The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 October 2014, 08:27 PM   #31
Roger1079
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
.. wouldn't even let you in?? .... That's really sad! Can't imagine based on what ground they won't let you in! ... That's is so rude!! .. Kyu you should complain to IWC's HQ!
Well it's better than my experience at the Ulysse Nardin boutique in Boca Raton FL a while back.

I walked in and was the only person in the store. A sales associate actually locked the door behind me, locking me in. I asked why I was being locked in and pointed the salesman to the text on the door that clearly stated "Door is to remain unlocked during business hours." He proceeded to tell me that the insurance company was requiring it due to a couple incidents with people running out with watches.I explained that OSHA requires that exits remain unlocked and unobstructed during business hours. I explained that it is for the safety of both employees and customers and was also certainly a violation of mall policy to lock the door with customers inside. He smugly said "When OSHA and the mall want to be responsible for an $89,000 timepiece running out the door, that he would gladly leave the door unlocked, but until such time if I wanted to be in their store, I would have to accept the way they operate." He then asks why I am so concerned about the door being locked as if he was making the implication that I may be looking to steal something. He obviously was missing the point that what he was doing was a violation of federal safety regulations. Rather than saying anything further, I politely asked to be let out and never looked back. I would much prefer being locked out than locked in.

Granted I was dressed casually and their watches are very expensive, but the behavior and tone was completely unnecessary. I stopped in to satisfy my curiosity as I had never really given the company much notice before and wanted to see if I saw anything of interest. My tone was also never hostile or argumentative. The experience guaranteed that I will likely never buy a Ulysse Nardin timepiece. Unless it was a manager or store director I spoke with, the employee had to be on commission. It is just beyond comprehension to me how people who rely on sales to make or break their salary behave like this. Had he just explained the situation rather than immediately becoming argumentative, I would have overlooked the door being locked and browsed around. Not saying I would have bought anything, but his actions guaranteed that I would buy nothing before I even got a chance to look.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2014, 08:49 PM   #32
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Who takes a personal check when buying a car
Who have seen a "good fake".
Old 24 October 2014, 10:28 PM   #33
Progman2000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronus4 View Post
Did you actually ask to see any watches or try on any watches (other than the one your wife asked the price of)? Your story makes it sound like you were hinting at them and hoping that they would ask you if you would like to try on watches. Anytime I've gone to an AD and asked to try on a specific watch, I've never been turned down. I also don't expect the sales person to read my mind and pull watches from the case for me to try on. I make eye contact and ask what I'd like to see. But that's just me....
+1 - Did you actually ask to see one of them?

These kind of complaint threads always crack me up - it doesn't sound like she denied showing you a watch, you never asked to see one. Maybe this lady is going through a divorce, or dealing with cancer, or just lost her companion dog - whatever, at that moment she was not anticipating your non spoken request. To me the AD salesperson simply represents the key to the case where the watches I want to see are, I couldn't care less if they think I'm a low life or not able to afford the watch or any of the other things people here get insulted by. The very fact that they are on the hourly wage side of selling me the watch tells me everything I need to know about where they stand in comparison to me on the socio-economic ladder.

If that experience qualifies as "Horrible" to you than consider yourself lucky.
Progman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2014, 10:34 PM   #34
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:

My car dealer did. I guess they can verify finds on the spot now.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2014, 10:39 PM   #35
Rolex king 68
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5074P
Similar situation at Torneau stores NYC
Rolex king 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2014, 10:46 PM   #36
bradj
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN 116613LB
Thats odd... I've had great service at Russell Korman's in the past. But I've been in dozen's of watch stores and like someone mentioned.. you definitely get profiled for your appearance some days.

RK does have a great selection to browse too... shame.
bradj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2014, 10:55 PM   #37
mfnj
2024 Pledge Member

Another perspective...Sometimes when I go into an AD I just want to browse the displays without being "pestered" by various sales personnel as I make my way through the store asking if they can help. When I want to see something I will specifically ask to see what it is I am interested in. Perhaps this salesperson was just giving you some space until you were ready to see something specific.

I tend to cut them some slack and always treat them in a friendly manner which always seems to work, at least for me. I can only imagine some of the people that come into their stores that they have to deal with!
mfnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2014, 11:02 PM   #38
Kyu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116759SANR
Quote:
If I am buying a watch, I usually goes shopping without a watch.. I am the kind who buy it and wear it now kinda person. �� .. jen
Haha I do The same !! When I go in to buy a watch I take whatever I was wearing off.

Quote:
.. wouldn't even let you in?? .... That's really sad! Can't imagine based on what ground they won't let you in! ... That's is so rude!! .. Kyu you should complain to IWC's HQ!
Yeah made me feel pretty crappy lol, I was 25? 26? Back then so I thought maybe it was my age ?

I actually didn't have to, LV that is down the street knows how much I love watches. The manager that is responsible for so cal for IWC used to work for LV.
So when I explained why I'd never shop for an IWC they were stunned.. they called his cell and asked Me if its alright to give my number to him, I said sure but I still won't buy an IWC
I think for about an year ? I would get random calls that I'd screen and vmail of apologies. I spoke with him before, he said they were doing a red carpet opening at southcoast and would appreciate if I would accept their invitation up to 6 guests including me. And if its alright to mail me some goodies from IWC and related brands
I turned him down respectfully, And that it won't be necessary.
If it was goodies from Rolex.. I would have accepted it right away and forgive
Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2014, 11:12 PM   #39
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
When I was in highschool I worked part-time in a jewelry store that sold high end collections. Three times a year this disshoveled, paint stained, younger man would come to the store (Christmas, birthday, and anniversary) and browse. After ten minutes or so, he would pull from five to ten thousand dollars in cash from his pocket and point to an item. From that day on, I made sure I treated everyone the same. This was in the 70s, a lot of money; a Rolex President was a little over $7000.
A few salesmen told me to look at a customers watch and shoes to see if they are serious buyers, but I learned for myself, that this was not the way to treat potential customers.
This also reminds me about the time my mother wanted to see a purse in Saks Fifth Avenue, and the salespeople appeared uninterested, so see shouted, "You do work here, don't you?"
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2014, 11:25 PM   #40
REDiesel
"TRF" Member

Watch: GV 18038 DJ Smurf
Quote:
I have bought several cars with just a personal check, or a check and clear title.

My parents bought an Audi 5000s in 1986 while visiting family out of state in Nashville and the dealer told my dad to mail him a check when he got back home.

Back on topic - AD's I go in are always nice and offer a beverage (water usually) and are willing to pull anything out we may be interested in. The last AD I was in was like "oh you have to try this on, and see what you think of this".

I was in an Omega AD recently and they were top notch offered my beer, wine, scotch, and when I joked I'm more of a bourbon guy I swear they were thinking of how to get some before I told them I don't really drink. Plus they were really into watches.
REDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2014, 11:46 PM   #41
otisc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV HULK
I don't think we were profiled. I was wearing Tommy Bahama and a Corum watch, my wife is always dressed smart, and came in to reset a 2ct diamond and had on her Rolex.

The Rolex dealer and Ben Bridge was great. Whipped out the green pad and was taking out watches left and right - he wanted a sale. Offered me a drink. Couldn't have been nicer. The folks at RK couldn't be bothered to get off their phones or stop their intra-employee conversations to help us. And the woman who jockeyed the Rolex counter at RK had no interest in if we bought or left. I will go back one more day, because they had quite the impressive selection... will report back.
otisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2014, 11:47 PM   #42
raky
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sky-Dweller
I had a great experience with the new AD in Houston's Galleria Mall. I went there with my wife and baby in tow and had no issues. The saleswoman complimented me on my GMT and was very helpful in showing my wife several watches. I ultimately bought from a trusted seller here, but if I was buying new and wanted to use an AD, they for sure would get my business.
raky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2014, 11:58 PM   #43
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1079 View Post
Well it's better than my experience at the Ulysse Nardin boutique in Boca Raton FL a while back.

I walked in and was the only person in the store. A sales associate actually locked the door behind me, locking me in. I asked why I was being locked in and pointed the salesman to the text on the door that clearly stated "Door is to remain unlocked during business hours." He proceeded to tell me that the insurance company was requiring it due to a couple incidents with people running out with watches.I explained that OSHA requires that exits remain unlocked and unobstructed during business hours. I explained that it is for the safety of both employees and customers and was also certainly a violation of mall policy to lock the door with customers inside. He smugly said "When OSHA and the mall want to be responsible for an $89,000 timepiece running out the door, that he would gladly leave the door unlocked, but until such time if I wanted to be in their store, I would have to accept the way they operate." He then asks why I am so concerned about the door being locked as if he was making the implication that I may be looking to steal something. He obviously was missing the point that what he was doing was a violation of federal safety regulations. Rather than saying anything further, I politely asked to be let out and never looked back. I would much prefer being locked out than locked in.

Granted I was dressed casually and their watches are very expensive, but the behavior and tone was completely unnecessary. I stopped in to satisfy my curiosity as I had never really given the company much notice before and wanted to see if I saw anything of interest. My tone was also never hostile or argumentative. The experience guaranteed that I will likely never buy a Ulysse Nardin timepiece. Unless it was a manager or store director I spoke with, the employee had to be on commission. It is just beyond comprehension to me how people who rely on sales to make or break their salary behave like this. Had he just explained the situation rather than immediately becoming argumentative, I would have overlooked the door being locked and browsed around. Not saying I would have bought anything, but his actions guaranteed that I would buy nothing before I even got a chance to look.
Some of the boutiques (I'm looking at you AP NYC) have double doors that effectively trap you in between until one of the doors closes. Meaning, no way to make a quick escape if you were to bolt.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 12:03 AM   #44
jack81
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICI View Post
I disagree.

A showcase is a showcase.

If a salesperson doesn't want to do their job, they shouldn't be there.

Regardless of the wasted energy, it's their job to be respectful to prospective clients and honor their requests.
X2. Couldnt agree with you more.
jack81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 12:33 AM   #45
jwill051
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710,116619
Quote:
I always pay for a new car with a personal check never been an issue
jwill051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 12:34 AM   #46
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwill051 View Post

Duffel bag for me :):):)
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 12:51 AM   #47
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
I have actually been treated great at my AD. Even the sales people that don't know me are always quick to ask if I need help or if they can show me anything. I guess it just depends on the store.

But profiling will always happen, sorry you got treated that way.
Old 25 October 2014, 01:10 AM   #48
viper9669
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Horrible trip to the AD.

I can understand the sentiment of the OP.

There was one Rolex AD I went to and I wanted to take a closer look at one of their watches that was displayed in the showcase.

The elderly sales manager took a look at me and told me the watches looked the same whether in the display case or handled personally....

What the heck was that? That incident still baffles me today 😧
viper9669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 01:13 AM   #49
REDiesel
"TRF" Member

Watch: GV 18038 DJ Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper9669 View Post
I can understand the sentiment of the OP.

There was one Rolex AD I went to and I wanted to take a closer look at one of their watches that was displayed in the showcase.

The elderly sales manager took a look at me and told me the watches looked the same whether in the display case or handled personally....

What the heck was that? That incident still baffles me today.
Applying his logic I'd have thanked him for saving me from actually purchasing it and left.
REDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 01:15 AM   #50
viper9669
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDiesel View Post
Applying his logic I'd have thanked him for saving me from actually purchasing it and left.

That's a good way of dealing with strange AD managers who don't like to sell watches👍
viper9669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 01:16 AM   #51
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Watch: the shoes.
Everyone should just shop on TRF. ;chuckle: im kidding but ive had that happen a bunch of times. I never heard about a store not letting someone in though!! Wtf is that how do they make any moneys?

Sent from my Motorola Razor
Silvio Mosiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 01:16 AM   #52
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
This is an insightful post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progman2000 View Post

These kind of complaint threads always crack me up - it doesn't sound like she denied showing you a watch, you never asked to see one. Maybe this lady is going through a divorce, or dealing with cancer, or just lost her companion dog - whatever, at that moment she was not anticipating your non spoken request. To me the AD salesperson simply represents the key to the case where the watches I want to see are, I couldn't care less if they think I'm a low life or not able to afford the watch or any of the other things people here get insulted by. The very fact that they are on the hourly wage side of selling me the watch tells me everything I need to know about where they stand in comparison to me on the socio-economic ladder.

locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 01:25 AM   #53
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Tell your mom, "well played."

My wife generally carries a well-known, very expensive hand-bag (large Birkin, or her Kelly) so if she accompanies me into an luxe store whether in Paris or the Upper East Side, we get treated very well.

When I'm am on my own, well, that is another story, although I am usually treated well on average. But I have encountered a snob or two throughout the years,, usually in small privately-owned boutiques when I'm gift-shopping, and I know how to deal with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
When I was in highschool I worked part-time in a jewelry store that sold high end collections. Three times a year this disshoveled, paint stained, younger man would come to the store (Christmas, birthday, and anniversary) and browse. After ten minutes or so, he would pull from five to ten thousand dollars in cash from his pocket and point to an item. From that day on, I made sure I treated everyone the same. This was in the 70s, a lot of money; a Rolex President was a little over $7000.
A few salesmen told me to look at a customers watch and shoes to see if they are serious buyers, but I learned for myself, that this was not the way to treat potential customers.
This also reminds me about the time my mother wanted to see a purse in Saks Fifth Avenue, and the salespeople appeared uninterested, so see shouted, "You do work here, don't you?"
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 01:28 AM   #54
marfaboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Whats the name so I can avoid it.

I'm not the OP, but I do live in beautiful Austin, Texas. If Wilson's was across the street, then the offending AD was Russell Korman's on Burnet Road.
marfaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 01:29 AM   #55
Rzani
Banned

Watch: BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progman2000 View Post

When I had this experience it wasn't horrible, but it was offensive. It simply felt rude and unprofessional. I guess you have to experience it first hand. For me it was their entire attitude. It was an attitude that said who the hell are you to be walking into my store and want me to actually show you a watch. I mean, at least act a little interested in a possible transaction. I'm not sure they have to anticipate a non spoken request; they sell watches and you are looking at watches what else do they think might happen? If they can't muster up a simple "which watch are you interested in" then they have failed at their job. I always ask to see what I want to see, but in that one experience I had it was almost as though her body language and attitude said don't ask I don't want to get a watch out for you so please just leave.

I have a business and if I saw one of my sales guys with this attitude they would be out of a job that very day, unless by the very slim chance they were going through a very difficult personal problem like you mentioned.
Rzani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 01:31 AM   #56
OmgItsJoe
Banned

Watch: 14060
It is a humbling feeling when one is profiled and assumed that he/she doesnt belong in a store or can't afford the items there ??

If ever I felt that way I will simply choose to walk out and take my business elsewhere ? Thank God I've never had that kind of service or bad treatment !?

Kinda reminds me of the scene with Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman when she wasn't cared for it the expensive clothing store on Beverly Hills Driver but returned with Richard Gere who kaaaching took well care of the bill !?
OmgItsJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 01:32 AM   #57
Kyu
"TRF" Member

Well Vegas boutiques treat me well, cause I wear my WG GMT in Vegas, every boutique I walk into the sales eyes sparkle more than the SANR's diamonds

So shallow -_-
Old 25 October 2014, 02:33 AM   #58
ZeKe
"TRF" Member

Watch: Grandpa's Tissot
I've had great experiences in San Antonio, Tx. Lee Michael's and the Omega boutique @ La Cantera are great. Last time I visited I was just looking around (I let them know as soon as I walk in) and they were still very polite and engaging eventhough I walked in a T shirt and dirty running sneakers.

I think AD should be friendly to everyone; having a friendly environment is good for business. However, there will always be unpolite people EVERYWHERE and that's fine...I just wouln't EVER spend my money there.
ZeKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 02:39 AM   #59
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwill051 View Post
Some very trusting dealers I guess. I could not buy a coke with a personal check in NY. I have bought 3 vehicles in the last year and all were certified check only, not even Visa (though to be fair that is probably due to the fees).
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 02:40 AM   #60
Kyu
"TRF" Member

If anyone is ever in Beverly hills. There is a small store Beverly hills watch, they're very good with service and working deals with u.
Ask for Armen and say Kyu sent u

Treat u like family with honest opinions