The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 11 November 2017, 05:03 AM   #1
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
IWC portuguese perpetual calendar 502213

Fellow members I am hoping to get some feedback on IWC and the Portuguese. This is one of the watches I have had my eye on for some time to add to my collection and I knew the place to go would be here for some good old fashioned enabling.

Please share photos if not too much trouble.
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 01:35 PM   #2
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Here you go...

A few older pictures (as you can see from the date) but these are the most recent I have. I've had this watch for about 6 years, at the beginning it got a lot of wrist time but I've been trending downwards in terms of case sizes in the last few years.

My only advice would be to "buy smart", you can see from a quick search that these trade in the high teens to mid twenties depending on metal, condition etc. That's 50% off retail (a little more if you are paying taxes).

I haven't been following IWC in recent years but I do believe that the current model was updated a few years ago, new movement maybe some other changes but not sure. Obviously you need to factor that into my comment re pricing above.

Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 02:16 PM   #3
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Jay (Eire);8032790]A few older pictures (as you can see from the date) but these are the most recent I have. I've had this watch for about 6 years, at the beginning it got a lot of wrist time but I've been trending downwards in terms of case sizes in the last few years.

I haven't been following IWC in recent years but I do believe that the current model was updated a few years ago, new movement maybe some other changes but not sure. Obviously you need to factor that into my comment re pricing above.

Great looking watch, Is that the 42mm model? I believe they updated the case to 44mm in 2010 but I may have misread the article.
Old 11 November 2017, 09:22 PM   #4
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I also had this watch a few years back. It is a great looking piece with some serious wrist presence. The only thing I will say is if you accidentally mess up the calendar setting it has to go to Swiss headquarters to be reset. They can't do here in the states. That happened twice to me and each time was a few months away so I gave up on it.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 10:43 PM   #5
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwatchcollector View Post

Great looking watch, Is that the 42mm model? I believe they updated the case to 44mm in 2010 but I may have misread the article.
No, that's the current case (larger) case size, 44.2mm.

The drawback of the single crown operating all date setting is of course that it may take a longer time to set the date if you haven't worn the watch for a while as you must advance day by day. There is no quick set month or year or date.
Old 11 November 2017, 10:46 PM   #6
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
I also had this watch a few years back. It is a great looking piece with some serious wrist presence. The only thing I will say is if you accidentally mess up the calendar setting it has to go to Swiss headquarters to be reset. They can't do here in the states. That happened twice to me and each time was a few months away so I gave up on it.
How did you do that? Isn't the only way to mess this up to set the date forward a few days? Even then how far can you go as everything is operating via the crown.
Old 11 November 2017, 11:16 PM   #7
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
How did you do that? Isn't the only way to mess this up to set the date forward a few days? Even then how far can you go as everything is operating via the crown.
Very easy and happens a lot according to IWC! For me I prefer PC's that you can correct yourself. Again a beautiful watch though...

PS I had one from probably 2008 or so so it's been a while. I advanced it when messing around trying to undo my mistake and ended up messing it up more it by months and then years.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 12 November 2017, 12:10 AM   #8
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Very easy and happens a lot according to IWC! For me I prefer PC's that you can correct yourself. Again a beautiful watch though...

PS I had one from probably 2008 or so so it's been a while. I advanced it when messing around trying to undo my mistake and ended up messing it up more it by months and then years.
This would drive me mad. I had been considering one, but I have enough aggravation in my life without worrying about shipping a watch overseas every time my fat fingers make a major mistake setting it.
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 12:12 AM   #9
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Fellow members I am hoping to get some feedback on IWC and the Portuguese. This is one of the watches I have had my eye on for some time to add to my collection and I knew the place to go would be here for some good old fashioned enabling.

Please share photos if not too much trouble.
I had a similar question a couple of weeks back and got some good input (see this thread https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=566027).

My take - interesting, but I’ll live without the PC
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 12:57 AM   #10
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
This would drive me mad. I had been considering one, but I have enough aggravation in my life without worrying about shipping a watch overseas every time my fat fingers make a major mistake setting it.
I still don't understand how one can move the date forward more than a few days in error on this watch. You can only set the day, date, month, year via the crown. That's a lot of crown turning to make a error in setting.

Are we sure we are talking about the same watch?

One of the beauties of this watch is that you don't need silly pin pushers to adjust the date. BUT as I may have pointed out on your previous thread HK Islandboy the lack of pin pushers suck when this is a watch one doesn't wear often. Right now the date on mine is sometime in September I think.
Old 12 November 2017, 01:43 AM   #11
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
I still don't understand how one can move the date forward more than a few days in error on this watch. You can only set the day, date, month, year via the crown. That's a lot of crown turning to make a error in setting.

Are we sure we are talking about the same watch?

One of the beauties of this watch is that you don't need silly pin pushers to adjust the date. BUT as I may have pointed out on your previous thread HK Islandboy the lack of pin pushers suck when this is a watch one doesn't wear often. Right now the date on mine is sometime in September I think.
Yes I am talking of same watch and yes was easy to do and had to send twice to Switzerland. It was a pain in the butt and again they said sadly happens all the time. For me my Patek 5970R and 3970P were much easier to set and not a pain at all thanks to convenient pin pushers.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 12 November 2017, 06:26 AM   #12
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes I am talking of same watch and yes was easy to do and had to send twice to Switzerland. It was a pain in the butt and again they said sadly happens all the time. For me my Patek 5970R and 3970P were much easier to set and not a pain at all thanks to convenient pin pushers.
Explain to me how you can turn the crown so much that you advance the date so far ahead you need to send it back to Switzerland? I've messed up one in 6 year or so, I went a day ahead. So I just left the watch, power down, and let the date pass.

Were you just winding without looking for 30 minutes or something? Or was there a fault with the watch?

I'm really curious, I just can't see how what you're saying actually happens.
Old 13 November 2017, 02:49 AM   #13
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thank you for that information.

That's really a downside to owning this piece IMO but I doubt that will deter me from buying one due to my addiction.

I am still interested in hearing more and seeing additional photos if any one has this piece.
Old 13 November 2017, 03:09 AM   #14
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you for that information.

That's really a downside to owning this piece IMO but I doubt that will deter me from buying one due to my addiction.

I am still interested in hearing more and seeing additional photos if any one has this piece.
i like it a lot. I tried on the annual calendar though and thats the one i would get. Price aside its a better put together calendar. PC vs AC doesnt bother me that much and if the complications were reversed i would still pick the one with the calendar display in the three windows.

I just can't get past sub dials with more that one thing being displayed per dial, its too messy. Drop the power reserve indicator (move it to the back) and get rid of the seconds hand it would be way more legible and a tougher choice for me vs. the AC.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 03:41 AM   #15
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

IWC portuguese perpetual calendar 502213

I had the watch in gray dial 42mm. I didn’t have problem with the crown-setting. It’s a trade off. Drawback: if you messed up, it has to be sent in. Advantage: the watch case doesnt show those unsightly quickset button. I prefer IWC’s system, and I follow simple instructions. Another positive attribute of the watch is that the calendar changes (change in year) around midnight, whereas some perpetual calendars (e.g. JLC master moon) doesnt complete the new year switch after 2am.

However, I do want to say that the previous version, older caliber with single barrel, was notorious in accuracy and has poor isochrononism, something I’m sure you’re aware of. I dont have experience with the newer caliber, but in theory it should be more accurate and precise given that it has twin-barrels. But if you dont mind the mechanical aspect of a watch then it’s no concern...

The other factor worth considering is size, height and weight. The watch is a little top heavy, and therefore I had to wear it snuggly to avoid flopping around on wrist.

If you like the watch, I think IWC PC is a great bargain. Just my person opinions. Enjoy the hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
liu_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 01:14 AM   #16
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i like it a lot. I tried on the annual calendar though and thats the one i would get. Price aside its a better put together calendar. PC vs AC doesnt bother me that much and if the complications were reversed i would still pick the one with the calendar display in the three windows.

I just can't get past sub dials with more that one thing being displayed per dial, its too messy. Drop the power reserve indicator (move it to the back) and get rid of the seconds hand it would be way more legible and a tougher choice for me vs. the AC.
I agree something about the dial seems off but I have always had my eye on this piece. The 12 bothered me and I was able to move past that.. I have a feeling this will be incoming soon.
Old 14 November 2017, 12:20 PM   #17
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

I agree with you on the layout of the AC, like the PP 5205 I love the three windows display.

On the other hand I'm not sure the sundials on the PPC ever troubled me. In my 6 or 7 years of ownership I've not once been not able to see the information I wanted immediately. It helps of course that it's a 44mm watch, a 36mm Patek PPC and then maybe I agree!
Old 14 November 2017, 07:39 PM   #18
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Just to throw in a curveball, have you looked at the Blancpain Annual Calendar options ? They use very discreet correctors under each lug that you can push with a fingertip. The display back Villeret Quantieme Annuel is very elegant with the bonus of :a) GMT function b) probably deeply discounted on the secondary market.

asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote