The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 14 November 2017, 04:41 PM   #1
Silver Bullet
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711
Which modern Calatrava holds its value best?

Thread title says it all ...
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 09:52 PM   #2
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 11:32 PM   #3
Silver Bullet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post

Haha. I don’t consider it a Calatrava.
Old 14 November 2017, 11:54 PM   #4
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Bullet View Post
Haha. I don’t consider it a Calatrava.
But it is as is the 5524
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 11:57 PM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

it is.

It always confused me that the 5524 also a calatrava is listed as a "complication" and not a calatrava by patek dispite calatrava in the name, but the 5164 is listed with the rest of the aquanauts and not with the complications dispite having the exact same functions.

Maybe the gold makes it more complicated vs ss
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 12:00 AM   #6
Silver Bullet
"TRF" Member

Which modern Calatrava holds its value best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
But it is as is the 5524

I’m not going to argue and will concede that If Patek calls them Calatravas, then they are, but I want to know which modern-day, round, Patek, precious metal, time-only (+/- date) dress watch holds value best.
Old 15 November 2017, 12:06 AM   #7
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

SS Calatrava
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 01:14 AM   #8
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Ok I’ll go with 5116 due to the relative rarity but I have no clue.
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 01:24 AM   #9
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
I want to know which modern-day, round, Patek, precious metal, time-only (+/- date) dress watch holds value best.
Over what period of time?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 01:39 AM   #10
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I don’t think these typically hold, like all of them
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 01:45 AM   #11
Silver Bullet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Over what period of time?

Well, I’m not asking anybody to look into their crystal ball and predict which will hammer for millions in 80 years.

I’m more interested in which I might lose the least if I buy new from AD and may want to sell a few years down the road (1-10yrs, say).

I really have no idea and my sense is that they all depreciate considerably.
Old 15 November 2017, 02:07 AM   #12
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Well, I’m not asking anybody to look into their crystal ball and predict which will hammer for millions in 80 years.

I’m more interested in which I might lose the least if I buy new from AD and may want to sell a few years down the road (1-10yrs, say).

Damn, poor OP has asked three times for a serious answer. I wish I had one, but I'm just here posing as a potential Patek Philippe purchaser.
Old 15 November 2017, 03:16 AM   #13
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

Then if you may want to sell in 1-10 years, it sounds like you should not buy the watch.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 03:31 AM   #14
KarlS
Banned

You will take a bath on all of them and in 10 years you shouldn't worry whether it's $1000 either way between .models. Buy what you like it's a watch not an investment
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 03:40 AM   #15
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
I like 5227R the most but who cares what i like

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 04:08 AM   #16
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
Not counting the 5522a, of the modern, current production Calatrava's I would guess the 5227.
MoosicPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 08:01 AM   #17
Silver Bullet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
You will take a bath on all of them and in 10 years
Thanks, that's what I thought . . .
Old 15 November 2017, 08:48 AM   #18
gccmd
"TRF" Member

I have no idea about how the value will be in the future but I would choose the 5196 for its heritage. It’s basically the modern version of the original Calatrava 96.
gccmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 09:13 AM   #19
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gccmd View Post
I have no idea about how the value will be in the future but I would choose the 5196 for its heritage. It’s basically the modern version of the original Calatrava 96.
This is what drew me toward the 5196G. It's the closest thing to a 96 and a 570. I actually love the non exhibition caseback... I know, I'm weird. As for longterm value, I doubt it'll ever be worth more than the price of admission.
s.m.b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 12:06 PM   #20
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Ignoring 5522A none.

6006g-001 & 5296g-010 are the coolest though. Buy one of them.
Old 15 November 2017, 12:56 PM   #21
jimglazer
"TRF" Member

Buy a preowned 5196 or 5296 with box and papers. You can find many extremely clean examples for sale if you look around You will break even if you don’t like it in the short run and over time it will appreciate modestly most likely.
jimglazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 01:04 PM   #22
Silver Bullet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Then if you may want to sell in 1-10 years, it sounds like you should not buy the watch.

Non sequitur.
Old 15 November 2017, 01:30 PM   #23
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.m.b. View Post
This is what drew me toward the 5196G. It's the closest thing to a 96 and a 570. I actually love the non exhibition caseback... I know, I'm weird. As for longterm value, I doubt it'll ever be worth more than the price of admission.

I agree, that's why I went with both the 5196g and 5196p.....

044 by
MoosicPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 10:03 PM   #24
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimglazer View Post
Buy a preowned 5196 or 5296 with box and papers. You can find many extremely clean examples for sale if you look around You will break even if you don’t like it in the short run and over time it will appreciate modestly most likely.
^^^This a sensible approach IMO.

As other have noted, the traditional Calatrava doesn't hold its value well. It's sad really, as these were the watches that built Patek's reputation decades before anyone ever dreamed of the luxury sports watch.

Who knows what collectors will fancy in the years to come. Perhaps a return to traditional dress watches bolsters the demand for these Calatravas and you'll be rewarded for your good taste.

At present any Calatrava purchased new at MSRP will take a substantial hit on resale. The Achilles heel of the 5196 in particular is its undersized movement which has been commented on many times. Eventually Patek will step up and manufacture an appropriate sized movement for their flagship Calatrava and not feel compelled to hide it behind a solid caseback.

I would also look at the 5120. It's recently discontinued but still readily available, and powered but the cal 240 - the same movement used in many of their high end complications. There may be others in the current lineup with the cal 240 and I'd look at those as well.

Movements are important to collectors, as much as the face, and anything powered by the cal 215 is already hopelessly outdated. I'd love to see a new 5196 with an updated manual wind movement designed for the modern Calatrava, but that would further devalue the existing model.

TL/DR version: Don't buy a Calatrava at MSRP with any hopes of retaining more tha 50% residual value when you sell, but don't let that discourage you from enjoying the watch. Over 10 years it's just the cost of ownership.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 10:41 PM   #25
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
They aren’t great for value retention, but I’d rather ‘lose’ $7k over a few years on a watch I love than lose $3k on a watch I wasn’t that crazy about. With luxury items it only makes sense if you love it, so find the one you like best and do plenty of research to find the best deal you possibly can.
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 10:59 PM   #26
The B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
^^^This a sensible approach IMO.

As other have noted, the traditional Calatrava doesn't hold its value well. It's sad really, as these were the watches that built Patek's reputation decades before anyone ever dreamed of the luxury sports watch.

Who knows what collectors will fancy in the years to come. Perhaps a return to traditional dress watches bolsters the demand for these Calatravas and you'll be rewarded for your good taste.

At present any Calatrava purchased new at MSRP will take a substantial hit on resale. The Achilles heel of the 5196 in particular is its undersized movement which has been commented on many times. Eventually Patek will step up and manufacture an appropriate sized movement for their flagship Calatrava and not feel compelled to hide it behind a solid caseback.

I would also look at the 5120. It's recently discontinued but still readily available, and powered but the cal 240 - the same movement used in many of their high end complications. There may be others in the current lineup with the cal 240 and I'd look at those as well.

Movements are important to collectors, as much as the face, and anything powered by the cal 215 is already hopelessly outdated. I'd love to see a new 5196 with an updated manual wind movement designed for the modern Calatrava, but that would further devalue the existing model.

TL/DR version: Don't buy a Calatrava at MSRP with any hopes of retaining more tha 50% residual value when you sell, but don't let that discourage you from enjoying the watch. Over 10 years it's just the cost of ownership.

I agree with these sentiments with a slight caveat, watch collectors are sometimes known to over romanticise the past when an long running benchmark is replaced - the interest may swing the other way - not likely in this case but possible. Also, I feel the 5196p is what I would buy as the platinum and Breguet often have the most interest.

That being said, even limited production and geographically constrained Calatravas like the SS for the Japan market years ago does not do well in the secondary market.
The B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 02:53 AM   #27
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The 5127 series seem to have held up fairly well.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 05:12 AM   #28
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Quote:
agree 100%

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 10:18 AM   #29
skippy1416
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 3410 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The B View Post
I agree with these sentiments with a slight caveat, watch collectors are sometimes known to over romanticise the past when an long running benchmark is replaced - the interest may swing the other way - not likely in this case but possible. Also, I feel the 5196p is what I would buy as the platinum and Breguet often have the most interest.

That being said, even limited production and geographically constrained Calatravas like the SS for the Japan market years ago does not do well in the secondary market.
I agree that the 5196P would be the best bet (for the reasons you mention).

I don’t understand why the Japanese SS with enamel dial hasn’t done well. Too small I guess. Although small it is a beautiful watch in a rare combo.
skippy1416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 07:34 PM   #30
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Apply to buy a special enamel dial Calatrava. That would be your best bet imho as other modern models are simply too common.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote