The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 November 2021, 12:33 PM   #1
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

The Metaverse Question

So the Metaverse is to be the next level of experiencing the internet and all it's glory. Extended, augmented and virtual reality are to enhance experiences across the board in just about every way possible. Digital land is being sold, more corporations/brands are investing into it, virtual stores, galleries, "hang out" spaces, meeting rooms are opening and so on.
Fast forward several years. If we end up in a Ready Player One type world/lifestyle and continually live more in the virtual world than the real one (whether we already DO is a separate debate on it's own) would then owning a bunch of expensive art or jewelry or watches in real life be as appealing?
If we end up spending more time in this new virtual world for business , social gatherings, leisure or otherwise and it becomes the place where we end up presenting ourselves and meeting others for those same reasons, our virtual appearances and belongings will start to also matter more. I'm sure forward thinking brands will make sure to be there ready for us to buy up their virtual goods or NFT's along the way. Flexing on social media is already a thing so I think it's safe to assume it could just go next level in the Metaverse. So this brings us to the specific esoteric question... in this perceived Metaverse how many of us will still find it necessary to own Rolex(es)?

We all have our own reasons why we have/wear our Rolexes and that can be very personal and amazing or even superficial. But it's interesting to think where this all may go in the near future due to technology and how we choose to live our lives in an ever growing and evolving virtual world. A whole new economy is brewing and it's doesn't involve things we can touch.
Kniazukay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 12:36 PM   #2
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

As long as I have a wrist there will be a Rolex on it.

Watches are only for my own enjoyment, it has never mattered to me whether other people see them or not, in fact I prefer that they don’t. Anyway, mechanical watches were obsolete long ago, and yet we still love them.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 12:37 PM   #3
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
I don't think the Metaverse will affect assets like real-estate and luxury goods. You still need to live inside a real home to survive right? You still need to go out to restaurants to eat food, and leave the house to travel etc? So people will still want to wear the nice watch when they do that.

The metaverse doesn't mean we're instantly living in a reboot world that's not how it works.

NFT's will also exist to tokenize the physical real world, it's not just for the virtual world.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 12:40 PM   #4
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I wonder if Rolex will start selling virtual watches only to be worn virtually in the metaverse life?

We already have 1000s of fake aficionados on social media, starting with the other meta sidekick Instagram

Sad.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 12:41 PM   #5
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
The concept may have business potential but cannot replace life. Unless they put in some addiction variable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 12:48 PM   #6
Recondope
"TRF" Member

I don't know about others but speaking for myself, I will continue to own physical goods that I can touch and feel like my watches. I cannot imagine some digital "item" bringing the same amount of enjoyment. I don't get the NFT thing. It's above my comprehension / intelligence level I suppose. Than again, I am old school and dislike much of the current social media platforms and could absolutely care less about "flexing."
Recondope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 12:55 PM   #7
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
The concept may have business potential but cannot replace life. Unless they put in some addiction variable
Of course! Nothing can really replace "real life"... We still need to eat, have shelter, some may even reproduce, etc. However the addictive variable is there... think about how often people use the internet/social media/zoom/email,amazon, gaming/ checking stocks/crypto/banking etc currently. If the metaverse is a more realistic evolution of that I don't see the amount of time using the internet being any less than now.
For many of us, we have a great memory of what life was like without the internet. Now look at today. How much time does the average person spend on the internet? Especially Millenials and younger? more than we'd like to admit I would think. It can definitely come down to generational mindset.
Kniazukay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 02:00 PM   #8
Koolpep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller TT Jub
The Metaverse Question

I was born in 1972. When my Dad bought his first pocket calculator and I was allowed to play with it, it was magic. The first landline telephone with a loudspeaker, the first answering machine. 24 hour television programs, video games (pong, then Atari), home computers, mobile phones, PCs, emails, online chats, touch screens.

That I now can talk to my phone or computer, say call xyz and have a handsfree conversation- man that stuff was science fiction when I grew up.

Metaverse, bring it on. But I fear this will equally turn out like in the science fiction movies, a bit like the matrix. People will let their physical bodies rot, why bother, you put on your glasses and everything is shiny, you have super powers, you are beautiful in the world that “matters” = the metaverse.

And meta, like on Facebook, has a very strong interest to keep you online for as long as possible and spend as much money as possible inside the metaverse.

Of course, there will be some rules in the metaverse, copyright even. So, only if you paid real bucks you will be wearing a real virtual Rolex in the virtual world to virtually flex.

Also, who will police the metaverse. Cyber bullying, crime, blackmailing, taxes, which laws apply where? It’s going to be interesting.

I love to try new technology and when second life was a thing, I tried that out. I can see how a way better version of this can hook people. And they will spend money on their avatars, virtual real estate and house decoration. As silly as this sounds.

On the other hand, Dubai Air Show just happened, 100,000 people attended, people loooong for real interactions with real people in the real world.

Maybe that metaverse will be a William Gibson Mona Lisa Overdrive, Neuromancer future…. I wouldn’t be surprised.

Back to NFT Rolex, yes, that will happen, maybe it won’t be Rolex but there will be wrist-fashion in the metaverse for sure.
Koolpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 02:12 PM   #9
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kniazukay View Post
live more in the virtual world than the real one
Average 6 hours per day on social media already ,see peoples IQs drop further .....

The pancake man ...the personality spread across the internet (and metaverse) like a pancake .Thin,with no real substance .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 02:41 PM   #10
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
Here's a scary thought. Whatever bs exclusivity games happen in the real world, will happen in the metaverse as well. Humans will be humans whether in the real world or metaverse.
mquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 02:54 PM   #11
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I’m sure that world will be very successful once it’s up and running and all the kinks are worked out. While everyone is stuck living in the meta verse, maybe it will give the real world a chance to recover.

Meanwhile, I’ll stay unplugged and wear a physically tangible Rolex and enjoy the real world.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 03:10 PM   #12
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Wait, I thought we were already living in the Matrix for the last 20 years, you're saying it's all been real?
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 08:01 PM   #13
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I’m a Technology Executive, so this isn’t coming from someone unwilling to accept or adopt new technologies. The Metaverse isn’t nearly as transformational as people make it out to be. People will still attend parties, go to the beach, eat at restaurants, go clubbing, go to the office, attend weddings, and socialize as they always have.

You still need to wear clothes (of course), get haircuts, go the dentist, etc. There will still be demand for jewelry including luxury wrist watches, and other material positions.

I see very little to no impact to the luxury watch market. I think luxury watch makers like Rolex will continue to harness the latest technologies to market their products, but other than that, I see no material impact at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 09:34 PM   #14
Andy0331
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
Guaranteed they will do that. I haven't read any deep details on it, but just getting the very broad strokes, it sounds like the culmination of social media mixed with gaming; similar to an MMORPG (Everquest, World of Warcraft, etc.). Both are already highly addictive and at their worst have the participants largely ignoring real life. At the extreme, it's online escapism for people to avoid real life.

Companies will monetize it & suck people in for profit. I refuse to participate; I've reached my limit with social media and won't download or use any new varieties. I believe that "forums", such as TRF, were the high water mark of "social media", allowing for actual conversations & continued discourse over time. Forums are largely dead, as today's attention span lasts as long as a picture or video stays at the top of someone's feed, or maybe only 140 characters worth of "wisdom".

I fear for modern humanity.
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 10:39 PM   #15
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Can you imagine if Rolex were to start selling virtual watches for your online avatar? Only available to people who bought a real watch from an AD, not to diminish exclusivity, ha!

On a serious note though, I see no impact on luxury goods.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 10:49 PM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
As long as I have a wrist there will be a Rolex on it.

Watches are only for my own enjoyment, it has never mattered to me whether other people see them or not, in fact I prefer that they don’t. Anyway, mechanical watches were obsolete long ago, and yet we still love them.
Exactly where I land on this Dave

Quartz crisis, Apple Watch, and now this … I’ll always be a mechanical watch guy.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 11:17 PM   #17
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kniazukay View Post
So this brings us to the specific esoteric question... in this perceived Metaverse how many of us will still find it necessary to own Rolex(es)?
You are asking if I want to wear a mechanical watch because of a website?

The answer is yes
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 11:33 PM   #18
77T

The Metaverse Question

Wait…a metaverse (herein MV) could create reduced demand for real SWISS watches?

Then each collector might pay for 10 perfect strangers’ subscription fees. Much cheaper than the inflated secondary market prices.

But seriously…

The broader impact on other tangible segments of the global markets? So much will hinge on the uptake rate + any unintended consequences. That uncertainty is already fueling fear mongers and hyperbole.

If the uptake rate exceeds FB penetration, and marketers of the MV use an STP model on the as-yet unborn user segments, the power of transformation could be great.

Yes, one still needs to have a dwelling - but will it be a single-family, detached and individually owned, structure on a plot of real estate? Or a 300 sq.ft. hovel carved from rented shipping container?

Energy production and distribution shifts could be great (any work on real world roles would be in MV, not an office, not even a hovel office).

Consumer staples and durables segments could be impacted. The 21st Century version of Soylent Green comes to mind.

The impact in upstream value systems, combined with the unintended impact on downstream social spheres, could be greater than the Covid-19 pandemic.

Some will come through stronger, some will be broken. I see Rolex lowering prices…well, I can dream right?

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2021, 03:24 AM   #19
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
We already live in a simulation:

All computers leave a trace of their existence in a simulation, which is maximum processor speed.

The speed of light in our universe is the maximum processor speed for the simulation of our universe.

In our case, in operations per second, it is 300,000km/s, where 300,000km is the memory container size, or the maximum amount of space that can be acted upon in a second.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk
ROlesorusLEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2021, 12:40 PM   #20
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Wait, I thought we were already living in the Matrix for the last 20 years, you're saying it's all been real?

Rick and Morty car battery microverse vibes.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2021, 09:57 PM   #21
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Computer folks think computers, interweb, and now metaverse is the answer to everything. Problem is as technology has risen we are more divided and miserable than ever. Reality is despite what tech people like to say, no better off than we were in say 1984. People are not doing well being increasingly isolated from the real world and we were not evolved to be that way. Now that may change, but it will take a long while for us to adapt to that. And to some degree, the technology that has made things more convenient means we are also more stressed. Little to no net gain and some significant loss. If the purpose of tech is to improve things, we going in the opposite direction and they can can it.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 12:27 AM   #22
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
What's Metaverse?
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 01:06 AM   #23
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
This metaverse/digital world is BS derived by those like Zuckerberg to distract the masses from real word assets/wealth and to monetize your personal info. Meanwhile you'll see those billionaires scooping up those very physical assets on the cheap and selling info to whomever willing to pay. Some of these billionaires are out of control with their egos and god complexes.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 04:10 PM   #24
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages

met·a·verse
/ˈmedəˌvərs/

a virtual-reality space in which users can pay real world prices for items that only their computer-generated self can use. Also see bit coin.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2021, 03:40 AM   #25
Mifune
Banned

Facebook changed their name to meta NOT because of the metaverse play... though they will offer that vehicle as a form of pacification.

They changed their name to meta because of the harvesting of all the 'Meta Data' that is going to be available in this modern society as we move forward into the future.

Meta Data is, and will be, instrumental in monetizing and controlling individuals and their 'freedoms'.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 12:42 AM   #26
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
Facebook changed their name to meta NOT because of the metaverse play... though they will offer that vehicle as a form of pacification.

They changed their name to meta because of the harvesting of all the 'Meta Data' that is going to be available in this modern society as we move forward into the future.

Meta Data is, and will be, instrumental in monetizing and controlling individuals and their 'freedoms'.
100%
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 09:11 AM   #27
greeneyedguy
Banned

I think people will still use watches and I bought a bunch of decentraland a few months ago that will one day afford me any Rolex I wish.
greeneyedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 10:09 AM   #28
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyedguy View Post
I think people will still use watches and I bought a bunch of decentraland a few months ago that will one day afford me any Rolex I wish.

I’ve never heard of this “decentraland”. Just looked it up and I’m curious. How much Mana does it take to buy a parcel?

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 10:38 AM   #29
MikeMWatchFan
"TRF" Member

I reject the metaverse. I’m pretty close to deleting Facebook. Anyone else delete Facebook? What’s life like without it?

I can’t stand Zuckerberg and the desire for us all to live further in a virtual world. I already work from home and am on a screen all day. My wife and I talk everyday about how we need less screen time and need to be present in the moment in reality much more.

I will own Rolex watches and manual transmission cars until I’m dead. Screw apple watches, EVs, and the metaverse.
MikeMWatchFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 10:54 AM   #30
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
The Metaverse Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMWatchFan View Post
I reject the metaverse. I’m pretty close to deleting Facebook. Anyone else delete Facebook? What’s life like without it?

I can’t stand Zuckerberg and the desire for us all to live further in a virtual world. I already work from home and am on a screen all day. My wife and I talk everyday about how we need less screen time and need to be present in the moment in reality much more.

I will own Rolex watches and manual transmission cars until I’m dead. Screw apple watches, EVs, and the metaverse.

Lol, I deleted FB and the other social media platforms like 7 yrs ago. Life is great without it. Initially you find yourself trying to go back on out of habit but that’s gone within a week. Best digital decision I’ve ever made, don’t understand why anyone over 30 is even on it. If there is people I want to talk to I reach out to them, I don’t need to be in tune with everything they do as they don’t need to know everything I do either.

My old lady has yet to dump it but she realizes she’s sat on the couch and wasted an hour going down some rabbit hole that turns out to either be BS or piss her off and she always gets done with that hour feeling worse than when she started.

My only social media now is TRF and if it gets to the point it’s as invasive and toxic as the rest then it will get deleted too.

However, if there’s money to be made in this decentraland I’m not opposed to making money. Buy some digital crap and hold it for a while until/if it goes up in value and cash the check.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product lo
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote