The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 November 2017, 03:00 AM   #1
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Philippe
Overseas - first time buyer

Hi,

I have been looking for a very nice stainless steel watch to rotate alongside my Royal Oak as a daily wearer.

I have tried all rolex, not quite fine enough finish that Iím looking for, nautilus the design just doesnít quite do it for me, Audemars Piguet - well I have already bought the Royal Oak and itís perfect, now just need something else like it.

So that saw me start looking at the Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph. I really would like a black dial most, so that means Iíve been looking st the previous model - reference 49150/b01a-9097.

How does that compare to the new model? Is it a bad idea to go for the previous model - price difference is not a concern. How good is the finishing on these watches? I am far away from any used or new dealers so need some help from TRF on this one!

I look forward to some feedback from you all, and please share all your photos!

RJ
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 03:18 AM   #2
PJ S
"TRF" Member

Nothing wrong whatsoever with considering the 49150, especially pre-owned.
There’s also a nice sporty LE with silver dial and red chrono hands to consider too – personally I prefer the grey with satin finished titanium bezel.
You should also look at the Girard-Perregaux Laureatos, but if a chronograph was something that you absolutely had to have, then the Chrono Hawks, including ceramic ones, are definitely worth contemplating – as too would the Parmigiani Fleurier Pershing 002 or Tonda Metrographe.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 03:58 AM   #3
justdate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Nothing wrong whatsoever with considering the 49150, especially pre-owned.
Thereís also a nice sporty LE with silver dial and red chrono hands to consider too Ė personally I prefer the grey with satin finished titanium bezel.
You should also look at the Girard-Perregaux Laureatos, but if a chronograph was something that you absolutely had to have, then the Chrono Hawks, including ceramic ones, are definitely worth contemplating Ė as too would the Parmigiani Fleurier Pershing 002 or Tonda Metrographe.
Thanks for the suggestions PJ, I will take some time to look through them.

I like the grey model, and it is available from WatchFinder who are my preferred used dealer, but a must have for me is a metal bracelet, and from what I can see that watch is strap only.

Chronograph complication is not a must have, I only require a date, everything else is negotiable.
Old 15 November 2017, 04:51 AM   #4
PJ S
"TRF" Member

You can buy the bracelet separately, but look at who has one already fitted, which will take some sting out of the ~£2K cost.

In that case, the Laureato may fit the bill too, as will the 47040 VCOs.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 05:31 AM   #5
tyler1980
2017 HULK Pledge Member

I really, really like the new model. For me though the price is what is keeping me from it as i do think its high for what it is.

Price not factored in i would get the new one vs the old one every time. I like how it looks better and the strap change system I would use a lot as its so easy to switch from strap to bracelet.

The finishing on both is outstanding and both are great watches. Ive tried them on many times but don't own one.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 09:52 AM   #6
justdate
"TRF" Member

Well had a look through lots of the watches, all the watches mentioned in this thread and the VC Overseas remains my preferred option. However I do think I am leaning towards buying a new model - (1) I really love to have the clear case back to admire the movement (2) on these watches with the wonderful finishes, it is always nice to have a new one rather than a used / polished one (3) For the optionality of quick change straps, that seems a nice bonus.

As such I may look at the date only Overseas, the 4500V with blue dial. I am not quite sure what the UK RRP is, but it seems to be around £18,000 which is relatively high given the £15,000 Royal Oak.

From what I can tell in the UK the only ADs would be in London, I can take a day trip there at some point, but does anyone know if the ADs in London will discount this model at all?
Old 16 November 2017, 12:59 AM   #7
DVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SLA017
A few days ago I read about that watch, looked it up for you:

https://uhrforum.de/vacheron-constan...n-muss-t318036

Lots of great pictures, if you scroll down he even shows the watch on bracelet and both straps.
He got it in South-Tirol (Italy) and if I understand his extremely long post correct he got it with a decent discount.
Old 16 November 2017, 03:53 AM   #8
AK797
2017 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdate View Post
Well had a look through lots of the watches, all the watches mentioned in this thread and the VC Overseas remains my preferred option. However I do think I am leaning towards buying a new model - (1) I really love to have the clear case back to admire the movement (2) on these watches with the wonderful finishes, it is always nice to have a new one rather than a used / polished one (3) For the optionality of quick change straps, that seems a nice bonus.

As such I may look at the date only Overseas, the 4500V with blue dial. I am not quite sure what the UK RRP is, but it seems to be around £18,000 which is relatively high given the £15,000 Royal Oak.

From what I can tell in the UK the only ADs would be in London, I can take a day trip there at some point, but does anyone know if the ADs in London will discount this model at all?
No they probably won't, I had a wonderful time in VC Bond St chewing the fat with the dashing salesman, and I enjoyed the blue dial very much and the nifty strap change, but when it came to price, just radio silence and no email replies either.

I prefer the 2nd gen too as it has the guilloche black dial which I associate with VCO, and the bracelet has a more defined 3d MC Motif. Plus prices are much better, finding it is the tricky part.

Hopefully Improviz will post his or PM him, he has the watch you are looking for.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 05:19 AM   #9
justdate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
No they probably won't, I had a wonderful time in VC Bond St chewing the fat with the dashing salesman, and I enjoyed the blue dial very much and the nifty strap change, but when it came to price, just radio silence and no email replies either.

I prefer the 2nd gen too as it has the guilloche black dial which I associate with VCO, and the bracelet has a more defined 3d MC Motif. Plus prices are much better, finding it is the tricky part.

Hopefully Improviz will post his or PM him, he has the watch you are looking for.
Thanks for the info, thatís helpful
Old 16 November 2017, 05:20 AM   #10
justdate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
A few days ago I read about that watch, looked it up for you:

https://uhrforum.de/vacheron-constan...n-muss-t318036

Lots of great pictures, if you scroll down he even shows the watch on bracelet and both straps.
He got it in South-Tirol (Italy) and if I understand his extremely long post correct he got it with a decent discount.
Good thread, thanks for the link!
Old 16 November 2017, 10:24 AM   #11
toucan
2017 HULK Pledge Member

Watch: 5711
It's a great watch!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8815.JPG (290.5 KB, 52 views)
toucan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 12:21 PM   #12
Ally9
"TRF" Member

Buy preowned as the value tanks.

That said I owned the 49150 Chrono and it was every bit as hard and bullet proof as a Rolex

Buy one and enjoy it
Ally9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 05:11 PM   #13
rolehex
2017 HULK Pledge Member

[QUOTE
I like the grey model, but a must have for me is a metal bracelet...
.[/QUOTE]

My favorite combination as well but hard to find.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote