watches will be some of that stuff.

Generally on the same page. The thought process here is converting some things that appreciated that I never expected to appreciate into another hobby. When is the LP780 coming?!