The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 April 2017, 03:00 PM   #1
ApplesHK
"TRF" Member

Service Melbourne Australia

Greetings from a new member. I have a Rolex Sea Dweller which I bought second hand in 2011 when I lived in Hong Kong. It was from a trusted and reputable company.

I returned to live in Australia a few months after purchase and noticed the watch gained 2 minutes after every re-set. This didn't bother me too much, although other Rolex wearing friends were aghast. If I don't adjust it, it stays 2 minutes fast ongoing. I wear the watch 24/7, never taking it off and wearing in the shower.

It's obviously due for a service and may need adjusting too, but last month I noticed that it had stopped during the night. I reset it and noticed no problems, but this morning I noticed the same thing.

Can I request some local Melbourne knowledge here please? Should I take the watch to Rolex's service centre or are there other options that offer reliable work?

Thanks in advance.
ApplesHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 07:27 PM   #2
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Welcome

I would start by getting a quote from the RSC on Collins Street. If they service your watch, the work will be guaranteed for two years.
Old 27 April 2017, 08:49 PM   #3
Lol-x
Facilitator

Rolex Service Centre is no longer on Collins Street, its moved to a laneway a couple of blocks away:
Level7, 18 Oliver Lane, Melbourne.

However, there are a number of independent watchmakers around Melbourne who may be able to service your watch.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 12:02 AM   #4
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Rolex Service Centre is no longer on Collins Street, its moved to a laneway a couple of blocks away:
Level7, 18 Oliver Lane, Melbourne.

However, there are a number of independent watchmakers around Melbourne who may be able to service your watch.
Thanks Steve - I've been away from home for too long!
Old 28 April 2017, 01:59 PM   #5
Lol-x
Facilitator

I can understand you not going to Rolex all that often if for no other reason that every time a service is required it obliges you to take a pot of cash along to pay for the jolly service

Fortunately, with the green hang tag this expedition only needs to be done once per decade

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

Old 4 May 2017, 01:27 PM   #6
timelord
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplesHK View Post
I wear the watch 24/7, never taking it off and wearing in the shower.
Not a good idea!!!! Especially if you have not had the watch pressure tested to see if the seals are still intact. It is the seals that protect the "waterproofness" of the watch. If the watch has been pressure tested and passes today does not necessarily mean that it will pass next week, especially when there is a seasonal change or exposing your watch to harsh chemicals and letting soap suds accumulate under the seals. I absolutely hate seadwellers especially because of the grief that their helium escape valve gave me.

Read my experience here;

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=190495

Quote:
I wear the watch 24/7, never taking it off and wearing in the shower.

It's obviously due for a service and may need adjusting too, but last month I noticed that it had stopped during the night. I reset it and noticed no problems, but this morning I noticed the same thing.

Can I request some local Melbourne knowledge here please? Should I take the watch to Rolex's service centre or are there other options that offer reliable work?

Thanks in advance.
It definitely shows some sign of dryness somewhere, perhaps the reverser wheels are dry and not winding as efficiently as they should in not keeping the mainspring loaded. Perhaps the mainspring may need replacing. Could be that the oil is breaking down affecting the efficiency. You have spent a great deal of money, so to protect your small fortune costing timepiece it would be wise to send to the rolex authorised service centre. I wouldn't trust any TAFE or Workskils graduate thrown into these 6 week courses by the department of centrelink which are suppose to be at the level of rocket scientists . For Australian standards, RSC are still pretty ok, from my experience when I lived in that Utopia

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Welcome on board

Last edited by timelord; 4 May 2017 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: Spelling errors
timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2017, 09:37 AM   #7
ApplesHK
"TRF" Member

Thanks gents, it looks like it's off to the RSC for a quote. Best.
ApplesHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2017, 10:19 AM   #8
milov
"TRF" Member

Rory MacDonald in Fairfield is a Rolex trained independent who has serviced a vintage watch of mine if you want an alternative.
milov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2017, 02:33 PM   #9
timelord
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back
Quote:
Thanks gents, it looks like it's off to the RSC for a quote. Best.
Good idea!!! They might charge you body and soul for what they do, but you will find that other independent technicians won't be all that much cheaper

The biggest advantage of using Rolex after sales service center is that they have access to all the spare parts and pieces that are not readily available to their independent rolex trained technicians. You will also have a 2 years international guarantee:

As a tip from a former Seadweller owner, I would get them to check the case where the helium escape valve buts against as it is a weak point for corrosion and for future problems. I highly recommend this to you!!! Good LUCK!!!!!
timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 05:50 PM   #10
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milov View Post
Rory MacDonald in Fairfield is a Rolex trained independent who has serviced a vintage watch of mine if you want an alternative.
dropped in & had a chat with Rory who advised he's out of the Rolex loop for over a decade. He works with parts already "in the wild" that he's stockpiled.

I got the gist that he prefers anything pre 90s & loves 100yo+ English pocket watches
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 06:02 PM   #11
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Please sir Steve, appreciate some Indy leads?

There's a handful of indys appeared around the city in recent years, wondering which ones are worth risking for a simple flush & regrease.

Have used RSC Collins St in the past but that's before everything I wear became "vintage" now I don't want any part replaced, if needs be I'd rather keep them intact wornout & retire them from active wrist duty.
Old 28 August 2017, 02:12 AM   #12
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Bump!

Looking for feedback from fellow forms era on local indy services in Melbourne Australia.

Pretty please?
Old 4 September 2017, 06:10 PM   #13
tamiya
"TRF" Member

No Melburnians get their pieces serviced locally?

thought this little ole antipodean town would still had some skills worth retaining, before I get mine shipped overseas for overhaul
Old 17 September 2017, 04:05 PM   #14
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Bump! Still seeking recommendations.
Old 17 September 2017, 06:34 PM   #15
peterpl
Banned

Just take it to RSC. I havent heard anything bad about Melb or Sydney really. Just enphasize you want absolute care taken to not scratch up your hands, dial and ensure no dust/fingerprints.

That should be a given as thats just basic QC but I've heard some horror stories of numerous RSCs
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2017, 11:39 AM   #16
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Just take it to RSC. I havent heard anything bad about Melb or Sydney really. Just enphasize you want absolute care taken to not scratch up your hands, dial and ensure no dust/fingerprints.

That should be a given as thats just basic QC but I've heard some horror stories of numerous RSCs
Thanks, but I hear different horror stories

Latemodel sure I'll go RSC but atm I'm needing service for VINTAGE pieces

Don't want my radium dial nuked nor heirloom parts changed out just because they can.
Old 28 September 2017, 12:56 PM   #17
Lol-x
Facilitator

There is an asian guy who does the servicing for Watch Time, he seems pretty good, but I can't get his details. He has a service office somewhere close to Watch Time.

I'll try to investigate further....

Old 28 September 2017, 09:17 PM   #18
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There is an asian guy who does the servicing for Watch Time, he seems pretty good, but I can't get his details. He has a service office somewhere close to Watch Time.

I'll try to investigate further....
thanks Steve, appreciate it.

Watchtime in Block Arcade, formerly known as Antiquorum who loved advertising full page Wanted To Buy Used Rolex ads in HeraldSun?

Yeah I did pop in there few weeks back, chatted to the two ladies behind their counter - they said they did servicing but they didn't seem too keen to tell me when their inhouse service guy attends their joint. Thought they might've just outsourced to some generalist mob like Watchlab.

Looked up a few indys on upper floors of buildings around Collins St & Elizabeth... still looking! Patek fella should be back from Switzerland by now, I should pop into city again soon.
Old 6 November 2017, 11:52 AM   #19
rolexbound
Banned

Hi guys, I would like to have my 2000 Rolex Submariner 16610 serviced and polished. I got it second hand and it obviously had a hard hard life before I owned it.

Does anyone who has recent experience with the Melbourne RSC know how much a service would cost? Also, do you think they will need to replace the bracelet?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171106_124741.jpg (83.6 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg 20171106_124807.jpg (78.0 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg 20171106_124811.jpg (72.7 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg 20171106_124834.jpg (81.9 KB, 281 views)
rolexbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 12:08 PM   #20
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexbound View Post
Does anyone who has recent experience with the Melbourne RSC know how much a service would cost? Also, do you think they will need to replace the bracelet?
During my recent enquiries consensus was an overhaul would be about $1k basic movement; non-routine parts extra.

If you're in Vic just drop it off for a quote, shouldn't cost you anything to ask.

Your bracelet doesn't look too bad, still looks plenty of life yet other than the fender bender at the clasp shell. If any of the links have loosened to high risk of letting go then yeah better replace (or 3rd party wizardry)
Old 6 November 2017, 12:09 PM   #21
rolexbound
Banned

Thanks for the quick reply! Cheers!
rolexbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 01:16 PM   #22
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Do let us know how you go, OK?

I haven't used RSC since they moved to new premises.

Thought i had something needing work but that piece seems to have sorted itself out, for now, so I can holdoff a bit longer.
Old 9 November 2017, 05:39 PM   #23
jeccytewwi85
"TRF" Member

hi
you are talking about rolex watch , i love rolex watch , your thread helps me a lot , thanks for sharing
jeccytewwi85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 05:02 PM   #24
datejust&gmtfan
"TRF" Member

Hi all,

I've had a 16710 looked at both in Melbourne and Sydney RSCs. This was in 2013.

The Sydney team were exemplary, providing on the spot service for a minor issue.

The Melbourne team sent my watch back with the springs bars hanging out the left hand case side (the case had been polished as I had a major ding on one lug). I was surprised that passed the final QC, and had to go back myself to point out the issue. To their credit, they fixed it on the spot - as they should. No apologies though...

I've used Rory M in Fairfield for a vintage Tudor. He did great work, and I recommend him over Melbourne RSC.

Cheers.
datejust&gmtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 05:17 PM   #25
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I recommend Richard McMahon in Adelaide but that is a fair way away from you.

http://rmcmahon.com.au/

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote