The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 November 2017, 03:03 AM   #1
JustALurker94
"TRF" Member

Question about customized rolex and RSC.

So I am planning on buying a Rolex watch (customized with tiny diamonds) from Beckertime. I asked him if Rolex would approve of it as genuine if I sent it to them to which he replied:
Rolex will not approve of this Rolex because it has a custom refinished diamond dial. If it is important to have Rolex approval, you can only purchase a Rolex that is 100% Rolex. Rolex considers any watch that has been customized to no longer be an original Rolex. Rolex will not approve or service any Rolex that has been customized.
Is this accurate? Do Rolex consider customized watches as non-genuine? If so is there any other way I can get it checked if its real or not, that is the Rolex watch? Don't get me wrong I fully trust Beckertime; I just have a paranoia when it comes to counterfeits.
JustALurker94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 03:16 AM   #2
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
A Rolex with aftermarket or fake parts will be serviced by Rolex on the condition that you let them bring it back into the original state as it left the factory. They will keep all parts which will be replaced.

Well meant advise; don't buy a Rolex with aftermarket parts unless it comes with the original parts and is easily reversible.
Only burning money
Old 19 November 2017, 03:17 AM   #3
Xerxes77
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
A Rolex with aftermarket or fake parts will be serviced by Rolex on the condition that you let them bring it back into the original state as it left the factory. They will keep all parts which will be replaced.

Well meant advise; don't buy a Rolex with aftermarket parts unless it comes with the original parts and is easily reversible.
Only burning money
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 03:18 AM   #4
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:

Only burning money
Agree all around.

Yes even may consider it counterfeit.

As said above,

Rolex may offer to restore it to original design at your expense during service.

Best to avoid any Rolex with aftermarket components.

Old 19 November 2017, 04:18 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustALurker94 View Post
. . .Is this accurate? Do Rolex consider customized watches as non-genuine? If so is there any other way I can get it checked if its real or not, that is the Rolex watch? Don't get me wrong I fully trust Beckertime; I just have a paranoia when it comes to counterfeits.
Any good AD watchmaker can likely "authenticate" your Rolex, and likely a whole host of other good watchmakers. If you trust the seller, then why would you feel you need to get more opinions?

Rolex does not service watches with aftermarket parts, but, again, there are thousands of good independents who can do the job just fine.
Old 19 November 2017, 04:22 AM   #6
JustALurker94
"TRF" Member

My two questions.

Quote:

Only burning money

Quote:
Agree all around.

Yes even may consider it counterfeit.

As said above,

Rolex may offer to restore it to original design at your expense during service.

Best to avoid any Rolex with aftermarket components.
Hello guys and thank you all for taking the time to answer my question. I am a bit of a noob when it comes to the Rolex realm; It is good to know that Rolex will offer to reverse it to a genuine Rolex state. What I had in mind is having it checked whether it is essentially Rolex or not, and my question is would Rolex themselves judge it as counterfeit if it just has a few parts non-Rolex/aftermarket? And if so is there any other way I can get it checked for realness other than through Rolex themselves?

To sum up my questions.
1. Do Rolex judge a watch with aftermarket parts as completely counterfeit?
2. Is there some way to check if a Rolex watch is essentially/mostly Rolex other than through Rolex themselves?

Here is some information on the watch itself.

Movement: Rolex officially certified chronometer self-winding automatic movement

Dial:Rolex dial has been professionally refinished with custom added WHITE MOTHER OF PEARL (MOP) and 10 genuine round brilliant diamonds. The hands are silver color...the reflection of the camera makes the hands look black.

Bezel:Rolex stainless steel ENGINE-TURNED INDEX bezel

Crystal: Acrylic Crystal

Case Rolex: Stainless steel case

Band Rolex: stainless steel Jubilee bracelet with Rolex signed clasp. Moderate stretch/
Old 19 November 2017, 04:41 AM   #7
Golf&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116719
There are many genuine Rolex watches that have been customized with non original parts. When the non Rolex parts are accounted for at the time of sale, and the understanding that you shall have to use an independent watchmaker (there are many, and many members here would always choose an independent- over an RSC) are declared, the purchaser understands his position, all is understood, and hopefully informed decisions can be taken.
Golf&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 11:35 AM   #8
JustALurker94
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
If you trust the seller, then why would you feel you need to get more opinions?
Just have a paranoia about these things.
Old 20 November 2017, 02:12 AM   #9
RichardF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustALurker94 View Post
So I am planning on buying a Rolex watch (customized with tiny diamonds) from Beckertime. I asked him if Rolex would approve of it as genuine if I sent it to them to which he replied:
Rolex will not approve of this Rolex because it has a custom refinished diamond dial. If it is important to have Rolex approval, you can only purchase a Rolex that is 100% Rolex. Rolex considers any watch that has been customized to no longer be an original Rolex. Rolex will not approve or service any Rolex that has been customized.
Is this accurate? Do Rolex consider customized watches as non-genuine? If so is there any other way I can get it checked if its real or not, that is the Rolex watch? Don't get me wrong I fully trust Beckertime; I just have a paranoia when it comes to counterfeits.
If you were to purchase and send in this watch to Rolex you can count on Rolex seizing the dial. It does not matter if the dial plate is an actual Rolex part. Since the dial has been refinished with the Rolex logo added it becomes counterfeit as far as they are concerned. Rolex is serious about enforcing trademark infringement and keeping their brand up to their factory standard and design.
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 02:54 AM   #10
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Don't buy a watch with aftermarket parts. It will end up in a disappointment. What seems like a good deal probably isn't.
Refinished dial ? No clear statement on originality of bracelet ?
Enough to make you run, or at least it should

Buying from a trustworthy seller will eliminate the need for having it checked or verified.
Do a search on trusted sellers here and you will find many of them.
Closer to home on the Dutch Rolexforums you'll find trusted sellers as well, check out the banners.
Old 20 November 2017, 03:21 AM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Rolex probably won't touch a watch with aftermarket parts, so we usually advise you convert the watch back to original spec before hand, and so having these as part of the original sale is ideal. Otherwise use a verified independent with good feedback.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 03:57 AM   #12
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
As a fan of Rolex "dress" watches DDs and DJs, this is a HUGE problem on the used market. These molested dials and bezels are EVERYWHERE. Personally I would NEVER consider buying one under any circumstances. It just ruins it for me.
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 07:41 AM   #13
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
it is likely less valuable unless the modification said “tiffany” and it was from tiffanys.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote