The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 29 October 2017, 04:43 PM   #1
TravisC
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Crown not turning hands

Hello and i just bought a preowned Rolex Submariner and the crown isnt turning the hands to set the time and the second hand is working and watch is keeping time but just not set on the correct time. Im absolutely a nervous wreck over this!! What should i do and any help is greatly appreciated!!
TravisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2017, 04:47 PM   #2
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

I see this is your first post.
First things first. Did you unscrew the crown, counter clockwise, before trying to set the watch?
Once unscrewed, did you pull the crown out?
If it did not move the hands did you try pushing the crown in and pulling it back out to set a few times?

Last edited by MILGAUSS88; 29 October 2017 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: ....
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2017, 04:53 PM   #3
tamiya
"TRF" Member

most latemodel movements will "hack" = the seconds hand stops moving when you're in the hand-setting crown position

So if the watch is still running, your crown hasn't reached the time setting position.

Might need adjustment or something broken might need repair, anything is possible.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2017, 08:37 PM   #4
steviebeat
"TRF" Member

The crown might be loose on the stem, turn it anti clockwise for a while and see if it comes off. If it does put a touch of green loctite on the thread in crown and wind it back on again in winding position not hand set, give it a good old wind.
steviebeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2017, 08:49 PM   #5
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Unless you really know what you are doing don't put any loctite near your Rolex crown threads.

As Willy said check that you have the stem in the hands set position as you may have to rotate the crown slightly as you pull it out to the second set position.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2017, 02:03 AM   #6
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviebeat View Post
The crown might be loose on the stem, turn it anti clockwise for a while and see if it comes off. If it does put a touch of green loctite on the thread in crown and wind it back on again in winding position not hand set, give it a good old wind.
good lord NO!!! loctite would be worst possible choice of lubricant for rubber seals...
Old 30 October 2017, 02:09 AM   #7
1WatchDawg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610T Sub Date
Should not be a problem, I have a 16610 and to get the watch into the time setting position(hacked) you need to give the crown a little extra nudge! If worried take it to an AD and let them show you how it's done.
1WatchDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2017, 02:32 AM   #8
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
good lord NO!!! loctite would be worst possible choice of lubricant for rubber seals...
Loctite is a recipe for disaster as willy points out. I would not lube either, just follow the advice other members provided here.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2017, 02:41 AM   #9
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Gotta admit, that trainwreck could be highly LOL-worthy, no?

Heck, we're playing with analogue mechanical timepieces.
All subs are OPerps, yes?

Even if some jokester has superglued your crown shut, wouldn't need an Ingineer to figure out just let it run down then set an alarm to remind you to wind it up again at the stopped time.
Old 1 November 2017, 11:36 PM   #10
steviebeat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
Eh? Loktite is put on the thread of the crown to keep the stem in. Not sure what you are on about..

edit : Ah ok I was not talking about the thread on the case that the crown winds on to, would have thought that was obvious though. Should have said thread on stem perhaps.
Old 2 November 2017, 02:03 AM   #11
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviebeat View Post
edit : Ah ok I was not talking about the thread on the case that the crown winds on to, would have thought that was obvious though. Should have said thread on stem perhaps.
heh, nah I knew what you meant.

But to our average punter, PROBABLY NOT

Have you actually managed to reattach a crown that's fallen off its stem simply by regluing it back on, no other surgery needed?

I'd have thought it would be best to shuck that oyster case, extract the stem before uncorking any Loctite. Do your gluing & let it cure before reinstalling stem into movement.

Otherwise I'm pretty sure I'd end up getting Loctite on 1 or all the seals along the way

(so says the geek owning at least 5 different flavours of threadlock )
Old 3 November 2017, 04:00 AM   #12
steviebeat
"TRF" Member

Winding and hand setting both turn the crown tighter on the stem so unless you are hand setting anti clockwise for a weird amount of the time you could just wind the crown back on and the loktite would make it stay pretty firm if you used the green one.

Ideally you would open it and take the stem out but if someone wanted to fix this issue themselves they could do what I said, and if you put a touch of the sticky stuff on the inside of the crown thread where the stem goes with a needle or something it won't get anywhere near a seal.
Old 3 November 2017, 05:12 AM   #13
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisC View Post
Hello and i just bought a preowned Rolex Submariner and the crown isnt turning the hands to set the time and the second hand is working and watch is keeping time but just not set on the correct time. Im absolutely a nervous wreck over this!! What should i do and any help is greatly appreciated!!
You just have not pulled the crown out far enough. Sometimes it takes more effort than we would think.
Old 6 November 2017, 07:34 AM   #14
bobridley
TechXpert & 2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
You just have not pulled the crown out far enough. Sometimes it takes more effort than we would think.
As mentioned by Tools, an aged winding crown can have slack thus needing more tug for catch to occur.
Otherwise, there may be the need for a part replacement;whether it be the crown itself or another part within the setting mechanism.

Although this occurrence can be nerve racking, the solution should be minor. A competent watchmaker that understands this model can bring back your smile.
bobridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 02:28 PM   #15
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
The problem with the 3135 caliber movement from time to time if that is what's in your watch you didn't list model number is that the intermediate setting wheels of which there are 2, the one closest to the sliding pinion is moved towards the sliding pinion when adjusting the calendar and if the teeth are not properly lubed they won't mesh which keeps you from pulling the stem out into the setting position. So to help facilitate the meshing turn the crown slightly till it goes into calendar mode if it clicks in it should then go into setting mode. If it doesn't it's not fully engaged into slide pinion because the teeth are point to point or tooth to tooth. Try that if it still hangs up bring it somewhere or send it to someone who knows how to fix it, I may know someone lol let us know if it works Rik
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote