The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 August 2017, 12:11 AM   #1
untico17
"TRF" Member

Vintage Tudor

Hello everyone, I need help. I have a vintage tudor that I believe is from the 50s, that I purchase 25 years ago, like 10 years ago I send the watch for service and the person tried to repair the dial of the watch, I read in here that has devalue the watch a lot, I don't want to sell it, because the watch has some sentimental value, I took it to a rolex office located in Cuba and the person over there told me that he didn't have the pieces to fix it but it was amazed that the watch was still running, but also told me to leaved the way it was and put away. What should I do? I am going to post pictures of the watch for you guys to see.
Thank you
untico17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 12:54 AM   #2
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Pics would help.

Can I assume it's a Tudor Oyster from the 50s, probably in the 79xx family?

Dial is cosmetic, yeah if it's badly repainted or replaced with aftermarket then it'll hurt value.

Mechanically they're afaik some variant of ETA movement so a *good* watchmaker shouldn't have too much trouble finding suitable replacement bits if anything is wornout. Might be easier than a Rolex movement of same vintage.

Crown & crystal shouldn't be too hard to source.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 01:07 AM   #3
untico17
"TRF" Member

Thanks a lot for the answer, yes it is a Oyster Prince, and to be honest the job on the dial was not real a good one, Do you have any idea if it will be a good idea to service a watch so old so I can wear it, I am trying to post pictures but I don't know how.
Old 23 August 2017, 01:29 AM   #4
tamiya
"TRF" Member

For sure, they are great pieces to wear!!! Get it fixed and on your wrist.

I too have a Prince Datejust that came into my possession in the 1990s and has never been taken out of rotation since. Only recently found out it was from the 50s, had thought it was late 60s all along because it's an uncommon larger model.

Good thing they're still reasonably priced, values haven't gone crazy high so imho a broken watch with all-original parts still won't be worth more than if it's fixed & running.

I'm in Australia currently, seems to be no problem if ever I need mine fixed. I was wearing mine when I went scouting around local watchmakers week before, none said they couldn't work on that. Ample stock of ETA parts or used genuine parts or aftermarket parts if necessary.

Dial can be re-restored or spares aren't too hard to find if you know what part you need.
Old 23 August 2017, 01:39 AM   #5
untico17
"TRF" Member

Thanks again Tamiya, That is what I am going to do, I appreciated your response.
Old 23 August 2017, 01:46 AM   #6
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Glad to help!

Are u in Florida? The Cuba mention is confusing :)

To best search for info on your watch, go find your model #, it's usually on the case somewhere along with serial number.

Btw I think you've posted in wrong forum... afaik around this joint the fellas treat Tudor as Rolex, only the brands not owned by Rolex are "non-Rolex". ;)
Old 23 August 2017, 01:54 AM   #7
untico17
"TRF" Member

Yes I am in Fl, I recently visited Cuba and there is an office in the Island with a guy that has been in that office for more than 50 years, Sorry about posting in the wrong forum, I am new in here and not to savvy as you can see. thanks again for your help.
Old 23 August 2017, 06:44 PM   #8
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Think this threads been moved so we're all kosher now. Only mentioning it as putting in right section will get you more eyeballs from those who know :) some snobs don't bother visiting the unwashed sections :P

In US should be better for skills & parts; albeit Tudor wasn't sold there for a while 1980s 1990s afaik?

Not a fan of Cuba's backyard mechanics bashing up their vintage road fleet. :)
Old 23 August 2017, 11:36 PM   #9
untico17
"TRF" Member

Thanks again Tamiya, I appreciated your help.