The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 November 2017, 05:38 AM   #1
Burrost1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex red 1680
Rolex 16550 1991 service dial??

Looking at a Rolex explorer 16550 dated 1988 based on its serial number.It has the fat font bezel, full Rolex service in 2008 but the dial is very white and has 'Swiss Made' in the bottom. From other watches i've seen most have the Swiss T <25 dial.
Does this mean that the watch has a service dial??
Presume that lowers the cost!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1FF487B1-5D33-4FBD-A03D-ACBD976A7CFE.jpeg (41.4 KB, 324 views)
Burrost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 06:18 AM   #2
Woody
"TRF" Member

Swiss Made is a super luminova dial which was available from around 2000 (after the tritium dials marked T-25 they had a couple of years with dials just just marked "Swiss"). To complicate matters service replacement dials are normally also marked "Swiss". Are you sure this is a 16550 and not just a late model 16570? Might be an idea to check the serial number again. If it is a 16550 then perhaps someone just switched a later dial in at some stage - if that is the case then it will have an impact on the value to a collector but ultimately it is worth whatever you are prepared to pay for it.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 06:26 AM   #3
Burrost1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Swiss Made is a super luminova dial which was available from around 2000 (after the tritium dials marked T-25 they had a couple of years with dials just just marked "Swiss"). To complicate matters service replacement dials are normally also marked "Swiss". Are you sure this is a 16550 and not just a late model 16570? Might be an idea to check the serial number again. If it is a 16550 then perhaps someone just switched a later dial in at some stage - if that is the case then it will have an impact on the value to a collector but ultimately it is worth whatever you are prepared to pay for it.
Price is 2.4gbp.
Service paper from Rolex states it’s a 16550 R636xxx serial number. One owner from new!
Old 9 November 2017, 06:40 AM   #4
Woody
"TRF" Member

Well that is not the correct dial for a 16550 so it has been changed at some stage but the bonus is that you should be able to read it in the dark!!. I guess the price (which is low in relative terms) reflects this. Down to you really. If you trust the seller and are looking to use this as a proper tool watch then it could be a good buy. If you can stretch your budget a little further then there will be better examples out there. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 9 November 2017, 06:56 AM   #5
Burrost1
"TRF" Member

It’s going to be a daily wearer to keep the ‘miles’ off my red 1680!
Old 9 November 2017, 07:17 AM   #6
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Nothing wrong with the dial, and it's not "incorrect." It's a Rolex service replacement.
swish77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 04:18 PM   #7
Burrost1
"TRF" Member

Anyone else have any comments???
Old 9 November 2017, 04:39 PM   #8
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrost1 View Post
Anyone else have any comments???
If the watch is circa 1988, your suspicions are correct and the dial has been replaced - probably at a service at some point in the past. Tritium dials were correct used through up to 1997.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 04:43 PM   #9
Burrost1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
If the watch is circa 1988, your suspicions are correct and the dial has been replaced - probably at a service at some point in the past. Tritium dials were correct used through up to 1997.
Thanks! I presume this would drastically reduce the value of the watch?
Could you buy an old dial to put in??
Old 10 November 2017, 02:01 AM   #10
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Thanks! I presume this would drastically reduce the value of the watch?
Could you buy an old dial to put in??
Yes,It hurts the value pretty significantly.You could source an original dial but expect to have a Heart Attack when you see the price.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 02:19 AM   #11
Burrost1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
Yes,It hurts the value pretty significantly.You could source an original dial but expect to have a Heart Attack when you see the price.
It’s all about the patina!!! The watch hasn’t cost me much at 2.4k GBP so with a good overhaul for around 350gbp it’s happy days!
Though rather it was original!
Old 10 November 2017, 03:16 AM   #12
05carbondrz
Banned

I think you did good,I would be a buyer at that price and I’m not even in the Market for a new Watch.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 03:17 AM   #13
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
It’s all about the patina!!! The watch hasn’t cost me much at 2.4k GBP so with a good overhaul for around 350gbp it’s happy days!
Though rather it was original!
Tritium Explorer II dials are not that hard to find. They are probably priced around $500-$700.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 03:39 AM   #14
Burrost1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Tritium Explorer II dials are not that hard to find. They are probably priced around $500-$700.
Really!! That’s some good news!!
Old 10 November 2017, 04:36 AM   #15
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

If you're going that route, you might as well try to get a set of tritium hands too, ideally with matching (or close) patina. Presumably, the hands were also changed at service.
Old 10 November 2017, 07:15 AM   #16
Woody
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Nothing wrong with the dial, and it's not "incorrect." It's a Rolex service replacement.
Just to clarify, what I was trying to say (perhaps not very well) is that the dial is not "incorrect" but it is not the dial that would have been on this watch when first sold. Most of the service dials I have seen are just marked "Swiss" but others on here have far more knowledge than me.

OP - You can source a correct dial and handset, just depends how much effort and cash you want to spend. Sometimes it is a better option to search for another example that fits your requirements.......but sourcing parts and getting the watch how you would like it can also be a lot of fun. Good luck.
Old 11 November 2017, 03:54 AM   #17
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Just to clarify, what I was trying to say (perhaps not very well) is that the dial is not "incorrect" but it is not the dial that would have been on this watch when first sold. Most of the service dials I have seen are just marked "Swiss" but others on here have far more knowledge than me.

OP - You can source a correct dial and handset, just depends how much effort and cash you want to spend. Sometimes it is a better option to search for another example that fits your requirements.......but sourcing parts and getting the watch how you would like it can also be a lot of fun. Good luck.
Maybe just semantics, but a dial that Rolex installs in any watch is not wrong or incorrect. It’s just a service replacement, like the one in the OP’s watch. Sure, we all prefer the original dial, but tracking down an original-style dial is doable for the Explorer IIs without breaking the bank.
Old 12 November 2017, 01:06 AM   #18
Burrost1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Maybe just semantics, but a dial that Rolex installs in any watch is not wrong or incorrect. It’s just a service replacement, like the one in the OP’s watch. Sure, we all prefer the original dial, but tracking down an original-style dial is doable for the Explorer IIs without breaking the bank.
Thanks! Took the watch to my Rolex dealer, all checks out and service inscribed on case back. Pressure checked so good to go. At 2.4k gbp that's one cheap Rolex sports!!
Thanks again guys!!
Old 12 November 2017, 01:16 AM   #19
RichardF
"TRF" Member

The Rolex Explorer II had problems with some of the early dials not glowing. Rolex did replace a lot of them with the luminova. This could be the reason you have this dial. I wouldn’t worry about it.
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 04:55 AM   #20
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Looks like a nice watch..

The 16550 was only made for a few years and so any of them have excellent potential.

If it had an original cream-dial, then it is a shame to have changed it although there is little that could be done now. One of those would be difficult and expensive to find.
Old 12 November 2017, 05:55 AM   #21
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
If I was looking for a 16550 so should it have a Tritium dial, that is the difference from a 16570. If I want a Luminova dial so is the 16570
a better option IMHO.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 09:44 PM   #22
Woody
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks! Took the watch to my Rolex dealer, all checks out and service inscribed on case back. Pressure checked so good to go. At 2.4k gbp that's one cheap Rolex sports!!
Thanks again guys!!
Hope you enjoy the watch