The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 November 2017, 01:54 AM   #1
rbox
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Starter DSLR- Canon, Nikon or other?

We have some very knowledgeable photographers in our midst so I'd like to gather your opinions on starter DSLR gear for an aspiring hobbyist and commercial photographer.

Most of my shooting will be people, products and buildings/stores. Being a programmer, I have a technical mind if that makes any difference to the usability, and I have always been partial to Panasonic products.

Also, what are your thoughts on new vs. used equipment? Thanks!!!
rbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 02:36 AM   #2
j0oftheworld
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
The camera is actually the cheap part! Haha
Lenses depending on what you want to shoot is where research comes into play.
Do you have a large sensor portable (point and shoot) 1-3x style camera already? I love my Lumix LX5 and it has a while range of comparable competitors. It'll be nice to learn on and take with you on trips etc.
I also have a Canon DSLR with "kit" lenses, nifty 50, 13mm, and some filters, ie ND filter to capture motion blur in daylight.

Mr Bond, I suppose you wouldn't care to... um... raise the limit?
I have no objections. Looks like you're out to get me.
It's an idea, at that.
j0oftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 02:46 AM   #3
tamiya
"TRF" Member

I choose Nikon over Canon because back in film era Nikkor glass was sharper than Canon, but these days it's much of a muchness... but they still ain't interchangeable! Only real difference is Nikon DSLR bodies usually feel heavier than Canons at consumer level, up to personal preference.

These days do you even need a DSLR? Micro 4/3rds good for swappable lenses, or even a P&S from Panasonic/Leica/LUMIX could be the go. Nobody says you need to use the one camera body to do everything, why not try the best for each application.

Used pro gear can be good buying if you know what you're looking for, but entry level camera gear is so cheap nowadays the new stuff today do what pro stuff did not all that long ago. Sensor & image processing can make a difference depending on what you're snapping.

In terms of lifespan my own bodies are Nikon and they feel ready to go 150-200,000 shutter clicks without a sneeze.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 02:52 AM   #4
rbox
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0oftheworld View Post
The camera is actually the cheap part! Haha
Lenses depending on what you want to shoot is where research comes into play.
Do you have a large sensor portable (point and shoot) 1-3x style camera already? I love my Lumix LX5 and it has a while range of comparable competitors. It'll be nice to learn on and take with you on trips etc.
I also have a Canon DSLR with "kit" lenses, nifty 50, 13mm, and some filters, ie ND filter to capture motion blur in daylight.
I haven't owned a camera since I have been using cell phones, so I'm starting with a clean slate. I like the looks of the LX5, but will it accept other lenses or is it fixed?
Old 14 November 2017, 02:55 AM   #5
rbox
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
I choose Nikon over Canon because back in film era Nikkor glass was sharper than Canon, but these days it's much of a muchness... but they still ain't interchangeable! Only real difference is Nikon DSLR bodies usually feel heavier than Canons at consumer level, up to personal preference.

These days do you even need a DSLR? Micro 4/3rds good for swappable lenses, or even a P&S from Panasonic/Leica/LUMIX could be the go. Nobody says you need to use the one camera body to do everything, why not try the best for each application.

Used pro gear can be good buying if you know what you're looking for, but entry level camera gear is so cheap nowadays the new stuff today do what pro stuff did not all that long ago. Sensor & image processing can make a difference depending on what you're snapping.

In terms of lifespan my own bodies are Nikon and they feel ready to go 150-200,000 shutter clicks without a sneeze.
I'm not really up on the terminology as I haven't kept up with it over the years, so I'm not sure how relevant DSLR at this point. I would like to be able to add or swap lenses or accessories if the need arises.
Old 14 November 2017, 02:55 AM   #6
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Nikon
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 03:01 AM   #7
Pix
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Datejust
With what you describe, it sounds like a Full frame body assorted Tilt-shift for the commercial & building shoots, and medium tele for portrait work. Canon or Nikon does not matter (I'm a Canon shooter)
Pix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 03:04 AM   #8
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox View Post
I haven't owned a camera since I have been using cell phones...
To be brutally honest... I probably take better pics with iPhone and I haven't even gone to play with an 8 or X yet.
Old 14 November 2017, 03:08 AM   #9
rbox
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To be brutally honest... I probably take better pics with iPhone and I haven't even gone to play with an 8 or X yet.
I'm still on Blackberry believe it or not, but about to have to finally let go for an iphone. Yes I've been photographically impaired for a long time.
Old 14 November 2017, 03:10 AM   #10
Case61
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I've been shooting over forty years, and have enjoyed the progression of cameras into the digital age, mostly Nikon.

Generally speaking, any good quality DSLR body will do you a fine job. Higher-end models have more features and complications, but won't necessarily take a better picture when all is said and done. As others have noted, lenses tend to matter more (and can often cost more). Also, if you're talking studio photography of people or products, it's all about the lighting, which again can be a pricey proposition.

Above all, have fun!

Case61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 03:10 AM   #11
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm still on Blackberry believe it or not, but about to have to finally let go for an iphone. Yes I've been photographically impaired for a long time.
The camera on iPhone after 4 is mindboggling amazing, more so for its size & performance. It's fast & works great in low light. I avoid using flash.

For personal snapshots I have everything from GoPros to Point&Shoots to dedicated Handycam for video. DSLR used mainly with a fast prime lens for indoor no-flash or for longer Tele outside.

But yeah carrying a camerabag feels odd these days & public looks at you funny when toting a big DSLR around. Yet nobody cares if you're shooting with iPhone...
Old 14 November 2017, 03:14 AM   #12
rbox
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case61 View Post
I've been shooting over forty years, and have enjoyed the progression of cameras into the digital age, mostly Nikon.

Generally speaking, any good quality DSLR body will do you a fine job. Higher-end models have more features and complications, but won't necessarily take a better picture when all is said and done. As others have noted, lenses tend to matter more (and can often cost more). Also, if you're talking studio photography of people or products, it's all about the lighting, which again can be a pricey proposition.

Above all, have fun!

Thanks. I'm sure this hobby will keep me busy and compete with my Rolex fund. I haven't even started researching lighting yet but that's something else I will need to consider.
Old 14 November 2017, 03:16 AM   #13
rbox
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The camera on iPhone after 4 is mindboggling amazing, more so for its size & performance. It's fast & works great in low light.
I can't wait to get one. I take a lot of cell phone shots throughout the day.
Old 14 November 2017, 03:23 AM   #14
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I can't wait to get one. I take a lot of cell phone shots throughout the day.
Buy the biggest size memory!!

Biggest annoyance is memory is limited & there's no way in settings to make it take lower-res pics or video to make your memory go further.

(Like when I'm shooting any other camera & the memory is running low, I'd switch to a lower res rather than risk missing a vital shot)

2nd biggest annoyance is when you're filming a video & SOMEBODY CALLS how rude...!
Old 14 November 2017, 04:15 AM   #15
fkim011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sky Dweller
I would do Canon. Simply more users and bigger market to be able to pick up lenses on the second hand market without losing much or if anything at all. Good way to demo lenses, and if you don't like it...flip it.

I would start off using the 7D, first generation to start off. This is a great all around camera with a great (at the time) sensor to be able to do most of what you want for now. Till you learn anyway. Then after you get the functions and the shortcuts of the Canon down paired off with a great lense I would transition into the full frames.
fkim011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 04:34 AM   #16
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
Quote:
We have some very knowledgeable photographers in our midst so I'd like to gather your opinions on starter DSLR gear for an aspiring hobbyist and commercial photographer.

Most of my shooting will be people, products and buildings/stores. Being a programmer, I have a technical mind if that makes any difference to the usability, and I have always been partial to Panasonic products.

Also, what are your thoughts on new vs. used equipment? Thanks!!!
Programmer here too :)

when i asked the same question a few years ago (nikon vs canon) a friend told me:

Ask friends around what they have. You will want to swap lenses at times.

My friends had Nikon, so that's what i went with.

Bought the first, D3100 with just a single kit lens. Decided within two days that i want a longer zoom lens.

And since i like gadgets, saw that D5300 can transmit wirelessly to my phone, sold the D3100 and bought D5300 with two lens kit.

I bought both of those at costco.

I've been happy with the D5300 for a few years and i bought some more lenses.

Recently upgraded firmware on the D5300 and it started acting up and i also decided that i graduated to a full frame, so i bought the D850 the other day.

This is a whole different level and to be honest with you, i probably don't need it, but it's kind of like with watches. Do we really need a rolex? :D

Still, just for the amount of settings and learning and the cost, i would start with a DX camera and graduate to FX.

I bought the D850 from roberts camera, indianapolis and couldn't be happier. I bought the lenses from them too. If you decide to go that route, ask for Jodi and tell him Tea sent you (tay-uh).

so, other than the two kit lenses that came with the cropped frame camera, i have
50mm 1.4 prime lens
24-70mm 2.8
105mm micro

Good lenses are very expensive, so whatever you decide to buy, you'll probably stick with the same brand so you can use the same lenses.

Good luck!
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 04:51 AM   #17
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Can't go wrong with either Canon or Nikon. I'm a git of a Canon fan boy myself and have invested in a few of their lenses over the years.

I will say this, if you're planning on shooting interior shots of houses or buildings, get a camera body with a full frame sensor. Stay away from cameras with a crop factor because to fit a wider angle view into a shot you'll have to use lenses that will distort the image to fit it (kind of like a fish eye lens). Many real estate photographers seem to use this type of camera and their photos always distort the image of the rooms they shoot. My wife is a realtor so this is kind of a pet peeve of mine. ;)

B&H Photo is your friend for online purchasing.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 05:19 AM   #18
rbox
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG56 View Post
Programmer here too :)

when i asked the same question a few years ago (nikon vs canon) a friend told me:

Ask friends around what they have. You will want to swap lenses at times.

My friends had Nikon, so that's what i went with.

Bought the first, D3100 with just a single kit lens. Decided within two days that i want a longer zoom lens.

And since i like gadgets, saw that D5300 can transmit wirelessly to my phone, sold the D3100 and bought D5300 with two lens kit.

I bought both of those at costco.

I've been happy with the D5300 for a few years and i bought some more lenses.

Recently upgraded firmware on the D5300 and it started acting up and i also decided that i graduated to a full frame, so i bought the D850 the other day.

This is a whole different level and to be honest with you, i probably don't need it, but it's kind of like with watches. Do we really need a rolex? :D

Still, just for the amount of settings and learning and the cost, i would start with a DX camera and graduate to FX.

I bought the D850 from roberts camera, indianapolis and couldn't be happier. I bought the lenses from them too. If you decide to go that route, ask for Jodi and tell him Tea sent you (tay-uh).

so, other than the two kit lenses that came with the cropped frame camera, i have
50mm 1.4 prime lens
24-70mm 2.8
105mm micro

Good lenses are very expensive, so whatever you decide to buy, you'll probably stick with the same brand so you can use the same lenses.

Good luck!
Good information here. Thanks. I checked Best Buy but no selection. It looks like I'll be checking some camera and video equipment stores when I go out of town. I don't really have any friends who shoot or I would share with so that's not much of a consideration.
Old 14 November 2017, 05:34 AM   #19
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
Quote:
Good information here. Thanks. I checked Best Buy but no selection. It looks like I'll be checking some camera and video equipment stores when I go out of town. I don't really have any friends who shoot or I would share with so that's not much of a consideration.
This would be the current 5k series
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nikon-d...?skuId=5715104

I'd check costco too.
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 05:39 AM   #20
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Either Canon or Nikon are great choices.

Try B&H for perhaps the best prices.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 07:39 AM   #21
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
By no means am I a good photographer, nor claim to know much about photography. However I have been known to carry my dslr around and taken pictures of friends/family that still after many years get praise.

The last dslr that I bought that I still have is Canon 40D. A the time, I moved up from Rebel Xti to the 40D, and 50D was already out.

A good number of people in motorcycling world that I hang out with are into photography (some on this forum too, I think). Well, one of them had a 40D and I went browsing on his website, and I told myself: If I can ever take photos like these with a 40D, that would be the highest of my achievements!

Not sure how many years is 40D now... perhaps 7-8 years old... but I still cannot achieve even 10% of that friend's photo qualities, nor can I use anymore than 20% of the camera's capabilities.

Some good pointers above regarding full framed vs. cropped frame advantages, etc., but really, as a person just getting into this (and with a blackberry phone) - and I seriously mean no disrespect of any kind - you will be the weakest link in your photography, not your camera or lenses. Just trying to help you realize that it is not worth stressing over too much over the equipment and the minute differences Canon/Nikon/etc. might have.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 12:42 PM   #22
geebob
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyPro Explorer
You can take great pictures with either camera and either one can be a great beginner camera.

I use and have used both Nikon and Canon digital, Currently shoot with Nikon D750 and still use my trusty old FM2 film camera.

What I suggest you to do is to go to a camera store and hold each camera in your hand.

Try Nikon and then Canon (with lens attached), or Canon first followed by Nikon. Feel which one is more comfortable in your hand. Bring the camera up to your eyes, which one is more comfortable. If you still can’t decide, do a blind test. Close your eyes, grab each camera and hold each camera in your hands. Get the one that is the most comfortable in your hands.

I’m suggesting this because image quality, features, ease of use, technology and choice of lenses, are pretty much the same between those two brands...btw I think Canon has more lenses to choose from... so IMO it comes down to how comfortable it is in your hands.
geebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 01:34 PM   #23
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Start by deciding on the sensor. Full frame or cropped (dx). You cannot just switch the body and keep the same lenses so decide this before splurging on lenses.

Honestly, unless you plan on getting into serious amatuer or professional shooting, you would be fine with a cropped sensor. The price is a touch lower, the images are eaiser to store and work with (being slightly smaller) and the feature set on the higher amatuer bodies Nikon D 7300 for example are very similar to the pro full frame sensors.

In fact, you might be better served with a micro 4/3 sensor and a couple of nice lenses to start and then move into a full frame if the commercial work develops. The 4/3 will be an excellent backup.

The smaller the form factor of your system, the easier it is to carry and pack. This means you will have it with you more and be able to take those shots that pop up quickly and are gone. Plus, these systems are much less obtrusive leading to more natural candid shots.

My progression has been from a professional 35mm setup back in the day, to a prosumer digital in the early 2000s, to a high end cropped sensor Nikon to capture the fast action of my kids and, finally, to a small Sony DSC Rx100 now that the speed of these cameras has closed the gap from the dSLRs.

Frankly, I have not taken my dSLR gear out in over two years. Feeling a little guilty about that, but I get as good as quality images in 80% of the shots with a high end prosumer model similar to a micro 4/3. With a smaller camera, I can travel light and stealthily. I can walk around with the camera in my hand or jacket body and be ready to shoot in a moment - without being noticeable.

I cannot see travelling with my big camera system anymore. I had a chance to play with a friends sony 4/3 on a recent trip and was seriously blown away with its shooting ease.

If I need a portrait, or know I need extreme flash functions, sure dSLR. But even a micro 4/3 has bridged the gap in this department.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 01:36 PM   #24
rolex75216
"TRF" Member

The best review website for cameras that I know of is here - https://www.dpreview.com/

Best of Luck! Cheers!
Old 14 November 2017, 01:41 PM   #25
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

95% of the shot is the photographer’s eye in composition and technical skill, and post processing. A veteran will produce a greater result with a D70 versus a hobbyist with a D850. Keep that in mind before you spend $5k on a set up.
ckaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 02:16 PM   #26
themast
"TRF" Member

As many have already said Canon and Nikon are pretty much on par.

Anyway, if portability is a concern I would go mirrorless. Sony and Fuji have solid offerings in this space.
Canon is catching up but native lens offering is still limited.

If you want to stay on DSLR and not break the bank, I would suggest a Canon 80D and the mighty 50mm f1.8 to start with. Eventually you will have to add a wide angle for architecture/landscape and a tele for portraits but with this basic setup you can start to learn what it is important for you and go from there.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 03:00 PM   #27
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I had Nikon. Decided I didn’t like lugging around a camera bag. Sold it all off. The new Sony full frame stuff is really impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 03:07 PM   #28
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I’d suggest that you start with the Nikon d750 with the kit 24-120 lens - and add a cheap 50 F1.8 for low light

These are a comparative bargain as they are a couple of yrs old, have great autofocus, and amazing dynamic range. Full frame gives you better control over depth of field and I find that the image quality and ability to push around shadows in post processing and shoot in very low light is better with full frame than with a cropped sensor.

I am by no means a pro, but have been very very happy with my d750. I also own the nikon d500 (not the watch, alas) - the autofocus is incredible, but I’ve not been quite as happy with the shots that I’ve taken in challenging light.
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 03:09 PM   #29
buddymunster
"TRF" Member

Go with Sony. Lighter package. A6000 or A6300 are good starter mirrorless. If you have the funds full frame a7ii is good value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buddymunster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 03:22 PM   #30
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
As many have already said Canon and Nikon are pretty much on par.

Anyway, if portability is a concern I would go mirrorless. Sony and Fuji have solid offerings in this space.
Canon is catching up but native lens offering is still limited.

If you want to stay on DSLR and not break the bank, I would suggest a Canon 80D and the mighty 50mm f1.8 to start with. Eventually you will have to add a wide angle for architecture/landscape and a tele for portraits but with this basic setup you can start to learn what it is important for you and go from there.
The Fuji XT2 in particular looks to be a great camera and I really like the looks of the selection of glass that they offer.
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote