The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 October 2014, 03:26 AM   #61
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
That's a shame...I was in Austin earlier this year and had a great experience at a place called Russell Korman. I hope this isn't the place you were talking about in your post...
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 03:48 AM   #62
doubleinfive
"TRF" Member

When I visit an AD, I don't want to be bothered by salespeople who know less than I do, so I don't mind them giving me space. If I want to try something on, then I get their attention. Otherwise, I want to be left alone to peruse their inventory.
doubleinfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 04:01 AM   #63
Dvenus11
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 2
Theres a couple ADs in LA like that.
Dvenus11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 04:07 AM   #64
RFX45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Some of the boutiques (I'm looking at you AP NYC) have double doors that effectively trap you in between until one of the doors closes. Meaning, no way to make a quick escape if you were to bolt.
A handful of ADs in my area has either a double door and they also automatically lock and they have to manually unlock the doors if you are coming in or leaving.
RFX45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 05:04 AM   #65
TCB
"TRF" Member

The last AD I was in was a brand new store in Memphis. I was dressed nicely (business casual) since I had a meeting at a restaurant in the same shopping center. I was greeted nicely and when the clerk asked if I needed help I explained that I was from Knoxville and just killing a bit of time before the meeting. The guy I talked to - later learned he was the manager - told me about their store, asked me if I'd like a glass of wine, mentioned my GMT, and proceeded to show me several watches from the case without asking. I tried on the BLNR, Platona, and DSSD. We talked about watches and I mentioned having just arranged to purchase a DJII for myself for Christmas at my local AD. I think he would've taken out every watch they had if I'd asked.

If I didn't have an AD at home that I really like, I'd definitely go back for future purchases.

Last edited by TCB; 25 October 2014 at 05:04 AM.. Reason: .
TCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 06:40 AM   #66
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
After reading dozens of these stories on TRF, I'm calling BS

If the sales people are all over you, like at the Big T, we complain. If they leave you alone we complain. Jeesh...

If I wanted to try a watch on, I'd say "let me try that on...."

Now, if they said "no" you'd have a different compliant.
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 06:45 AM   #67
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Good points. Maybe people expect Rolex sales people to be more deferential and attentive.

I look at it this way: they are under-paid and doing the best they can. Some are cut out to be in sales, some not. I try to work with them the best I can. I figure that maybe my positive attitude will rub off on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post

If the sales people are all over you, like at the Big T, we complain. If they leave you alone we complain. Jeesh...

locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 07:44 AM   #68
RFX45
"TRF" Member

Key is balance. If you enter a store and not even get a greeting then they are off to a bad start.

On the other hand, if they use pressure and make you feel like you can't afford it or are just way too pushy, then that isn't good either.

Customers also has different preferences and good sales people can adjust on the fly depending on the customer that enters the store, while some associates just don't care and that is at times why it becomes uncomfortable to some buyers.

Retail is a tricky business.

Quote:

RFX45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 07:52 AM   #69
texex91
"TRF" Member

Just one more reason I never buy in Austin.

Service as a whole in Austin (and I've lived here 22 years) is pretty poor. I've just come to expect that, and more surprised when I actually receive good service.

That's why we are lucky to have Trusted TRF resellers...great price AND service
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 08:03 AM   #70
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:

Yup, no bad AD's or sales people. Just bad customers.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 08:19 AM   #71
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysondiver View Post
never judge a book by its cover ,,, etc ,, people tend to though.
you would have thought the sales person would have been glad to talk to someone , even if it was only to pass the time ,,,,,,
+1

Some of the wealthiest people I know, you definitely cannot tell and will never guess how wealthy they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
When I was in highschool I worked part-time in a jewelry store that sold high end collections. Three times a year this disshoveled, paint stained, younger man would come to the store (Christmas, birthday, and anniversary) and browse. After ten minutes or so, he would pull from five to ten thousand dollars in cash from his pocket and point to an item. From that day on, I made sure I treated everyone the same. This was in the 70s, a lot of money; a Rolex President was a little over $7000.
A few salesmen told me to look at a customers watch and shoes to see if they are serious buyers, but I learned for myself, that this was not the way to treat potential customers.
This also reminds me about the time my mother wanted to see a purse in Saks Fifth Avenue, and the salespeople appeared uninterested, so see shouted, "You do work here, don't you?"
If they look at my shoes, they'll probably lock the doors and not let me in I am just not a shoe guy. I am more for comfort than style when it comes to shoe. Total opposite of my wife. She'll wear these heels where a few hours into a party, she will no longer able to stand.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 08:45 AM   #72
locutus49
Banned

Kyu, get Silvio to teach you how to dress like him. He looks very sharp and I'm sure that guarantees him excellent service. How you dress does make a difference, even if it shouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyu View Post
Well Vegas boutiques treat me well, cause I wear my WG GMT in Vegas, every boutique I walk into the sales eyes sparkle more than the SANR's diamonds

So shallow -_-
Old 25 October 2014, 08:58 AM   #73
Rzani
Banned

Watch: BLRO
Quote:
Yup, no bad AD's or sales people. Just bad customers.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
x2
Rzani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 09:00 AM   #74
metooxx
"TRF" Member

Reminds me of a time about thirty years ago when I was in a more down to earth business, building restaurants.

We had just received the final payment on a once in a lifetime job that we made a killing on. My partner and I decided to buy ourselves two very expensive luxury cars. Trouble was it was raining, muddy and we were a bit untidy. Went into a car dealer on a weekday afternoon with about ten salesmen standing around. Would not give us the time of day. After about an hour of being ignored; the whole while we were finding it more and more amusing, we went to the service desk and asked the young lady if we could talk to the GM. She called him down and we told him the situation. An hour and a half later we drove out with two cars and the best deal I ever got on a car. Very sad looks on his sales staff.

And we paid with a company check...
metooxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 09:09 AM   #75
locutus49
Banned

Score!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metooxx View Post
Reminds me of a time about thirty years ago when I was in a more down to earth business, building restaurants.

We had just received the final payment on a once in a lifetime job that we made a killing on. My partner and I decided to buy ourselves two very expensive luxury cars. Trouble was it was raining, muddy and we were a bit untidy. Went into a car dealer on a weekday afternoon with about ten salesmen standing around. Would not give us the time of day. After about an hour of being ignored; the whole while we were finding it more and more amusing, we went to the service desk and asked the young lady if we could talk to the GM. She called him down and we told him the situation. An hour and a half later we drove out with two cars and the best deal I ever got on a car. Very sad looks on his sales staff.

And we paid with a company check...
Old 25 October 2014, 09:31 AM   #76
metooxx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Score!!!
The GM was so pissed I think he might have actually loss money on the sale. He was also the owner. We found it very amusing.

Now that I am older I like the service I get from dressing right as opposed to having a good laugh at their expense.
Old 25 October 2014, 10:10 AM   #77
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
Sorry for your experience. I have never been treated this way.
Old 25 October 2014, 10:15 AM   #78
locutus49
Banned

Me too. Dress is just another negotiating trick in the arsenal.

I like to dress sharp anyway, so I'll even wear a sports jacket, dress shirt with ascot, and jeans, which definitely catches the attention of the help. It cracks my wife up, but the ascot, if wore with jeans, and a nice blazer, really sends a message. I wear one all the time in Europe, as do many others, but in the US it is rare outside the wealthy parts of NYC, LA, Boca, Palm Beach, etc. Several years ago a guy asked if I was an actor???!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metooxx View Post
The GM was so pissed I think he might have actually loss money on the sale. He was also the owner. We found it very amusing.

Now that I am older I like the service I get from dressing right as opposed to having a good laugh at their expense.
Old 25 October 2014, 10:26 AM   #79
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Ive seen a few people wearing an ascot, Ive never actually heard anyone admit to wearing one.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 10:32 AM   #80
OmgItsJoe
Banned

Watch: 14060
I gotta admit that I actually just Googled " ascot " !?!:

Sent from my HTC One_M8
OmgItsJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 10:32 AM   #81
metooxx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerdj View Post
If you can write the check you have the last laugh.
Old 25 October 2014, 10:34 AM   #82
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerdj View Post
Me either
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 10:37 AM   #83
metooxx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Me too. Dress is just another negotiating trick in the arsenal.

I like to dress sharp anyway, so I'll even wear a sports jacket, dress shirt with ascot, and jeans, which definitely catches the attention of the help. It cracks my wife up, but the ascot, if wore with jeans, and a nice blazer, really sends a message. I wear one all the time in Europe, as do many others, but in the US it is rare outside the wealthy parts of NYC, LA, Boca, Palm Beach, etc. Several years ago a guy asked if I was an actor???!!!
Never tried an ascot but I do wear regular inexpensive Levis with a custom shirt, cufflinks, expensive sport coat, pocket square and English shoes. I have some friends that spent too much of their careers in London call it my Euro trash look.
Old 25 October 2014, 10:54 AM   #84
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Another reason youse TrF trusted sellers...
Old 25 October 2014, 11:37 AM   #85
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
Me either
Yea I don't get it. I dress like a bum and am treated wonderfully ever where I go. Might have to do with how I treat other people, or else I look stupid and they feel sorry for me.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 12:22 PM   #86
Micha
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263, 1675
Quote:
Who takes a personal check when buying a car
if your credit rating is high...no problem
Old 25 October 2014, 01:15 PM   #87
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

I really have no idea what this is all about...

When I go to an AD to buy a watch, I wear like...normal people clothes.

I don't wear a tuxedo.

I also don't look like I just came out of the swamp...either on purpose to challenge the sales staff (which is ridiculous), or because I was in the swamp and I suddenly had the need to go immediately to my AD and buy a Rolex while leaving a trail of filth behind me...

I wear a watch that I won't mind putting in the new watch's box, because I will be wearing the NEW watch out of the store.....so I don't wear my bestest and nicest to show off to the sales staff that I've got the right stuff....lol

I walk in the store, find what I want. I tell the salesperson that I would like to see the watch I'm after. I check it out for problems and issues. I ignore any and all sales pitches politely....I know more about the watch than the salesperson...BUT they will not know that I do..again...I'm not there to play "gotcha" or challenge the sales staff over product knowledge. I won't show anybody up and then immediately come on the forum and report on how dopey the AD salesperson is...

Once I determine the watch is up to snuff, I'll start negotiating. If we agree on price, I'll buy it. If we can't agree on price....I'll politely say thank you and leave without any hard feelings.

I'm never disappointed by an AD because I don't expect anything. No red carpet, no product knowledge training....just have what I'm looking for in stock and have someone with a pulse to process the transaction.

That being said, I cannot fathom why there is all this drama being written about on these forums about AD experiences???
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 02:01 PM   #88
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Watch: the shoes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
Yea I don't get it. I dress like a bum and am treated wonderfully ever where I go. Might have to do with how I treat other people, or else I look stupid and they feel sorry for me.

Do you walk around holding a cup? Maybe they think your homeless too

Sent from my Motorola Razor
Silvio Mosiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 02:45 PM   #89
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progman2000 View Post
+1 - Did you actually ask to see one of them?

These kind of complaint threads always crack me up - it doesn't sound like she denied showing you a watch, you never asked to see one. Maybe this lady is going through a divorce, or dealing with cancer, or just lost her companion dog - whatever, at that moment she was not anticipating your non spoken request. To me the AD salesperson simply represents the key to the case where the watches I want to see are, I couldn't care less if they think I'm a low life or not able to afford the watch or any of the other things people here get insulted by. The very fact that they are on the hourly wage side of selling me the watch tells me everything I need to know about where they stand in comparison to me on the socio-economic ladder.

If that experience qualifies as "Horrible" to you than consider yourself lucky.
Progman2000,

Doesn’t matter what the sales person is going through in life. They are at work and as such need to conduct themselves accordingly and offer to assist.

As far as saying you know where the hourly wage earner compares to you on the socio-economic ladder is about as arrogant a thing I’ve heard in my 59 years. I am one of those people who ended up on a list of California retirees whose pensions pay $100k a year but you’d never know it when I occasionally step in to help make sandwiches at a buddy’s deli.

I’d be careful comparing yourself to anyone in the working class, you never know who’s going to be there.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 03:57 PM   #90
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
That sounds like a terrible experience, glad the local store that treated you well has a new customer

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote