The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 July 2017, 05:29 PM   #91
Lol-x
Facilitator

What is the deposit for?
Will the deposit be rescinded?

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2017, 06:11 PM   #92
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
What is the deposit for?
Will the deposit be rescinded?
Have to read the thread Steve
Old 12 July 2017, 01:44 AM   #93
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatty View Post
... but he really doesn't though.

Gerardo needs to offer a timely response.
Old 12 July 2017, 02:55 AM   #94
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
Vegas 20*1*8*

info on the deposit...
Even if dinner was not included it's the bargain of the century for the planning G puts into these!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardoG View Post
Well my dear TRF family; as I start reading the '17 thread (great times!) with coffee by my side; and I re-read many e-mails and text messages...we have a DATE for 2018! The name is something we will pick together, but based on the huge success WISCON 2017, our FOURTH Vegas meeting is a must!

A personal challenge: make it BETTER. So planning starts now! (actually, it started last week )

Based on comments, I think the NRD is something that should be put in place to cover for expenses and no shows (we did have some no shows this year); as it is my neck on the line with arrangements and some expenses.

I received from several WISCON attendees a good suggestion: to raise NRD to $150 per person, INCLUDES Friday dinner (drinks, taxes and gratuity are individual responsibility; NRD via PayPal under e-mail: info@aboutlife.club).

We will have to cap it for '18 as well to provide a top quality event, so we will have limited seating.

See you again on FRIDAY, APRIL 27 and SATURDAY APRIL 28, 2018!
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2017, 03:24 AM   #95
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
info on the deposit...
Even if dinner was not included it's the bargain of the century for the planning G puts into these!
Not much info there Wayne....

Does it include supper or not? Saying it does, when it really doesn't, is a little deceiving is it not?

Sure, lots of work is involved for the planing of this event, but full transparency needs to be disclosed. Especially when this forums name, and platform is used to promote the event.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2017, 03:27 AM   #96
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
Not much info there Wayne....

Does it include supper or not? Saying it does, when it really doesn't, is a little deceiving is it not?

Sure, lots of work is involved for the planing of this event, but full transparency needs to be disclosed. Especially when this forums name, and platform is used to promote the event.

??? The part of G's post I highlighted I understand as includes dinner. Maybe I'm wrong. I will let him explain further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 July 2017, 05:07 AM   #97
Tools

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatty View Post
I think that the point Steve and Rob are making is that this is not a "TRF GTG".

It is an organized/sponsored event put on by "About Life" for which you pay a non-refundable attendance fee.
Old 12 July 2017, 11:42 AM   #98
Old Expat Beast

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
info on the deposit...
That's not the recent feedback we've been getting from quite a few members who attended the last LV GTG.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2017, 11:54 AM   #99
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
That's not the recent feedback we've been getting from quite a few members who attended the last LV GTG.

Interesting

Old 12 July 2017, 12:45 PM   #100
G8RDPM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The 2017 GTG was epic.
I and many others had a great time. Many virtual friends would agree.

As far as the fee,G spends a lot of money and time on this. He loses money on this. My personal opinion is that we,his virtual family should pay for his room. Many may not agree and his room has never been included in this. He works hard during the event.
It is a bargain. This is a meeting of TRF members/enthusiasts. For 2018,$150 per person with included dinner. Not a big expense for most(all?) of us on a forum where we pay thousands for watches or more. So,we had several events and a dinner(Capital Grille). If you do not want to pay $150 don't attend!
Also many of us went to shows,dinners,drinks,etc.
It was an epic time! Also,a Rolex and Tudor were given away!

I do not think the small non refundable deposit would be a deterrent for anyone here. Most of us spend waste a lot more.
I signed up for 2018.
Most of past attendees have continued to attend.Also,many have signed up to bring their significant others.

I truly appreciate my virtual friends. The LV GTG was amazing.

This is the most amazing internet forum/community. I spent 45 minutes on the phone today with a virtual friend/forum member.

Members,please reach out to G! He values his virtual family and shares a lot here!
G8RDPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2017, 12:51 PM   #101
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RDPM View Post
The 2017 GTG was epic.

As far as the fee,G spends a lot of money and time on this. He loses money on this. My personal opinion is that we,his virtual family should pay for his room. Many may not agree and his room has never been included in this. He works hard during the event.

It is a bargain. This is a meeting of TRF members/enthusiasts. For 2018,$150 per person with included dinner. Not a big expense for most(all?) of us on a forum where we pay thousands for watches or more. So,we had several events and a dinner(Capital Grille). If you do not want to pay $150 don't attend!

I do not think the small non refundable deposit would be a deterrent for anyone here. Most of us spend waste a lot more.

I signed up for 2018.

Most of past attendees have continued to attend.Also,many have signed up to bring their significant others.

This is the most amazing internet forum/community. I spent 45 minutes on the phone today with a virtual friend/forum member.

Members,please reach out to G! He values his virtual family and shares a lot here!

Agree on all points. Well said!

Old 12 July 2017, 12:56 PM   #102
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
Quote:

Agree - truly enjoy meeting new WIS guys and gals and am looking forward to next year (already signed up).

TRF is a special place....these wonderful GTGs add to the experience!
Old 12 July 2017, 01:09 PM   #103
Case61
2024 Pledge Member

I also had a sensational time at the Vegas GTG, and signed up for 2018 the day it became available.
Case61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2017, 01:10 PM   #104
Lol-x
Facilitator

This website does not own get togethers (GTG's).

However, a deposit is ordinarily considered to be a "part-payment" towards something.

I've been to many GTG's and I've never had to pay anything in the nature of a fee.

What I am looking for is transparency so that everyone is clear what they are paying $150 for and how that money is going to be used.

Its fair to say that people should be clear and under no illusion as to the basis upon which the payment of $150 is claimed.

The forum does not ordinarily allow any commercial activity (private business activities) to be conducted and it seems that if this GTG is in effect a commercial activity run via a business (http://www.aboutlife.club) we should have been advised and permission sought.

If the $150 is purely an 'entry fee' or a 'booking fee' that covers nothing of any tangible substance that should be stated. Whatever the situation it should be very clearly stated. On my calculations the fees collected or to be collected will be many thousands of dollars.

Also the forum takes no responsibility for any payments made or any loss arising therefrom.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2017, 01:12 PM   #105
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Agree on all points. Well said!

Quote:
The 2017 GTG was epic.

I signed up for 2018.

Quote:
Originally Posted by returntorolex View Post
Agree - truly enjoy meeting new WIS guys and gals and am looking forward to next year (already signed up).

TRF is a special place....these wonderful GTGs add to the experience!

Agree with the above. The NRD also protects G from losing money in case he plans events and people cancel. If you are not comfortable with the arrangement, you don't have to go. Simple enough.

G, you know how much we appreciate all that you do. I personally hope you still enjoy doing all this, because as much as you love it, we truly are the fortunate ones who reap the rewards of your hard work. Thank you.
Old 12 July 2017, 01:23 PM   #106
Canefan1
Banned

Wow......
Canefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2017, 01:45 PM   #107
Danny83
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rdpm View Post
the 2017 gtg was epic.

As far as the fee,g spends a lot of money and time on this. He loses money on this. My personal opinion is that we,his virtual family should pay for his room. Many may not agree and his room has never been included in this. He works hard during the event.
It is a bargain. This is a meeting of trf members/enthusiasts. For 2018,$150 per person with included dinner. Not a big expense for most(all?) of us on a forum where we pay thousands for watches or more. So,we had several events and a dinner(capital grille). If you do not want to pay $150 don't attend!
It was an epic time! Also,a rolex and tudor were given away!
I signed up for 2018.
Most of past attendees have continued to attend.also,many have signed up to bring their significant others.

I truly appreciate my virtual friends. The lv gtg was amazing.

Members,please reach out to g! He values his virtual family and shares a lot here!
x2
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2017, 09:41 PM   #108
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
GerardoG is out with very limited/no internet. I'll send a text and let him know his presence has been requested.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2017, 01:57 AM   #109
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Agree with the above. The NRD also protects G from losing money in case he plans events and people cancel. If you are not comfortable with the arrangement, you don't have to go. Simple enough.

G, you know how much we appreciate all that you do. I personally hope you still enjoy doing all this, because as much as you love it, we truly are the fortunate ones who reap the rewards of your hard work. Thank you.
Old 13 July 2017, 08:52 AM   #110
One Ping Only
"TRF" Member

Watch: several
Wow.

I attended the first LV GTG. And the second, and the third. I will attend the fourth, just trying to convince my wife to go.

Room reservations in Las Vegas cost money, or guaranteed minimimum check.

I'll let Gerardo provide the accounting, but I have no issue with a deposit that covers dinner, decorations and door prizes.
Old 13 July 2017, 10:13 AM   #111
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Vegas 20*1*8*

I had a great time the last two years! Good food, wine, watches, conversation, cocktails, shows, pool time, etc. I even got involved with another TRF Brother planning a dinner for a nice group of people one of the nights.

I will likely attend next year but to far out for me to commit at this point.

- Looking forward to a nice little GTG in San Diego real soon....

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2017, 03:54 PM   #112
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

My understanding is the NRD is to cover the cost of the reservation(s). If Geraldo does make money on the event, first of all, it couldn't be very much considering all of the effort he puts into it, but if he does make money, so be it. He does have his own personal costs, the wrist bands, lanyards, name tags, etc. I think the size of this GTG made it such that it was causing some financial risk for G. IMHO, he has been just trying to minimize his risk. The LV GTG isn't just a few guys meting for a drink. It's a full on production.
Old 14 July 2017, 03:04 AM   #113
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
I will have limited internet today and will gladly share the financials with you as soon as I am back in mainland. You will confirm how much it costs me every time we get together (just as an example, do you think the Rolex we gave away was a gift??). AboutLife is a hobby, every GTG cost me money. I had asked for the forums approval to have a NRD before the previous one as we had over 40% of no shows. All these cost me, not the forum, money.

For next year, and as we clearly noted, that INCLUDES dinner ($100us) with no drinks nor gratuity. With the remainder 50, I believe a lot of people are suggesting I can make all the print work, guarantee spots, buy presents AND buy a Watch for you guys and still make money. Wow. Just wow.
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2017, 07:02 AM   #114
GerardoG
Banned

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=548763
Old 14 July 2017, 07:20 AM   #115
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Really enjoyed the LV GTG this year. Already have plans for the 2018 event. I always thought that G ended up putting a lot of his own money into these. Even commented to my wife in LV that he must have supplemented the events as there is no way $100 per person covered the activities and giveaways.

Thanks G!
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2017, 10:59 AM   #116
520Matt
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD, LV,GMT II Pep
I'm sure this will all get sorted out
520Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2017, 03:18 PM   #117
GerardoG
Banned

Chapters and threads closed. Lets continue enjoying our passion between friends. Vegas: here we come!!!!!!
Old 19 July 2017, 03:44 PM   #118
.db
"TRF" Member

Looking forward to it
.db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 07:53 AM   #119
Mar1177
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting. Care to share?
Mar1177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 10:34 PM   #120
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardoG View Post
Chapters and threads closed. Lets continue enjoying our passion between friends. Vegas: here we come!!!!!!
Amen!!! Got an incoming to share and most likely another very soon. Thank you, G, for leading me to D&D for this hard to find watch.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote