The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 November 2017, 01:16 AM   #1
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Am I an Idiot?

I've been trying to score a few very in demand watches from ADs, Daytona white face, SS Dweller blue face.

Anyways, in my discussions with ADs, I came across a guy who works for a large shop with multiple locations that seems to always have great watches.

He tells me, buy a few watches off me and I'll get both on your wrist within 12-18 months.

In the last month he has called me to take a Batman and a Hulk, and like an idiot, I declined - clearly they get good stuff... Could've easily taken them, sold them here at MSRP to someone that wants them BNIB from an AD.

Anyways, he calls me up and tells me he has a TT Dweller with a white face and again lets me know that this would go a long way in getting what I actually want. $17k watch, but I see them selling at a minimum slightly above MSRP and they're still fairly difficult to source, so I'm debating taking it to pass it off to someone who hopefully wants it, but hasn't been able to find it.

Dumb move, smart move, no opinion?

Thanks forum.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 01:17 AM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Are you trying to be a watch dealer or buy watches that you want to own and wear?

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 01:20 AM   #3
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Are you trying to be a watch dealer or buy watches that you want to own and wear?

I want the Dweller and Daytona for me. I do like protecting my downside on purchases for myself, so buying these two BNIB from an AD at MSRP would accomplish this.

If I was trying to be a watch dealer, my business model of buying at MSRP and selling at basically the same wouldn't be a very good strategy
Old 14 November 2017, 01:21 AM   #4
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I wouldn't use the word idiot...but I wouldn't feel comfortable personally being a part of that.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 01:23 AM   #5
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I wouldn't use the word idiot...but I wouldn't feel comfortable personally being a part of that.
In what way?

- Trusting the AD to get you what you want eventually?

- Laying out $17k in a breakeven transaction

- Trying to sell the watch?

I'm not cash strapped by any means and have no issue laying out the funds until I get them back.
Old 14 November 2017, 01:30 AM   #6
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
It all depends on how much “play” money you have around and how much you want those models.

It also heavily depends on how much BS you think this guy is slinging.

Assuming everything he says is true and he could actually bump you up to the top, I would personally love to have a BLNR and LVC. I don’t care much for TT Sky d or not. So that does nothing for me.

Another thing to keep in mind is that, Yes, developing a rich sales history with an AD will position you well for hard to get watches, but the money I’ve saved over the years buying from Takuya and DSW easily covered the premium I paid for my Daytona C, as well as SSsky D if I ever decided to get one. Actually it would be a ten fold savings.

Anyway point being, I feel I’ve had better service from Takuya than most ADs could provide. If you really want a hard to get watch but don’t want to spend 10s of thousands on others just to get the one, consider paying he premium.

In 2+ years from now, when someone finally announces they’ve received their Daytona i can sit back and reflect on the prior three years of daily enjoyment of my watch. Paying a premium succks but so does waiting, which I’m sure you will still have to do even after buying several watches.
Chadridv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 01:31 AM   #7
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Serious addiction. I pictured the scene in a dark alley late at night
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 01:36 AM   #8
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
It all depends on how much “play” money you have around and how much you want those models.

It also heavily depends on how much BS you think this guy is slinging.

Assuming everything he says is true and he could actually bump you up to the top, I would personally love to have a BLNR and LVC. I don’t care much for TT Sky d or not. So that does nothing for me.

Another thing to keep in mind is that, Yes, developing a rich sales history with an AD will position you well for hard to get watches, but the money I’ve saved over the years buying from Takuya and DSW easily covered the premium I paid for my Daytona C, as well as SSsky D if I ever decided to get one. Actually it would be a ten fold savings.

Anyway point being, I feel I’ve had better service from Takuya than most ADs could provide. If you really want a hard to get watch but don’t want to spend 10s of thousands on others just to get the one, consider paying he premium.

In 2+ years from now, when someone finally announces they’ve received their Daytona i can sit back and reflect on the prior three years of daily enjoyment of my watch. Paying a premium succks but so does waiting, which I’m sure you will still have to do even after buying several watches.
I'm taking him at face value, seems pretty genuine, clearly gets good stuff, and this store sells a lot of watches so I would think they might get an extra Daytona or Dweller than a mom/pop AD... I mean in just a month he has called me for a Batman and a Hulk, so dumb not taking them, but that does give him some credibility IMO.

The way I look at it is I buy this and then the next time he has a Batman or Hulk take that - I should hopefully be +/- a few hundred dollars and then I'll save $6k on the Dweller or Daytona, then rinse repeat for the next one I want.

Lay out $25k, then get it back, then save myself $6k... Over 20% return on my investment.

These are kind of the numbers I'm hashing out in my head as opposed to just buying them for $18k.
Old 14 November 2017, 01:40 AM   #9
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post
In what way?

I'm not cash strapped by any means and have no issue laying out the funds until I get them back.
I guess what I'm trying to say is I wouldn't feel comfortable having to do something for somebody just to buy their watch. It's not that I don't think I couldn't do it, or that it was possible to do...I just don't want to do it.

If it works for you, however, more power to you. It's just not for me.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 01:43 AM   #10
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I guess what I'm trying to say is I wouldn't feel comfortable having to do something for somebody just to buy their watch. It's not that I don't think I couldn't do it, or that it was possible to do...I just don't want to do it.

If it works for you, however, more power to you. It's just not for me.
Gotcha, thanks.
Old 14 November 2017, 01:51 AM   #11
RonSwanson
"TRF" Member

We all know ADs give their best clients first crack at the desireable pieces, I think this guy is simply giving you a chance to become one of their preferred and established clients, and ultimately get the tough pieces you want. It would make his job easier to know all he has to do is call to sell a piece, and he’d reward that with allocations. My guess is if you don’t buy something he will start offering these to someone else. To be fair his offers this far have been pretty desireable, and he’s not asking you to buy a platinum day date in order to be considered.
RonSwanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 01:55 AM   #12
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
We all know ADs give their best clients first crack at the desireable pieces, I think this guy is simply giving you a chance to become one of their preferred and established clients, and ultimately get the tough pieces you want. It would make his job easier to know all he has to do is call to sell a piece, and he’d reward that with allocations. My guess is if you don’t buy something he will start offering these to someone else. To be fair his offers this far have been pretty desireable, and he’s not asking you to buy a platinum day date in order to be considered.
This is exactly where I am. He's offered me 3 in-demand watches so far. Other ADs who are trying to play the same game have basically offered me just that (DD40, WG Pepsi, Rose Gold Daytona, etc... I simply smiled and moved on in these instances). If I start taking his quality and fairly easy to resell pieces, I have to think he eventually gets me the watches I want.
Old 14 November 2017, 01:56 AM   #13
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
In what way?

You hope. I would never buy something you do not really want just to get something, maybe, later down the road you do want.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 02:03 AM   #14
Forum-Dweller
Banned

Don't ever pay over retail for a two-tone watch. Just look at the TT Daytona... they're impossible to sell for some reason
Forum-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 02:03 AM   #15
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Am I an Idiot?

Seems like the OP is being told by this dealer to establish a relationship with him. Just like with ADs, that’s done by making purchases. I see no problem with this, nor with the watches this dealer is suggesting. Sounds like this dealer is big enough to stand behind his sales just like an AD. That would be my only concern, and it seems like a non-issue with this dealer.
Old 14 November 2017, 02:08 AM   #16
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum-Dweller View Post
Don't ever pay over retail for a two-tone watch. Just look at the TT Daytona... they're impossible to sell for some reason
I've checked here, ebay, chrono24, etc... Basically, I've searched the world looking for TT Dwellers - cheapest sale I've seen at any of these places was $17,500 which was here, watch is $17,100 and I'm shipping across state lines to save tax. I think within a few weeks, maybe at even, or a tiny loss I should be able to move the TT Dweller. It is a nice watch, still hard to find, and the demand is there.
Old 14 November 2017, 02:09 AM   #17
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
Seems like the OP is being told by this dealer to establish a relationship with him. Just like with ADs, that’s done by making purchases. I see no problem with this, nor with the watches this dealer is suggesting. Sounds like this dealer is big enough to stand behind his sales just like an AD. That would be my only concern, and it seems like a non-issue with this dealer.
Exactly.

& Based on what he has already offered me, it does feel like a relationship here might be worth pursuing.
Old 14 November 2017, 02:12 AM   #18
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

I'm really just trying to get validation that I'm not a moron... Even though I might be.

I started this journey looking for a Daytona and Dweller, I wound up becoming a watch dealer.

lmao
Old 14 November 2017, 02:15 AM   #19
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
You hope. I would never buy something you do not really want just to get something, maybe, later down the road you do want.
Pretty much my sentiment too.

I understand that you can probably play the game and get ahead of it (financially) but why? If you think you will enjoy the process of buying, advertising, selling etc. then maybe this would be a good pastime for you with the benefit that it will help you get the Daytona faster (according to what the salesperson told you). Ultimately, I would be really annoyed by this sort of "blackmailing" from the seller and would look elsewhere.

One thing that is odd, is that the seller has offered you an LV and a BLNR which are quite desirable pieces. That is a bit surprising.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 02:20 AM   #20
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post

One thing that is odd, is that the seller has offered you an LV and a BLNR which are quite desirable pieces. That is a bit surprising.
This has earned him a lot of credibility from point of view. Now, I buy a TT Dweller for $17k and his next Hulk for $9k, I'm into him for $26k, I've picked up two tough to find watches - I've earned credibility from him. Ultimately, my hope is this earns me a good look at the tough to source watches that I don't want to overpay for.

I personally don't mind the buying and selling portion either. I've sold two watches and both buyers were very happy, it was actually a pleasant experience.
Old 14 November 2017, 02:24 AM   #21
Jimbogigolo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona W&B
Who is this AD?
Jimbogigolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 02:25 AM   #22
4srolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gears in motion
You have to asks yourself if you would wear the watch if it does not sell. If I can’t see the watch on my wrist it’s not for me.

When people ask how was your day? I tell them: "Same circus just different clowns!"
4srolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 02:30 AM   #23
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Is there enough time to pre-sell the watch before you have to commit?
Old 14 November 2017, 02:55 AM   #24
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've checked here, ebay, chrono24, etc... Basically, I've searched the world looking for TT Dwellers - cheapest sale I've seen at any of these places was $17,500 which was here, watch is $17,100 and I'm shipping across state lines to save tax. I think within a few weeks, maybe at even, or a tiny loss I should be able to move the TT Dweller. It is a nice watch, still hard to find, and the demand is there.
The TT Skydweller is quickly becoming a dog compared to the SS version.

If you are going to do this, you need to do it now so you don't LOSE $$$

Really the only HOT Skydweller is the Blue dial SS....The other SS are just ok.

TT is fading.

Gold versions are DEAD as DEAD can be
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 03:05 AM   #25
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
The TT Skydweller is quickly becoming a dog compared to the SS version.

If you are going to do this, you need to do it now so you don't LOSE $$$

Really the only HOT Skydweller is the Blue dial SS....The other SS are just ok.

TT is fading.

Gold versions are DEAD as DEAD can be
The black face BNIB is selling for $17k+, usually more - I'd consider that a hot watch. Even the white face SS is going for over $16k BNIB... Thats > 25% over MSRP.

TT's are still selling slightly above MSRP, but I'm just going to be looking to collect MSRP. Prob picking it up this week - worst case I lose a few hundred dollars, which I can live with.
Old 14 November 2017, 03:08 AM   #26
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The black face BNIB is selling for $17k+, usually more - I'd consider that a hot watch. Even the white face SS is going for over $16k BNIB... Thats > 25% over MSRP.

TT's are still selling slightly above MSRP, but I'm just going to be looking to collect MSRP. Prob picking it up this week - worst case I lose a few hundred dollars, which I can live with.
Soft Ask or CONFIRMED HARD SELL for $17K on SS Black?
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 03:13 AM   #27
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Soft Ask or CONFIRMED SELL for $17K on SS Black?
I don't think you're going to find it much lower, and I'm a price hunter. Maybe a private seller that is desperate and needs the funds, maybe you'll find a used one for $15k in that situation, but that would be a one off IMO.

All 3 models are selling well above MSRP, they're popular however you frame it.
Old 14 November 2017, 03:22 AM   #28
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
I think the 3 watches you mentioned, you can easily sell at sticker price and maybe even make a little profit. I am surprised the guy needed to go to you to move them. But if what he promised is real and you have the money, sure why not. Get those watches and sell them at what you paid for on the forum. You may be doing some people a favor. It is just a hassle to try to sell them, a bit risky, too.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 04:00 AM   #29
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes
I do not think you are an idiot at all. If there is a way to get some watch you like it is worth a thought at least. In this case you have only a promise of Daytona C and Blue Sky-Dweller, with AD you would get trustworthy source of promise. What i would think is that i buy pieces and then this 12-18months waiting time is prolonged to 24, 36, 48 months with all kinds of new explanations.

It is just very interesting that what is the key to this that grey seller sells you high demand pieces with normal price, and then you get highest demand pieces with normal price - as a gift kind of. It just does not follow common logic of markets and sales.
♛Deepsea Blue -17 ♛ Deepsea Blue -19 ♛Deepsea Black ♛Explorer I ♛Explorer II ♛ Explorer 1 ♛GMT-Master II BLNR ♛ Sky-Dweller Blue ♛ Sky-Dweller Black ♛ AirKing ♛ Day-Date 40 Platinum ♛ Daytona C White ♛ Submariner LVc ♛ Two-Tone Submariner ♛ Day-Date 36 ♛ Datejust 41 grey ♛
mahefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 04:13 AM   #30
carava501
"TRF" Member

It depends on whether or not your trying to buy just to own or if you are trying to re-sell?
carava501 is offline   Reply With Quote