The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 September 2017, 01:02 PM   #1
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

Elective Service Question

I apologize if these questions are poor or have been covered, but I have no experience with RSC or other independents.

Over the last month I acquired both a RG and WG DD2 with wave dial. Both examples were extremely well priced, but were certainly used. Upon receipt of the pieces, I am really unhappy with their condition based on how I care for the remainder of my collection.

For me, one piece would need a new bezel and the other example would need a new crystal, possibly new hands, and a new bezel.

I'm not really sure what to do, or where to send them. I can certainly return them at no financial loss, but my research has shown that new pieces are approximately 5k more per watch. Apparently these DD2s are hot right now.

Although a serial flipper, I see these in my collection for a bit.

What would you guys do?

JPS
Old 30 September 2017, 07:27 PM   #2
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
Get them serviced and enjoy them!
Old 30 September 2017, 07:32 PM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidtdmd View Post
For me, one piece would need a new bezel and the other example would need a new crystal, possibly new hands, and a new bezel.

I'm not really sure what to do, or where to send them. I can certainly return them at no financial loss, but my research has shown that new pieces are approximately 5k more per watch. Apparently these DD2s are hot right now.

JPS
I would probably send them back. After a service and a new gold bezel, hands, and crystal your 5k in savings is going to be minimal.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 08:15 PM   #4
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
I would probably send them back. After a service and a new gold bezel, hands, and crystal your 5k in savings is going to be minimal.
Sounds about PRICED RIGHT then

Love it how Demand vs Supply brings about a Market Clearing price.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2017, 02:29 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
. . . I'm not really sure what to do, or where to send them. I can certainly return them at no financial loss, but my research has shown that new pieces are approximately 5k more per watch. Apparently these DD2s are hot right now.

. . . What would you guys do?
JPS
Depends on your goals.

Everything is not about how much money you can wring out of it.

True collectors and enthusiasts enjoy the item they collect, will spend the money to care for it, and get it to the condition in which they are satisfied and can enjoy it to it's fullest.
Old 1 October 2017, 10:39 AM   #6
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Depends on your goals.

Everything is not about how much money you can wring out of it.

True collectors and enthusiasts enjoy the item they collect, will spend the money to care for it, and get it to the condition in which they are satisfied and can enjoy it to it's fullest.
^ That is exactly how I feel. I am also very meticulous about my items. These watches which were described as mint by two different dealers, but are unfortunately not up to my standards.

I suppose I was expecting a suggestion that it would either be cheaper to fix them and enjoy them the way I want, vs returning them and spending more for new examples.
Old 1 October 2017, 11:17 AM   #7
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I suppose I was expecting a suggestion that it would either be cheaper to fix them and enjoy them the way I want, vs returning them and spending more for new examples.
Have you gotten any quotes to get them fixed?

As they're latemodel send them to RSC and get a quote to fix what you want fixed, at least you'll know where exactly you stand.

No idea how anybody makes decent economic decisions without proper costings analysis.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote