The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 November 2017, 06:11 AM   #1
ike_2112
"TRF" Member

Rolex Sub bracelet

Hi all,

I took delivery today of a 'Kermit' 50th anniversary sub, serial F778xxx which I think dates it 2004.

I have tried on 2006 and 2007 pieces but then found one online that was 'old enough' for me.
But the bracelet has an awful lot of 'play' in it; the links move a full mm laterally and more than that towards/away from each other. And the clasp moves and rattles even when closed. I have read about the "Rolex rattle" but the forum posts I found using the search function all referred to vintage pieces - 13 years isn't really vintage. Plus the 06 and 07 ones I've tried didn't have this issue (I tried both within the last week) and there's not a great difference between an 11 and a 13yr old bracelet.

I don't know if this can be resolved? I've seen suggestions of having a watchmaker "re-pin" the bracelet. Yet other responses suggest the cause of this issue would be the hole in the link itself widening, which would suggest new pins is only a short-term fix. Replacing the whole bracelet is presumably costly (I don't know how much?).
The watch had just been serviced by Rolex in October 2017 so the case etc is in superb condition, so was surprised to find the bracelet isn't really.

I bought it online so I have 14 days to decide to send it back, but I don't really know what I'm dealing with here, if its an issue to expect of a watch this age, the cost of resolving etc.
ike_2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 07:26 AM   #2
1WatchDawg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610T Sub Date
Photos would help!
1WatchDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 08:57 AM   #3
ike_2112
"TRF" Member

Sorry I figured since it was about movement and noise that photos wouldn't be much use.

Unfortunately I don't have enough of a post count to allow me to link to pictures anyway! I just tried and it won't allow me.
Old 9 November 2017, 09:05 AM   #4
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Well...the 5 digit bracelets do have some rattle to them, for sure. But, one thing I've learned from buying pre-owned watches is that some people are VERY rough on their bracelets. I've taken delivery on modern 6 digit models that feel like they've been run through a washing machine.

My advice: if you're not satisfied with the feel of it, return it and go shopping for a better example. There's plenty out there.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 09:14 AM   #5
John DSSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea, Hulk, YM
I hope it's not the one on watchfinder. Think it was for sale £9450
John DSSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 09:16 AM   #6
ike_2112
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
My advice: if you're not satisfied with the feel of it, return it and go shopping for a better example. There's plenty out there.
This was the way I was leaning - purely because I've held two not much older without this issue.

BUT - there's not plenty out there, not in Europe anyway (I'm in Scotland). It took me 7 months to find this one. I specifically wanted a Mark 1 or 2 (i.e. 2003 or 2004) prior to them putting the Rolex rehaut in. There's a couple pristine examples which are double what I paid, I'm not willing to pay that premium.

I figure I could buy a replacement bracelet but I've no idea how much they cost - I saw a couple online but it's impossible to tell if they're fake these days.
Old 9 November 2017, 09:18 AM   #7
Time666
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Exp, AP
I asked my local AD if you could purchase the sub bracelet on its own. Assuming the answer would be no, was surprised then the sales guy went through the catalogue and found it as a separate sale item at around £1450 from memory.

This was back in September this year when I enquired. I explained I wanted my BLNR on a brushed bracelet and if they’d be willing to help me swap it from my sub as a trial. They even said they’d help me fit it using different bars from the Yatchmaster.

I was a little surprised and thought it would be a straight no. Anyway still a little tasty at that price and thought better to out it towards the sub lv ��
Old 9 November 2017, 09:59 AM   #8
John DSSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea, Hulk, YM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time666 View Post
I asked my local AD if you could purchase the sub bracelet on its own. Assuming the answer would be no, was surprised then the sales guy went through the catalogue and found it as a separate sale item at around £1450 from memory.

This was back in September this year when I enquired. I explained I wanted my BLNR on a brushed bracelet and if they’d be willing to help me swap it from my sub as a trial. They even said they’d help me fit it using different bars from the Yatchmaster.

I was a little surprised and thought it would be a straight no. Anyway still a little tasty at that price and thought better to out it towards the sub lv ��
I though the Glidelock was £1500 alone not including the links
John DSSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 11:41 AM   #9
Turpentine
"TRF" Member

Similar boat here....received my Kermit earlier this year and band was moderately stretched, not significantly, but more than my liking. I sent watch for full service at RSC and sent the band to Michael Young for repair. This option is significantly cheaper than band replacement. Bracelet is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, so looking forward to seeing his magic.
Turpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 02:42 PM   #10
Bagman
Banned

Watch: Rolex Pepsi
Please let us know your opinion of Michael Youngs work.
Bagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 03:55 AM   #11
ike_2112
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turpentine View Post
Similar boat here....received my Kermit earlier this year and band was moderately stretched, not significantly, but more than my liking. I sent watch for full service at RSC and sent the band to Michael Young for repair. This option is significantly cheaper than band replacement. Bracelet is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, so looking forward to seeing his magic.
How much is repair if you don't mind my asking?

I've contacted the seller and asked for their suggestions...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 10 November 2017, 03:58 AM   #12
ike_2112
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DSSD View Post
I hope it's not the one on watchfinder. Think it was for sale £9450
No I paid less than that. My local AD has one at £8,250 in great condition but its a 2007... but that price is my limit really. Should be able to get a non-2003 but still early model for that price.

It generally concerns me how little ADs know about them though - the one at my AD has papers for 2007 yet has 'flat 4' bezel... I think it's been switched in as only the earlier models had that bezel.

Old 10 November 2017, 03:58 AM   #13
cpefy3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014, 16600
Michael Young does great work. His prices are around 180 USD plus shipping for stainless bracelets.
cpefy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 06:41 AM   #14
Turpentine
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike_2112 View Post
How much is repair if you don't mind my asking?

I've contacted the seller and asked for their suggestions...

Mine was a bit more than 180USD. Upon inspection, they recommended adding the laser to the links for better restoration which was an additional 150USD.
Here is what I paid out the door: "The price of the restoration is USD180 + USD150, pin is USD10 and return postage via FedEx (not insured) is USD40, total USD380 excluding Paypal transaction fee."

I received the band back today and he did a phenomenal job. I'll take it to my AD tomorrow to put it back on my watch.
Old 10 November 2017, 06:49 AM   #15
ike_2112
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Mine was a bit more than 180USD. Upon inspection, they recommended adding the laser to the links for better restoration which was an additional 150USD.
Here is what I paid out the door: "The price of the restoration is USD180 + USD150, pin is USD10 and return postage via FedEx (not insured) is USD40, total USD380 excluding Paypal transaction fee."

I received the band back today and he did a phenomenal job. I'll take it to my AD tomorrow to put it back on my watch.
Nice.
I'm in Europe so not sure this is an option for me but it's a great price in my opinion for restoring it.

Old 10 November 2017, 07:02 AM   #16
Shaky
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Sounds like you are happy with the work and I wouldn’t say that price is excessive at all tbh.

Compared to the price of a new strap it’s a downright steal.
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 07:06 AM   #17
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
I would like to see pics of the bracelet in question....
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 12:37 AM   #18
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
No I paid less than that. My local AD has one at £8,250 in great condition but its a 2007... but that price is my limit really. Should be able to get a non-2003 but still early model for that price.

It generally concerns me how little ADs know about them though - the one at my AD has papers for 2007 yet has 'flat 4' bezel... I think it's been switched in as only the earlier models had that bezel.

Hi

What is your local ads name?
Old 11 November 2017, 12:53 AM   #19
ike_2112
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Hi

What is your local ads name?
Its a Chisholm Hunter that has the one I mentioned above (they're not a Rolex AD but are for most other brands).
Like I say from the research I did on these bezels I think that one has been added to try and inflate the value... the 'flat 4' wouldn't have been on a watch later than 2005.

Old 11 November 2017, 02:43 AM   #20
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Its a Chisholm Hunter that has the one I mentioned above (they're not a Rolex AD but are for most other brands).
Like I say from the research I did on these bezels I think that one has been added to try and inflate the value... the 'flat 4' wouldn't have been on a watch later than 2005.

Thanks. Just had a look but don't see it on their website.
Old 11 November 2017, 02:47 AM   #21
ike_2112
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Thanks. Just had a look but don't see it on their website.
They don't put the good stuff on it, they prefer to sell some pieces in store. They actually have 3 examples of the Kermit in the company. Give them a call.

Old 11 November 2017, 07:43 AM   #22
Turpentine
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagman View Post
Please let us know your opinion of Michael Youngs work.
It's like I have a NOS bracelet! Exceeded all expectations.

Untitled by Aaron Sullivan, on Flickr
Old 11 November 2017, 03:52 PM   #23
Bagman
Banned

Watch: Rolex Pepsi
Wow.... if you’ve priced a new watch band this is a bargain. Workmanship looks excellent
Bagman is offline   Reply With Quote