The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 November 2017, 09:16 AM   #1
Cjlnyu24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss Z blue
Rolex Milgauss z blue

Hi all,

Just signed up for the forum. Was hoping for some help as I am very new to watches. I really like the Rolex Milgauss z Blue, and id like to get one. I’m going to need an extra link to fit comfortably. I’ve never owned a watch before and am drawn to the Milgauss as it seems versatile enough to wear every day. I’m hoping to keep it as long as I live and then leave it to my son. There are so many online options but I’m wary of getting duped and not having the Rolex manufacturer warranty if something goes wrong. Where I live in WI there are three ADs in the state. I’ve only talked to one who said they wouldn’t negotiate at all off 8200 msrp, and that the price fe Rolex would be going up in feb. I haven’t tried he other two yet.

I’m seeing it online from anywhere from 6-8k, I want the watch brand new, and I want to get the best possible price, as this is a major purchase for our family. Any direction you could provide as to best way to buy Rolex, warranty issues and what to expect (Rolex’s are supposed to be extremely reliable right), if it’s worth it to use the AD even if they don’t discount, etc.

I really like the watch but am feeling overwhelmed by all the online options and would appreciate any/all feedback.

Thanks!!
Cjlnyu24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 09:43 AM   #2
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Check out the “for sale” section, then reference the seller in the “who’s who” section. Many trusted sellers here on TRF, and new or almost new Milgauss’ can be found. If the “AD experience is worth $1,500, buy at the dealer.

Old 19 November 2017, 10:09 AM   #3
Cjlnyu24
"TRF" Member

Thanks!
Old 19 November 2017, 10:18 AM   #4
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
This is indeed a huge purchase. If you are buying one and ONLY on watch (Rolex) you may want to go with something more classic and a bit more neutral color wise. I have owned the z blue and wasn't happy with the blue dial/green crystal. Of course this is my opinion and yours may differ. You may really like it now, but do take into consideration there's no date function and you may grow tired of the dial crystal combination. I love the milgauss case and thickness, and would suggest either the original GV (black dial/green crystal) or take a good look at a datejust 41. Either way good luck with your decision and enjoy whatever you choose
Watchgeek5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 10:19 AM   #5
jbreeden
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
A few things I would offer,
Be sure you know what you are getting into with polished center links, if you are OCD you can drive yourself crazy, just use the search bar and type in PLC. Nothing wrong with them at all it just deserves a warning.
With the jitters it may be worth buying from an AD, a little more money but knowing you bought genuine, having a place to go with a problem if there is one, etc can be worth it
If you need an extra link I would order it first so you have it and can instant gratification when you purchase or receive the watch.
As for reliability, that is up to the owner and how they define it, your watch technically should be service every seven to ten years at least, they are not perfect is will always be loosing or gaining time, minor by standards but new owners can be disturbed their 8k watch gained 7 seconds in a day so be prepared.
Lastly, once you do it you will never regret it and will want to do it again.
Btw nice taste in your pick.
jbreeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 10:23 AM   #6
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
The watch will still have a warranty if you don't buy it from an AD.

Get your best price from a trusted seller here and take that number shopping with you. If the AD can't/won't match it, then make a move.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 10:27 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Research trusted sellers here like davidsw, if you can't get 10% off from any AD then go with a TS.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 10:27 AM   #8
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex(4),15400
It’s a beautiful first watch. It was my first Rolex and I love it. The dial is absolutely stunning and the green crystal is icying on the cake. The proportions and thickness and weight of the watch are amazing. It has great presence on the wrist and wears comfortably. It is an avant garde time piece and not a fan favorite but to me that’s what makes it all that much more special. As far as pricing goes I’m sure one of the trusted sellers on TRF here has a brand new one for sale. Good luck on a fun journey :)
Bruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 10:35 AM   #9
Cjlnyu24
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the great feedback. I know that it is unique in the Rolex lineup and that the color scheme is not for everyone, but that is part of the reason I'm drawn to it. My wife who is notoriously hard to impress and is generally considered by all to have good taste likes it, which makes me feel better. :)

So what is the best way to find out if a trusted seller is offering this new? I'd like to post on the "watch wanted" thread but I'm too new to do so. If I buy from a trusted seller on the forum, I will get the benefit of the 5 year manufacturer warranty correct?

thanks again this is extremely helpful information to have!
Old 19 November 2017, 11:10 AM   #10
JohnFair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
You didn't say how you talked to the AD, but from what I read on the forum, AD's will always tell you that the price is the retail price over the phone. This maybe a Rolex requirement to be an AD.

I bought my two watches from an AD because they sized the band. Also I like instant gratification and I really enjoy the negotiating.

My purchases started with researching internet prices from trusted sellers. Add a little for state sales tax then come up with a prices range I want to pay. Walk into the AD, tell them exactly the watch I what and the price I will pay out the door. I am always ready to walk away if they won't play.
Old 19 November 2017, 11:36 AM   #11
Cjlnyu24
"TRF" Member

Hey John,

I haven't done this yet, but it sounds like a good strategy and certainly can't hurt. There are three AD's in Wisconsin that are relatively close by, so I think I will try that.

thanks!
Old 19 November 2017, 01:55 PM   #12
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Great watch Chris!!

John is certainly correct. It is best to go in person with the range and negotiate.

This particular reference is a niche market so the power is more in your favour than the AD. They will never admit that but it is true.

I would expect 15% to be very reasonable.

I think you will find that ADs are more willing to discuss closing a deal on this model than most other sport pieces.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 03:23 PM   #13
Cjlnyu24
"TRF" Member

Thanks Muzz, that is good news and I will plan on deploying that strategy at the local AD!
Old 19 November 2017, 05:05 PM   #14
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjlnyu24 View Post
Thanks Muzz, that is good news and I will plan on deploying that strategy at the local AD!
Wonderful Chris!!

I think in person you will be pleasantly surprised with their willingness to work with you on this model.

The hype has cooled and the market is stabilized so there should be no supply/demand issues as with some other models.

I am certain between the local ADs you will be successful.

Please do factor in the tax when negotiating the price.

Looking forward to hearing about your success soon!!
Old 19 November 2017, 10:27 PM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Would have worked well three months ago but Rolex are tight now so if your AD has caught the bug he won't budge. Up in snowy Wisconsin you might still get lucky.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 10:33 PM   #16
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Would have worked well three months ago but Rolex are tight now so if your AD has caught the bug he won't budge. Up in snowy Wisconsin you might still get lucky.
Not so much on that model in the US Neil. Even here with my AD contacts I do remarkably well on that piece discount wise.

That is the one piece I see in every airport duty free.

I think as you pointed out Chris’s location should make it easy even without a history with an AD.

Wishing him the best!!
Old 20 November 2017, 05:09 AM   #17
Cjlnyu24
"TRF" Member

Muzz what is your best guess for the most the AD would discount this watch... 20%? I was thinking I’d go in cash in hand with an all in number (including tax and the extra link I need). Was going to start with $6900 all in, msrp being 8200 and see what happened. Do you think that number is realistic for this watch? Am I low/high? You seem to have a lot of expertise with the Milgauss, and I certainly appreciate your insight/feedback.

Thanks!
Old 21 November 2017, 06:04 AM   #18
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

tried to shoot you a PM on a referral if you are going AD route
Old 21 November 2017, 06:12 AM   #19
A.I.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
LOVE this watch. Blue dial and Green glass is a great combo. BY A MILE is the most comfortable watch I have owned.

Don't go past David SW. Congratulations in advance.
A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 06:26 AM   #20
HONDABBQ
"TRF" Member

This thread needs some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HONDABBQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 10:21 AM   #21
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Muzz what is your best guess for the most the AD would discount this watch... 20%? I was thinking I’d go in cash in hand with an all in number (including tax and the extra link I need). Was going to start with $6900 all in, msrp being 8200 and see what happened. Do you think that number is realistic for this watch? Am I low/high? You seem to have a lot of expertise with the Milgauss, and I certainly appreciate your insight/feedback.

Thanks!
Hi Chris;

I know last year that would have been no problem. I still think you on the right path with a particular number in mind.

Best you can do is give it a shot!!

The issue may be the extra link as they will most likely have to order one.

Wishing you success!!!
Old 21 November 2017, 10:31 AM   #22
The_Watch_Clocker
Banned

the magic number for this watch is under 7k.

for bnib - the lower the $ under 7k is where you jump in and buy it.

from a trusted seller on this forum is a good idea.
The_Watch_Clocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 11:37 AM   #23
Tigerlily
"TRF" Member

I love the green crystal of the Milgauss. It is almost an unexpected detail. A friend of mine has one, and when the sunlight hits it just right the green really shines.
Tigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 12:00 PM   #24
JBoone
"TRF" Member

Saw one in the wild today. I don’t see many nice watches out and about. I actually noticed the PCL oyster bracelet first and caught a glimpse of green sapphire after. Very nice
JBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 10:41 AM   #25
Cjlnyu24
"TRF" Member

Great AD referral from ocwatching that I plan on checking out. Thanks to all for the great advice and feedback, this forum has been an invaluable resource so far.
Old 2 February 2018, 06:11 AM   #26
Cjlnyu24
"TRF" Member

Got it!! Phil from this forum gave me a great referral to an ad on the west coast and it was shipped today!! Thanks again Phil ��
Old 6 February 2018, 10:35 AM   #27
Cjlnyu24
"TRF" Member

Still haven’t figured out how to post picture...
Old 6 February 2018, 12:19 PM   #28
SpyShopsNYC
"TRF" Member

I loved the blue Milgauss as well, after seeing it in person, I leaned more towards the black dial.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SpyShopsNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2018, 04:09 AM   #29
Jr3352
"TRF" Member

Hi, I'm looking for the same watch. Can you send me PM me details, I'm in Arizona.
Thanks,
Jr3352 is offline   Reply With Quote