The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 November 2017, 01:24 AM   #1
scubadiver6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Why so manywatches without boxes and papers?

Hello All -

Very new to the forum - and to Rolex....

Looking at purchasing my first Rolex (Sub Date). I'm leaning towards used at the moment.

My newbe question:

Is there a legit reason why 95% of the watches I find have no box or papers included? (I find this especially true with dealers... Not as much via private party)

I've read lots on the forum about the pros/cons to having the complete kit, and I understand it all... But I feel like I'm missing a piece of info as to why so many are box/paperless - even ceramic subs that are a year or two old.
scubadiver6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 01:28 AM   #2
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Most Rolex are bought by people to wear and not collect. Wearers don't care about keeping unused junk in their homes. Mainly flippers keep the stuff. Do you keep all your shoe boxes?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 01:32 AM   #3
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Most Rolex are bough by people to wear and not collect. Wearers don't care about keeping unused junk in their homes. Mainly flippers keep the stuff.
Flippers can also be collectors. I'm also a "wearer" that would never throw away B&Ps or consider it "unused junk".

IMO it's just a personality thing. I keep original packaging & paperwork whether it's a pocket knife or a watch. Simply as that.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 01:36 AM   #4
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Flippers can also be collectors. I'm also a "wearer" that would never throw away B&Ps or consider it "unused junk".

IMO it's just a personality thing. I keep original packaging & paperwork whether it's a pocket knife or a watch. Simply as that.
Of course there are exceptions but just trying to explain why. This increases as watches get older.

Old 18 November 2017, 01:42 AM   #5
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yeah, but the large majority of wearers aren’t forum goers or enthusiasts. I keep watch boxes, but I’m sure there’s some box for something else I’ve purchased that will, unbeknownst to me, be collectible in 50 years and my relatives will wish I’d kept that box, instead. Maybe my first iPod?
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 01:45 AM   #6
Dave-B
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
What I find even more unusual is that you can find a full set bar the papers/warranty card, I mean how do they manage to keep everything but lose the papers!!
Dave-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 01:48 AM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Because some people are not detail oriented

They "lose" other things in their lives as well
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 01:52 AM   #8
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

I bought my Sert sub from a non AD jewelry store. Luckily, they had the full package including box with the outer sleeve, anchor, booklets and original Rolex sales receipt from the original owner. It was 4 years old.

Lee
ingoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 01:53 AM   #9
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-B View Post
What I find even more unusual is that you can find a full set bar the papers/warranty card, I mean how do they manage to keep everything but lose the papers!!
Again, many don't see value in keeping expired warranty paper work. If it weren't for my joining the forum I never would have thought about it. Also, boxes can easily be purchased as can all the other doodads but paper work has to match.

Old 18 November 2017, 01:54 AM   #10
RolexesRNice
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadiver6 View Post
Is there a legit reason why 95% of the watches I find have no box or papers included?
I have a few watches that are pretty nice - a Rolex that was given to me in a red silk bag by a bro-in-law who undoubtedly never keeps ANYTHING like boxes and probably threw it away IN the jewelry store (!), some type of thin Seiko also given by the same bro-in-law, and some watch that starts with a 'C' (that literally is all I remember about the still-owned watch!) that was given to me by Yet Another bro-in-law that =I= threw the box away for.

Since all the watches are actually worn (admittedly the Rolex is mostly just stored away to be brought out (of the safety deposit box) for special occasions) there is no reason for official boxes nor paperwork - take the watch off, drop in (wallet) cardboard box top in drawer, take out of box top when it's time to wear it!
RolexesRNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 01:56 AM   #11
scubadiver6
"TRF" Member

So, really, it comes down to personal preference....

There is not a real/legal reason why so many don't have all original materials....

Wow.

I posted the original (and somewhat silly) question simply because Rolex has a bit of a fanatical following to it... I was (and still am) surprised to find so many missing boxes and papers that I felt I was missing some key info.
Old 18 November 2017, 01:56 AM   #12
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Quote:
Most Rolex are bought by people to wear and not collect. Wearers don't care about keeping unused junk in their homes. Mainly flippers keep the stuff. Do you keep all your shoe boxes?
Oh yes , I keep all my shoes boxes with original receipt in them until I no longer wear them as best, or throw them away . Some of my shoe boxes are getting on 30 years old , in fact I have often thought of setting up a shoe box collecting forum .
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 01:58 AM   #13
911Turbo
"TRF" Member

Continuing this discussion further, what if any should be the price difference / percentage between a complete set and one without all the stuff?
911Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 02:00 AM   #14
scubadiver6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed.... Most bizarre.

It made me wonder if people keep papers/warranty info when they sell the watch because they are concerned about personal info going into the wild.
Old 18 November 2017, 02:14 AM   #15
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Your name and sometimes address is on the card. Just depends on what the AD does. Some people don’t want this information out there.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 02:20 AM   #16
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Its a collector thing and i get it .. Box and papers are a must for vintage but i wear the watch not the box and papers. I always keep my box and papers watches,guns,knifes most everything but it does take up space.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 02:22 AM   #17
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRWATCH View Post
Oh yes , I keep all my shoes boxes with original receipt in them until I no longer wear them as best, or throw them away . Some of my shoe boxes are getting on 30 years old , in fact I have often thought of setting up a shoe box collecting forum .
yeah i keep shoe boxes,,
i like the cloths and bags that come with Gucci,Boss,Bally,Church, etc boxes plus keeps them out of the light,,,,jay
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 02:26 AM   #18
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
To the original poster... if you really are a newbie looking at used Subs without box and papers, be very careful and make sure you are buying from a very reputable seller. Don’t get scammed.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 02:28 AM   #19
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
For expensive items, I try to keep the box and everything that came with them.

Tech and 3C products, I will keep them for a year.

But to answer your question.. maybe people misplaced them, threw them away, or maybe it is a stolen watch.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 02:53 AM   #20
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Yep
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 02:56 AM   #21
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Yeah, but the large majority of wearers aren’t forum goers or enthusiasts. I keep watch boxes, but I’m sure there’s some box for something else I’ve purchased that will, unbeknownst to me, be collectible in 50 years and my relatives will wish I’d kept that box, instead. Maybe my first iPod?
What I’m saying is that it’s a personality thing, and as other have mentioned there is a relation to the value of the item.

You mentioned iPods. I’m not on iPod, iPhone or tech forums but I’ve kept every box I’ve ever bought for those types of devices. I wouldn’t call myself an iPhone enthusiast, especially not the same way I’m a watch enthusiast.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 02:56 AM   #22
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangier11 View Post
Yep
Concise...but meaningless...

Old 18 November 2017, 03:04 AM   #23
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What I’m saying is that it’s a personality thing, and as other have mentioned there is a relation to the value of the item.

You mentioned iPods. I’m not on iPod, iPhone or tech forums but I’ve kept every box I’ve ever bought for those types of devices. I wouldn’t call myself an iPhone enthusiast, especially not the same way I’m a watch enthusiast.
Yeah, it could be you’re just a good ol’ OCD hoarder.

In my case, keeping boxes for everything isn’t exactly easy when you consider closet space in 100 year old homes near downtown in a city. After the return window is over, I primarily only keep watch boxes (and I’m a one watch guy,) a box for one pair of somewhat collectible sneakers, and camera boxes (because I usually flip them later on down the line.)

I could easily see how someone who isn’t a WIS would throw away watch boxes.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 03:09 AM   #24
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadiver6 View Post
Hello All -

Very new to the forum - and to Rolex....

Looking at purchasing my first Rolex (Sub Date). I'm leaning towards used at the moment.

My newbe question:

Is there a legit reason why 95% of the watches I find have no box or papers included? (I find this especially true with dealers... Not as much via private party)

I've read lots on the forum about the pros/cons to having the complete kit, and I understand it all... But I feel like I'm missing a piece of info as to why so many are box/paperless - even ceramic subs that are a year or two old.
There are plenty of used watches for sale that come complete with box and all accessories. Buying a newer pre-loved watch would be a deal breaker for myself unless it was a complete set. And I know for fact certain trusted sellers are not interested in doing a transaction with your watch unless it is a full set. Buying a 8-50K or more watch and then tossing the box and booklets in the garbage because it is "worthless junk" just is not logical at all.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 03:42 AM   #25
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Boxes can be bought separately very easily and there are no numbers to match.
For the paper, it is useless unless the numbers match.
MILGAUSS88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 04:17 AM   #26
scubadiver6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee View Post
To the original poster... if you really are a newbie looking at used Subs without box and papers, be very careful and make sure you are buying from a very reputable seller. Don’t get scammed.
Thank you....

I'm only considering "full kit" subs because I'm a newbie... And finding a submariner with the complete kit is harder than I thought...
Old 18 November 2017, 04:27 AM   #27
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post

But to answer your question.. maybe people misplaced them, threw them away, or maybe it is a stolen watch.
This.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 04:37 AM   #28
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
In general, I keep a box until the item is out of warranty. If it's out of warranty and I see the box, it immediately gets recycled. This forum has taught me to be different with watches, but I'm still amazed that some people keep the stickers and hang tags. I get the warranty card, but who wants the hang tags from a 5-year old watch?
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 04:39 AM   #29
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
i think people withold papers with names etc for privacy reasons.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 04:41 AM   #30
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post

i keep tv boxes for moving them. same with speakers.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote