The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2016, 07:10 AM   #1
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
the differing answers on Daytona C availability from AD's

It's almost comedic just how different the responses are from all of these AD's with concern to the Daytona C's immediate availability, both in terms of the forum's interactions and my experience with 3 Rolex dealers.

The first one I reached out to claimed that it would be somewhat of a wait, but hinted at a relatively quick arrival should I feel the need to pay above MSRP (I don't). I have previously purchased from them before.

The 2nd AD, of which I have bought and sold from and have an excellent reputation, was happy to put me on the list with no deposit and claimed they could only sell at MSRP, so no worries of me paying above retail. Only issue is that I would wait at a minimum a year but definitely not much longer that that...which really isn't an issue for me, as I can save up the necessary funds. Also, I'd have to pick up the watch in their state as they cannot ship it to me (Rolex only?), but what's a $300 plane ticket for a $12000+ watch?

Lastly, as a San Diego resident, I decided to call the Fashion Valley Ben Bridge just to see what their response would be, which was the worst of them all. Apparently since I have never bought from them, I will not have the opportunity to buy the Daytona C from them. They have no list and only prior customers have the privilege (ha!) of purchasing from them.

All in all, an interesting experience to say the least. I think waiting a year for my now go-to AD to receive the watch isn't going to be a problem, and a stroll through the East Coast to pick up the watch will be an added bonus.
JParm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 07:17 AM   #2
jinikari01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
That's funny. I was also at my local AD and ask when they would receive Daytona C.
She response, not all AD will be receiving the watch in stock. Although, my AD can ask, Rolex is very selective at this time of its early stages of the release. Whether who gets them bad boys first.... we both had a good laugh about that.
jinikari01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 07:20 AM   #3
PerioBear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
It's almost comedic just how different the responses are from all of these AD's with concern to the Daytona C's immediate availability, both in terms of the forum's interactions and my experience with 3 Rolex dealers.

The first one I reached out to claimed that it would be somewhat of a wait, but hinted at a relatively quick arrival should I feel the need to pay above MSRP (I don't). I have previously purchased from them before.

The 2nd AD, of which I have bought and sold from and have an excellent reputation, was happy to put me on the list with no deposit and claimed they could only sell at MSRP, so no worries of me paying above retail. Only issue is that I would wait at a minimum a year but definitely not much longer that that...which really isn't an issue for me, as I can save up the necessary funds. Also, I'd have to pick up the watch in their state as they cannot ship it to me (Rolex only?), but what's a $300 plane ticket for a $12000+ watch?

Lastly, as a San Diego resident, I decided to call the Fashion Valley Ben Bridge just to see what their response would be, which was the worst of them all. Apparently since I have never bought from them, I will not have the opportunity to buy the Daytona C from them. They have no list and only prior customers have the privilege (ha!) of purchasing from them.

All in all, an interesting experience to say the least. I think waiting a year for my now go-to AD to receive the watch isn't going to be a problem, and a stroll through the East Coast to pick up the watch will be an added bonus.
I didn't think ADs could sell above MSRP?
PerioBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 07:21 AM   #4
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
People pay attentio to what an AD says?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 07:36 AM   #5
W44NEG
"TRF" Member

The truth is, the dealers DON'T know.

If they tell you it wouldn't be much longer than a year, they're simply making this up IMO. They don't know how many per year they will definitely receive. Perhaps they'll receive all in the same colour, which means people on this list for the other colour won't receive theirs until an even later date etc. There's too many unknowns and the only way to be sure, is to find genuine, nice dealers to do business with who will add you to a list.

If they say there's no list, that's BS as there will be for their most valuable clients etc.

I have seen people talk of a 6 month wait and then others talk of a 15 year wait etc. This just comes down to the size of the list involved and the expected amount per year. Some dealers think they'll get eight per year, and others one or two.

It's all theoretical until the AD calls to say your watch just arrived.
W44NEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 07:41 AM   #6
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Im with you. Goes in one ear and comes out the other.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 07:45 AM   #7
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Not me, my brother.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 07:50 AM   #8
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Somewhere around 1990 I put down a $500 deposit on a new Daytona.
The AD called one day, I called them back they said the watch was in.
Went to pick it up and they canceled the order and refunded my deposit.
8 years went by before I bought a Daytona ($2500) more.
The AD lost their Rolex dealership.
Couldn't be happier.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 07:59 AM   #9
W44NEG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landroverking View Post
Somewhere around 1990 I put down a $500 deposit on a new Daytona.
The AD called one day, I called them back they said the watch was in.
Went to pick it up and they canceled the order and refunded my deposit.
8 years went by before I bought a Daytona ($2500) more.
The AD lost their Rolex dealership.
Couldn't be happier.
I'm glad too! You must have gone from great excitement to absolute rage after such a wait!
W44NEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 08:00 AM   #10
artschool
"TRF" Member

looks like some AD's are saying its a 25year wait now.
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 08:02 AM   #11
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by W44NEG View Post
I'm glad too! You must have gone from great excitement to absolute rage after such a wait!
Yes. In 1990 I was even able to order it with a jubilee.
AD installed option.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 08:09 AM   #12
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
I just left 40 ADs. They all said it would be 340-1020 years before I could get a Daytona. I put my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandkid's name on their waiting list, and I paid a deposit of $1.4 million dollars to get onto the list.

anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 08:10 AM   #13
Bulldog21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/BLRO/SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by W44NEG View Post
The truth is, the dealers DON'T know.

If they tell you it wouldn't be much longer than a year, they're simply making this up IMO. They don't know how many per year they will definitely receive. Perhaps they'll receive all in the same colour, which means people on this list for the other colour won't receive theirs until an even later date etc. There's too many unknowns and the only way to be sure, is to find genuine, nice dealers to do business with who will add you to a list.

If they say there's no list, that's BS as there will be for their most valuable clients etc.

I have seen people talk of a 6 month wait and then others talk of a 15 year wait etc. This just comes down to the size of the list involved and the expected amount per year. Some dealers think they'll get eight per year, and others one or two.

It's all theoretical until the AD calls to say your watch just arrived.

I personally think this is spot on! We all think "our" AD knows whats up, and what our AD say's is the truth. I few years back, I was looking for the SS Daytona black face and walked into the largest Rolex AD in Dallas and I was informed I would be waiting at least a year, they gave me a smug chuckle and sent me on my way. I called another AD in a neighboring city, and he said he has one in the safe I could have it today I went, paid for it and have bought 3 Rolexs from him sense. So either the first guy we bs-ing me or made not but I drove 10 minutes down the road and new guy got all my business
Bulldog21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 08:56 AM   #14
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog21 View Post
I personally think this is spot on! We all think "our" AD knows whats up, and what our AD say's is the truth. I few years back, I was looking for the SS Daytona black face and walked into the largest Rolex AD in Dallas and I was informed I would be waiting at least a year, they gave me a smug chuckle and sent me on my way. I called another AD in a neighboring city, and he said he has one in the safe I could have it today I went, paid for it and have bought 3 Rolexs from him sense. So either the first guy we bs-ing me or made not but I drove 10 minutes down the road and new guy got all my business
Makes perfect sense to me. First AD forgot his job is to sell watches. I have countless stories like this.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 09:16 AM   #15
Z06Chris
"TRF" Member

I feel like it was a mistake trying to get the Daytona c as my first rolex..

I called every AD in the area. One told me 200 people were on the list, another told me they didn't even have a list, and another told me they were compiling a list and that I'd be in the first few if I put a deposit.

The 200+ ad wrote my name/number as did the AD that didn't yet have a list. I went with the 3rd option because my parents had purchased from them before and were in their system.

I put 20% cash deposit and was told I'd get my watch in about 2-3 months.

With all of the threads I read about big spenders being pushed to the top of the list, AD's not knowing a Damn thing, AD's receiving 1-2 a year, etc, I've started to worry if I'll be waiting months or years.....

I am receiving the rolex as a wedding gift (wedding is Oct 29th 2016) and I keep wondering if I should have just gone with a datejust or submariner since I may not receive the Daytona in time.
Z06Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 09:28 AM   #16
Javier2.0t
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
The ADs are horrible and the boutiques are worse. At least here in NYC. Every time I go to the boutique I get treated terribly. Doesn't matter what watch I'm wearing, how I'm dressed. I've gone with the intention to buy, but I would rather buy from a forum seller than give to them. Wempe told me there is no list as did both Tourneaus. Ehh It worked out for the best as I'm going to be getting something else and putting the Daytona on hold
Javier2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 09:43 AM   #17
JUSTIFIED
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothernewphone View Post
I just left 40 ADs. They all said it would be 340-1020 years before I could get a Daytona. I put my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandkid's name on their waiting list, and I paid a deposit of $1.4 million dollars to get onto the list.

Too damn funny!
JUSTIFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 09:47 AM   #18
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06Chris View Post

With all of the threads I read about big spenders being pushed to the top of the list, AD's not knowing a Damn thing, AD's receiving 1-2 a year, etc, I've started to worry if I'll be waiting months or years.....

I am receiving the rolex as a wedding gift (wedding is Oct 29th 2016) and I keep wondering if I should have just gone with a datejust or submariner since I may not receive the Daytona in time.
It's possible to get married without wearing a watch, so why worry? It's only a watch, not the huge big deal it seems to be becoming. There are far more worrying things going on in the world.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 09:54 AM   #19
JPizzzle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06Chris View Post
I feel like it was a mistake trying to get the Daytona c as my first rolex..

I called every AD in the area. One told me 200 people were on the list, another told me they didn't even have a list, and another told me they were compiling a list and that I'd be in the first few if I put a deposit.

The 200+ ad wrote my name/number as did the AD that didn't yet have a list. I went with the 3rd option because my parents had purchased from them before and were in their system.

I put 20% cash deposit and was told I'd get my watch in about 2-3 months.

Deposit refundable? If so, I wouldn't worry and would stay with the AD that promised 2-3 months.
JPizzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 10:04 AM   #20
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothernewphone View Post

masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 10:07 AM   #21
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Weird, my AD said I would be getting mine in the next day or two
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 10:20 AM   #22
Z06Chris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPizzzle View Post
Deposit refundable? If so, I wouldn't worry and would stay with the AD that promised 2-3 months.
Yes. Fully refundable deposit. I figured I had my best chance with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
It's possible to get married without wearing a watch, so why worry? It's only a watch, not the huge big deal it seems to be becoming. There are far more worrying things going on in the world.
That's very true.
Z06Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 10:21 AM   #23
PNBLWZD
"TRF" Member

Every story I've heard about Ben Bridge over the years, for a Daytona C or other Rolex references, has been horrible.
PNBLWZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 10:21 AM   #24
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 10:24 AM   #25
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Old 24 May 2016, 10:31 AM   #26
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
Mine too. Maybe a week or two.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 10:54 AM   #27
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNBLWZD View Post
Every story I've heard about Ben Bridge over the years, for a Daytona C or other Rolex references, has been horrible.
The eye rolling and fake smug laugh is what always got me at Ben Bridge when I asked about a SS Daytona.. Lovely.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 11:00 AM   #28
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
I think if you have a relationship with an AD and are a multiple repeat customer, a Daytona would not be an issue. My AD would have a hard time explaining to me why I am not first on their list (which does not actually exist)
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 11:02 AM   #29
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Mine too. Maybe a week or two.
Awesome my friend! That will be the lunch date!!
Old 24 May 2016, 11:07 AM   #30
simongpaez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Some
Here is the best one of all, we don't sell SS Daytonas it is impossible for you to buy one from us, we give them as a gift to our top spenders.

Ha ha ha, just amazing.
simongpaez is offline   Reply With Quote