The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 September 2017, 05:52 AM   #1
jhacker
"TRF" Member

70's Explorer II Help

Hi everyone,

I would appreciate some advice or assistance on how to best restore this Explorer II in a way that will preserve its value.

If it were sent in directly to Rolex, what would they do/not do? Are there specific things to ask?

This watch will never be sold. But obviously do not want to do something that will also destroy value either.

Aside from whatever needs to be done to the movement, I think it needs a new crystal since there are a lot of scratches. There is a black dot on the hour hand, which hopefully can be fixed to keep the original hands. Maybe a light polish?

Thanks!
J

jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 06:09 AM   #2
tjbender
2024 Pledge Member

Whatever you do, do not send it to Rolex. Send it to someone like LA Watch Works if you decide you want it refinished. Looks great as is though.
tjbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 06:16 AM   #3
machob55
"TRF" Member

I'm sure movement must be serviced if it hasn't been done in the last 5 yrs. Acrylic crystal replacement as you mentioned. Polish of case and bracelet. Hopefully, the black dot on one of the hands can be removed, but if it's detoriated, they may want to replace the hands unless you deem otherwise. Any RSC or the company I use, (OFFICIAL TIME WATCH out off Salt Lake City, Utah) will have the watch back to you in a superb condition so that you may enjoy it for many more years to come. Good luck!

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
machob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 06:18 AM   #4
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

70's Explorer II Help

If you know that it was 100% original - and if that means the most to you - then an overhaul of the movement by a good watchmaker is maybe all you want. The Crystal may be able to be polished to remove scratches. If not a replacement might be sourced from a NOS dealer. The hands are very difficult to polish out and still preserve the original vintage lume - but a very experienced hand may be able to remove that black dot if it is just a fleck of dial paint that floated loose over the years.

Can you share some sharp close-up pics of the clasp inside and out? That could help on the bracelet front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 09:24 AM   #5
jhacker
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbender View Post
Whatever you do, do not send it to Rolex. Send it to someone like LA Watch Works if you decide you want it refinished. Looks great as is though.
Why shouldn't it go to Rolex?
jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote