The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 November 2017, 04:42 AM   #31
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I would guess it gets domed sapphire crystal new movement slightly different lugs and a higher price.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 08:32 AM   #32
Xerxes77
Banned

Next year
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 06:34 PM   #33
wm82
"TRF" Member

The movement fits in the current case, they may not announce anything, just make a 116610M reference, like they did going from 14060 (cal 3000) to 14060M (cal 3130). Or 16800 to 16610, no big fanfare, same cases and dials etc. The hands are the same size on 32 as 31 as well...

The 32 is a significant upgrade to the 31. The barrel is now sealed shut so even though it's thinner, theres no reliance issues, its a mandatory replacement now at servicing. Some cheaper watchmakers keep the old barrels and just replace the mainspring, which will no longer be possible. Same goes for the 2236.

The 32 has a new escapement which is antigmagnetic and lighter, contributing to PR.

The handsetting mechanism now uses a vertical clutch, which eliminates the play that can cause difficulty setting the minute hand exactly on the 31, it tends to "jump". Also on the 3135 you sometimes have to pull the crown twice to engage the date setting mode, cause the setting wheels meet tooth-to-tooth, this is eliminated with the 32 clutch.

The going train is now a single train for all three hands, meaning the second hand and minute hand are perfectly synced. On the 31 the minute and hour hand are driven directly from the barrel, causing some play. When the seconds hand has done exactly one rotation the minute hand lags a bit. This error is gone on the 32.

The date setting mechanism and also day-date mechanism is now completely "fool proof". There is a way you can damage your date wheel on the 3135 by manipulating it around midnight (I can tell you how if you like... :) But thats completely gone now.

The movement decoration is also next-level, as close to handfinishing as you can get with machines, was the goal. And thats for the watchmakers eyes only...

The rotor screw is hollow, so you can press on the hands without having to remove the automatic module. Convenient.

The dial is now back to the old style from the 1555 era with a flange that sits with friction fit around the movement, no more dial feet that could snap off from a shock to the movement. This has always been the case on ladies models, and it works very well.

The movement is also futureproof, with an unused jewel in the trainbridge... see if you can spot it :)

I would wait for the upgrade to the 32 if I was buying a new Rolex, it's certainly a great upgrade.
wm82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 07:07 PM   #34
Shamorai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16523, 116610LV
Sounds interesting, but seriously, my sub keeps perfect time.
Shamorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 07:32 PM   #35
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhawli View Post
I'd be surprised if they can fit this new movement without upping the size to 41mm?

Could this be the end of the 40mm sub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
----
Rolex Submariner Date (116610LN)
Omega Speedmaster Pro (311.30.42.30.01.006)
AFAIK both movements are the same size. That’s why they had to scale down the DJ41 to 39.6mm from the 41.8 of the DJ2.

I think it’s coming in 2018

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 09:09 PM   #36
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
AFAIK both movements are the same size. That’s why they had to scale down the DJ41 to 39.6mm from the 41.8 of the DJ2.

I think it’s coming in 2018
Exactly both 28.50mm diameter and 6mm deep.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 09:51 PM   #37
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
My guess is there’s something big coming out next year it it sure seems like it could be an updated sub with a 3235.

That being said, I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to buy a current sub today. Even with all the possible changes I’m sure most of them will be rather small and although a 3235 would be nice a 3135 will do just as good of a job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 November 2017, 02:36 AM   #38
rossi46
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by wm82 View Post
The 32 is a significant upgrade to the 31...

I would wait for the upgrade to the 32 if I was buying a new Rolex, it's certainly a great upgrade.
Epic post! Thank you very much.

Should be a sticky for all the people that say the new movement is no big deal.
Old 18 November 2017, 03:04 AM   #39
lmala
"TRF" Member

Great, but IMO these are theoretical improvements with a very marginal impact on everyday life

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
lmala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 03:18 AM   #40
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmala View Post
Great, but IMO these are theoretical improvements with a very marginal impact on everyday life

Exactly. That’s essentially been the case for decades, but they need to keep pulling in new buyers and legitimize rising costs.

When I think of my Rolex, Tudor and and Omega Co-Axial movements, there’s no way I could tell you which one is “better,” outside of simply reading the technical differences. They all operate +2/-2 for years no problem.

Now, if there was some improvement that meant an easy 30 years without service, maybe it would perk me up, but, as I’ve said before, it’s basically like improving typewriters, at this point, unless we’re talking about the art of haute horology.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 03:29 AM   #41
lmala
"TRF" Member

BTW my sub has an error of 0,6 s/d Not too bad!

Old 18 November 2017, 03:35 AM   #42
Wools
"TRF" Member

I think it's a reductive view to think there's no point in replacing the moment as their will just be small changes.

We're talking about wrist watches. The mechanics have not changed in 100+ years but comparing the first wrist watch with a Master Co-Axial or a 3235 with a Silicon Hairspring, the changes are tiny but significant. Just like computing, they're small changes year on year, but they add up to significant and marvelous changes which are felt in years to come.

Bring on the tiny changes, I say! ;)
Wools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 03:36 AM   #43
wm82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post

Thanks :) There's other stuff aswell, like the construction of the balance/staff and the complete ommitance of wire springs, new materials etc. The average Rolex owner is not interested in horology though so it's a bit "pearls before swine" but, for those of us who bother with it it certainly is rewarding. The 31XX is an epic movement that has served for over 30 years now... not easy to improve on but they managed!

If nothing else noone can say Rolex movements arent good looking! They also did some other cool movements for the SkyDweller and YM2 recently, LIGA-upgrade to the 4130, LIGA-wheels in the cellini etc... they certainly know to up their game in the movement sector.
wm82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 03:40 AM   #44
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think it could be announced at Basel but don't think it will be the highlight of the show. I think they will just slide the 3235 in there without any other cosmetic changes so basically having a better PR is not a huge marketing point, other new issues will be the prime focus.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 03:53 AM   #45
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,LV,SD43,PAMs
This is a great post and very interesting. I think the reason for the lack of supply of stainless sport models is that they are going to put the 3235 with 14 patents, 70 hour power reserve and other advancements in the Subs. This will justify a long overdue price increase and spark new collector demand. In terms of "rotor noise" has anyone compared the SD43 with the 3235 to a SubC date. I just sold my Breitling Navitimer because that "whirling" sound annoyed me.
marc2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 04:20 AM   #46
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wools View Post
I think it's a reductive view to think there's no point in replacing the moment as their will just be small changes.

We're talking about wrist watches. The mechanics have not changed in 100+ years but comparing the first wrist watch with a Master Co-Axial or a 3235 with a Silicon Hairspring, the changes are tiny but significant. Just like computing, they're small changes year on year, but they add up to significant and marvelous changes which are felt in years to come.

Bring on the tiny changes, I say! ;)
The difference is that computers aren't an anachronism. Either way, I'm totally fine with changes. I just wouldn't lose any sleep over it, because they're likely to make little difference in real world usage.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 04:22 AM   #47
lmala
"TRF" Member

Sto uscendo ora

Old 18 November 2017, 06:47 AM   #48
lmala
"TRF" Member

Sorry ...

Old 18 November 2017, 07:51 AM   #49
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post

Agreed.

Very compelling to say the least and one of the very few pearls we get on forums.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 07:56 AM   #50
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2828 View Post
This is a great post and very interesting. I think the reason for the lack of supply of stainless sport models is that they are going to put the 3235 with 14 patents, 70 hour power reserve and other advancements in the Subs. This will justify a long overdue price increase and spark new collector demand. In terms of "rotor noise" has anyone compared the SD43 with the 3235 to a SubC date. I just sold my Breitling Navitimer because that "whirling" sound annoyed me.
Different brands and models are worse in that regard than others.

I haven't handled a functioning SD43 or new Skydweller yet, but the PM Skydweller and DJ41's don't seem to have the issue.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote