The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 7 February 2009, 11:48 AM   #1
karwath
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 white
Grand Seiko SBGR029 or Aqua Terra Mid-Size

I have been giving serious consideration to these two watches, and had all but decided on the GS.

However, the new version of the AT now has me thinking twice.

I think they are very comparable watches from a fitting a niche needed in my collection standpoint. I'd love to hear what people on this forum have to say, as I have always found this to be the best watch forum.

The purchase will not occur for a few months (I have a "healthy lifestyle" milestone I decided would be awarded with one of these watches, and it will be this summer most likely before I am off the smokes a sufficient period of time and have lost some unneeded weight). So I thought in the mean time I could benefit from a little input from others.

Grand Seiko SBGR029

I have almost as many Seikos as Omegas in my collection, but no GS.

The GS has a certain "stealthy" aspect to it, which I like.

The crown guards appeal to me as primarly a sport watch owner, and that slightly blue-tinted dial has always caugt my eye (although I have not seen one in person, and likely will not unless i pull the trigger, so it might not be as alluring in person).

The one thing about higher end JDM Seikos I have found lacking is the bracelet. I am concerned the GS bracelet might not be as nice as one might hope for a watch of this price.

Aqua-Terra Mid-Size

I really like the grey-teck dial on the new version of the AT.

The new version has a framed date window, the lack of which was a real problem for me with the previous AT style (funny how the smallest design element can make or break the watch for some of us).

I have been pleased with all of my Omegas. However, having a current model DeVille GMT, a Speedy, a vintage Connie, and many vintage Seamasters, I am thinking another Omega might not be as special/unique as a GS.

I was trying to convince myself to get a datejust instead of either, but at 36mm, it is just too small. Both the GS and the mid-size AT are around 38-39mm, which I think is just what I need/want.
karwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2022, 03:04 AM   #2
karwath
"TRF" Member

It took a little longer than I expected (13 years) to decide which one to go with, but I recently decided to pick up the SBGR029.

Old 31 January 2022, 05:10 AM   #3
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
No one has ever accused you of procrastination, have they?Nice watch, great choice. Wear it in good health!
Old 1 February 2022, 02:08 AM   #4
Oryz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
lmao looks wonderful, congrats on the pickup and closing the loop here.
Oryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 04:26 AM   #5
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
The greatest “circle back” in forum history. I think Omega is on a third or fourth subsequent version of the AT since your original post. Congratulations on a great watch.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 06:48 AM   #6
karwath
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-710 View Post
The greatest “circle back” in forum history. I think Omega is on a third or fourth subsequent version of the AT since your original post. Congratulations on a great watch.
I waited and waited, and could not decide, and then eventually Rolex came out with the DJ41 and so I went with that, and as a result, the AT was really not an option, so the SBGR029 won by default!

Also, I was keeping my eyes open for a well-priced complete set, including all of the bracelet links. That took some time.
Old 1 February 2022, 12:50 PM   #7
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by karwath View Post
I waited and waited, and could not decide, and then eventually Rolex came out with the DJ41 and so I went with that, and as a result, the AT was really not an option, so the SBGR029 won by default!

Also, I was keeping my eyes open for a well-priced complete set, including all of the bracelet links. That took some time.
Believe me I understand and I know all about it. I’ve bought exactly one watch in the last five years. It took me ten years to settle on that one. Which had been discontinued and brought back in the time it took me to decide and buy the watch. And the model I bought is now no longer in production!
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote