The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 November 2017, 11:31 PM   #1
PulsarSteff
"TRF" Member

To polish or not

I am thinking of selling my Sub Date to finance the watch that has been haunting me for the last year, the BLNR...
I take good care of my watches but the bracelet shows of course some desk diving scratches especially on the clasp.

no dent do ding no deep scratches just the usual swirls...

Should I take the bracelet to the RSC and have them to do a little polish?
will they polish the bracelet without doing a complete service? (the watch is only 2 years old)?
is it worth it?

I myself alway buy BNIB or LNIB so I don't really know the expectation of second hands buyers..

Thanks.
PulsarSteff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 11:34 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarSteff View Post
I am thinking of selling my Sub Date to finance the watch that has been haunting me for the last year, the BLNR...
I take good care of my watches but the bracelet shows of course some desk diving scratches especially on the clasp.

will they polish the bracelet without doing a complete service? (the watch is only 2 years old)?
is it worth it?

I myself alway buy BNIB or LNIB so I don't really know the expectation of second hands buyers..

Thanks.
Rolex will not polish only find a independent that will do a light polish myself would sell it as it is .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 11:35 PM   #3
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

If there are no dents and dings and just the usual swirl marks, I would leave it unpolished. From pure speculation I believe polishing would lower the value of your watch more than leaving it unpolished given the certain circumstances.
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 11:35 PM   #4
hulkalicious
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LVC
Quote:

is it worth it?

Thanks.
In UK they will only do it as part of a service
hulkalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 11:36 PM   #5
tifosi
"TRF" Member

I would personally not polish it. Let the new buyer deal with it if they'd like. I don't think you will get the money back out of it if you pay to have it polished.

Besides there is always a risk of it not being perfect when it comes back. That's what I'd be most worried about. Sell/trade it in the condition it is in.
Old 9 November 2017, 11:38 PM   #6
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
don't polish it. chances are the person that will buy it will not put it in a glass display case.
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 11:39 PM   #7
rolex75216
"TRF" Member

Any buyer should understand that daily wear and tear is normal and that it is next to impossible to avoid scratches. You could offer a small discount that would cover the cost of them taking it to an independent of their choice to make it look like new again. That would provide you the opportunity to sell it and move on to the watch you want and give the buyer more flexibility to take it were they would like to.
Old 9 November 2017, 11:39 PM   #8
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Don't
Old 9 November 2017, 11:40 PM   #9
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

It’s only original once!
ckaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 11:41 PM   #10
PulsarSteff
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys for your input, I'll leave it unpolished.
Old 9 November 2017, 11:47 PM   #11
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
As a buyer of used watches, I'd go unpolished with desk diving swirls any day over polished. I'd like as much original metal there as possible.
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 01:04 AM   #12
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Without a polish it will be much more difficult to sell and you may need to lower your price.
Nobody buys a scratched watch, this is the reason why all dealers touch up their watches before offering them on the market.
Old 10 November 2017, 01:21 AM   #13
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I prefer unpolished used watches
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 02:13 AM   #14
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Good decision. Leave it unpolished, and let the new owner decide how to proceed.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 02:13 AM   #15
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:

is it worth it?

Thanks.
How are you intending to sell it?

If its to the trade, a few light marks on the clasp and bracelet will make no difference in price.

If you are looking at a provate sale, most purchasers will be more concerned with perceived condition than they will be about the missing microns of material a light bracelet and clasp polish will remove (if that)

Most desk swirls and marks are where the grain has been flattened and thefore appears more shiny. A light hand buff with say a scotchbrite pad will simply create grain over those areas and restore the brushed finish. The horror stories on here are where the refinishing is done heavy handedly by an inexperienced operator with a machine.

And as has been posted above, I'd bet every singe TS on here will give used bracelets a light refinishing before sale without any concerns whatsoever.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 01:44 PM   #16
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaynyc View Post
It’s only original once!
I've never purchased a new, original watch with scratches or swirl marks.

Polish the swirls, it won't hurt the value one dime. Most buyers of preowned watches are not forum oriented nor swayed by all the "unpolished" talk seen on the forums.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 02:00 PM   #17
tng11
"TRF" Member

I'd get the swirls taken out. I've found watches I maintain as-is much harder to move. Many TS on here give their watches for sale a polish - sometimes it's quite easy to tell. People tend to overblow this issue especially on 6 digit Rolexes. Just make sure you don't give it to somebody hamhanded like that guy with his Hulk that got butchered.

And RSC policy differs around the world. HK RSC did a polish only for me a few years back. The RSC in Toronto also offers light polishing for watches under warranty, at no cost.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 02:08 PM   #18
MacanS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk, Z blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
I'd get the swirls taken out. I've found watches I maintain as-is much harder to move. Many TS on here give their watches for sale a polish - sometimes it's quite easy to tell. People tend to overblow this issue especially on 6 digit Rolexes. Just make sure you don't give it to somebody hamhanded like that guy with his Hulk that got butchered.

And RSC policy differs around the world. HK RSC did a polish only for me a few years back. The RSC in Toronto also offers light polishing for watches under warranty, at no cost.
That mine! Wasn’t the end of the world. Even Rikki said the guy didn’t do a horrid job, just used the wrong wheel. Easily fixed and you can’t even tell now
MacanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 09:10 PM   #19
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Agree with those advocating a light polish. Done properly it will attract more potential buyers and realize a better sale price.

As stated, most trusted sellers give theirs a light polish as part of the sale prep and I haven't seen many complaints. I'd trust the professionals over the "never polish" mantra read on forums.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 10:04 PM   #20
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Leave it alone. Find a Trusted Seller and work a deal. The trouble of getting a professional polish and the risk of it not being right would outweigh any benefit, in my opinion.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 10:07 PM   #21
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Polished = new
Unpolished = used
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 10:13 PM   #22
HONDABBQ
"TRF" Member

Run a cape cod cloth over it for a few minutes. Makes a world of difference.
HONDABBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 10:44 PM   #23
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Good decision, the new owner can have it polished if they want but once polished you can’t undo the deed. Also if you have it done and it goes bad then you’ll end up having it done a second time.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 10:45 PM   #24
peterpl
Banned

A light polish will NOT reduce the price value of the watch. Most dealers of second hand watches will lightly polish used pieces to make them presentable. No-one wants to buy a scratched up watch.

The only polishing that messes with the values are those hack jobs when taken to the wrong person where they cant brush correctly or take so much of the metal off things like the clasp logo are all worn down.

Just take it to the right person for a light touchup and it will not lose value and sell 100x faster.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 11:59 PM   #25
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Without a polish it will be much more difficult to sell and you may need to lower your price.
Nobody buys a scratched watch, this is the reason why all dealers touch up their watches before offering them on the market.
^This for sure. The average watch buyer would much rather buy a pre-owned watch that looks new than one with visible scratches, which is achieved through some light touching up (i.e. polishing). DavidSW and other frequent sellers here polish all their watches before listing them for sale. Just make sure it's done by someone trained in Rolex finishing so that it's done right.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 12:22 AM   #26
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDABBQ View Post
Run a cape cod cloth over it for a few minutes. Makes a world of difference.
ooooooo, I don't think that's such a good idea for the brushed finish... for the polished bits, sure. But not the bracelet.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 12:36 AM   #27
tng11
"TRF" Member

I personally have only ever had a Rolex polished by an RSC and they always do it right. Their prices are also reasonable (I remember paying less than US$100 to polish a pretty beat up 116713LN at the HK RSC), or in the case of Toronto RSC, even free if it's under warranty. I realize however, that some RSCs don't permit refinishing without a service.

The hard truth is most pieces for sale by TS have been touched up in some respects (maybe outside of pieces like AP or PP where the refinish should be done by the factory.) It seems there's a relatively small, but very vocal group against any type of polishing, but in my experience, many buyers don't see it the same way.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 01:15 AM   #28
PulsarSteff
"TRF" Member

Thanks Tom, I will go to the RSC on St. Clair ave next week and see if they can do a light polishing.

I understand the pros and cons about polishing and I really appreciate everyone's advice.
Old 11 November 2017, 01:34 AM   #29
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I would polish it or better yet if the potential buyer is down to earth, I would show him the watch and ask him if he would like you to get it polished for him before the transaction. Usually when the watch has few marks even GM shops will leave them unpolished and up to the buyer. If it's never been done only a tiny bit of material will be removed and the watch will look brand new which will fetch you top dollar. Since the Sub bracelet is brushed scratches aren't very visible. They are much more annoying on PCLs but even then only really up close. If the watch is washed and clean, no one will notice scratches at normal distances. All of this polishing ruins the watch and its value business has gotten out of hand. Yes, unpolished, original vintage Pateks and Rolex are worth a lot of money but that's not going to be the case with every watch and Subs are really a dime a dozen. Due to so many high profile auctions many people aren't even fully enjoying their watches worrying about scratches and other things.

They will always go up in value whenever Rolex increases prices but aside from the vintage ones with creamy markers, the 16610 and 116610 have been really mass produced and due to Superluminova and Chromalite there is really no aging potential. Much less on the ceramic models. They will probably look almost the same in 50 years.The new ones are also much more substantial. For example it is very easy to flatten the crown on the vintage clasps from over polishing which makes the watches look really worn.

I would be much more concerned about a replaced crystal or crown than a simple polish. I haven't seen a replacement crystal with a lupe, but it would bother me is there was an S on the LEC or if the crystal didn't have it on a model that is supposed to.
Old 11 November 2017, 01:54 AM   #30
RichardF
"TRF" Member

Bottom line unless it is really a collectable Rolex and a collector is buying you are better off having it polished. The percent of actual buyers who prefer it to remain in its current state are very small. It is a lot like selling a car physical appearance is everything.
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote