The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Do you like the Nautilus 40th Pieces now real pictures have been posted?
Yes 83 42.78%
No 80 41.24%
Need to see them for myself 31 15.98%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 November 2016, 09:57 PM   #91
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingTheBlues View Post
Not to change the subject but tell me, does AP have some application pieces in their collection?
You can have 01/01 pieces made by AP yes...it will cost 7 figures, but yes
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2016, 10:23 PM   #92
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Did anyone happen to see Eric Ku's post on Instagram yesterday (fumanku is his IG name)? He had a customized AP and the rotor literally was in the shape of his name. It was insane!

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2016, 10:29 PM   #93
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
It is a great question. Yes they go above and beyond in many ways like of course accessing difficult pieces, special customisation on certain pieces, events, dinners, tours, participation in research etc.. there are other things as well but you just really feel like you are always treated as a real VIP. My problem is that I simply don't have the time to do everything that is on offer!

And from Patek - zilch!
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2016, 10:45 PM   #94
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post

And from Patek - zilch!
Come on Roger, Patek did allow you the high honor and distinction of submitting the request.
Old 4 November 2016, 11:01 PM   #95
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
It is a great question. Yes they go above and beyond in many ways like of course accessing difficult pieces, special customisation on certain pieces, events, dinners, tours, participation in research etc.. there are other things as well but you just really feel like you are always treated as a real VIP. My problem is that I simply don't have the time to do everything that is on offer!

And from Patek - zilch!
Speaks volumes, Roger, doesn’t it?
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2016, 11:12 PM   #96
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

And from Patek - zilch!
Ferrari - McLaren comparison?
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2016, 11:24 PM   #97
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Yes RM have been pretty good to me. Life would be dull with only one brand in the collection so AP and RM it is, and possibly one nice totally illegible Lange!

Right who wants to buy some cheap Pateks - I want shot of them!
$100k take them all....
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2016, 10:59 AM   #98
ARNON
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Can someone post a side-by-side of the original 5711p & Anniv. 5711p - many thanks

Nt
Old 5 November 2016, 12:01 PM   #99
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes RM have been pretty good to me. Life would be dull with only one brand in the collection so AP and RM it is, and possibly one nice totally illegible Lange!

Right who wants to buy some cheap Pateks - I want shot of them!

Roger,

I by no means have the collecting longevity nor investment that you do into Patek.

Regardless I too have decided to move my business elsewhere.

I intend to keep a few of the "low end" Patek pieces I have, but I would much rather build relationships with AP and RM. I feel this way personally based on QC, reliability, and respect from the ADs I have delt with with the other brands.

I couldn't imagine how you feel seeing the dollars you have spent.

JPS
Old 5 November 2016, 12:34 PM   #100
conkers
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the comments everyone and I am sorry if I have derailed the thread. I don't really what to send a message that I feel some sense of entitlement, which I don't particularly, just because I have spent a lot of money with Patek, but it is a simple case of other companies making much more of an effort with me and providing a far friendlier, enjoyable and much less frustrating ownership experience, with much better and transparent lines of communication and none of the BS smoke and mirrors behind which Patek seem to enjoy hiding, as well as moving the goalposts and changing policy for different regions.
Old 5 November 2016, 04:29 PM   #101
KarlS
Banned

@Roger I would feel the same as you and move on. Have you at least asked the AD? Personally I think the allocations should have gone first to those with multiple Nautilus watches (reward them for their loyalty) and then work down the chain.
Old 5 November 2016, 08:01 PM   #102
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Thanks for the comments everyone and I am sorry if I have derailed the thread. I don't really what to send a message that I feel some sense of entitlement, which I don't particularly, just because I have spent a lot of money with Patek, but it is a simple case of other companies making much more of an effort with me and providing a far friendlier, enjoyable and much less frustrating ownership experience, with much better and transparent lines of communication and none of the BS smoke and mirrors behind which Patek seem to enjoy hiding, as well as moving the goalposts and changing policy for different regions.
Roger, if I was in your position I would feel exactly the same and would be liquidating my collection. For the amount you have spent with Patek you should have been able to choose whichever anniversary Nautilus you wanted. I don't think it's a case that Patek don't value you as a customer, it's not personal, but that they don't know you. If they did they would know what a serious collector you are, and I'm sure you would get much better treatment.

Because Patek don't know you the only things they have to go on are their records of which Pateks you have owned and have now sold. You had a collection of Patek grails a couple of years ago that you sold, so maybe it appears to Patek that you are dealing in them. You do have a relationship with your AD and I feel they have let you down badly. I would be having a strong conversation with them.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2016, 08:28 PM   #103
KarlS
Banned

@RussW I have to agree. The U.K. More so than the rest of the world tries hard to prevent the flippers. Hence the more draconian rumours of holding onto papers and wanting to meet the end buyers. Personally I prefer this allocation method as if you allocate to the dealer then he gives it to his "pals" in many cases to help them make a quick buck whether they be PP fans or not!! I think LE's should go only to existing PP owners and those who have a track record of not speculating with LE's....the rest of the world doesn't care and hence why I suggested to Roger the USA but in the UK Rhone would definately care. I was strongly advised to meet with Rhone for my 5930 as they liked to see who was getting the watches and it's not a silly interview but helps the face to a name and certainly allowed me to get a fairly early release....
Old 5 November 2016, 08:48 PM   #104
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Quote:
I did not know about the 01/01 pieces, that is quite impressive indeed.

As for the cost, do I look like the kind of man for whom price is an issue?

...Okay, it is, but I am practicing for the day it will not be an issue anymore.

Quote:

And from Patek - zilch!
Sounds good (and bad on Patek's part), I get that you don't want to feel entitled but it does say a lot about them. I think there's quite a big gap between getting a sense of entitlement and simply get some recognition for being loyal as a customer.

Quote:
Come on Roger, Patek did allow you the high honor and distinction of submitting the request.
Now that is funny.
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2016, 08:51 PM   #105
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
@RussW I have to agree. The U.K. More so than the rest of the world tries hard to prevent the flippers. Hence the more draconian rumours of holding onto papers and wanting to meet the end buyers. Personally I prefer this allocation method as if you allocate to the dealer then he gives it to his "pals" in many cases to help them make a quick buck whether they be PP fans or not!! I think LE's should go only to existing PP owners and those who have a track record of not speculating with LE's....the rest of the world doesn't care and hence why I suggested to Roger the USA but in the UK Rhone would definately care. I was strongly advised to meet with Rhone for my 5930 as they liked to see who was getting the watches and it's not a silly interview but helps the face to a name and certainly allowed me to get a fairly early release....
Spot on Karl. Rhone are leading the way with a strong and deliberate policy in the UK. With regard to 40th Nautilus they were clear with AD's, a timetable was given for submission of names and criteria for their allocation choice suggested.

I understand AD's (provincial dealers for sure) were initially allocated one of each piece. If an AD submitted more names then clearly there would be disappointed clients.

I have to say I don't understand why not receiving allocation would make anyone want to sell some or all of their existing collection - unless you don't like what you already own? If that's the case then selling it still has nothing to do with not getting allocation.

If you are a big spender (or small) and don't feel well treated change AD's, there are great AD's out there!
Old 5 November 2016, 09:12 PM   #106
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARNON View Post
Can someone post a side-by-side of the original 5711p & Anniv. 5711p - many thanks
Nt
Photohop combined image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OlD + NEW together.jpg (94.9 KB, 127 views)
Old 5 November 2016, 09:23 PM   #107
Finkalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5146G
@Roger - that is just unbelievable. Much of what I wanted to say has been said already. However, with your current collection, I just can't fathom a situation where you don't get a watch allocated!

My daily coffee barista has been nicer to me than Patek is being to you! Even my AD in Singapore asked if I wanted the Nautilus LE pieces. I declined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Finkalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2016, 09:47 PM   #108
conkers
"TRF" Member

I don't really want to name and shame my AD so I won't go into the details of the discussion I had with them but I can assure everyone I went through the exact process prescribed to them and was well within the imposed deadlines. It is possible that because i have bought Pateks from multiple ADs over the past 20 years in multiple countries it is causing problems but I think you credit Patek with more analysis skills than perhaps they have. I have never owned a Patek limited piece from new so I have never flipped one by definition. Of course I have owned and continue to own many very rare Pateks but none of them very explicitly limited items like the 175th or 40th pieces. As to selling pieces because I have been let down again, that I agree is perhaps a little fickle and emotional. But I am just lightening the collection and will keep a much smaller number. if I treated my customers as I feel I have been treated I think voting with ones feet is fully justified.
Old 5 November 2016, 09:48 PM   #109
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidtdmd View Post

Regardless I too have decided to move my business elsewhere.

I intend to keep a few of the "low end" Patek pieces I have, but I would much rather build relationships with AP and RM. I feel this way personally based on QC, reliability, and respect from the ADs I have delt with with the other brands.

JPS
Speaking with ones wallet is always the best way

Quote:
Spot on.
Old 5 November 2016, 10:05 PM   #110
JapRs
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexPatek
Not sure how it normally works with Patek but my AD has confirmed to me (once again) that I can choose one of both w/o problems...

In my case as I said before is Wempe
JapRs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2016, 10:07 PM   #111
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I don't really want to name and shame my AD so I won't go into the details of the discussion I had with them but I can assure everyone I went through the exact process prescribed to them and was well within the imposed deadlines. It is possible that because i have bought Pateks from multiple ADs over the past 20 years in multiple countries it is causing problems but I think you credit Patek with more analysis skills than perhaps they have. I have never owned a Patek limited piece from new so I have never flipped one by definition. Of course I have owned and continue to own many very rare Pateks but none of them very explicitly limited items like the 175th or 40th pieces. As to selling pieces because I have been let down again, that I agree is perhaps a little fickle and emotional. But I am just lightening the collection and will keep a much smaller number. if I treated my customers as I feel I have been treated I think voting with ones feet is fully justified.
Fully understand. It is very disappointing to not get an allocation. My only question would be how many names did your AD put forward to Rhone. I understand currently only one client for each AD would of been given allocation so depending on the AD (London) that could mean 2 or 3 clients such as yourself competing? There will inevitably be disappointed clients who possibly have every reason to of expected an allocation based on their patronage.
Old 5 November 2016, 10:08 PM   #112
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapRs View Post
Not sure how it normally works with Patek but my AD has confirmed to me (once again) that I can choose one of both w/o problems...

In my case as I said before is Wempe
Wempe where? Not UK.
Old 5 November 2016, 10:11 PM   #113
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARNON View Post
Nt
Arnon, on this forum, we use the body field for posting comments – a blank title field doesn’t prevent your post from being submitted.
Old 5 November 2016, 10:20 PM   #114
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Roger, don’t ever apologise for feeling aggrieved at Patek effectively giving you the cold shoulder.
You have (probably) put a sizeable amount of your own money into the brand, and with your incomings, have likely contributed to others (both members and casual viewers alike) spending their money on the brand too.
Personally, I say you’ve every right to be vocal about this, as well as having certain expectations.
Old 5 November 2016, 10:29 PM   #115
JapRs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Photohop combined image.
Old one for me...

Last edited by JapRs; 5 November 2016 at 10:35 PM.. Reason: Prefer the old one actually
Old 5 November 2016, 10:30 PM   #116
JapRs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Wempe where? Not UK.
No, Madrid

Maybe is because its Spain...
Old 5 November 2016, 11:44 PM   #117
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Roger, Have you ever tried buying within the US? I assume you live in HK based on your profile but I am sure a US AD would kill to have your amount of business. I hope I am correct in saying this but it seems US collectors traditionally have paid more for Pateks within the last 5 years if you were to look at list prices and currency values. As you all remember we had a 7% price decrease just to put us closer to other countries. I think I recall hearing the US receives about 15-17% of PPs total allocations. With all of this being said, although the pieces may not be as cheap within the US and the releases may not surface here first, I think if a relationship is built with the right AD getting the pieces you want should be no problem. For example, I am always shocked to hear how the 5711 in other parts of the world is 2-? year waiting list and how hard the 5167 and 5712/1As are to find. Long story short... I think you will certainly pay more in the US but with paying that price I believe your business is definitely valued and sought after pieces should be allocated to You with little resistance. (Thanks as always for your awesome contributions to this sub forum. Your Patek collection throughout the years has been amazing to say the least)

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2016, 01:35 AM   #118
conkers
"TRF" Member

Thank you Mike. I have never tried to be honest to establish a relationship with a US AD directly for PP although have done for other brands. Maybe I have missed out by backing the wrong horses.
Old 6 November 2016, 01:38 AM   #119
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapRs View Post
No, Madrid

Maybe is because its Spain...
I don't doubt your patronage to Wempe but this shows why the AD allocation system doesn't work. Obviously Wempe Spain either doesn't have 7 figure customers or nobody wanted the watch... But to be able to offer both and yet Roger has to compete with multiple 7 figure collectors shows the flaw...
Old 6 November 2016, 01:42 AM   #120
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
I don't doubt your patronage to Wempe but this shows why the AD allocation system doesn't work. Obviously Wempe Spain either doesn't have 7 figure customers or nobody wanted the watch... But to be able to offer both and yet Roger has to compete with multiple 7 figure collectors shows the flaw...
Then you come to US AD's and I bought maybe 3-4 PP's (nothing special) and was offered both from my AD, then met owner of another PP AD during F1 weekend and was offered 5976 with ZERO relationship...so there you have it.

I also know other members here that I PM with that were offered 5976 with 1 or 2 piece previous purchases from AD's.

Everyone passed.

NOW, you will not get to take advantage of that Brexit super discounts like Roger did when he purchased that amazing foursome incoming.