The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 October 2008, 02:38 AM   #1
Mateus
"TRF" Member

Oyster Recorda

Hi,

I recently rescued an old watch that belonged to my late Grandfather (it was about to be thrown out!) and I wonder if anyone could help me gather a bit more information on it.

The face has “Oyster Recorda” and “Swiss made” on it and there are 24 hour numbers in an inner circle to the 12 hour numbers. On the reverse, the numbers 189420 are stamped and inside it’s marked “RWC”.

Some basic research suggests it’s some form of Canadian Rolex (given to WW2 soldiers) but the “Swiss made” text seems to contradict this. I think my Grandfather (who was English not Canadian) must have obtained it while serving in WW2.

I’ve just had it professionally cleaned and, although the watchmaker couldn’t identify it, he said the mechanism was similar to a Rolex but not one he’d come across before.

So I’m looking for a bit more information if anyone can help!

Many thanks,

Matt
Mateus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2008, 02:44 AM   #2
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Look here: http://www.yorktime.com/articles/200312123544

A clear picture (front and back) would help!
Old 28 October 2008, 02:52 AM   #3
daytona1

seat belts please!!! So I will speak for everyone that is going to post on this thread. PICS PLEASE!!!!! I am going to predict pics will be slow in coming and maybe like most of these types of posts a watch that is less then real. Am I off base??? I would love to be proved wrong...

Padi edit..
And why do you believe that you should speak for everyone,there was a Rolex Recorda and before you are proved wrong or otherwise.Perhaps you should keep your opinion to yourself in future.

daytona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2008, 02:54 AM   #4
Mateus
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll try & get a photo uploaded soon.

The YorkTime website is helpful & I'd already come across it (although I wasn't sure how accurate it was). My watch looks very similar to the Oyster Raleigh on their website: http://www.yorktime.com/search?cid=6:sku=226.
Old 28 October 2008, 02:59 AM   #5
Mateus
"TRF" Member

I'm at work at the moment, but I'll take some photos tonight & upload them tomorrow!

It's very similar to this: http://www.yorktime.com/search?cid=6:sku=226

Thanks.
Old 28 October 2008, 03:08 AM   #6
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
I'm at work at the moment, but I'll take some photos tonight & upload them tomorrow!

It's very similar to this: http://www.yorktime.com/search?cid=6:sku=226

Thanks.
Make sure they are well lit and sharp. Fuzzy phone pictures will only add to the confusion
Old 28 October 2008, 03:14 AM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well watches like the Rolex Lipton and Recorda were made for the Canadian market only late 30s 40s and were mainly bought as gifts to service men going to war, and differ slightly movement wise from the swiss made Rolex.Instead of using the normal Herman Aegler Rolex movement,they used a ebauche from Fontmelon called the Cal FF30 17Jewel manual wind renamed the Rolex cal 59.And various models marketed as well as the Recorda were Oyster Edison,Oyster Raleigh,Oyster Centregraph, Oyster Junior Sport, Oyster Commander, Oyster Recorda, Oyster Grenfell,Oyster Shipmate and Oyster Standard there was one more but cannot think of the name my memory is going.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2008, 03:46 AM   #8
jdc
"TRF" Member

Sounds an interesting story Matt, look forward to the pictures
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2008, 04:18 AM   #9
daytona1

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona1 View Post
seat belts please!!! So I will speak for everyone that is going to post on this thread. PICS PLEASE!!!!! I am going to predict pics will be slow in coming and maybe like most of these types of posts a watch that is less then real. Am I off base??? I would love to be proved wrong...

Padi edit..
And why do you believe that you should speak for everyone,there was a Rolex Recorda and before you are proved wrong or otherwise.Perhaps you should keep your opinion to yourself in future.

This forum is full of people giving their opinions. All of a sudden you have a problem with mine? Every time, every time someone posts a thread about a watch that they were given or bought for almost nothing turns out to be fake. In addition it works out that way most of the time when its a first post. IE this weekend someone posted pics of the Daytona their father gave them that turned out to be fake. It happened a few weeks ago also. And about speaking for everyone else. Check the post about the Daytona. Most of the people posting were asking for pics. All I was doing was asking before everyone requested the same thing. In closing if you have a problem with people talking about their opinions WHY THE HECK IS THIS BOARD ON THE NET???
Old 28 October 2008, 04:55 AM   #10
Greenring
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I'm about as dumb as a bag of hammers when it comes to vintage Rolexes. So I would love to see pics of this Oyster Recorda. Even if it turns out to be a fake, I will learn something, what gives it away as a fake.

A fact I learned years ago was that the Neiman Marcus department stores has an extremely high rating for customer service, which made them one of the very top stores at that time. Their focus was customer service. They paid special attention to the 3% of their customers that were the problem children of sales. That extra focus put them on top.
Likewise, by discarding an new guy as fake before he has a chance to display his Oyster Recorda is a Woolworth approach. And we all know how many Woolworth's there are now. Give the new guy a chance. At worst, the more knowledgeable members show the rest of us, or me, what's real and what's not in vintage Rolexes. At best, we get to see the real McCoy. Hey, Mateus might take Jocke quality pics!
Greenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2008, 05:12 AM   #11
jdc
"TRF" Member

There seems to be a lot of people wanting to be the first to jump in and accuse new posters of being of being fake when they ask advice over a watch. That is not very hospitable, if it goes downhill afterwards so what? As Stan has just said the readers of the post will have learned something. Lets give people a chance and be nice; being a smart Alec is not a nice trait.
Old 28 October 2008, 05:14 AM   #12
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This forum is full of people giving their opinions. All of a sudden you have a problem with mine? Every time, every time someone posts a thread about a watch that they were given or bought for almost nothing turns out to be fake. In addition it works out that way most of the time when its a first post. IE this weekend someone posted pics of the Daytona their father gave them that turned out to be fake. It happened a few weeks ago also. And about speaking for everyone else. Check the post about the Daytona. Most of the people posting were asking for pics. All I was doing was asking before everyone requested the same thing. In closing if you have a problem with people talking about their opinions WHY THE HECK IS THIS BOARD ON THE NET???
I think you should reflect on your original reply. It is not about having an opinion, it is about how you voice it. There was an undertone of accusation that in the early stage this thread is in, was unwarranted. This board is for all to learn and to enjoy themselves. Perhaps you could learn the value of giving one the benefit of doubt. Thank you.
Old 28 October 2008, 05:18 AM   #13
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Uh, oh, here we go again.

Mateus, welcome to TRF. Please excuse us, we're a bit jumpy of late.
We look forward to seeing your photos, and I hope some of the vintage folks can steer you in the right direction.
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2008, 05:29 AM   #14
RossInIllinois
Banned

Watch: GMT 2
Looks To be a Tudor

Leave it to Flea Bay!
http://cgi.ebay.com/1940s-Rolex-Tudo...1%7C240%3A1318
RossInIllinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2008, 05:32 AM   #15
daytona1

Oh Jeezzze. Thats the first time I posted any thread suggesting that a watch might not be real. Hundreds of you guys have said the same thing about other threads that did not include any pics. I guess its just pile on time.. Like I said in the past when people post threads that highlight an older "rolex" that even a jeweler cant ID the watch usually turns out to be fake. Remember "EL PRESEDENTE" or the Daytona from the weekend or the guy last week that was asking about the 43 diamond datejust that his grandma gave his wife for a graduation present? I could go on. all three of those watches turned out to be fakes. All of them posted a thread without pics to start. They got people on the board all riled up and even accused some posters of being jellous because they were pretty. heres how it usually goes. Someone posts a thread explaining the watch they found, got as a gift or got in a will. They post no pics. then all day long people post about not getting pics. Two days after the original post pics get posted. After the pics are posted people post about the watch being fake. End of story.. Like I said in my first post I would love to be proven wrong!!!!
Old 28 October 2008, 06:30 PM   #16
Mateus
"TRF" Member

Wow, not sure what to say but I promise you it is for real. I didn't realise this forum was so vocal. But I can understand the scepticism.

Anyway, I took some photos last night (I live in UK) & just uploaded them....

Padi edit.
I resized your pictures Matt to show the dial detail, fine looking old timer, and now quite a valuable watch to the right collector.

Thanks,
M.
Old 28 October 2008, 07:01 PM   #17
RsqVet

Nice watch, thank god you saved it from the dump.

I love the old war watches; funny thing is these served guys great through the trials of war with no need to be 44 mm or whatever the current size rage is. Value others can comment on, not huge but that is not a bad thing, you can get it overhauled and just enjoy it.
RsqVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2008, 07:20 PM   #18
Troy
Banned

Watch: Tudor Sub. 7928
Nice old time piece
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2008, 07:21 PM   #19
Mateus
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all you comments. I'd be interested to know how much it's worth (but I won't be selling it!). It may be basic but I like it & I wear it everyday.
Old 28 October 2008, 07:26 PM   #20
jdc
"TRF" Member

Congratulations and nice outcome Matt Great watch with a family attachment, hope you wear it with pride and treasure it

If you can get the case back off (get your watchmaker to do it) and post pictures of the markings on the inside of the case back, and pictures of the movement, we may be able to help you with more information such as year of manufacture
Old 28 October 2008, 07:30 PM   #21
Parachrom
"TRF" Member

lets see the movement pictures. thats what intersting. its old, looks about right, but lets see the movement.
Parachrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2008, 07:33 PM   #22
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

What a beauty. I love it!

J

PS nice mod work guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2008, 07:58 PM   #23
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
there was one more but cannot think of the name my memory is going.
the Observatory?
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2008, 08:43 PM   #24
Mateus
"TRF" Member

When I took it for cleaning, the watchmaker said he used his Rolex key to open the case up - I'll see if I can get him to open it again & I'll take some photos. He said the movement wasn't one he'd seen before & suggested it was more simple to the higher quality Rolex watches (which would make sense if it was to be given to soldiers in wartimes).
Old 28 October 2008, 08:48 PM   #25
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
if it was to be given to soldiers in wartimes).
Hi Matt. While the Oyster variants weren't given to soldiers, they were popular as gifts from family.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2008, 08:48 PM   #26
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
great peice, I have never seen anything like it!! i have no idea of value, but its good to see something different

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2008, 08:59 PM   #27
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
the Observatory?
Thanks Al but there are a few more as well the old memory not as good as it was
Quote:
When I took it for cleaning, the watchmaker said he used his Rolex key to open the case up - I'll see if I can get him to open it again & I'll take some photos. He said the movement wasn't one he'd seen before & suggested it was more simple to the higher quality Rolex watches (which would make sense if it was to be given to soldiers in wartimes).
If you have had it serviced my advice leave it well alone the movement is a Fontmelon ebauche Cal FF30 17Jewel manual wind. Renamed the Rolex cal 59 a fine well respected long lasting movement.And FMH Fontmelon made most of the movements for Rolex pocket watches. Sometimes in some of the Canadian market watches you will find Peseux movements too. And even some of the early 15 Jewel Rolex prince had a Fontmelon movement instead of the normal Herman Aegler movements.Now regarding price well if you find out more history about the watch was it worn in battle etc,prisoner of war that would up the price.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 28 October 2008, 09:04 PM   #28
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Well looks like you have been proved wrong, on TRF
we adapt the policy " innocent until proved guilty ".

Quote:
I guess now would be a good time to publicly apologise for doubting Mateus about his Recorda watch don't you think daytona1.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 28 October 2008, 10:06 PM   #29
Lol-x
Facilitator

Yes, I agree Padi

I remember only too well the time when a newbie posted he had got a Paul Newman Daytona from his father, and some guys called (without seeing) it as much as a 'fake' only to find out later it was in fact real They in that case had the good grace to apologise.

The fact is new members are to be given the benefit of the doubt, as should have been the case here. This is the clear policy of the forum, always has been, and always will be.

We certainly don't subscribe to the policy, "guilty until proven innocent".

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2008, 10:23 PM   #30
valentine
Banned

Watch: TT Diamond DJ
THATS beautiful, Matt!!! congratulations...what a piece of history that watch must be....those veterans of WWII are my heroes...and to think that THAT watch served a soldier makes it even more special...I think its wonderful that you wear it regularly! again, congratulations and wear it well...and welcome to the jumpiest, most fun, and most importantly....most imformative rolex forum on the net! take care, bud. hope you stick around.
valentine is offline   Reply With Quote