The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 November 2017, 01:33 AM   #1
Yousefsl
"TRF" Member

Advice purchasing a 2006 Rolex GMT Master II 16710

Hello all I was looking into purchasing a GMT Master II 16710, I managed to find a D serial with full box and papers, from a dealer I trust, the overall condition looks great with some light dings. I have bought from this dealer before and they have proven to be very trustworthy.

The dealer has informed me that the watch has been lightly polished in the past but nothing too major, I'd just like your advice on weather this watch has been over polished or is in good condition for its €7950 ($8690) price tag.

Thank you all again in advance for your help!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Yousefsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 01:45 AM   #2
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

The watch is nice and not over polished but the full set should be checked out as that's an older box. To that point, all other components of this full set should be vetted. Also, this isn't vintage imho.

I don't know the market for these so can't comment on price but seems expensive to me.

Take your time and enjoy the hunt!
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 01:46 AM   #3
mineral
"TRF" Member

The price seems slightly high. But the full set GMT is getting more expensive now. If you could negotiate further and I think it's worth to get.
Old 11 November 2017, 01:54 AM   #4
Tony64
"TRF" Member

I makes me feel really old to see a 2006 posted in the vintage section!

If you trust the seller that's the most important consideration. When I can't examine the watch in person I'm always hesitant to rely on photos alone to judge condition. I'll trust an established seller's description over photos any day. Often condition is even better than it photographs.

On a side note, it amazes me how prices of these GMT's continue the climb. Seems more and more are above $8k now. Hard to believe how hot the market has become. I'm beginning to wonder if this reflects an apathy for the current catalogue offerings...

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 02:03 AM   #5
Yousefsl
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your replies so far, the prices are really sky rocketing, I've turned down similar examples in the past for almost €2000 less than this examples price but who would have known.

I have attached this cut out from gmtmasterhistory.com it states here that the new boxes and warranty card where introduced in 2007 with the Z series, perhaps that's why this one comes with the old box.

Would you recommend going for this model or hang out a bit longer for a less polished example.

Sorry perhaps I shouldn't have posted this thread in the vintage Rolex section.

Thanks again!

Old 11 November 2017, 03:46 AM   #6
Yousefsl
"TRF" Member

Here are some more high resolution pictures, you can defiantly see the watch has been loved.

Old 11 November 2017, 04:08 AM   #7
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

Advice purchasing a 2006 Rolex GMT Master II 16710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousefsl View Post
Thank you all for your replies so far, the prices are really sky rocketing, I've turned down similar examples in the past for almost €2000 less than this examples price but who would have known.

I have attached this cut out from gmtmasterhistory.com it states here that the new boxes and warranty card where introduced in 2007 with the Z series, perhaps that's why this one comes with the old box.

Would you recommend going for this model or hang out a bit longer for a less polished example.

Sorry perhaps I shouldn't have posted this thread in the vintage Rolex section.

Thanks again!

That is not the right box. That just says that the warranty cards started in 2007. Not the box. I purchased a D serial 16710 from DavidSW and I got the newer box. And here is a D serial 16710 full set for sale at Bobs watches and it also has the newer box:

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-gm...ref-16710.html

If you do decide to purchase I would ask to have a pepsi insert and/or a coke insert thrown in. (Not aftermarket insert)

Also if you do purchase you probably should get it serviced. So you have to factor that into the purchase price. The 16710 for sale at Bobs is probably a better deal. Because its already polished and looks good. And Bob services his watches before selling. And comes with a 1yr warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2th_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 04:15 AM   #8
Yousefsl
"TRF" Member

Yes I was mistaken sorry, further reading the new boxes came into existence in 2005

Old 11 November 2017, 06:01 AM   #9
Yousefsl
"TRF" Member

I have found a 2007 16710 with stick dials the box looks like it's the correct one for its time, here are some pictures, again it had been polished but does it look over polished.

Thank you all again.

Old 11 November 2017, 08:17 AM   #10
zwjk
"TRF" Member

I'd go for the Coke - it appears to be in much better condition than the first on you posted.
zwjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 09:32 AM   #11
Sky21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousefsl View Post
I have found a 2007 16710 with stick dials the box looks like it's the correct one for its time, here are some pictures, again it had been polished but does it look over polished.

Thank you all again.

The Coke looks to be in great condition and with the correct box and accessories. Looks like another D serial, so roughly a 2005 production date. Comes down to price, and if they are asking a premium for the stick dial. Good luck.
Sky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 09:46 AM   #12
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Price aside both look like good examples....the cosmetics stuff from 1st example can all be wiped off clean with a very light polish that wouldn't change the case much. Good luck.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 10:47 AM   #13
jcatt
"TRF" Member

With either watch, factor in the cost of a good service. If you believe the paperwork is sound, then a good watchmaker like Vanessa (search the site) will be great. If you don't trust the paperwork, then a Rolex Service Center (RSC) service is a great place for service for although it will cost more it will come with a service record, etc. and a 2 year warrantee that proves it's genuine, etc.
JCATT
jcatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 03:06 PM   #14
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Out of those, I would go for the Coke also. Just get yourself a new insert at an RSC and you would be good to go. One thing though, the second hand and GMT hand look a little discolored/dirty. That may be a camera trick-thing but I would make sure its not rust.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 11:33 PM   #15
Yousefsl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolehex View Post
Out of those, I would go for the Coke also. Just get yourself a new insert at an RSC and you would be good to go. One thing though, the second hand and GMT hand look a little discolored/dirty. That may be a camera trick-thing but I would make sure its not rust.
I didn't notice that before, I'll question that further before I go ahead with the purchase. Does the watch case look over polished to you?

Old 12 November 2017, 01:47 AM   #16
Yousefsl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolehex View Post
The dealer has assured that the watch is free from any rust and humidity and that it is only slight ageing on the hands.