The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 November 2017, 02:00 AM   #1
zoso
"TRF" Member

I assume this is water damage?

Hello, members. I just looked at my watch today, a gift from my dad before he passed away and noticed the face was foggy. I then felt the pin and it was a little loose. I’m broken and feel sick. Safe to say I’m in for some major repairs? I’ve stopped in at the Rolex store in the past and spoke about maintenance and they quoted over a grand, easy. They also said it could be a lot more beause Rolex won’t work on the watch and not repair everything that needs to be done, which would probably be waaay out of my budget. Should I just store the watch? I’d love some input on my options. Thanks for your feedback. Owen.

81DB2ED4-80F9-488B-99E6-50328A37DDAD.jpeg
zoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 02:28 AM   #2
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Try an independent watchmaker instead of Rolex.
Old 18 November 2017, 02:31 AM   #3
Aclockworkblue
"TRF" Member

Just had my YG DayDate sent to Rolex. It was a little over a grand.
Why would RCS not work on this?
Aclockworkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 02:32 AM   #4
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
If it looks that damaged I'd want a full service done. What do you want done? I'd hate to buy a watch that looks good but has a water damaged mechanism.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 02:33 AM   #5
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Speaking as a dad, if I passed that watch on to my son, I would hope he would restore and enjoy wearing it.

Having said that, though, I realize the passion for watches is not for everyone...and I wouldn't want to impose a financial burden on anybody. So...just use your best judgment.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 02:34 AM   #6
Ad11wrd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso View Post
Hello, members. I just looked at my watch today, a gift from my dad before he passed away and noticed the face was foggy. I then felt the pin and it was a little loose. I’m broken and feel sick. Safe to say I’m in for some major repairs? I’ve stopped in at the Rolex store in the past and spoke about maintenance and they quoted over a grand, easy. They also said it could be a lot more beause Rolex won’t work on the watch and not repair everything that needs to be done, which would probably be waaay out of my budget. Should I just store the watch? I’d love some input on my options. Thanks for your feedback. Owen.

Attachment 905651
Depends on sentimental value, store it away unti you can afford to repair it
Ad11wrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 02:34 AM   #7
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
It may come to quite a few $$$$ but on such a lovely piece and the emotional attachment you have to it then it may be worth paying the rsc to make it "new" again..
best of luck Zoso,,,,jay
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 02:38 AM   #8
Xerxes77
Banned

Yes
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 02:47 AM   #9
zoso
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys. So, I was afraid to wear this watch when he first gave it to me, but I was told the safest and best place for it was on my wrist. I’ve worn it every day since, so it means a real lot to me.

As far as what I’d want, I guess I’d want it to be repaired and safe from the water damage. At this point I’m a still a bit shook up and just sick over it. I’m just a normal guy, that has a Rolex. I don’t have a crazy job or anything and I know that watches like these should be maintained and I’ve always sort of dreaded it and what it may cost, but it sounds like my hand has been pushed.

Question, if the watch sits for too long with the moisture, will it make the watch that much worse? Thanks again.
Old 18 November 2017, 02:52 AM   #10
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks guys. So, I was afraid to wear this watch when he first gave it to me, but I was told the safest and best place for it was on my wrist. I’ve worn it every day since, so it means a real lot to me.

As far as what I’d want, I guess I’d want it to be repaired and safe from the water damage. At this point I’m a still a bit shook up and just sick over it. I’m just a normal guy, that has a Rolex. I don’t have a crazy job or anything and I know that watches like these should be maintained and I’ve always sort of dreaded it and what it may cost, but it sounds like my hand has been pushed.

Question, if the watch sits for too long with the moisture, will it make the watch that much worse? Thanks again.
The longer the worse to a point that it only has case, crystal, and bracelet value. Get it repaired sooner than later. How long has it been like that?

Old 18 November 2017, 03:00 AM   #11
zoso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
The longer the worse to a point that it only has case, crystal, and bracelet value. Get it repaired sooner than later. How long has it been like that?
Just noticed today, so probably happened today or overnight.
Old 18 November 2017, 03:03 AM   #12
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Just noticed today, so probably happened today or overnight.
Quickly hack the movement if it's still running and place it in a sealed bag of uncooked rice to absorb the moisture. Get it repaired asap. Sorry to hear!!!!

Old 18 November 2017, 03:04 AM   #13
MonBK
Banned

Quote:

Let it sit a couple of weeks and you'll end up buying a new movement.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 03:20 AM   #14
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
open the watch back if you can and let it air out then off to service asap.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 03:31 AM   #15
zoso
"TRF" Member

Does this community know any Rolex certified watch repair in Massachusetts? I’m stressig out a bit now. Or should I just go to the Rolex store and have them deal with it? Thanks for the feedback.
Old 18 November 2017, 03:40 AM   #16
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Does this community know any Rolex certified watch repair in Massachusetts? I’m stressig out a bit now. Or should I just go to the Rolex store and have them deal with it? Thanks for the feedback.
Send it to Rik in Tampa and it will come back looking like new and most likely cost you less then a grand.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 04:22 AM   #17
usling15
"TRF" Member

Water damage

A grand now, or several grand later. Bottom line.
usling15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 04:39 AM   #18
JManuel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1975 Explorer II
if it was a gift from your father, I´d get that watch fixed ASAP!
JManuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 04:53 AM   #19
zoso
"TRF" Member

The stress for me now is finding someone semi local to me. I’m in New Bedford Massachusetts. So, Mass or Rhode Island. Should I just hit the closest Rolex dealer? I have no idea where to go or who is good and trustworthy.
Old 18 November 2017, 04:56 AM   #20
EDL7
"TRF" Member

Listen to the folks that know more than you...send it to Rik...asap...ship it out..
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 04:58 AM   #21
Canefan1
Banned

Call your closest ad’s and ask if a watchmaker is on staff.
Canefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 05:01 AM   #22
Sprta
"TRF" Member

Also keep in mind that the watch is also an asset. Even though you may never sell it, it will be something of value to leave to your heirs. Plus whenever you wear it it will remind you of your dad.
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 05:04 AM   #23
zoso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDL7 View Post
Listen to the folks that know more than you...send it to Rik...asap...ship it out..

Does he have a website to contact him through?
Old 18 November 2017, 05:10 AM   #24
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
The stress for me now is finding someone semi local to me. I’m in New Bedford Massachusetts. So, Mass or Rhode Island. Should I just hit the closest Rolex dealer? I have no idea where to go or who is good and trustworthy.
I am in Massachusetts as well, and yet to find a local service that I trust and could recommend, which is why all my service is with RSC.

You need to act quickly and make your decision as the longer you wait to service, the costlier the repair.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 05:17 AM   #25
zoso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
I am in Massachusetts as well, and yet to find a local service that I trust and could recommend, which is why all my service is with RSC.

You need to act quickly and make your decision as the longer you wait to service, the costlier the repair.
Is RSC Rolex Service Center? Sorry, this is all new to me.

If anyone knows contact info or site for Rik, please post. Thanks so much.
Old 18 November 2017, 05:32 AM   #26
breitlings
Banned

RSC is rolex service center. time is of the essence here. I would see if you can find a local watch maker in MA who can open the watch today. If you go with Rik or Vanessa I would send overnight saturday delivery and call to make sure they can do an immediate intervention tomorrow.

Any idea how this happened in terms of exposure to water?
Old 18 November 2017, 05:42 AM   #27
rolexFL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Does he have a website to contact him through?
timecareinc.com - I believe
rolexFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 05:49 AM   #28
zoso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
RSC is rolex service center. time is of the essence here. I would see if you can find a local watch maker in MA who can open the watch today. If you go with Rik or Vanessa I would send overnight saturday delivery and call to make sure they can do an immediate intervention tomorrow.

Any idea how this happened in terms of exposure to water?
Thanks for the response. Let me start by asking, is it Rik Dietel? I googled and found a website with that name as repairman. I tried to look up loca places, but other than Rolex stores, I can’t really find anyone that close to me.

I’m not positive how the moisture got in, but I check the pin right away and it was a bit loose, so I’m assuming that’s what did it. Im an idiot. I’m so focused on screwing it tight too. I guess I just messed up.

So this morning when I noticed the moisture, I took the watch off, unscrewed the pin and put it on the dash of my car for the day so the sun would hit it. I just got into my car and the inside of the bezel isn’t cloudy anymore. But it’s safe to assume there is still moisture inside, correct?

Trust me guys, I’m really stressed and know, from all your reactions, that I need to act fast.
Old 18 November 2017, 05:56 AM   #29
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the response. Let me start by asking, is it Rik Dietel? I googled and found a website with that name as repairman. I tried to look up loca places, but other than Rolex stores, I can’t really find anyone that close to me.

I’m not positive how the moisture got in, but I check the pin right away and it was a bit loose, so I’m assuming that’s what did it. Im an idiot. I’m so focused on screwing it tight too. I guess I just messed up.

So this morning when I noticed the moisture, I took the watch off, unscrewed the pin and put it on the dash of my car for the day so the sun would hit it. I just got into my car and the inside of the bezel isn’t cloudy anymore. But it’s safe to assume there is still moisture inside, correct?

Trust me guys, I’m really stressed and know, from all your reactions, that I need to act fast.
Rik Dietel I believe is his name, I don't know Vanessa's last name she posts on here quite a bit under Vanessa CW21 (Jewelers on Time in Newport Beach, CA iirc) and could also be another option.

Don't beat yourself up, its not a huge deal, it just needed service.
Old 18 November 2017, 05:59 AM   #30
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
For the time being, there is the trick of putting the watch in a bowl of uncooked rice which may help to draw (at least some) of the moisture out.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote