The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 November 2017, 12:19 AM   #1
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Submariner Getting Service Under Warranty

Not a very exciting post friends, just thought I'd share.

Rewind a year or two, I remember reading a post about someone who brought their watch into RSC, just to have it looked over, as it approached the end of the warranty. This always stuck with me.

Fast forward, my 116610LV warranty is up in Jan, so I decided to have it looked over. Turns out it needs some attention. Low Amplitude and the timing is off.

Anyway, just as that thread gave me the idea, I figured I'd share my experience with others. I'm happy to receive a fresh service going into my watch's new chapter of expired warranty.

Annnnnnd here's a pic, cause why not ;)
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 12:22 AM   #2
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Sweet...and a great pic, too (as usual!)
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 12:30 AM   #3
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Do you still get the 2-yr extra service warranty when it's a under-warranty free service?
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 12:34 AM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post

Rewind a year or two, I remember reading a post about someone who brought their watch into RSC, just to have it looked over, as it approached the end of the warranty. This always stuck with me.

Fast forward, my 116610LV warranty is up in Jan, so I decided to have it looked over. Turns out it needs some attention. Low Amplitude and the timing is off.

Anyway, just as that thread gave me the idea, I figured I'd share my experience with others. I'm happy to receive a fresh service going into my watch's new chapter of expired warranty.

Annnnnnd here's a pic, cause why not ;)
Have you a anything written from Rolex that the watch had a full service?, if not then expect they just done simple regulation nothing more.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 12:37 AM   #5
Beowulf
"TRF" Member

Quote:

How did you justify taking it there? Didn't they ask "What's wrong with it?" I'd assume "Just to have a check" wouldn't be a good answer with most service centers.

Was timing off by a large margin?

I like the idea of having it checked soon before warranty expires to avoid expenses (something good even with a car) but it might be tricky to justify it if there isn't an obvious flaw.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 12:43 AM   #6
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have you a anything written from Rolex that the watch had a full service?, if not then expect they just done simple regulation nothing more.
No I don't have a print out, but they said 2-3 weeks. Can't imagine a regulation would take that long. She also said they will provide a full service. Wouldn't put it past someone at RSC to misinform me though lol.
Old 1 November 2017, 12:44 AM   #7
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
Do you still get the 2-yr extra service warranty when it's a under-warranty free service?
Good question! My guess is no, but I'll find out.
Old 1 November 2017, 12:45 AM   #8
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
How did you justify taking it there? Didn't they ask "What's wrong with it?" I'd assume "Just to have a check" wouldn't be a good answer with most service centers.

Was timing off by a large margin?

I like the idea of having it checked soon before warranty expires to avoid expenses (something good even with a car) but it might be tricky to justify it if there isn't an obvious flaw.
I told them exactly what I told you guys which is that the warranty is almost up, and I just wanted to make sure everything with the watch was tip top.

I did tell them the power reserve seemed slightly low which is true, but that was it.
Old 1 November 2017, 12:45 AM   #9
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Sweet...and a great pic, too (as usual!)
Thank you my friend! 🙏
Old 1 November 2017, 01:00 AM   #10
Sshaughn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

stunning watch, great picture!
Old 1 November 2017, 01:31 AM   #11
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sshaughn View Post
stunning watch, great picture!
Thanks Scott!
Old 1 November 2017, 01:34 AM   #12
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Good thread i would be curious to know if indeed you get the full service or just regulation. I have the same piece but the card was punched in August so still almost full warranty.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 01:38 AM   #13
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Good idea, and especially good if you can walk it into a RSC rather than sending it.

I will be curious to see what they say they did. Does an RSC warrantee claim come back with a list of what was done, or is it just a watch in a pouch?
Old 1 November 2017, 01:41 AM   #14
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
No I don't have a print out, but they said 2-3 weeks. Can't imagine a regulation would take that long. She also said they will provide a full service. Wouldn't put it past someone at RSC to misinform me though lol.
Not sure how they would stay in business if they provided a free service for everyone who has a watch that is close to being out of warranty and wants a check up? After all, warranty is for manufacturing defects not a well worn watch that needs movement service.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 01:46 AM   #15
Gina Marie
"TRF" Member

Do not let them polish or refinish the case in any way.

Hardly anyone has the foresight to check prior to warranty expiration. Well done. I will mark my calendar for mine.
Gina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 02:34 AM   #16
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
This only reaffirms the good practice of having your timepiece regularly serviced even if it seems to be working well. So many people want to wear them until they malfunction. With the five year warranty I think many owners will be having them checked out in the final months and obtain a warranted overhaul which by then is usually due.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 02:56 AM   #17
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
This only reaffirms the good practice of having your timepiece regularly serviced even if it seems to be working well. So many people want to wear them until they malfunction. With the five year warranty I think many owners will be having them checked out in the final months and obtain a warranted overhaul which by then is usually due.
I don't like to have my watches opened unless they have to be. We've heard plenty of horror stories of watches sent in for routine maintenance and they come back worse than they went in.

It is however good to get your watch checked right before the warranty period is about to expire. There may be something wrong with it might as well get it serviced under warranty than pay for it a short time later.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 03:02 AM   #18
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Great pic indeed.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 03:22 AM   #19
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

I don't believe Rolex will provide a free service after five years; however, if there was a fault, even a small one, they would be obliged to fix it.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 03:30 AM   #20
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Not sure how they would stay in business if they provided a free service for everyone who has a watch that is close to being out of warranty and wants a check up? After all, warranty is for manufacturing defects not a well worn watch that needs movement service.
I agree, except that's not what's happening here.

I don't think Rolex is throwing around "free services". There's something wrong with my watch and they're fixing it. Simple as that.

Someone here can correct me if I'm wrong, but a watch with low amplitude is not the same thing as a watch that needs simple regulation.

Anyone know what's required to correct low amplitude?
Old 1 November 2017, 03:39 AM   #21
karmatp
"TRF" Member

I sent my Explorer II in a few months ago for basically the same thing. Mine was also running about 15 seconds slow a day. It now runs near perfect and has a great power reserve.

All the paperwork says is, "movement check" . It does not detail what they actually did. There is no extended warranty on free warranty work.
Old 1 November 2017, 06:15 AM   #22
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
I agree, except that's not what's happening here.

I don't think Rolex is throwing around "free services". There's something wrong with my watch and they're fixing it. Simple as that.

Someone here can correct me if I'm wrong, but a watch with low amplitude is not the same thing as a watch that needs simple regulation.

Anyone know what's required to correct low amplitude?
I believe it is a simple adjustment on the escapement bridge. Someone correct me if need be.
Old 1 November 2017, 06:19 AM   #23
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Old 1 November 2017, 07:13 AM   #24
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Lol. Have you seen Rolex’ margins?
Old 1 November 2017, 07:58 AM   #25
3ther
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good question! My guess is no, but I'll find out.
Unfortunately no service warranty will be issued after an original warranty service. My understanding is that they do perform a full service, but no refinishing work with warranties. The 2-3 week timeframe will give you the ultrasonic cleaning of case/components, cleaning, regulating, and timekeeping assessment. You will get some paperwork from Rolex when all is said and done, but it will say little more than "Service compliments of Rolex"

That said, you should get quite a bit of time out of it. Great shot, Chad!
3ther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 08:01 AM   #26
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Lol. Have you seen Rolex’ margins?
Is that information publicly available?
imperio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 08:07 AM   #27
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Thanks for sharing your experience and can't wait to see it back on your wrist with your follow up post.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 08:08 AM   #28
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
Absolutely Not!
Old 1 November 2017, 08:08 AM   #29
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
I don't really know. But common perception is the variable cost of producing a Rolex is a pretty small percentage of their wholesale price, so even if they had to pay for a service with each watch (which of course doesn't cost them $1,000), I still think they would be ok financially. But obviously not as ok as they are now.
Old 10 November 2017, 05:25 AM   #30
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Update

UPDATE:

Still don't have my watch back, but I did just confirm this would be a full "overhaul" service.

One other interesting note, is that under the "Watch Condition" section of the Service Order, it states "Bezel Scratched". I was very surprised to hear this and assumed that they were speaking of the SS Bezel and not the Ceramic Insert. Well, I just got off the phone with Rolex and they told me that they are in fact speaking of the ceramic bezel insert.

I told them I was quite surprised because, A. I've never seen a scratch on the bezel, and B. I thought the cerachrom was "virtually scratch-proof".

She told me that if the scratch was significant there would be the option to replace the insert (for a fee). She said that this scratch is only something that could be seen under very powerful magnification.

Anyhow, I've not really formulate much of an opinion about this yet, but thought it was interesting. Should have my watch back at the end of next week.