The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 September 2017, 08:27 PM   #1
KramH
"TRF" Member

Rolex Submariner Bracelet

I have just put my Submariner (2004) in for a service and Rolex are telling me that bracelet is scratched and very worn, and needs replacing at a cost of £1000.

I asked if they would just give it a polish and they said no.

So, I am guessing my options are:

1. Leave it as is.
2. Pay for a new bracelet.
3. Send it it Michael Young

What's the typical cost and duration for bracelet repair with MY? Will Rolex pickup on the repair and will that have any implications...?

Thanks, Mark
KramH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 09:37 PM   #2
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
If the bracelet is that bad, I would replace it. I'd worry about losing the watch off your wrist with a badly worn bracelet.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 09:46 PM   #3
Golf&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116719
That is a lot of wear. I have seen daily worn 30 year old models have their bracelets repolished by an RSC. Has it hard a hard life and did you feel that it was very stretched?
There's a UK repair service that does great work, many positive reviews, try a search.
Golf&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 10:53 PM   #4
KramH
"TRF" Member

I don't' believe it has had a hard life. When I received the quotation, I did ask if they had the correct watch! The strap has stretched, as you would expect in 13 years, but not, in my opinion, excessively.

I have worn the watch most days since 2004, whilst at work in an office or doing stuff around the house. It will have got knocked over the years, but never dropped.

So needless to say I was very surprised when i received the quotation!
Old 14 September 2017, 10:59 PM   #5
Bigblu10
Banned

Any pics? I would send to MY for a bracelet restore. Much cheaper than new and many love his work.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 11:13 PM   #6
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
I definitely would not go jumping in here straight off for a new bracelet. Whilst I can fully understand the scratches, it seems pretty odd given its age, that it would be overly stretched at this time. Was also unclear if their charge of £1000 entailed Rolex keeping the old bracelet? I would in any event give it a close inspection just to ensure that there is nothing obviously wrong as regards link screws or pins and if not, then maybe replace the springbars and away you go!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 11:25 PM   #7
luvan12
"TRF" Member

How bad is the bracelet? Do you mind posting pictures? You may be better off just leaving it and not wasting that money.
luvan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 11:46 PM   #8
KramH
"TRF" Member

I have just spoken with the Jeweller and they say that it is worn but not as bad as Rolex say.

They said that Rolex do err on the side of caution!

Asked them to send through the pictures from Rolex:

00-9394 Hodson (1) reduced.jpg

00-9394 Hodson (2) reduced.jpg

00-9394 Hodson (3) reduced.jpg

If it is not too bad Rolex will polish the bracelet to a degree they feel comfortable.

The Jeweller also said their technicians will polish it a bit further on my request.

Thoughts?
Old 14 September 2017, 11:53 PM   #9
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Here's what I would do.

Tell Rolex to perform all other services but leave the bracelet be and find a nice 116610 bracelet with glide lock clasp in the classifieds. Then when the watch comes back from service, slap that new bracelet on and you've got the best of both worlds...and basically a brand new watch.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 11:57 PM   #10
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Here's what I would do.

Tell Rolex to perform all other services but leave the bracelet be and find a nice 116610 bracelet with glide lock clasp in the classifieds. Then when the watch comes back from service, slap that new bracelet on and you've got the best of both worlds...and basically a brand new watch.
exactly!

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 12:00 AM   #11
KramH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Here's what I would do.

Like this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolex-Subm...-/302449934961

Sorry about the previous posts, but I can only post a link once I have post count of 10!
Old 15 September 2017, 12:04 AM   #12
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Doesn't look bad to me...
I wouldn't take them up on the replacement...
I like the idea of the glidelock bracelet, but if the old school tuna can works for you then I'd save the $$ and send it off to MY when necessary
Old 15 September 2017, 12:06 AM   #13
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by KramH View Post
Like this one?

Sorry about the previous posts, but i can only post a link once i have post count of 10!
Yeah, but they usually sell for around $1,800 (at least the last time I looked).
Old 15 September 2017, 12:11 AM   #14
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Like this one?

Sorry about the previous posts, but i can only post a link once i have post count of 10!
Whoa...that seems awfully low to me. I would be concerned with authenticity at that price point. But...if you trust the seller, then that could be a heck of a deal.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 01:01 AM   #15
KramH
"TRF" Member

I contacted the seller asking for proof of authenticity and would he accept a return should an authorised Rolex Jeweller say it is not authentic, and this was his response.

Hi Mark,

I bought this as genuine around 5 years ago paying £700. I never used it as I had intended to fit it to my 16610 Sub to update it.

The bracelet is sold as seen & I have no reason to suspect that it is not genuine. I am selling now to free up some cash for a new watch purchase.

There are no returns on this item due to previous issues with dodgy buyers who have attempted to return counterfeit items rather than the items actually sold.

Regards

It may well be, but am I willing to take the chance.... no.
Old 15 September 2017, 01:12 AM   #16
Bond's First Watch
Banned

Watch: Only the 114060
I love the seller's choice of words - bought this as genuine. It certainly doesn't mean it is.
Bond's First Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 08:32 AM   #17
Luap1976
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lnBBetaBBhar
The bracelet is fake ebay pulled the sale
Luap1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 08:43 AM   #18
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Do not underestimate the value of a new bracelet. Once the watch is back from service it should be like new. I personally would be very bothered by a ratty bracelet on a new looking watch. Saving a couple hundred quid on a bracelet of questionable authenticity is not worth it to me. When you get a new bracelet from Rolex you KNOW it's correct and authentic. It might sound like a good idea to save a little money now, but if you end up disillusioned with the watch because of it then it's no bargain. Spend the extra $300 now instead of possibly wasting the full $700.
Old 15 September 2017, 12:32 PM   #19
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Get the glidelock. It's a marvel! That's my plan. I sold off my 2005 16610 but plan on buying a 2006 model which is one of my children's birth year then add a glidelock to it. I also have a yachtmaster red second hand and genuine blue/silver bezel to customize it.
Alford78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 02:08 PM   #20
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Sorry about the previous posts, but I can only post a link once I have post count of 10!
No SUBctitute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 02:13 PM   #21
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have just put my Submariner (2004) in for a service and Rolex are telling me that bracelet is scratched and very worn, and needs replacing at a cost of £1000.

1. Leave it as is.

What's the typical cost and duration for bracelet repair with MY? Will Rolex pickup on the repair and will that have any implications...?

Thanks, Mark
Tell Rolex to pound sand.

Gather a few more shekels and try to source a glidelock bracelet if they fit your watch.
Old 15 September 2017, 11:08 PM   #22
KramH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Tell Rolex to pound sand.

Gather a few more shekels and try to source a glidelock bracelet if they fit your watch.
I asked if I could buy a glidelock for my watch and they are not allowed to sell me one! Also if I replace my bracelet they keep the old one.

Rolex trying to control the market to ensure originality and not allow Rolex parts to get into the used market place!

They have agreed to refurb the bracelet and do the best job they can, and in the meantime I will keep an eye out for glidelock.
Old 16 September 2017, 12:03 AM   #23
moorery2001
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
I would replace the bracelet if I were you.
moorery2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 12:33 AM   #24
RichardF
"TRF" Member

Quote:

1. Leave it as is.

Thanks, Mark

That's typical of what the RSC's are doing now. I saw them do that on a solid 18 KT gold band. It is just a way for them to make something extra on the service. The only problem I see is when they put that statement on your estimate especially when they claim the band may not be safe to wear with the watch and you don't replace it, I believe it might cause some possible issues in the future if an insurance claim is made. I think they should have to remove the recommendation off the final estimate when you refuse it and have the typical service done.
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 05:39 AM   #25
ChrisNY
"TRF" Member

I'm a little unclear if this is a cosmetic issue or something mechanical which could result in loss.

If cosmetic, like scratches & scuff marks, I'm not a fan of polishing. You'll get it back looking good minus what was polished, and then it will have scratches again after you wear it. Repeat this over and over and you'll have other issues. For tools and professional models, I don't mind signs of wear - but that's just me.

If mechanical, then that's another matter. You don't want the watch fall off, get lost or more damaged. In this case, I like the idea of trying to find another authentic bracelet that's correct. I'd keep the original bracelet that came with the watch with the books and papers, and get some wrist time with a new band or pre-owned if you can find it.

Hope all works out.
ChrisNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 02:09 PM   #26
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I asked if I could buy a glidelock for my watch and they are not allowed to sell me one! Also if I replace my bracelet they keep the old one.

Rolex trying to control the market to ensure originality and not allow Rolex parts to get into the used market place!

They have agreed to refurb the bracelet and do the best job they can, and in the meantime I will keep an eye out for glidelock.
The bracelet refurb will just be part of the normal service? Sounds good.

Knock on the door of every AD and used Rolex re-seller and ask to buy a Glidelock. You might get lucky.
Old 16 September 2017, 06:15 PM   #27
Porter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor....
Keep the bracelet and send it to MY. If the bracelet is in bad conditions MY will say to you and for sure will give you more options to think about it.

"If you're not having fun you're doing something wrong". Groucho Marx.
Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 11:22 PM   #28
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I put a glidelock clasp on my 14060M and I will never go back. It has to be the most comfortable clasp I have ever put on my wrist. The only problem is finding one since Rolex will not ship one to an AD anymore without a damaged one to return back. Took me months to find one and darn near had to give my right arm for it.
Old 16 September 2017, 11:34 PM   #29
cpefy3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014, 16600
Put it on a NATO or Everest... send it to MY, he did wonders on my jubilee. His rates were $180 USD for Stainless plus $33 USD for shipping (not including insurance which is 2% of the value) about 8 months ago. It took me 5 weeks door to door and kept my bracelet code matching my head. I would def not pay RSC for new band.
cpefy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 05:14 AM   #30
southcarolina1801
"TRF" Member

I would pay and replace the bracelet. Let Rolex do it right
southcarolina1801 is offline   Reply With Quote