The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 November 2017, 10:25 AM   #61
aquatimerfla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
This is confusing. So you're saying what i did was a waste of time?

I'm the OP. I actually never said I had issues with the watch. Rolex told me there was issues with the watch, so thank you for having faith in me, but it's not necessary. As I previously mentioned, i brought the watch in, told them the warranty was up soon and asked them to look it over.

They told me the amplitude was low and the timing was off. They said it needed service and they'd cover a full overhaul under warranty for free. Cool with me.

I didn't try to 'trick' anyone.
Pretty much thats what I am saying. Yes. Waste of time. Just so happened apparently you had problems but truth be told you didnt 'notice' any issues anyways and would have probably never known the difference. I would bet for every 10 people that do what you did that 9 would have their watch handed back saying 'everything is fine'.

So again. Yes. I would suggest to someone don't waste your time if your watch is running fine and not having any issues.
aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 10:25 AM   #62
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
cool thanks! Any specific brand you recommend? So if you're watch is out of spec do you perform service yourself? That's impressive.
Having your own timegrapher makes your description of an issue more quantitative when talking to a watchmaker rather than a qualitative opinion or conjecture. I can tell a watchmaker that my amplitude is low (tested in x number of positions) or what my error rate looks like. It’s a very useful diagnostic tool even for casual owners.

I’m a big fan of Witschi equipment if you want quality gear. Not cheap though. I perform service on any ETA movement watches I own myself. I’d service Rolex myself but I don’t have a parts account and finding Rolex parts is difficult.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 10:29 AM   #63
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatimerfla View Post
Pretty much thats what I am saying. Yes. Waste of time. Just so happened apparently you had problems but truth be told you didnt 'notice' any issues anyways and would have probably never known the difference. I would bet for every 10 people that do what you did that 9 would have their watch handed back saying 'everything is fine'.

So again. Yes. I would suggest to someone don't waste your time if your watch is running fine and not having any issues.
haha ok that's a fair response.

Agree to disagree
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 10:30 AM   #64
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I’m a big fan of Witschi equipment if you want quality gear. I perform service on any ETA movement watches I own myself. I’d service Rolex myself but I don’t have a parts account and finding Rolex parts is difficult.
that's cool man! Thanks for the recommendation. One day when I have more time and patience I'd like to learn some basics.
Old 16 November 2017, 12:29 AM   #65
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

The green monster is on it's way home

Got the notification from RSC yesterday that they should be shipping it home to me today. I feel like I'm getting a new watch. Very excited to have it back. It's made me realize how much I love the watch and how useful it is in my rotation.
Old 16 November 2017, 12:42 AM   #66
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina Marie View Post
Do not let them polish or refinish the case in any way.

Hardly anyone has the foresight to check prior to warranty expiration. Well done. I will mark my calendar for mine.
This is personal preference but getting a polish done is really not a big deal. They make the watch look like brand new and not every sports Rolex will be worth tens of thousands down the road. I agree it's not necessary for a new <5 years old watch but if the watch has been worn often and has some marks that are bothering you why not?
Old 16 November 2017, 12:51 AM   #67
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecorsaire View Post
This is personal preference but getting a polish done is really not a big deal. They make the watch look like brand new and not every sports Rolex will be worth tens of thousands down the road. I agree it's not necessary for a new <5 years old watch but if the watch has been worn often and has some marks that are bothering you why not?
Generally speaking I agree with this. Polish, no polish, not a big deal, however the person executing has to be an expert for sure. Unfortunately most are not. So for me I won't have a watch polished unless I know exactly who is doing it.

In this case (no pun intended) the watch will not be polished. Not only did I make sure the watch would not be polished, but for a service under warranty a polishing is not included. I'd have to pay extra.
Old 16 November 2017, 02:10 AM   #68
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Generally speaking I agree with this. Polish, no polish, not a big deal, however the person executing has to be an expert for sure. Unfortunately most are not. So for me I won't have a watch polished unless I know exactly who is doing it.

In this case (no pun intended) the watch will not be polished. Not only did I make sure the watch would not be polished, but for a service under warranty a polishing is not included. I'd have to pay extra.
Yeah I wouldn't pay extra for it. I would get it done with an overhaul down the road instead. Btw that white gold Oysterflex Daytona in your avatar is just beautiful. I tried on all three in Germany and this was my favorite one. Really well executed. I really think most are better off going for a PM Daytona instead of paying near PM prices for SS ones. With PM you're getting your money's worth and not over paying because of short-term market conditions. You also get panda dials which are limited to PM ever since the Zenith's were introduced.
Old 16 November 2017, 05:11 AM   #69
chrito
"TRF" Member

great timepiece
chrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 02:46 AM   #70
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

And she’s back!!!!

Everything in good order. Not polished but looks to be cleaned really well and dead on accurate after 12 hours.

Old 19 November 2017, 05:28 AM   #71
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
And she’s back!!!!

Everything in good order. Not polished but looks to be cleaned really well and dead on accurate after 12 hours.

Glad it's back. Was it a full movement service? If so she is good to go for another 8 years or so hopefully!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 06:18 AM   #72
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Glad it's back. Was it a full movement service? If so she is good to go for another 8 years or so hopefully!
Yes, full overhaul service. 8 years would be great, although it had only been three and it required service so i supposed ya never know.