The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 November 2021, 01:00 PM   #31
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
What is jewelry level finishing? And where do you have that on a RO in a way that no other watch has? Yes, the brushed and polished case details are very finely executed and the movement has an ok finish that's even pretty good considering it's largely a machine job. But make no mistake, a movement finished to the level of an AP base movement would never get something like a Geneva seal, even if it were made in Geneva.

So whether that jewelry level finish is truly better than every other watch I really don't know. You may want to go look at a few more of these Pateks, or a Lange, or a Vacheron, and that's before you move into the independents. The great thing with AP is the simplicity and boldness in the RO design. It is less soft than equivalent Pateks (Nautilus and Aquanaut) and less convoluted than equivalent Vacherons or Langes (really just the Overseas and the Odysseus). It is suited to being both the most elegant of the bunch (in a perpetual calendar variant or the classic Jumbo) and the most casual (in something like the ROO). In addition to arguably being the best of these 70ies designs, the AP is also the original. Even the Nautilus is slightly derivative by comparison. So the RO is just a cool watch, no matter how its made or how big its movement is. It's the RO and if you want that, that's what you have to get. There is no substitute.
Thanks for letting me expand on the “jewelry level finish” comment, I frankly made up that terminology.

So by no means do I think that AP has the “best” finishing. I completely agree that a lot of manufacturers have finishing that are better or equivalent to AP. One of the things I love about the Patek 6119R I have is that wonderful new movement with exhibition caseback, and man is it finished well. Even when you look at a Grand Seiko and the Zaratsu polishing they do, that mirror level distortion free polish is better than what I see on almost all other watches, AP included.

By “jewelry level finish”, I was implying to mean that the combination of the finish and design make the watch literally look like jewelry. Its kind of like the fluted bezel on a Rolex - that aspect of the watch makes it look like jewelry. But when you look at the combination of design and finish of the overall watch, I don’t see anything that comes close to what an AP RO with bracelet looks like. The way the light reflects and hits the bracelet and case on an AP RO when you just slightly tilt your wrist is incredible. Like jewelry. You certainly do not get the same feeling when looking at a Sub (which by the way it’s not the intention, I mean it’s still marketed as a tool watch that’s in reality is getting closer to jewelry). The Day-Date gets close, but I’d still put AP above it in this category.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2021, 05:50 PM   #32
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
Thanks for letting me expand on the “jewelry level finish” comment, I frankly made up that terminology.

So by no means do I think that AP has the “best” finishing. I completely agree that a lot of manufacturers have finishing that are better or equivalent to AP. One of the things I love about the Patek 6119R I have is that wonderful new movement with exhibition caseback, and man is it finished well. Even when you look at a Grand Seiko and the Zaratsu polishing they do, that mirror level distortion free polish is better than what I see on almost all other watches, AP included.

By “jewelry level finish”, I was implying to mean that the combination of the finish and design make the watch literally look like jewelry. Its kind of like the fluted bezel on a Rolex - that aspect of the watch makes it look like jewelry. But when you look at the combination of design and finish of the overall watch, I don’t see anything that comes close to what an AP RO with bracelet looks like. The way the light reflects and hits the bracelet and case on an AP RO when you just slightly tilt your wrist is incredible. Like jewelry. You certainly do not get the same feeling when looking at a Sub (which by the way it’s not the intention, I mean it’s still marketed as a tool watch that’s in reality is getting closer to jewelry). The Day-Date gets close, but I’d still put AP above it in this category.
Yeah, the design really makes a unique and distinctive use of the contrast between brushed and polished. I really like that as well.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 08:50 AM   #33
djnick
"TRF" Member

This is exactly why I sold my 15500 after a year of ownership. Even at list price purchase for a steel sports model it did not justify the price for me for the movement and level of finishing compared to other 23k watches on the market. Obviously to each their own
djnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 09:21 AM   #34
911AP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnick View Post
This is exactly why I sold my 15500 after a year of ownership. Even at list price purchase for a steel sports model it did not justify the price for me for the movement and level of finishing compared to other 23k watches on the market. Obviously to each their own
Huh? at 21k it's totally worth it. You can't touch a steel watch that has the presence of the RO at under 20k.

Nothing reflects light and catches the eye like the RO bracelet.
911AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 11:44 AM   #35
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Even at list price purchase for a steel sports model it did not justify the price for me for the movement and level of finishing compared to other 23k watches on the market.
Curious which ones that would be, in particular in the "sports watch on bracelet" category.
VogelPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 01:31 PM   #36
djnick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911AP View Post
Huh? at 21k it's totally worth it. You can't touch a steel watch that has the presence of the RO at under 20k.

Nothing reflects light and catches the eye like the RO bracelet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Curious which ones that would be, in particular in the "sports watch on bracelet" category.

4500v comes to mind instantly. Better movement finish, swappable strap system, micro adjustment on the bracelet, 150 meter wr etc

I'm personally moving away from steel sports into some dress and rubber pieces
djnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 05:00 AM   #37
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
4500v comes to mind instantly. Better movement finish, swappable strap system, micro adjustment on the bracelet, 150 meter wr etc
Fair enough - for me the dial, case and bracelet finish and overall design of the 15500 more than make up for that. Slightly thinner as well.
VogelPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote