The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 September 2017, 11:14 PM   #1
Jessie_Datejust
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex datejust
Rolex Datejust 1601 advice

Hey guys,

New to the Rolex Forum as I just need some professional advice. I've spotted a Rolex Datejust rose gold and steel for sale which seems like a really good buy but it's a present for my husband so I just want a second opinion before I commit to anything. It's 1974 which is his birth year and is down as a reference 1601 from timedperfection uk

If anyone has some information on 1601 Datejust's, it would be appreciated!
Jessie_Datejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 11:16 PM   #2
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
Terrific ref, I would make sure its service record if possible and know that it may need to be serviced at an expense of at least $600-800 USD
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 11:36 PM   #3
Jessie_Datejust
"TRF" Member

Thank you jnmeaton! It doesn't have any box or papers but they said they have reflected this in the price.
Old 15 September 2017, 02:53 AM   #4
tamiya
"TRF" Member

DJ 1601 is an iconic timepiece showcasing the essence of the brand; powered by 1575 movement imho best of that era.

Everything mechanical needs servicing eventually but don't worry about it until the thing can't keep accurate time.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 06:02 AM   #5
raulpsanch12
"TRF" Member

Watch: es & Watches &....
Wow that sounds like a timeless watch. Go for it! Like @tamiya said, don't worry about servicing until you can tell a big time difference in the watch. I hope your husband enjoys it.
raulpsanch12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 09:27 PM   #6
Jessie_Datejust
"TRF" Member

Thank you! You all sound very convinced haha. I might run it past him just to see if it's right as he has a few rolexs. I'll let you know how i get on!
Old 15 September 2017, 09:30 PM   #7
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
We can't tell you anything worthwhile without photos. I'll move this to the vintage section till then.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 01:40 AM   #8
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

https://www.timedperfection.co.uk/bl...610-circa-1974
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 03:53 AM   #9
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

I'm no expert: the link posted by Richard Carver shows a 1601 that has a heavily polished bezel and very polished lugs. The bracelet may or may not have significant stretch. This is vintage that looks USED. That's not a bad thing, the watch has a lot of charm, but it is not a first-rate or crisp example by any means. Yes, the price is attractive for a rose-gold and steel, but.....
Old 16 September 2017, 04:24 AM   #10
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

The case is quite nice. Still convex sides and well centered lug holes. I`d like to see the gasket channel to check for corrosion. It's a nice original 43 year old 1601, wonder how hubby stacks up! :)

The bracelet, bezel and crown show a bit of wear but look serviceable. A movement service and and it'll be ready for a try at 86. :)
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 08:48 PM   #11
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoikkyu View Post
I'm no expert: the link posted by Richard Carver shows a 1601 that has a heavily polished bezel and very polished lugs. The bracelet may or may not have significant stretch. This is vintage that looks USED. That's not a bad thing, the watch has a lot of charm, but it is not a first-rate or crisp example by any means. Yes, the price is attractive for a rose-gold and steel, but.....
Very polished, Jubilee looks pretty tired... GBP2.6k is Nice Stainless territory for a twotone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
The case is quite nice. Still convex sides and well centered lug holes. I`d like to see the gasket channel to check for corrosion. It's a nice original 43 year old 1601, wonder how hubby stacks up! :)
Hey I resemble that remark Not well

Have grown old alongside Oysters, I'll be first to admit the watch keeps young & looks much better every day past 25yrs
Old 16 September 2017, 09:15 PM   #12
Jessie_Datejust
"TRF" Member

Woah! Thank you for all the replies! I guess I just wanted an expert opinion but I couldn't post the link unfortunately so thank you Richard. Thank you all. They have said that basically the price has taken into account that it may need servicing down the line, but it is running so well that they would rather sell it as it is at a good price. Still need to check with the husband so I'll update!
Old 16 September 2017, 09:29 PM   #13
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Link is wierd, comes up blank after showing for a split second... I had to do some hacking to read it.

If you're headset on buying that, go down in person & offer them 2k flat or you'll walk ;) hahaha worth the try.

IMHO 160X are pretty plentiful, majority were daily 'only' wearers and most look like that these days outside condition wise - much rarer to find "safe queen" examples with minty sharp edges. Internally the 1575 mech is built like a tank, be trying hard to kill one of those. Especially inside an Oyster "bomb shelter" case.

What other models does hubby have in his fleet now?
Old 19 September 2017, 08:17 AM   #14
Jessie_Datejust
"TRF" Member

Just a quick update. I ran it past him as he mainly has sports models and I think it might be too small for him. I think it's 36mm. Any opinions on size?
Old 19 September 2017, 09:06 AM   #15
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

Size is all personal preference: I wear the full spectrum. Some days I wear a bubbleback, which is a 31mm Rolex. Often I wear a 36mm. At this moment, I am wearing a 40mm 5513 Submariner. But I also wear 48mm Breitlings from the 1970s, and sometimes even a 55mm aviator's watch (B-Uhr) for extreme drama. So, I sincerely believe it's all a matter of choice. Easy enough to try one on at a dealer and see how it looks and feels. Many members of the forum think bubblebacks are too small, I don't agree: they feel great and tell time. The 36mm size is classic.