The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 August 2015, 12:42 PM   #1
Pharmlou
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 16710 5513
Looking at a 5513 metres first Sub

Hey Guys,
been looking for a vintage sub for a little while now and managed to find a local one ( Oz) in reasonable order. Provenance was unknown but we agreed to a price pending a look over by a watchmaker that we mutually agreed to. Watch was supposedly in good working order with everything period correct except for the bracelet.
The watchmaker confirms that it is authentic but the hands are not tritium and the rotor pivot was damaged years ago through lack of servicing causing the rotor to wear mark on the bridge. He showed me how the rotor rocked back and forth along the pivot and said that it would continue to cause irreparable damage unless fixed. He did not expect it to keep good time because of this. The watchmaker also suggested that because it was obvious the watch had not been serviced for a while that there may be more damage to other components, which could only be ascertained by pulling parts out and doing a full quote for repairs.
My question is who is responsible for the repairs?
I offered to pay for half the repairs thinking I was being fair but he was annoyed and said that the watchmaker was only supposed to authenticate the watch!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pharmlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2015, 01:28 PM   #2
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Why buy a watch in that condtion at all? Walk away IMO.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2015, 01:37 PM   #3
The_Walrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
What would the repair cost? You would definately need to counter offer the difference.
Any images?
The_Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2015, 04:31 AM   #4
figsgrandpa
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
I'm no lawyer, but, it appears that you had a sales contract that was conditional on the watchmaker confirming that the watch was in the condition that the seller represented, i.e., "good working order". Clearly, based on the watchmaker's inspection, that is not the case, so, you can either walk away from this deal, or try to come to a new agreement regarding the price, repairs, etc.
figsgrandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2015, 04:50 AM   #5
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
Get price adjusted due to repairs needed, or walk away.

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2015, 05:03 AM   #6
watchcrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II cream
Well, depends on the purchase price. If it's cheap enough, do the deal and service. If not walk away from seller.
watchcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2015, 12:50 PM   #7
Pharmlou
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 16710 5513
Thanks George for providing some missing information regarding the provenance of this old watch. It seems it was originally sold by an American TRF member last year, freshly serviced and any damage to it is recent. It puts my mind at ease regarding any other issues at least. Negotiating the purchase will be interesting.
Pharmlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2015, 11:57 PM   #8
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
I'd certainly walk away. Watch was supposed to be all original/period correct except for the bracelet, but the hands are not tritium? That's enough of a deal-breaker for me right there, mechanical problems aside.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote